0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Steve Hillage Album
    Posted: May 31 2008 at 11:21
Here he is, our hippy guitarist from space himself....Steve Hillage! Clap

So which album is Steve's shining moment?
If you lose your temper, you've lost the arguement. -Proverb
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 12:02
I predict YOU will win, as it's such a firm favourite with Gong freaks (when it comes to the trilogy, I personally prefer 'Flying Teapot' and 'Angel's Egg', because of the many vocals-based tracks) but as far as I know FISH RISING is Steve's finest moment as a composer and soloist: one of Canterbury's most colourful albums (though recorded in Oxfordshire).
Leningrad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 12:07
That's an incredibly tough choice for me, because I love every album on this poll. It's a tie between Fish Rising, Green, Arzachel and Space Shanty.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 12:22
Voted for Fish Rising ... I only know a few of the albums in that list, but they're not all Steve Hillage solo albums. From the real solo albums, I think the winner can only be Fish Rising.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 12:24
I wont vote, as I've not all those albums, but Green is my favorite of those I have heard. I thought both Fish Rising and Motivation Radio were pretty good too.

Honourable mention for Live Herald. The version of Salmon Song is fantastic.
Relayer09 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 12:46
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I wont vote, as I've not all those albums, but Green is my favorite of those I have heard. I thought both Fish Rising and Motivation Radio were pretty good too.

Honourable mention for Live Herald. The version of Salmon Song is fantastic.

I didn't include live albums. I was just going for studio albums. Live Herald is probably my favorite Steve Hillage album though, live or studio.

On this poll I'm going with Space Shanty today. I could change my mind on any given day though.
If you lose your temper, you've lost the arguement. -Proverb
rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 13:21
Best solo is Fish Rising.

Best Gong album is You.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 13:52
Only knowing about half of these albums, I'm not qualified to vote.  My favourites are Khan's Space Shanty and Gong's You -- terrific albums.  I like all of the Radio Gnome Invisible trilogy considerably, but You would be my top pick of that trilogy.  I don't know Steve Hillage's solo work well.  I was rather disappointed in Fish Rising, though it certainly has its moments, to be cliche (okay, more than moments.  Good album).  Since I loved Gong's RGI trilogy, and I'd heard that it was something of a continuation of Space Shanty (there are obvious reference points), I was just a little underwhelmed in comparison.  I was heavily into Space Shanty when I got Fish Rising.

If I were to vote on favourite of what I know, I think I would go for Khan's over Gong's You, though I've been obsessed with both, but I can't say what is the best album here, or what is his shining moment.  If I were to go with his shining moment, then I might go for his solo debut, even though I'm not a big fan of it, since that is when he really came into the spotlight in a big way (composition and name-recognition as it is a Steve Hillage work and others were more collaborative, like Arzachel with Dave Stewart), and is his most personal album up to that point.

Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

I predict YOU will win, as it's such a firm favourite with Gong freaks (when it comes to the trilogy, I personally prefer 'Flying Teapot' and 'Angel's Egg', because of the many vocals-based tracks) but as far as I know FISH RISING is Steve's finest moment as a composer and soloist: one of Canterbury's most colourful albums (though recorded in Oxfordshire).

I would've predicted Fish Rising to win in this Steve Hillage poll.  It is Steve Hillage's first "solo," as the term is used, album, and therefore more his place to shine, than former projects, plus I believe it's his most popular solo album.  Of course Space Shanty and You are both very respected, and quite popular albums (Gong's You is at 48 on the most popular prog albums list, Space Shanty at 201, and Fish Rising down at 362, which means I expect You will do better than I thought).  When I did a poll about Canterbury solo artists whose album one most wished to highlight, Steve Hillage got the most votes (even Wyatt only got half the votes), and Fish Rising was his most referred to album.  But Hillage solo isn't as popular as Gong -- note this poll where Gong received eight votes and Steve Hillage just one (Caravan being the most popular with Soft Machine second).  And  this Canterbury scene album poll where Fish Rising received as many votes as all of Gong's Radio Gnome trilogy together.

I see that currently Fish Rising is tied with Space Shanty (3 votes each and no votes for others, but it's early days).  I'll just show the albums with rating for each of those.  I hadn't known that Space Shanty, according to the ratings and number of ratings, was that much more popular than Fish Rising, but You does have more ratings than either so, even though it currently has no votes, I expect that to factor in.  But then most will not know most of the albums on this list (though it's common for people to vote for favourite in best polls even when they know very few of the choices).

Fish Rising
(49 ratings)

Space Shanty
(72 ratings)

Radio Gnome Invisible Vol. 3 - You
(89 ratings)

theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 14:02
with the solo albums it is a tough choice between "Green" and "Fish Rising", and "L" is also excellent. I don't like "Motivation Radio" very much, and "For To Next", "And Not Or" and "Open" are catastrophies in my opinion. "Live Herald" is an excellent live album though.

of the Gong albums "You" is the winner. and of course the live albums of Gong

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 15:00
"You" is Gong's prime  ---  the best ever album to feature Hilllage.

Kind regards.
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 16:35
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Voted for Fish Rising ... I only know a few of the albums in that list, but they're not all Steve Hillage solo albums. From the real solo albums, I think the winner can only be Fish Rising.

Like you, I'm really only familiar with the solo albums, but I figure that's good enough for me to vote.  Unlike you, I had to go for L.
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 16:40

Best Gong album is You.
[/QUOTE]

Hmmmmm Best Gong album doesn't even Have Mr Hillage on it
Camembert Electrique Or  Gong Live Floating Anarchy  would be my Favs
as to Mr Hillage i have a soft spot for Rainbow Dome Music

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 16:54
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

Like you, I'm really only familiar with the solo albums, but I figure that's good enough for me to vote.  Unlike you, I had to go for L.

Khan's Space Shanty and Gong's Radio Gnome Invisible trilogy (particularly You) are essential albums in my collection.  Definitely worth checking out.

theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 21:23
Of Hillage's solo output, I only have Fish Rising, so I am unqualified to vote.

Logan has pretty much summed up my take on Hillage-related material, though I will say I am not as torn.  I love Khan but for me Gong's You towers over the other albums in this list (that I've heard).
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 21:41
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

Khan's Space Shanty and Gong's Radio Gnome Invisible trilogy (particularly You) are essential albums in my collection.  Definitely worth checking out.

Have no fear.  Gong is definitley short-listed for acquisition.
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 22:12
FISH RISING Thumbs%20Upfor me. for his solo output.......not trying to be original.......i am NOT a fan of HILLAGE voice 

I can't decide for a best of the trilogy.....llike them allThumbs%20Up
zicIy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2008 at 03:35

"Lunar Musick Suite", with that Don Cherry´s trumpet solo, is a masterpiece track, no question. "Hurdy Gurdy Glissando" rocks too. Todd Rundgren did do a great job as the producer of this great album; my fav album of Hillage. i like his guitar sound so much (btw, i like his voice too, and, after all, i strongly recommend his Live in England 1979 DVD. ) Smile

Edited by zicIy - June 01 2008 at 04:17
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2008 at 04:19
I got Motivation Radio some days ago, only heard it once so far sounded pretty nice it gets my vote since its my newest Hillage album. I allso got Fish rising and L from his solo years and the Gong albums and Khan, love em all. And i have to say i realy like his voice! Smile
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2008 at 06:04
I voted Green ( produced by Nick Mason), overall such a solid album but Motivation Radio and L come close seconds. All his solos are great and to think Open kinda was around before New Wave and it is very New Wave in parts!!

Hillage rocksSmile
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2008 at 07:05
Solo - Green, although all of the first four solo albums are excellent. As for his work with Gong, it has to be You ; Angel's Egg is my favourite of the Trilogy, but You is where Hillage really shines.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>