5 [16.13%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog survival
    Posted: May 15 2008 at 12:47
I'm really curious about your answers...
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 12:57
(This is all imo! And all is hindsight, I wasn't around at the time)

Some consider Prog a fad of the 70s, but fads come and go but fans stay forever really. Prog is great music and
it's got a nice big ol' following in the underground scene. Prog heads may be hard to find in every day life,
but those you find are completely dedicated to the genre. Sure, the critics started to destroy the genre and the
bands started to shift going into the 80s, but I think the fans who later became the neo and metal bands are
what kept the genre going.

Prog will never die yo'!
Dr. Prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 13:09
the idea that prog 'disappeared' or was killed off by punk or some other such rubbish is just that----rubbish. It simply went underground and was less in the mainstream because of changing tastes and market manipulation. Some styles fell more out of favor than others. This idea that prog was killed off and slayed by the big bad monster of punk is hilarious, and has been foisted on us by prog hating media, led by Rolling Stone magazine, and film clips of Johnny Rotten wearing I hate Pink Floyd shirts. Rotten years later confessed he actually liked Pink Floyd and it was all a marketing gimmick for the Sex Pistols. Many of the writers who started working for the big music periodicals in the late 70s and early 80s were younger and came from a punk background, and absolutely hated prog rock with a passion. Those kinds of writers kept writing for those kinds of magazines, and writers who liked prog did not, which exacerbated the anti-prog sentiment in the press. Don't believe everything you read.
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 13:45
Rather just went underground.
There is a life beyond mainstream media.
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 13:46
Originally posted by Dr. Prog Dr. Prog wrote:

the idea that prog 'disappeared' or was killed off by punk or some other such rubbish is just that----rubbish. It simply went underground and was less in the mainstream because of changing tastes and market manipulation. Some styles fell more out of favor than others. This idea that prog was killed off and slayed by the big bad monster of punk is hilarious, and has been foisted on us by prog hating media, led by Rolling Stone magazine, and film clips of Johnny Rotten wearing I hate Pink Floyd shirts. Rotten years later confessed he actually liked Pink Floyd and it was all a marketing gimmick for the Sex Pistols. Many of the writers who started working for the big music periodicals in the late 70s and early 80s were younger and came from a punk background, and absolutely hated prog rock with a passion. Those kinds of writers kept writing for those kinds of magazines, and writers who liked prog did not, which exacerbated the anti-prog sentiment in the press. Don't believe everything you read.

Great post. ClapClap

I don't really have anything to add to that.
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 13:52
Originally posted by MovingPictures07 MovingPictures07 wrote:

Great post. ClapClap

I don't really have anything to add to that.

Same here. Although I must add that Dr. Prog already mentioned the Johnny Rotten aspect that I was going to cover. I've also heard that he supposedly tried out for/was interested in trying out for Henry Cow. However I'm not sure if that's true or not. If someone who knows could mention that, I'd appreciate it.
Dr. Prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 13:53
just an added thought, if anything, it was disco that did more damage to prog than punk, at least here in the US. Punk here in the US stayed more in the background or underground in the late 70s. I was in high school at the hieght of the disco madness, and my buddies and I would go to these parties which had turned into disco parties seemingly overnight, and we would put on Yes's Close to the Edge or ELPs Brain Salad Surgery in place of the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack or KC and the Sunshine Band on the turntable, just to piss off the neatly coiffered open shirt chain wearing types who thought they were John Travolta. Needless to say, that made it harder for us to pick up girls at the parties too........

Edited by Dr. Prog - May 15 2008 at 14:28
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 13:58
It's funny, I completely forgot about the whole disco thing. I know I'd like to do that exact same thing to some of
the house parties I've seen around. "Screw Fergie! You guys need to hear some of THIS" and then put on some
BSS or hell, Of Natural History!

But hey, who needs to get laid when you can listen to prog? LOL
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 14:43

just an added thought, if anything, it was disco that did more damage to prog than punk, at least here in the US. Punk here in the US stayed more in the background or underground in the late 70s. I was in high school at the hieght of the disco madness, and my buddies and I would go to these parties which had turned into disco parties seemingly overnight, and we would put on Yes's Close to the Edge or ELPs Brain Salad Surgery in place of the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack or KC and the Sunshine Band on the turntable, just to piss off the neatly coiffered open shirt chain wearing types who thought they were John Travolta. Needless to say, that made it harder for us to pick up girls at the parties too........

Yeah, I never lived through the 1970s, but that sounds perfectly logical to me and I always did believe that over here disco had more of an epochal impact than punk did (though in my generation it would be vice versa, so it seems).

CTTE would be hilarious enough to see, but I think putting Brain Salad Surgery on there would be hard to top in terms of responses. Sounds great. LOLLOL
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 14:50
Originally posted by King By-Tor King By-Tor wrote:

It's funny, I completely forgot about the whole disco thing. I know I'd like to do that exact same thing to some of
the house parties I've seen around. "Screw Fergie! You guys need to hear some of THIS" and then put on some

Yeah, refer to the "Prog or Sex" poll.
funny stuff.LOL

Edited by king of Siam - May 15 2008 at 14:58
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 14:51
Originally posted by King By-Tor King By-Tor wrote:

This reminds me...

I went to an extremely small private high school, and when you reached senior year (if you did... my school had the reputation of being notoriously really tough academically) they initially allowed you the privilege of a little room (which we called the Senior Lounge... but this could be taken away obviously with stupidity). Everyone pitched in and got a stereo for it so that we could listen to music during lunch, study halls, and after school.

And one day, after school the lounge was completely empty as it was during Senior Play time and I wasn't working in the play (I'm not much for that), and so I dug out none other than "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" by Dream Theater. When everyone returned about 10 minutes later, I had just skipped to "The Great Debate". Needless to say, it was shut off nearly immediately. LOL

Though, on this topic, I did occasionally get some opportunities to express my taste. I always came in to school early every morning, so one morning I dared to put on Kansas's "Leftoverture" (since the first song everyone knew), and nearly the ENTIRE album actually got played once, despite the fact that a couple of classmates listened to Carry On like 3 times. I still found it amazing that they finally shut it off halfway through "Magnum Opus". Big%20smileWacko

Most of the time though... it was crap, crap, and HORRIBLE crap. Not even just your normal pop music, but really awful stuff like "Fergie" and stuff like that. Dead I didn't bother bringing in my music most of the time in the fear that my CD would get lost or who knows what. Ouch

Oh, wait, what was the topic? LOL

Edited by MovingPictures07 - May 15 2008 at 14:53
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 03:27
Prog survived because there was a significant minority of listeners who really liked it.   Prog "died" because prog bands were chasing after the market share that they had had back in prog's heyday (along with a dearth of new ideas to satisfy prog heads.)  When market forces or artistic considerations brought them back to prog or inspired new artists to fill the niche, prog was reborn.  This is close to your neo prog idea, but not so close that I can vote for it.  I'll vote other.

Let me add this, because of the number of votes that you have for the idea that prog never "died."  Of course prog never died out completely.  But anybody who wants to argue that it didn't virtually disappear from the musical landscape in the '80's is welcome to indulge in that fantasy.  I think we can all agree that prog went on lifesupport, for the most part.  Claiming that there was never a problem is blinding oneself.

Let me also say that, while progmetal is the single most important evolution of prog in the last twenty years, prog would have enjoyed a resurgence without it, due to the reason I gave in the first paragraph.

Edited by ghost_of_morphy - May 16 2008 at 03:34
Draconis View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 18:19
The response getting the most answers - "Prog never really disappeared" - merely restates the premise of the question ("why did it survive?"). So I'm discounting it on that basis. I chose the last option, specifically that Prog carved out a unique niche for itself that nothing else in the rock supergenre could fill - a marriage of classical sensibilities, virtuosic instrumentation and an experimental bent.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 18:21
other - because post-punk let it hitch a ride ;P I think the batch of symphonic rock bands we have now are something other than progressive rock
Dr. Prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 18:51
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

other - because post-punk let it hitch a ride ;P I think the batch of symphonic rock bands we have now are something other than progressive rock

What you are probably referring to as "post punk" wasn't called that back then---we simply called it progressive rock. It was just a different kind of progressive rock as it evolved. People put labels on stuff long after it happens and like to label things because it makes them more comfortable, kind of like a crutch. As its happening, you really aren't thinking, am I listening to progressive, or "post punk" or math rock etc.

Back in the 70s and early 80s, we just called it good music and we listened to it.

What symphonic rock bands are you sl*gging on now that are not 'progressive"?
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 18:56
Other - because prog is f**king awesome Embarrassed

...anyone for pimms?

Edited by kibble_alex - May 16 2008 at 18:57
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 18:56
Originally posted by Norbert Norbert wrote:

Exactly!
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 19:03

People put labels on stuff long after it happens and like to label things because it makes them more comfortable, kind of like a crutch.

GREAT INSIGHT you've solved humanity

if post-punk was considered part of prog rock at the time why isn't it on the archives, a fairly inclusive site?
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 19:22
Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

Exactly!

Yes, Prog went underground because it had lost its lofty media spotlight throne leading the “rock” world and being a pet darling but in 1977, certain “powerful” journalists (Lester Bangs), the NME, Melody Maker, Rock & Folk, Creem, Trouser Press etc…. decided that a little crucifixion was long overdue and unleashed an unreal series of slurs (“ Jethro Dull, the Muddy Blues, UnFocused, NO featuring Yawn Anderson (!), Burger King Crimson, Rick Shakeman …..and that’s only the ones I remember!). Ouch Frank Zappa was actually referring to the rock journalists as even lousier musicians than the punkers (who at least had some cheeks to pierce). That being said, punk simply usurped the media throne (not too much staying power there before the Durans & Blondie showed up (better musicians, Frank? After all Terry Bozzio was a Missing Person first). The reason prog survived was because many devoted fans (like yours truly) and a few courageous musicians (Marillion, IQ, 12th Night etc…) decided to keep the flame alight in the relative obscurity of the underground. The CD helped all genres but especially prog as fans went for higher fidelity (and space) but its really the children who were curious and asked “Dad, what’s Close to the Edge like?” Many have overlooked the silly “fresh is better” argument and got hooked on the sweeping emotions that only prog can provide to those who are receptive to its charms. Taste is after all a question of personal acceptance. I feel blessed that it did survive and in fact , even flourishes in silence…far from the maddening crowd.        

I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 19:27
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

Exactly!

<P =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman">Yes, Prog went underground because it had lost its lofty media spotlight throne leading the “rock” world and being a pet darling but in 1977, certain “powerful” journalists (Lester Bangs), the NME, Melody Maker, Rock & Folk, Creem, Trouser Press etc…. decided that a little crucifixion was long overdue and unleashed an unreal series of slurs (“ Jethro Dull, the Muddy Blues, UnFocused, NO featuring Yawn Anderson (!), Burger King Crimson, Rick Shakeman …..and that’s only the ones I remember!). Ouch Frank Zappa was actually referring to the rock journalists as even lousier musicians than the punkers (who at least had some cheeks to pierce). That being said, punk simply usurped the media throne (not too much staying power there before the Durans & Blondie showed up (better musicians, Frank? After all Terry Bozzio was a Missing Person first). The reason prog survived was because many devoted fans (like yours truly) and a few courageous musicians (Marillion, IQ, 12th Night etc…) decided to keep the flame alight in the relative obscurity of the underground. The CD helped all genres but especially prog as fans went for higher fidelity (and space) but its really the children who were curious and asked “Dad, what’s Close to the Edge like?” Many have overlooked the silly “fresh is better” argument and got hooked on the sweeping emotions that only prog can provide to those who are receptive to its charms. Taste is after all a question of personal acceptance. I feel blessed that it did survive and in fact , even flourishes in silence…far from the maddening crowd. <SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN><SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN><SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN><SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN><SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN><SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN><SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>

Wow!! Nice words my friend, didn't know all of that. Great to know it now. Amazing is the history of rock, specially prog

Better delete your last post..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>