Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 180181182183184 216>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2019 at 15:15
^ Wow, I'm impressed.   That is bad.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2019 at 00:18
Destroyer

Grim, hyper-realistic portrayal of a weary L.A. police detective on the trail of an old case, Destoyer yields some engaging moments and atmosphere.   But though Nicole Kidman immerses herself in the role, she's never quite able to overcome the superficial plot and tone of this slightly depraved and somewhat forgettable crime thriller.

Edited by Atavachron - May 03 2019 at 02:10
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2019 at 05:17
a Cure for Wellness (2016) Directed by Gore Verbinski

Great name for a horror director yes, but mercifully, he never tries to live up to it. Starts promisingly enough as a meditation on the rampant capitalism inherent in providing exorbitant rest cures for erm...uber successful capitalists. (Poachers farmed by Gamekeepers?) This idea is never explored in any depth however and we soon degenerate into a hybrid Lovecraft/Poe 'Dorian Gray with pet eels' style romp shot in the beautiful medieval castles of Germany. You know the back story drill: Aristocrat weds 'sis' in quest for racial purity and everlasting life. Scandalised local villagers break out the pitchforks and wreak their horrific revenge. 'Baron Douchebag' survives and attempts to dip his own daughter. Daughter (Mia Goth - yes really) with complete justification and some mounting 'daddy' issues, protests vigorously and is saved by young venture capitalist turned flotation tank surfer (Dane DeHaan) The movie looks fantastic but Verbinski seems to lose his nerve half way through and abandons a satisfying tension between the old stratification (hereditary peerage) and the new (corporate wealth) Based very loosely on Thomas Mann's Magic Mountain novel, a Cure for Wellness just ends up as a missed opportunity.

Edited by ExittheLemming - February 04 2022 at 22:42
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2019 at 07:17
Room For Rent (2019)
I was born in the early 80s, but 99% of what I love was made before me. Most movies lately are awful, and a few might be decent, but this was pretty good. Does anyone know any movies like this?
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2019 at 09:02
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Room For Rent (2019)
I was born in the early 80s, but 99% of what I love was made before me. Most movies lately are awful, and a few might be decent, but this was pretty good. Does anyone know any movies like this?

I don't know if you have seen the so-called "apartment trilogy" by Roman Polanski ("Repulsion" from 1965, "Rosemary's Baby" from 1968 and "The Tenant" from 1976). "The Tenant" is in my opinion the closest to "Room For Rent", but by no means the same. All three movies are rated highly on Imdb (7.8 for "Repulsion", 8.0 for "Rosemary's Baby" and 7.7 for "The Tenant"). In my opinion "Repulsion" starring an absolutely brilliant (and dazzlingly beautiful) Catherine Deneuve is the best. The best portrayal of a woman who is gradually breaking down mentally ever. But all three movies are definitely worth watching.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2019 at 10:24
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Room For Rent (2019)

I don't know if you have seen the so-called "apartment trilogy" by Roman Polanski ("Repulsion" from 1965, "Rosemary's Baby" from 1968 and "The Tenant" from 1976). "The Tenant" is in my opinion the closest to "Room For Rent", but by no means the same. All three movies are rated highly on Imdb (7.8 for "Repulsion", 8.0 for "Rosemary's Baby" and 7.7 for "The Tenant"). In my opinion "Repulsion" starring an absolutely brilliant (and dazzlingly beautiful) Catherine Deneuve is the best. The best portrayal of a woman who is gradually breaking down mentally ever. But all three movies are definitely worth watching.

Ahhh! I just typed out a LONG reply, and then got an error message and couldn't retrieve.

Thanks for the reply. I've seen all of them, and "The Tenant" was probably the most interesting out of the trilogy, although that same year, "Herr Klein" was released, which deals with existence, which I thought was better.

Speaking of Polanski, I'd urge anyone who likes an original movie with tension to check out "Knife in the Water". Many in my movie groups have NOT seen this, but I think its his best. I really like "Chinatown" as well, which isn't surprising considering they got one of the best writers in Hollywood (Robert Towne), as well as Jack Nicholson who is usually very good, even though he plays similar characters in almost every movie of his.

P.S. - Before the CAPTCHA problems, I'd always copy, so that I could paste after.

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2019 at 10:44
"Knife in the Water" is definitely highly recommended too.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2019 at 01:00
Apollo 11

Remarkable collection of unused archival footage from the 1969 moonshot creates a perspective previously unseen with a high-quality doc that illuminates the historic event as if it just occurred yesterday.

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 09:56
Just out of the theatre from watching Rocketman, i felt it more than Bohemian Rapsody. Bust to jump on the comparison wagon. A very strong, touching but also corney in some aspects. Its a musical. I missed some songs that would have worked in the story they build but the songs they playd were perfect. Some omissions to certain facts are painfully misplaced. The origin of Eltons artist name did not deserve this altered story but i understand its a fantasy version. Its a very goos film but with some unlucky omission and song omiting. a 7,5/10
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 12:53
^ Elton is always behind the pack trying to capitalize on what's popular, like when he made Tantrums and Tiaras after the success of Madonna's Truth or Dare.   Fairly pathetic I think, an irrelevant songwriter desperately clinging to whatever popularity he has left.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 17:28
"Written in the Wind" - 7.5/10

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 17:57
Us

Well-made if a bit hard to swallow, a family vacationing in Santa Cruz is confronted by a brood of undead who turn out to be an alternate version of them.   With an interesting twist, the plot is fairly simple but what makes this movie stand out is it's the first film I know of to depict an African-American family in completely normal terms:  they aren't a 'black family', they're just an American one, which is culturally significant and refreshing to see.

Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 18:52
Of the more recent films, "April 9th" is an eye-opener but you'll need subtitles.

I'm a sucker for the old Hitchcock movies

Shelled out for "Aladdin" and it is fun, but apparently "not as good as the cartoon" according to the wee critics

"Le diner de cons" (French version) is funny and sad if you don't mind subtitles

"Romantics Anonymous" is very charming and funny (also subtitled)

"Ice Station Zebra" is a decent old Cold War submarine flick with amazingly innovative camera work

If you haven't seen the "Manon de la source" movies, they are also very good but sad.

"Sarah'a Key" is gut wrenching

Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 19:04
"October Sky" also excellent if you like science
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2019 at 06:53
The Battle of Algiers - 10/10
This is the first movie I've watched with my mom. I had a few errands near her house, and I said I'd come over if she'd watch this. Reading isn't her forte, so I had to read the subtitles aloud for her.

Lo Chiameremo Andrea - 6/10
This is the first movie I had to watch without subtitles. My Italian is much better than I thought. This is on YouTube if anyone might be interested. This is the 22nd movie De Sica (my favorite) directed that I've seen, but De Sica has about 10 masterpieces I'd check out first.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2019 at 06:54
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

"Ice Station Zebra" is a decent old Cold War submarine flick with amazingly innovative camera work

I asked my name-sake about a movie that best described modern society, and Mort mentioned that movie, but I don't watch movies for cinematography. Would I still like this?

Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2019 at 09:44

Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

I asked my name-sake about a movie that best described modern society, and Mort mentioned that movie, but I don't watch movies for cinematography. Would I still like this?

I think you might prefer the others I mentioned much better (except maybe Aladdin). ISZ is just so beautifully shot and, of course, there was no CGI back then, so you might be impressed nonetheless. The plot is a fairly typical Cold War story.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2019 at 16:07
The Other Side of Hope - 8/10  - Very good, touching movie. I wish it would have went on a little longer, because it was good, but also for resolve.
Lights in the Dusk - 6.5/10 - Kaurismaki usually has a positive to all the conflict, so this was quite a departure, and hence, probably my least favorite drama out of the 15 I've seen of his.
Le Havre - 7.5/10 - I wish there was more connecting, between Marcel/wife, and Marcel/Idrissa, but I loved the inner warmth, and the warmth to those around them, even if it wasn't "professional" (I hate that word so much - which is usually a euphemism and an excuse to be "do-nothing" type of person)
Man Without A Past - 7.5/10
Drifting Clouds - 7.5/10

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2019 at 16:35
The Tomorrow Man

In a quiet drama about two lonely people who live and meet in a small town, one a paranoid prepper and the other an obsessive hoarder, John Lithgow and Blythe Danner pull off a good script with class though the strange & sudden final scene makes for an unsettling ending.   

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 02:23
Arctic

Mads Mikkelsen in a sensitive performance as a stranded pilot struggling to survive alone in a frozen expanse.   When a helicopter crashes trying to rescue him, Mikkelsen takes a gravely injured woman into his care, eventually attempting to save them both.   Great photography of Iceland and almost devoid of dialog, Mikkelsen stated that it was the most difficult shoot he'd ever had.   Recommended.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 180181182183184 216>