Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 216>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroSpence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2008 at 00:03
The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian: I never saw the first one (Well I had read the book and saw the old BBC series), but the first NEW one looked kind of sh*tty (rented it tonight though haha).  Anyways, this movie was actually good.  The acting might be lacking a bit, but most of the actors were...CGI animals, the others did an ok job.  The story was still good though, and the battle scenes were pretty sweet.  7/10

Pathfinder:
DVRed this a few days ago because I didn't want to rent it or see it in theaters as it looked like crap.  A remake (I believe), and it was not surprisingly, BAD.  I was hoping there would at least be some sweet Viking vs. Natives battles, but those were lame too.  AVOID this. 1/10

When We Were Kings:
A wonderful documentary on Muhammad Ali and the famous "Rumble in the Jungle" with George Foreman.  It was very well done and Ali was spectacular.  Most of the film focused on the weeks leading to the fight and the man that is Ali.  However, the fight is shown too (highlights mostly, but still great).  I recommend this. 9/10

Knocked Up: Another recent DVR.  I was never too interested in paying heaps for it as it didn't look that great compared to the likes of 40 year old virgin, or Superbad.  It had funny moments, but I get sick of Seth Rogan constantly playing himself, and the whole Judd Apatow train has kind of worn itself out.  Good for a few laughs, but I wouldn't really even pay 5 dollars to rent this.  5/10.

Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2008 at 03:41
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

I'm going to give Miike Takashi's Visitor Q another try later, I've seen about half of it and other than the fact that its very uncomfortable watching, I'm not quite sure what to make of it.

Isn't that sort of surrealist movie supposed to make you uncomfortable? Tongue
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2008 at 03:41
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Queen By-Tor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2008 at 11:20
LOL

I thought that would have been the best movie of the year Wink
darkmatter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2008 at 13:31
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Indiana Jones 4:  http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/img/facepalm.jpeg

Yea... that pretty much sums it up....

I'm not sure why this movie got such high ratings... I don't think I'd give it more than 2 or 3 out of 10.

Edited by darkmatter - May 22 2008 at 13:35
Mikerinos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikerinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2008 at 18:18
Control (2007) - I think this is the only post-2005(maybe 06) movie I've watched and I enjoyed it.  It's a film depicting the life of Ian Curtis of Joy Division.  The acting is very well done, plus enjoyable the entire way through.  It's entirely black-and-white, but if you're familiar with Joy Division, doing it in color wouldn't make much sense.  Great soundtrack, featuring mostly Joy Division and New Order, but besides that it has Supersister, David Bowie, plus some good punk songs.  8/10
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroSpence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2008 at 01:52
Indiana Jones "4" - I'm surprised people are saying this sucked.  It was the same old good adventure movie that was the first three films, only Indy is older.  Sure it wasn't perfect, and there were parts that could have been removed, but overall it was very well done and I'm glad they decided to make another great adventure film.  Something that has been mostly absent in the last two decades. 8/10   (the only downside I see is that there have been many many young people going to see this without having seen the previous three.  Which makes no sense.  Why would you go to the fourth movie before 1 2 or 3? )
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2008 at 01:54
Originally posted by BroSpence BroSpence wrote:

Indiana Jones "4" - I'm surprised people are saying this sucked.

Yeah, I'm surprised people are saying it's good. There's a major disconnect, and I don't get it.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2008 at 11:57
New Police Story- Jackie Chan has gone back to Hong Kong to make films again and this is a good thing because most of his big hollywood films (except Rush Hour and Shanghai Noon) sucked. I'm a huge fan of the classic Police Story so was a bit aprahencive as to whether this would match up, but it does. Darker and laking much of the slapstick comedy of the first two, it focuses on a cop that is very much out of faver and now on a self destructive path after a raid went very badly wrong. Probably the best acting I've seen from Chan here and the martial arts scenes ae as good as you would expect from a Hong Kong film, 8/10. 
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2008 at 13:27
The Flock - *** Special Note on this one...This movie was filmed in and around Albuquerque, NM and our Lab actually made a few props for the film, nothing big just a few odds n ends you see for about 5 seconds, ha! The movie stars Richard Gere as a Case Worker for Department of Public Safety who goes around and checks up on the Registered Sex Offenders around the area, also stars Claire Danes as his protege, over all the film is like a "Se7en"-lite, I wanted to like it but I have to be honest it was pretty lame, but it was neat to spot the locations in my hometown and of course the props we made get screen time, those props are a set of huge vampire teeth my boss made which I mounted on one of my articulators and you can also see my old belt-motorhandpiece in the background, a few of our other rusty old dental tools were used too, also kind of neat is they show the articulated vampire teeth in the rotation of the DVD Menu, Avril Lavigne also had a small part in this movie and none other than Ray Wise (Leland Palmer of Twin Peaks fame) which I was the most excited about, was in this movie! I couldn't care less about the other boobs that were in the flick butIm happy to say I had a very small contribution to a movie that Leland Palmer was in! Yay! (4/10 - which is generous but an extra point earned due to the personal connection)
Mikerinos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikerinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2008 at 13:44
Indiana Jones 4 should be treated as a mediocre comedy film and nothing more. Wink
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroSpence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2008 at 12:22

Yeah, I'm surprised people are saying it's good. There's a major disconnect, and I don't get it.

Why did you think it was so bad though? 
Mikerinos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikerinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2008 at 14:14

It could have been good if the plot and action weren't augmented to the extent where it seemed to be basically just a special effect demonstration for ADHD children with little content whatsoever.  There were a lot of moments where I just had to laugh because it was so lame and over-the-top.  If I were 12 or under, I probably would have loved it.
avalanchemaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalanchemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2008 at 02:48
The Entrance-  2007 (Jove Pictures/Sleeping giant entertainment)
this film had excellent writing with gritty storytelling of the macabre kind, dealing with a priest's account from the 17th century of a demonic possession of a nun.  We flash to modern times and the games begin.  And by games, I mean nefarious life-or-death games involving punishment for everyone's sins.  Overall the movie was a well spun yarn, like I said, excellent writing, however the payoff needed to be phenomenal to make the film over the top.  It is pretty easy to guess what happens, but it is entertaining.  Of special interest is the dark, sinister ambient soundtrack, with piercing scrapes and drones, violent string explosions and crescendos.  (then they ruin it with some bad nu-metal song during the credits...why do they think I want to hear some hackneyed pop with distorted guitars?) worthwhile........ although I cannot decide if the christian undertones were too much or not....7.5/10

Edited by avalanchemaster - May 26 2008 at 02:49
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crimhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2008 at 02:55
Land of the Dead - Got it from the library. On a scale of 1-4 I'd give it a 2.5. Not scary and not his best work. It could be Romero is running out of gas on this zombie subject. I thought that the idea of the zombies learning was good but they learned too quickly. Another problem I had was that the main zombies never went after humans. They went against there drive to eat. Lots of gore but nothing more than his last 2 movies. I haven't gotten to see Diary of the Dead yet.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2008 at 13:39
The Last King of Scotland - Based on the events of the brutal Ugandan dictator Idi Amin's regime as seen by his personal physician during the 1970s, pretty entertaining and realistic movie, not sure where this was made but I think was perfect location filming, I liked the traditional African chant + AfroPop music used throughout the movie, and Forest Whitaker did an outstanding job as Idi Amin, brutal ending too...I'd say at least - 6.5/10 or even 7/10 for me

Romulus, My Father - a movie based on the memoir of some philosopher chap named Raimond Gaita, cataloging some of the events in his young life dealing with a wacked out depressive mother and a father who struggled to hold things together....I pretty mild movie, nothing thats going to rattle your senses well acted and fairly well executed nothing more I could really demand out of this movie - 6/10

Kakushi-toride no san-akunin (Hidden Fortress) - another great Samurai Epic from Akira Kurosawa, a little more comical than I thought it was going to be but thats fine, I thought the focus of Chiaki and Fujiwara and their greed for gold was a hilarious driving force throughout the movie, the over all story is finely detailed an unpredictable, very satisfying film - 8/10

1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1800iareyay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2008 at 22:24
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull- I tried to go in without expectations, but deep down my inner child just couldn't help himself. "Indiana F**king Jones!" he yelled, and went on about the fedora and the whips and the ophidophobia. So I went in, and could hardly contain myself as the lights went down on my first and likely only theater experience with Indiana Jones.

It starts out with that awesome "Somewhere in Nevada" print over a desolate desert being ridden by an Army convoy. They pull up on a base, and suddenly hop out, take over and start speaking Russian. YESSSS. How did a platoon of Ruskies make it in the US and get army uniforms, weapons, and transportation? Who cares?! This is pulp fiction at its finest. Then, they bring in their shadowed hostage who puts on a fedora, and you know who it is. Harrison Ford looks more badass know than ever, and his world-weary slant on this aged Indy makes an impression with his first lines. This is brilliant.

Then time goes by. The utter thrill of seeing Indy for my first time on a screen that is finally big enough to contain all the action doesn't waver as we learn what little we will ever learn about the skull. Sure, the ark and the Holy Grail have a history, but this is some random made up thing (technically based on real objects but you'll soon see a noticeable difference), so I can kind of forgive it for the moment.

Then more time goes by. The initial thrill begins to give way to a growing uncertainty as some lame lines come in, the skull's importance and, most importantly, powers go unexplained, and I start noticing some really forced humor. In, say, Raiders, the humor is all delivered in context, which makes it funny and relevant and avoids stopping a film just to get in a pithy one-liner or some visual gag.

Then the monkeys come. This scene brings the movie to a (literally) screeching halt. Without giving anything away, this is the beginning of the end for me. From here on out, the CGI gets truly awful in spots, and yet the film is obviously relying on it because the script just cuts out any semblance of intelligence. Why is it that the two men most responsible for creating CGI have some of the worst effects in years in this film, especially one they both have a lot invested in.
The initial joy of Harrison Ford looking just as awesome has now given way to the realization that he has no dialogue; he's speaking in one-liners. The ending is completely unsatisfactory because even at the end I know what the skull is but not what the reward is supposed to be. The other films have something that offers some sort of benefit; there is never a reason for the good guys or the bad guys to be seeking it.

In the end, Harrison Ford is just as good, if not better, than ever before, and Shia continues to put in excellent performances in mediocre blockbusters. Everyone else puts in performances never above decent. It's so over the top that it doesn't ever feel like an Indy movie. My buddy tried to call me on criticizing realism in an Indy film, but look at Raiders: the one thing you really have to stretch to believe is the actual effect of the Ark. When he runs from boulders, you feel the thrills and you fear for Indiana. At no point in this movie are he or his friends in danger, and it makes the whole thing bland. Of course I knew Indy would "win" (for lack of a better term), but to this day Raiders keeps me on the edge of my seat. I mean, for God's sake, he can even speak every language he comes across. It went from good to awful in an hour, and never rebounded. 6/10
avalanchemaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalanchemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 00:12
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405821/

Casshern- (2004 Kazuaki Kiriya- based on a 1973 anime by the same name)
holy f**king sh*t!  MIND=BLOWN.  best movie I have seen in years!

11/10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a superb allegorical and timely movie with great psychological/spiritual depth that probes the nagging questions of the nature of humanity and suffering- a very Zen/meditative movie with spectacular effects and shots, lots of action and still time for a great story that is on a par with Akira/Tetsuo the iron man/The Matrix....etc.  those wacky Japs (I love them) write some of the best films/anime/manga/stories ever!!!!  a real developed and human tear-jerker...weepsk.

Edited by avalanchemaster - May 27 2008 at 00:19
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 00:24

1. CGI
2. Ridiculous plot (even by Indy standards)
3. Animated monkeys/prairie dogs
4. It's basically Tomb Raider 3, not Indiana Jones 4
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 14:40
Originally posted by avalanchemaster avalanchemaster wrote:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405821/

Casshern- (2004 Kazuaki Kiriya- based on a 1973 anime by the same name)
holy f**king sh*t!  MIND=BLOWN.  best movie I have seen in years!

I thought it was okay, but didn't like it as much as you, my main problem it was too much content crammed into one film, I like the plot and the themes and the setting, but I feel they could have streched it out and delivered the intention better over the course of maybe 3 films!  a trilogy would have worked IMO, Im also not crazy about the absurd fighting scenes put to techo/dance music, I can't stand that crap, I fall asleep as the first punch is thrown,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 216>