Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Everon a Neo-Progressive band?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Is Everon a Neo-Progressive band?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [80.00%]
2 [20.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Everon a Neo-Progressive band?
    Posted: June 06 2008 at 21:51
Hello everyone!

In the review I recentlly posted of the last Everon's masterpiece, called "North", I gave my explanations about this fantastic band style... Because I think they are not Neo-Progressive at all!

They are catalogued like a Neo-Prog band on this site... And I think this is a mistake. I really love this kind of prog, being Marillion one of my favourite bands, and liking also Arena, IQ, Pendragon, Collage... But Everon are really different! Making some kind of symphonic hard rock, I think they have nothing to do with Neo-Prog.

And I wish to know you opinion... If you are not in the music of this band, you can hear the whole song Brigde here in ProgArchives, and fragments of some of their songs in their MySpace site: www.myspace.com/everonband, and their official weg page, www.everon.de

I wait for you votes! Greetings from Spain.

The Crow.

Edited by The Crow - June 07 2008 at 10:15
Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2008 at 05:10
Everon  are Neo Prog but not typical in the sense that they seem to have a harder edge that verges on prog metal at times a bit similar to Threshold at other times Everon reminds me of  Fish or Pallas ... Everon are indeed a great band that deserve more talk around here than they get. 

Without another option saying half neo prog half prog metal in the poll I didnt vote 

Edited by Yorkie X - June 07 2008 at 05:12
The Crow View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2008 at 07:06
Originally posted by Yorkie X Yorkie X wrote:

Everon  are Neo Prog but not typical in the sense that they seem to have a harder edge that verges on prog metal at times a bit similar to Threshold at other times Everon reminds me of  Fish or Pallas ... Everon are indeed a great band that deserve more talk around here than they get.  Without another option saying half neo prog half prog metal in the poll I didnt vote 

I'm agree with you... They deserve much more attention than than they get!

Maybe they have some Neo-Prog elements... But in my opinion, this was int their first two releases, "Paradoxes" and "Flood", specially the keyboard sound in the second one. But in "Venus" the guitars were harder yet, being the Neo-Prog almost totally removed from their music. And in their later releases, in my opinion, there is no Neo-Prog at all. Al least, there is no Neo-Prog in the way I understand this kind of music.

Like you said, there are a lot of metal elements in their music, along with some hard rock influences and some symphonic arrangements... So I can't say this german band makes the same style as bands like Pendragon, Marillion or Pallas... Though I think Pallas is an obvious Everon's influence.

Greetings from Spain!
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2008 at 11:48
I plan on getting "North" i had heard it was a good one.I wish i could give an opinion about them being neo or not but i have yet to listen to "Flood" (i have it).
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
The Crow View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2008 at 12:58
Originally posted by sinkadotentree sinkadotentree wrote:

I plan on getting "North" i had heard it was a good one.I wish i could give an opinion about them being neo or not but i have yet to listen to "Flood" (i have it).

I strongly recommend you to get it... You can read the review I wrote yesterday for this album. It's wonderful, I'm sure you will not regret for purchasing it!

Like I said before, "Flood" has some neo-prog elements. But it's far from this style anyway... It's also a very good album, though I prefer the last 4 studio works from the band.

Best regards!
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2008 at 14:11
Sorry man i actually have "Flesh" and "Fantasia" , i just checked my collection. My memory is pretty much shot.LOL    Greg Walker at Synphonic has them listed under prog-metal.I noticed another site had them down as "prog-metal-melodic-neo" i guess they wanted to cover all the bases.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
limeyrob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2008 at 16:02
Not into labels. Everon just do great music.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2008 at 16:09
Everon are a bit difficult to label, but they aren't really neo...

I've always considered them as Heavy Art Prog Rock, in a similar vein to Enchant, Tiles and maybe Poverty's No Crime...Wink
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2008 at 16:12
Originally posted by limeyrob limeyrob wrote:

Not into labels. Everon just do great music.

Good to see you back, Rob....Approve

have you managed to get those gorgeous girls of yours into any other PM bands besides DT yet??Wink
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
The Crow View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2008 at 17:31
Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

I've always considered them as Heavy Art Prog Rock, in a similar vein to Enchant, Tiles and maybe Poverty's No Crime

Heavy Art Prog Rock... Not a bad definition for the Everon's style!

But I think they are not really similar to Enchant... I think the american band has less personality, and they are more into metal (at least in their later releases...)

Maybe the best definition is what Limeyrob said... They just do great music!
Jabalcuz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2008 at 17:47
Hello my friends. I think Everon have only a few elements of Neo Prog. They play very good prog rock,  but like my co-country The Crow says Heavy Art Prog Rock would be a perfect definition. 
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2008 at 17:49
We're pigeonholing neo-prog too much. going along these lines, the genre will have 2 styles: 80s synthy half prog stuff and post 80s guitar solo/atmospheric keyboards stuff. For a genre based on a time period, this makes no sense. Somehow, neo-prog has come to signify a sound rather than a "happening." 
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2008 at 05:20
I think they are, sometimes they are close to Galleon's music and sometimes is close to Enchant to name a fiew bands related. Anyway somewhere in between, is neo-prog but with a heavyear touch
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2008 at 11:50

Casually last week Guigo and I been talking about the actual reality of Neo Prog and the need of changing the definition or making some changes, but sadly I’ve been sick as a dog with a silly virus that lasted 20 days and turned into a throat infection with strong antibiotics that have me half asleep all day.

One of the issues we’ve been talking about is that NEO PROG HAS CHANGED, it’s not the same genre with pompous keyboards a la “Europe” with a typical smell to Miami Vice and some harder guitar riffs mixed with an almost Progressive structure based almost exclusively in Genesis.

We have changed more than 100 this because most of them say literally:

“XXXXX is a Tanzanian /(Or German or British) band, playing neo-progressive music greatly influenced by Marillion, IQ and Genesis”

Ridiculous as it may sound, this phrase appeared almost identical in more than 60 biographies of Neo Prog bands, because people like to believe everything is easy to describe and have a strong prejudice against Neo Prog.

We received complains from some iconic Neo Prog bands, asking to be moved out of Neo Prog, even some expert members hate to see their favorite bands under the Neo Prog label……But people, get used they are Neo Prog.

The second point we talked about is that Neo Prog has changed or evolved, even bands like Pendragon are releasing albums that have little in common with  their soft atmospheric almost predictable and pleasant sound of the 80’s and 90’s, moving to some sort of aggressive Symphonic with Heavy guitars.

And it was logical, since the start, one of the main characteristics of Neo Prog was that the guitar passed to be a lead instrument instead of a secondary instrument behind the keyboards, and the sound of that guitar has got more radical each time, the division of Neo Prog between Symphonic and Hard Prog is shorter every day.

Mussolini said “Only idiots don’t change” (Well, it’s not my fault that a Fascist dictator said a good phrase Wink), and he was the clearest example of that, because he tried to keep an exhausted criminal system for more years than possible at any cost, so he fell; this also apllies to Progressive Rock.

We seen in the 70’s that the old formula of getting more and more pompous had a saturation limit and started to decay, Neo Prog remained almost exact diring the 80’s and the Symphonic Renaissance of the 90’s almost erased the genre from the map.

Symphonic has changed, blending more and more with other genres as Folk (Like to call it ethnic, because Folk is too identified with British Pastoral and Celtic) because of the new air that came from Eastern Europe and using Avant influences as never before, specially in USA.

Neo Prog had to change also, the bands got tired of the mellow mellotron choirs a la Entangled and being compared almost exclusively with Marillion, they also needed to be more versatile if they wanted to survive, so if you compare new Neo Prog bands with Fish’s Marillion, IQ, or “The Masquerade Overture’s Pendragon” you are talking about a different Neo Prog from the one of the 21st Century.

We haven’t still talked with the Boss (E-Dub) but a new approach needs to be adopted (we have to clean the bios before, in order to have everything in order before making changes), we don’t know if a New definition, broader and more exact is enough, maybe merging part of the genre with Symphonic and Hard Prog will be required, we don't know,  this is something the Neo Prog Team will decide leaded by E-Dub and in agreement with the Collaborator’s Team and M@x if possible.

But get used to the fact that your favorite band probably is Neo Prog, despite your prejudices against this excellent and underrated sub-genre.

NOTE: About the specific EVERON case…..Yes their guitar approach is far more aggressive and distorted than the stereotypical idea of how a Neo Prog band should sound, the Prog Metal references are there, but the structure is absolutely close to the 80’s sound of Neo Prog.

People normally look at the surfaces (Guitar riffs, Keyboard solos, etc) but forget the structure. EVERON is rougher in the surface, but the structure is close even to Fish’s Marillion, forget the distorted vocals, the original arrangements, their essence is in Neo Prog.

Iván

The Crow View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2008 at 20:23
Hi Ivan!

Thanks for sharing you thoughts with us... It was really interesting to read!

And I agree in almost all that you've said... Of course the genre needs a re-definition, because the true Neo-Progressive from the 80's is lot today. Only a few bands sound today like this kind of prog music. The rest of the bands under this name, have not really much in common.

But I have any predjudice about it... I love the Neo-Prog genre! You have only to take a look in my reviews. And you will notice that I made long commentaries about Pendragon, Clepsydra, Marillion, Arena, IQ... And I have a lot more Neo-Progressive album I've not commented yet!

The problem, is that I'm still thinking that Everon are not Neo-Progressive... The sound is really different, and the structure of the songs are not in this kind of music in my opinion. Maybe the suit in the album "Fantasma" could be taken like the old suits from Marillion or Pendragon... But most of the tracks are not the same thing!

For me, the structure of the songs is in the AOR vein, being not really complex. The prog comes in some instrumental passages, specially the bombastic ones, and in the longer songs, like Flesh. Also the symphonic arrangemets makes this band deserving to be named prog.

So I'm thankful for your opinon... But it has not changed my mind!

Greetings from Spain!
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2008 at 22:52
Originally posted by The Crow The Crow wrote:

Hi Ivan!

Thanks for sharing you thoughts with us... It was really interesting to read!

And I agree in almost all that you've said... Of course the genre needs a re-definition, because the true Neo-Progressive from the 80's is lot today. Only a few bands sound today like this kind of prog music. The rest of the bands under this name, have not really much in common.

Yes they have  the sessence, the combination of mainstream influences, the importance given to the guitar even over the keyboards, the pompous lush key sections with a Jan Hammer smell.

But I have any predjudice about it... I love the Neo-Prog genre! You have only to take a look in my reviews. And you will notice that I made long commentaries about Pendragon, Clepsydra, Marillion, Arena, IQ... And I have a lot more Neo-Progressive album I've not commented yet!

Never said you had Crow, but some band members have protested because their bands are included in Neo Prog despite all their sound shouts Neo Prog.

The problem, is that I'm still thinking that Everon are not Neo-Progressive... The sound is really different, and the structure of the songs are not in this kind of music in my opinion. Maybe the suit in the album "Fantasma" could be taken like the old suits from Marillion or Pendragon... But most of the tracks are not the same thing!

That's my point, a band doesn't have to sound like Marillion and Pendragon to be MNeo Prog, today not evebn Marillion and Pebdragon sound like Marillion and Pendragon in the 80's.

For me, the structure of the songs is in the AOR vein, being not really complex. The prog comes in some instrumental passages, specially the bombastic ones, and in the longer songs, like Flesh. Also the symphonic arrangemets makes this band deserving to be named prog.

They are Prog, Neo Prog is a Prog genr, the AORISH structure fits perfectly in the context of ma8instream blending and the Symphonic  arrangements are characteristic of Ne Prog

So I'm thankful for your opinon... But it has not changed my mind!

Neither ours. Wink

Greetings from Spain!

Saludos de Perú

Iván

johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 13:45
Everon is a band that has always been on my radar but I never got anything from them because of very conflicting opinions as to their quality.  Well I just got Fantasma and am sorry I waited so long.  Great album. I would put them under Heavy Prog, not Neo.  They have about the same heaviness as Enchant, Rush and Nemo (who I see has been moved out of Heavy and into Eclectic) and I don't get the level or sound of keys that a typical Neo band would offer.  I will vote no with the caveat that I haven't heard much of their stuff.
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
 Post Reply Post Reply