Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJon Lord Progressive Albums

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of these albums you like most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [37.50%]
7 [43.75%]
3 [18.75%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jon Lord Progressive Albums
    Posted: June 08 2008 at 15:45
These are excellent pieces comosed by Jon Lord. The first one with Deep Purple.

Here's some proof that Jon Lord is someway a prog composer. Mixing in very early years classical music with hard rock.

My fave is Windows with the participation of Tony Ashton, David Coverdale and Glenn Hughes.
ozzy_tom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2008 at 08:03
I think that Sarabande is the more mature work. Lots of great melodies there.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2008 at 13:51
Hey Cacho, nice thread! I like Windows, joint composer Eberhard Schoener helps bring Lord's orchestral music into the modern era. Who would think a jazzy vamp with two opera singers and that guy from Whitesnake vocalizing on top could sound good. They take some weird chances on this album and a lot of it sounds great.

It also helps that the orchestra on Windows is really into it, unlike the under-rehearsed and negative bunch on the first concerto recording.

Edited by Easy Money - June 09 2008 at 13:58
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2008 at 17:37
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Hey Cacho, nice thread! I like Windows, joint composer Eberhard Schoener helps bring Lord's orchestral music into the modern era. Who would think a jazzy vamp with two opera singers and that guy from Whitesnake vocalizing on top could sound good. They take some weird chances on this album and a lot of it sounds great.

It also helps that the orchestra on Windows is really into it, unlike the under-rehearsed and negative bunch on the first concerto recording.

Thx for both of you, for posting, I thought this poll would be boring with only votes, though it's quite that

Yeah Windows is magnificent IMO, with very good mix of hard rock, some funky keys and very good orchestration with some weird stuff like the opera singing.

I do tend to like Concerto but I think the new version of it 199something, with The London Symphony Orchestra, is superb the version with a much clear sound of both sides, orchestra and rock. The drums are way much better, rather than the oldish 60's sound drum from Paice.

For the upper post, I do like Sarabande, but I think the fact of being all instrumental, I think it gets sometimes boring in some of the songs, though of course there are some killer tracks, but I highly prefer Windows.
KingBarbarossa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2008 at 22:16
"concerto..." has great historic value.

however, i like "sarabande" best. it is the most cohesive album and to me features the most beautiful compositions. it is one of my all-time favorites.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2008 at 23:18
I own an original Sarabande LP with the cool two-layer cover, but haven't heard the others

elpprogster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2008 at 13:30
Sarabande; and its the most organ-based, I think...
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2008 at 16:35
Originally posted by elpprogster elpprogster wrote:

Sarabande; and its the most organ-based, I think...

Nah, Windows has much more, since Sarabande is way much more classical and much less rocky side. Though excellent album too.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2008 at 16:42
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I own an original Sarabande LP with the cool two-layer cover, but haven't heard the others

You may try someday the rest. They're very good, though maybe my suggestion maybe nothing for you..

IMO Concerto has an oldish feel, while the new version is quite good and with an excellent sound, this new version is found on Deep Purple in Concert with London Symphony Orchestra. Though, being a DP live album, it's quite weak, just buy it for the Concerto. Though the original, well, it's THE original, it has a similar sound from what is their MK 1 era, that dirty hammond and guitar.

Windows maybe not his best, but surely my favourite since it has some of my fave singers on it, Glenn Hughes and David Coverdale . I think that Windows is the most Deep Purplish feel, beyond not being Deep Purple and Concerto yes, still the hard rock feel on Windows is still very present and fantastic with great musicians. Something rarely similar to Jesus Christ Superstar.
 Post Reply Post Reply