Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Tribute Bands and Prog Radio
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPink Floyd Tributes - which one is best?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 05:47
I have tickets to see Think Floyd on 4th July (good day for you folks stateside!!) at my favourite music venue, The Met at Bury.  I have seen them before and they are very very good.  The only band (Floyd or tribute) I've known to play the second half of Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

The cost is only £12.00, and for that you get great music, a top venue, no booking fee, no ticketmaster and great value .  Bring it on.
langmick View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2009 at 08:27
We pull SOYCD, the longer version, off quite frequently...fun, fun tune to play. the solo section can get waaaaay out.

http://echoesofpinkfloyd.wordpress.com/2009/06/04/soycd-vi-ix-from-toledo/

wingsofomen View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2009 at 05:44
Originally posted by Alitare Alitare wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Pink Floyd itself.

Am I the only one who thinks he means Pink Floyd is the best Pink Floyd cover band, and possibly meant it in an insulting way?

I agree. I saw Roger Waters once, playing the complete DSOTM plus some other stuff, and I'd rate him slightly better than Aussie Floyd. Both are great tribute bands.

Pink Floyd music should be considered classical. Orchestra's live by playing music made by long-dead composers, why shouldn't rockbands live by playing music made by not-so-long-dead rockbands? As long as they do a good job, I'm all for it.
culexearth View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2009 at 18:59
I managed to see "The Pink Floyd Experience" not too long ago, and I thought they were very humble about what they were doing admitting that they were just fans like everyone else. Their setlist had a varied feel to it, spanning the whole PF discography. They are somewhat underrated in my opinion. Additionally it didn't hurt that they DIDN'T play "Another Brick In the Wall Pt 2" which we can all do without if you are a true fan.

I found an amazing PF tribute album the other day: Out Of Phase; DSOTM 2001. They recreated DSOTM in its entirety. The eclectic take on the songs were excellent & creative. They took aspects of music not really explored on the original PF DSOTM and employed them on this release. Nothing beats the original, but Out Of Phase's interpretation was like listening to the original DSOTM with a different set of ears and not wanting to choke on your supper.
~konsummate, konflict~
~assimilate, hate~
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2009 at 22:35
The Aussie Floyd played all of The Wall and Dark Side and featured incredible laser show - i couldnt fault them... Next best thing to the real deal.

Dieselhead View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2009 at 05:25
Epsilon do a range of Floyd stuff as well as other prog covers from the big names. I managed to record most of their version of Wish You Were Here last Saturday at the Portland Rock Bar, Brighton, UK.
Always my favourite song.

D

Ps. I must admit that's my brother on bass

Epsilon - Wish You Were Here - Portland Rock Bar, Brighton
Dieselhead
leonalvarado View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2009 at 01:57
I've seen Pink Floyd four times, Roger Waters twice and Dave Gilmour once. To see Pink Floyd live was something wonderful and an almost hypnotic experience. However, I do sympathise with those who never had the chance to see such a wonderful show for whatever reason. For them, I recommend the Australian Pink Floyd show. Their set up is a scale-down version of Pink Floyd's stage set with slide and movie projections, turning vary-lites around a round screen, smoke, lasers and even floating (inflatable) pigs. They do a bang of a job with the music and even got to play with the real members of Pink Floyd at Dave Gilmour's birthday party where they were joined on stage by him and Rick wright. They also carry the right personnel with backup singers, extra guitars and keyboards, etc. They are definitely worth seeing.
jgbludworth View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2009 at 15:26
Aussie Floyd is astonishingly good.  I did not know what to expect, but was floored.   For years people have gone to see a symphony perform works by composers.  This is no different.

In addition, it is highly doubtful I will ever get to attend a concert with Gilmour and Waters.  Even if they did do a show, the tickets would be next to untouchable, and it would probably be in a massive stadium.

Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2009 at 03:54
Anybody seen/heard Manc Floyd? 

I haven't, but they are playing at Bury Met in January at the extorionate cost of £8.  Might be worth a pop.
DSOMRADIO View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2010 at 01:56
Another aspect of tribute bands is that some people simply cannot afford to see the real thing even if they're still touring. Ticket prices together with sometimes a lot of travelling put it out of their financial reach

Gary

Dark Side Of The Moon
Classic and Prog Rock Radio
8pm Mondays UK time
Skyline 102.5FM and www.skyline.fm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123