Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 195196197198199 215>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2022 at 03:30
^ That movie is in my "to watch" list. I'll watch and review it soon.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2022 at 05:00
Your tight nucleus enwraps your inderiction of exploring hammering igloes. From every amd each person is in order of the tumbler and will never resist the warp- blast
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2022 at 05:04
^Hey...can I get a hit off whatever you're smokin' there?
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2022 at 12:17
Abgeschnitten (2018 - Germany): A finely crafted European thriller. A good balance of mystery, horror, action, and adventure here. Some nice plot twists too. 7.5/10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2022 at 15:07
Past Shadows (2021 - US): Christendom fantasies... It is fine by me. I'm not anti-religious. Good that the fantastical element -an ancient Middle Eastern relic made of glass- was not the central element of the plot. As it was insufferably stupid. Like something that my 15-year-old self could come up with. Well, it could be central, but not in a way that one would expect. Its storyline on IMDb is deceiving, and most of the reviews there are presumably fake. 10/10? Are you serious guys? Big smile Anyhow, it was not boring and was very easy to watch. I had already been used to watching such movies, shown in late hours on some Turkish TVs. This was one of the average ones of them. 6/10

Edited by Shadowyzard - January 12 2022 at 15:18
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2022 at 14:54
Antichrist - notorious film that didn't quite live up to its reputation I think. Probably shocking to a regular moviegoer, but not if you have any gorehound experience. It was the opening scene that was the difficult one to watch. 

Frankenstein, The Bride of Frankenstein and The Mummy - classic Universal monster films. The Bride... is quite silly and melodramatic until the last 15 minutes or so. 

Fargo - Coen brothers' best film, a modern classic. 

Edited by Hiram - January 14 2022 at 14:56
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2022 at 15:42
El aviso (2018 - Spain): I've developed an interest in such Spanish movies with some twisted plots. They are generally good, and this was not an exception. 7/10
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2022 at 11:11
Eternals - A bit overlong for me, but my wife enjoyed it. Started well but, like a lot of these type of movies, petered out at the end. It does fit in with the MCU and there was the odd reference to other events, but I think this (and possible future movies) will stay in its own world. 6.5/10
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2022 at 12:02
^ I was about a third the way through it last night when our whole village lost power. Downed power lines just south of town apparently. Overnight temp outside was around -21c (-35c with the windchill). It didn't come back on till 9:40 this morning. So once we thaw out a bit I'll have to get back to it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2022 at 15:25
Pod (2015 - US): This was a strange movie. One might even give it a 1/10 or a 10/10. Both modern and old-school. In middle and high school, our exam marks were between 1 and 5, and if you got a score of 70 out of 100, you got a 4/5. I was a lazy student, so 70 was a good score for me. Especially in maths and science classes. I'll give 7/10 to this movie. Think it like 4/5. Clown

Travellers & Magicians (2003 - Australia/Bhutan/UK): Immersive and impressive. A beautiful cinematic experience. An authentic delight. 9/10

Edited by Shadowyzard - January 15 2022 at 15:44
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2022 at 16:05
Extinction (2018 - US): One of the fun Netflicks (palinpropism). Betwixt, there lurk some surprising plot twists. So, wait till the second part. Am I spoiling the fun? The following movie ruined my fun, so I want you to share the same fate with me. Tongue Flashy-clashy sci-fi of a good quality. It has a premonitory value and a morally ambiguous ending too. 7.5/10

Clara (2018 - Canada/US): Where should I begin?.. It was like a "work hard - party hard" type of movie. But, a crapfest inside a movie is not that nice. I'm quite tolerant to nonsensical, implausible things in the movies, so long as the craftsmanship is satisfactory. This movie is more believable than, say, Tabernacle 101. But, it is not enough. The first 3 quarters of the movie DEMANDS a different continuation and ending. Interstellar did this MUCH BETTER. This movie was a total failure. And the sad thing is that, it had a fantastic potential. One thing to conclude: That scientist is not that smart. Just a fragile person masking it with sternness and rigidity. A smart person would/should interpret all those events differently. But, he "needed" that kind catharsis and took them all literally. The major problem of the movie was, it was neither plausible nor dramatic enough. All those events can really happen, you know, anything can happen. But, the word "plausible" took its roots from the Latin word for "to applaud". And, this movie does not deserve it. 5/10

Edited by Shadowyzard - January 16 2022 at 16:07
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2022 at 15:11
2:22 (2017 - Australia/US): This was not a Groundhog Day replica in the use of time loops as its central plot element. Except for the ending, it was a good one. Presumably original too. All those "patterns" end in nothing worthy of remembrance, as in real life. 6.5/10

Edited by Shadowyzard - January 17 2022 at 15:13
Argentinfonico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2022 at 17:38
Citizen Kane: 10/10
Vertigo: 10/10
-Will I see you tonight?
-I never make plans that far ahead.

Casablanca (1942)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2022 at 14:50
The King of Masks (1996 - China/Hong Kong): I love movies that can evoke pathos without being over-sentimental. A touching story, priceless acting. Cinematic excellence. Yayy-yeah! 10/10
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2022 at 10:46
A Hero (Asghar Farhadi, 2021). Saw this film this week. I very much like Farhadi's first feature films: About Elly and A Separation. I was less convinced by his subsequent films. A Hero is a solid film: a great script - a bit in the vein of A Separation - and great acting (and direction of actors). Cinematographicly speaking it is rather sober; as such it serves the script well, but I think he could have been a bit more inventive in the image department. Great film though, that I can recommend to those who like social justice themes.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2022 at 14:45
A Writer's Odyssey (2021 - China): 6/10

2534709-0

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2022 at 15:31
The Irrefutable Truth About Demons (2000 - New Zealand): This was quite a sight. One of the, if not the, best satanic movies that I've ever seen. Could be unsettling for some, but not that much, I guess. Great addiition to the horror genre. Deserves far better recognition. 9/10
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2022 at 15:43
Eternals (2021)
(fantasy)
cast of thousands
4/10

What a mess !
They threw everything including the kitchen sink in this 2-1/2 hr. cacophony.
Almost no real character development or any way of becoming truly invested in them. It took me 4 nights to make it through, I was getting soooooo bored.
Please god...NO SEQUEL !
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2022 at 13:46
Tenet (2020)

I almost feel like I need to watch this again to understand it. The underlying foundation this is based on is something called "inverted entropy," where bullets that become inverted travel backwards in time. So, instead of a bullet leaving a gun barrel, it travels from where it hit back into the barrel. This premise is taken further in this move, where all kinds of objects become "inverted" including people. It's a rather complicated movie and a bit hard to wrap your mind around (sort of like Predestination, but not quite as bizarre nor as paradoxical, though information is being shared back and forth in the timeline). The science of this is questionable, but if my memory is right, neither do Einstein's equations give a specific direction of time. It's about equal parts science fiction and action thriller, with the latter being the more dominant. I find the concept this is based on an interesting brain teaser and as is expected in a lot of films involving bizarre movements through time, a lot of things you don't understand become clearer at the end of the film when all the loose strings are finally brought together. Even so, there seems to be some strings left unanswered as to give the filmmakers the excuse to make a sequel. 

The biggest downside for me was the volume. I often have to raise the volume at least 7-10 levels just to hear the conversation parts and then lower the same amount when an action scene appears. There are times when the background music is too loud and you can't quite hear the conversation.

Also of note is a nice scene with 87-year old Michael Caine.

Overall, 7/10.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2022 at 14:50
The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath (2003 - US): A truly ambitious Lovecraft adaptation. Crude but good drawings (be prepared to see a Legoman Randolph Carter, lol), simple but OK animations, great voice acting, fitting thematic musics... and overall a real accomplishment. Like reading a comic book with audial support. It has the D&D vibe to it. The labyrinthine and adventurous air gave me great pleasure. Lovecraft's corpus seems like an infinite resource for the artists. 9/10

P.S. I would love to see an adaptation of Parlement of Foules or Niels Klim's Underground Travels in this vein. 

Edited by Shadowyzard - January 23 2022 at 02:45
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 195196197198199 215>