Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs prog archives for the lost and lonely

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is prog archives for the lost and lonely
    Posted: June 05 2008 at 21:02
A question, how many bands on here are really prog, and i mean really prog??? None of this post/math/ metal nonsense. They should be punted to another site for rock/heavy/nonsense music. I have always held the opinion heavy metal in which ever guise it takes (Iron Maiden, NWOBHM, Dream Theater and other clones) are not prog....ever.

If this was a British site, i do believe it would take a less convincing argument to portray these bands as non prog. However as it's global and mainly North American, where all music needs to be pigeon holed, anything slightly off mainstream appears to be prog.

In all my years of following prog rock, very few bands from NA or other countries, with the exception of europe, actually had prog rock. It seems to be in recent years that, groups that failed to be catogarised were swept into the prog arena, and in my opinion wrongly.

The prog rock term was used way back in 1970, and following the NME and Melody Maker only Europe held any kind of swathe in the prog pigeon hole. I've read many books circa 1980+, but it only seems since the arrival of internet on masse, that music appears to have move it's boundaries. from where i am standing to suit the masses and allow sites like prog archives to grow, whilst not being guilty of lying. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, whether it is true or not

The Americas crave the creation of all music, but singularly fail to provide prog rock with any decent real bands, too many turned to commercial gain or stadium rock to be bothered where they fitted in. Some even went as far as to do complete album covers, then turn around and say that they are prog,

Appaling and pathetic at times the bands who are masquerading around this site as prog. i've read a few reveiws bought the albums and then put them straight in the bin, because they are deinitely not prog.

Discussion or binned..........i do believe prog archives has lost its way big time.

Edited by rhinn - June 05 2008 at 21:03
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 21:10
at last, someone to work people up with naive diatribes about what progressive rock really is..  oh and a touch of nationalism to boot

let the games begin...

Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 21:17
I Have not been here very long and i would have to to agree with a lot of what you said , i had never heard of the Band Tool  before i came to this site  , so i searched some out , i thought hey that Not Prog to me that was Heavy Metal funny when a band such as Tool can be in the Archives of this site But Not The Sensational Alex Harvey Band , And as to Prog from North America again i think in some ways you may well be right , i have been collecting Music since 1974 most of it i would say falls in or around Prog Arena (and Jazz and Folk ) and and  very little of that music is  from North America  , and anyway being a Old fart of 50 Prog started in 1969 and finished in  1979 Shocked

Thy tongue may well be in the Cheek or is it ?
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 21:24
9/10, would troll again

tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 21:24
Originally posted by rhinn rhinn wrote:

A question, how many bands on here are really prog, and i mean really prog??? None of this post/math/ metal nonsense. They should be punted to another site for rock/heavy/nonsense music. I have always held the opinion heavy metal in which ever guise it takes (Iron Maiden, NWOBHM, Dream Theater and other clones) are not prog....ever.

If this was a British site, i do believe it would take a less convincing argument to portray these bands as non prog. However as it's global and mainly North American, where all music needs to be pigeon holed, anything slightly off mainstream appears to be prog.

In all my years of following prog rock, very few bands from NA or other countries, with the exception of europe, actually had prog rock. It seems to be in recent years that, groups that failed to be catogarised were swept into the prog arena, and in my opinion wrongly.

The prog rock term was used way back in 1970, and following the NME and Melody Maker only Europe held any kind of swathe in the prog pigeon hole. I've read many books circa 1980+, but it only seems since the arrival of internet on masse, that music appears to have move it's boundaries. from where i am standing to suit the masses and allow sites like prog archives to grow, whilst not being guilty of lying. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, whether it is true or not

The Americas crave the creation of all music, but singularly fail to provide prog rock with any decent real bands, too many turned to commercial gain or stadium rock to be bothered where they fitted in. Some even went as far as to do complete album covers, then turn around and say that they are prog,

Appaling and pathetic at times the bands who are masquerading around this site as prog. i've read a few reveiws bought the albums and then put them straight in the bin, because they are deinitely not prog.

Discussion or binned..........i do believe prog archives has lost its way big time.

Before the games begin, are you referring to the sub genres (Metal, Rio, zeuhl etc..) or bands ?
We live in a world that LOVES to justify itself by putting labels on everything and sadly, everybody. I hate the process because the parameters are arguable. But the truth is that if you don't like 456 channels on your TV you can always skip (or deprogram) the ones you dislike. Believe me there are still place where you can only get 5 channels and lots of snow.  Come to think of it , it may be better than constantly surfing! What's important is to follow YOUR tastes and enjoy your styles . Prog is the most complex pot-pourri of various mutations in music , bar none. Our revered sinkadotentree once described prog as an endless buffet of different aromas, textures and tastes , all there to peruse, discard, digest or even vomit. Its your world , who cares what others think, say, feel or do? Its not as if we have any social , political, emotional, religious, artistic or judicial solidarity anyway! As far as nationalism , there is no more capitalism or communism just COMMONISM , evryone in the same weary boat. I travel all over the world, I know. I see the same crap everywhere. That's why prog, in whichever guise, is my road to inner bliss. What's yours?
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 21:28
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

at last, someone to work people up with naive diatribes about what progressive rock really is.. oh and a touch of nationalism to boot let the games begin...

EXACTLY!! Also as before me said, beware of the 9/10 TROLL. People nowadays are very courage! Well, at least on internet..

The Battle Rages On, Time to KILL!
Sacred 22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 21:41
Progressive Rock fans are in the minority and lets face it, woman arn't much into prog. We need a place where we can vent and feel worthy. You know, a place where we can all get together and have a few laughs and maybe even learn a thing or two about music and the people who enjoy it.
I feel for the young teens here that are well versed in the legends of prog and feel isolated because of this. You know what they say, "it's lonely at the top"...................Smile
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 21:50

Weston View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 21:58

. . .  None of this post/math/ metal nonsense. They should be punted to another site for rock/heavy/nonsense music. I have always held the opinion heavy metal in which ever guise it takes (Iron Maiden, NWOBHM, Dream Theater and other clones) are not prog....ever.

. . . . as it's global and mainly North American, where all music needs to be pigeon holed . . . . 

Boy howdy - you ferners shore do talk funny.  Why, we even has somthin' called progressive bluegrass heyah in the south.  What in thundah is that?

You speak of American bands turning to pop or stadium rock for commercial gain.  But I thought Genesis was a British band.

It's not all laid out for me in black and white where something is either prog or it's not.  It's a spectrum with shades of gray, or really lots of colors, in between.  I could make a good case that King Crimson's "Red"  or "Lark's Tongues in Aspic, Part IV"  are heavy metal pieces.  Black Sabbath's "Supertzar" has all the elements of prog. 

Speaking of pigeonholing, we recently took one of those personality seminars at our office where we get coded so that others can understand us better.  Most of these are done with a letter code, but this particular technique simplified it into four colors. The gist of it was that some people need to see things in black and white and others need to see things in shades of gray.  It takes both kinds to get anything done.

But i'll stick with my shades fo gray if you don't mind - or even if you do.
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 21:59
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 22:03
Originally posted by Weston Weston wrote:

. . .  None of this post/math/ metal nonsense. They should be punted to another site for rock/heavy/nonsense music. I have always held the opinion heavy metal in which ever guise it takes (Iron Maiden, NWOBHM, Dream Theater and other clones) are not prog....ever.

. . . . as it's global and mainly North American, where all music needs to be pigeon holed . . . . 

Boy howdy - you ferners shore do talk funny.  Why, we even has somthin' called progressive bluegrass heyah in the south.  What in thundah is that?

You speak of American bands turning to pop or stadium rock for commercial gain.  But I thought Genesis was a British band.

It's not all laid out for me in black and white where something is either prog or it's not.  It's a spectrum with shades of gray, or really lots of colors, in between.  I could make a good case that King Crimson's "Red"  or "Lark's Tongues in Aspic, Part IV"  are heavy metal pieces.  Black Sabbath's "Supertzar" has all the elements of prog. 

Speaking of pigeonholing, we recently took one of those personality seminars at our office where we get coded so that others can understand us better.  Most of these are done with a letter code, but this particular technique simplified it into four colors. The gist of it was that some people need to see things in black and white and others need to see things in shades of gray.  It takes both kinds to get anything done.

But i'll stick with my shades fo gray if you don't mind - or even if you do.

Lemme guess:
Blue: Emotionally-driven
Green: Logically-driven
Orange: Energy-driven
Gold: Responsibility-driven

I had a psycho teacher in middle school who did the same deal. 

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 22:15

Outstanding troll, truly one of the best in recent memory.  And of course, if this website doesn't seem to suit your needs, don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 22:17
Anybody remember Frank Zoppa?  I'm not sure any troll can ever top what that guy did.  He genuinely had all of PA pissed at him for several hours.  

Weston View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 22:20
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

Lemme guess:
Blue: Emotionally-driven
Green: Logically-driven
Orange: Energy-driven
Gold: Responsibility-driven

I had a psycho teacher in middle school who did the same deal. 

Yes, that's the one, though it wasn't quite that simple.  It was fun really.  We have our colors posted on our cubicle thresholds.  My pigeonhole is green with blue running a close second.  I'm thinking the OP (to steer it back on topic a little) might be largely gold, i.e. by the book, but everyone is a mixture of all the traits.
DJPuffyLemon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 22:25
What do you define "prog" as? Is it the movement that began in Europe (primarily Britain)? Or is it the constant searching and experimenting of the limits of musical expression?

If it is the first, as it seems the OP defines it as, then we have bands like Pink Floyd who experimented with sounds much in the way the Beatles did, we have bands such as King Crimson who added bits of jazz and metal into their compositions, and we have bands such as Genesis and Yes who no doubt shaped the symphonic movement. And then what......we have a site focusing solely on old bands from the 70s, and an assortment of crappy retro prog bands such as The Flower Kings and The Tangent. And as much as I'd hate to say it, since I have a love hate relationship with the genre, Neo-progressive would also fit under the crappy retro umbrella. (for those of you thinking about combating my use of the term 'crappy', read on first)

If it is the second, then take the qualities embodied by the 70s bands, and apply it to today. We have bands such as Tool, such as Dream Theater, such as Ephel Duath, such as SGM, such as Anekdoten, such as The Red Masque, etc who are breathing new life into music, increased complexity of composition in grunge, increased virtuousity in metal, jazz influences in metal, avant-garde advancements, etc. These bands are the true meaning of progressive rock!

To illustrate my point, take Yes, Jethro Tull, The Flower Kings, and Marillion. Yes and Jethro Tull WERE two of the most progressive bands in the 70s. Now however, they should NOT be considered progressive. Sure, we can say they are progressive rock, in the exact same way we say The Flower Kings and Marillion are progressive rock, but they are not progressive. Yes and JT are taking the genres they have created and making music based on that. It has the same qualities as their music from the 70s, and I stress this point: if their current output was created in the 70s, it would be progressive. However it is coming out NOW, at a time when these qualities lose their progressive nature.

The Flower Kings and Marillion in the 90s and 00 are NOT PROGRESSIVE AT ALL! (I kind of don't like using Marillion as an example, because I do believe that their 80s output WAS somewhat progressive but I know them the best out of the neo-prog movement, so for sake of argument, pretend they are one of the less inspired neo bands.) They are taking ideas created by Yes and Genesis and making crappy reiterations of it (commericalizing it even!).

Bands such as Tool, such as Dream Theater, such as Ephel Duath, such as SGM, such as Anekdoten, such as The Red Masque, etc ARE PROGRESSIVE whether you like it or not. If a band is experimenting with music, they deserve your (as a music fan) respect, they do not deserve to be called "post/math/ metal nonsense".

I don't have a conclusion, but so yeah there you go I owned your ass.
Plankowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 22:50
Wonder what album caused this LOL
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 22:57
Can't be the Dream Academy , they are English , not listed in PA and hence not prog .
Can't be Dream Weaver by Gary Wright , yes from the USA but not listed as prog either.
Must be Dream Theater , they are American,they are listed and they are prog. Whether you like it or not!

So much anger Wink 

I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 23:15

Everybody is too polite here... We need politeness 100% of the time... but with USEFUL PEOPLE....

Not with this guy... hey trolly, why don't you go try to create "havoc" somewhere else? It's obvious that your lack of self steem or something makes you be happy only when you create unpleasant situations for other people... I have never read a useful post of yours....

Why don't you create rhinnprog.com? Now that would really be for the lost, lonely, bitter and depressed...
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 23:53
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Everybody is too polite here... We need politeness 100% of the time... but with USEFUL PEOPLE....
Being polite with non-useful people is the most important part. Crudely flaming them just gives them the reaction they're trying to get. I'm enjoying the serious reactions to this thread, too, because it's funny to see people get so worked up over nothing. Yes, it's an annoying waste of space, but if you ignore him, he won't come back.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 01:27
These archives are ridiculous! BANDS IN HERE AFTER 1980 PROGRESSIVE? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. What a joke.  I'm scared.  Where am I? What is this music? OH NOOOOOOOO!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>