Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - are The Grateful Dead that prog related?yes / not?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedare The Grateful Dead that prog related?yes / not?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2008 at 02:27
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

GD certainly belong here more than Phish...

I recognize Jam Band, as a genre, so they cannot be fully prog, IMO. I also think Prog-related is a dubious genre, but the Dead deserve to be in there if anyone does.

then explain my friend.. for the ignorant types among us hahha

just how is the Dead.. related to prog... and explain why they should be here... in terms that do not involve 'because someone else is here' .  Two wrong don't make a right.. I'm a huge J.A. fan.. and regardless of what Hugues says... I disagree strongly with their inclusion as well... but there is nothing to be done about that.

Blues for Allah, for one, is at times just as progressive as anything Phish have done. I have not heard their earlier, more pshychedelic albums I'm afraid, but their reputation as a live band with extended soloing and improvs earns them a place in prog related now, like it or not. Phish is there, and I think Umphrey's McGee is on the site somewhere, so the jam band line has been breached. The father of jam bands must be let in.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2008 at 02:55
I think Stonie has a very good point here (and yes, Umphrey McGee's are here too, in Jazz-Rock/Fusion). Even if I am not by any means an expert in any of those bands, I've heard Phish compared to the Dead often enough to wonder at the consistency of having one here and not the other.

Actually, the main problem with having a Prog-Related category is exactly that, in my very humble opinion... That 'relation' can very easily become like the notorious game of "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon"LOL, i.e. a chain of associations that can often lead away from what we generally consider as prog. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2008 at 08:40

[ but their reputation as a live band with extended soloing and improvs earns them a place in prog related now,

love you Stonie.... but I couldn't disagree more with that...     so when does the Allman Brothers Band get added.. they have as much to do with Prog.. and being related as the Dead.  Yes we have some groups here that ...well... on the surface seem sort of dubious as 'jam bands'  There is nothing to do about those.    The site has two choices...  use the 'if x then y' model and open this site up to all KINDS of bands that have little to no relation to prog simply because other groups are here... or the site can try to make a reasoned case for each individual group..which is why I asked you to try to explain why they should be added... NOT using who is already here as 'proof' that they do belong.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2008 at 08:51
I hope my above point was clear... It wasn't about the rightness of the "if X is here, why not Y?" approach, but rather about consistency (or lack thereof). Either we find a method to the 'madness' that is the whole Prog-Related category, or I'm afraid threads such as this will continue to exist, and sometimes even descend in less than dignified discussions.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2008 at 09:19
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

I hope my above point was clear... It wasn't about the rightness of the "if X is here, why not Y?" approach, but rather about consistency (or lack thereof). Either we find a method to the 'madness' that is the whole Prog-Related category, or I'm afraid threads such as this will continue to exist, and sometimes even descend in less than dignified discussions.

well darling.. .that has been raised time and time again to the powers that be... and maybe they subscribe to the 'wasted time and effort' theory that Moris mentioned earlier.  

for the record...  I think this is the state of the state of PR... and nothing I've seen here has changed my mind. The sooner people realize it.. the better off those who lose sleep because this group is or is not in PR will be.

from Pablo's CSN&Y thread

cacho - probably some one should give you the straight poop on Prog Related additions. This is not official... but just gleaned from watching and listening. Technically... by  the criteria David posted about... a GREAT many groups could be added to prog-related.  Prog, Art Rock, whatever you want to call it left a mammoth imprint on 70's rock music.  A great many bands were influence by prog in various degrees.

From what I have seen about Prog-Related.. it has NEVER been meant to be all-encompassing or to have every band that was prog-related.  Let's face it.. this site would look less a prog site then a 70's rock site when Heart reviews.. or Steely Dan... or Elton John reviews and discussions popped up all over the place.  Prog-related was meant to have a place where targeted groups could be added.  Why specifically targeted groups.  I'm sure that bringing new people in who are doing google searches for their favorite groups is one part. Also important are to have those bands whose fans would take to prog. To perpetuate the species we must procreate in a way hahhaha.    Just as important though is to have related  groups that our prog fans might naturally take to .....  just like Blue Oyster Cult.   The additions are targeted for this site... it is a prog site... we strive to have completeness in our prog addtions.. but for the time to debate and add every group that might have been influenced by prog.. or related to prog... christ... we'd never get anything done. 

So I typed all that to explain this.... I don't see any  way in hell CSNY get in here.  They may or they may not have been related. What is related anyway but what you want to make of it.  Simply though .... they don't fit the site.. and  the groups addition doesn't benefit the site. 

My two 'unofficial' cents.  Just based on observing and listening.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2008 at 12:26
I say pass. I think this is more of a case of "I want to see this band in PA!" than anything having to do with actual influence or prog-relation.
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2008 at 15:12

[ but their reputation as a live band with extended soloing and improvs earns them a place in prog related now,

love you Stonie.... but I couldn't disagree more with that...     so when does the Allman Brothers Band get added.. they have as much to do with Prog.. and being related as the Dead.  Yes we have some groups here that ...well... on the surface seem sort of dubious as 'jam bands'  There is nothing to do about those.    The site has two choices...  use the 'if x then y' model and open this site up to all KINDS of bands that have little to no relation to prog simply because other groups are here... or the site can try to make a reasoned case for each individual group..which is why I asked you to try to explain why they should be added... NOT using who is already here as 'proof' that they do belong.

I'm talking about consistency. Santana's here. The Dead aren't. Phish is here. The Dead aren't. That is inconsistent. If I cared enough about the Dead, I probably could give you an argument  as to why they should be in prog-related, a genre which I think is doing more trouble than good. But the point remains: if Phish are here, a band that essentially is the Dead, then they should be as well.
akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2008 at 17:21
With all this controversy surrounding the prog related genre, there are bands with much more prog or prog-related songs being denied from prog related than bands being included in "full prog" genres.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2008 at 19:05
^ That's highly questionable, but you give no examples either of bands denied progrelated status or ones added as full prog that are unworthy   ..as far as I know, ProgRelated is not a regular category to be utilized as such, but rather a special area for a small number of artists that were literally related to prog or who were significantly influenced by it.  In the case of the Dead, neither is demonstrable, IMO.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2008 at 20:17

I'm talking about consistency. Santana's here. The Dead aren't. Phish is here. The Dead aren't. That is inconsistent. If I cared enough about the Dead, I probably could give you an argument  as to why they should be in prog-related, a genre which I think is doing more trouble than good. But the point remains: if Phish are here, a band that essentially is the Dead, then they should be as well.

you are not listening Andrew.. .there is NO consistency to be had in PR additions... this site IS  consistent and strives to be comprehensive where it matters...pursuing prog additions to the database... .NOT PR additions.  They are targeted additions for various reasons... and the category is not intended to have any and every group that is PR.  You agree with the Dead being in PR...  but will you be the first to bitch about a band you do NOT think is PR enough.  If you don't...  you would be one of the very few here that wouldn't.. we see it all the time.  Face it.. people have their notions of Prog.. or what is related to prog.. and have demonstrated TIME AND TIME AGAIN.. that they are unable to see past THEIR notions and see that others see things differently.

The site doesn't need that kind of sh*t at all... we have enough with fully prog additions

Why else do you think the admin team has strict control on Prog Related  additions...  and I think we all would agree the last thing we want or need our admins to become is 'full-time' PR genre team members screening every Tom, Dick and Harry that got submitted if indeed we strove to be consistent and have every group that was remotely prog related.

Edited by micky - June 16 2008 at 20:18
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2008 at 22:21
Last time I checked, consistency was a virtue. If consistency only applies to "what really matters," (real prog) then let's get rid of Prog Related!

In having the genre Prog Related, the site should have known the sh*t it was getting into. If a band is prog related......wuh....let's put them in prog related! Phish is obviously prog related, because they're there. Nobody should bullsh*t me and say Phish deserve to be here and the Dead don't. It is hypocritical to have Phish here and the Dead not here.

Get rid of Phish, and I don't see a problem. They shouldn't be here IMO anyway. But since the site doesn't recognize mistakes and will not remove Phish, for consistency....

Oh wait, we can't be consistent now, can we... Confused
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 00:08
sigh

Stern%20Smile You know, I've said it again and again, but no one seems to take much notice -- or perhaps my position is too "extreme":

"Prog" or "progressive" is not exactly a known, clearly-delineated form of music. In fact, it's not even a single "form" of music at all. It's very amorphous, very subjective, very much a value judgment made in a unique fashion by each individual here.

THUS "prog related" (or "proto prog") is even more problematic. Despite what many here seem to pretend, the music this site deems "prog" has no clear boundaries. As soon as you try to define and contain or "encircle" it with mere words, in a manner that will meet with broad approval from music fans from 14 to 64, and whose tastes range from death metal, to classic rock, to folk, jazz, classical, rap etc, etc, etc, some listed bands which do not meet that supposed criteria can be easily found.

The exact nature of "prog" (and what is "related" to it ) is thus not worth arguing about. In fact, I sincerely believe it's pointless (if the point of arguing is to reach resolution, or some form of agreement, or to determine who is right, and who is wrong), because it's all so subjective. Beyond its historic origins and applications (inadequate and subjective then, as well) "prog" is merely a value judgment -- much like "good," "bad" "best," "worst" "overrated/underrated" (retch), etc.

Prog Archives: I love a lot of the listed music, and enjoy the virtual company of many of the great people here.Thumbs%20Up I care much, much less for the constant bickering and pontification as to "real" prog, inclusion and exclusion, etc.Thumbs%20Down

Is prog just complicated rock? What about the jazz, metal and folk stuff? Is it complicated MUSIC? Where's the classical & "prog bluegrass," etc, sections, then? (And then someone will say "Pink Floyd's not complicated."

Just face it: "progressive" is a near-useless way to categorize music (beyond your OWN collection, that is). What is "related" to that huge, ever-expanding, undefined, highly-contentious and subjective thingamabobby? Everything else is!

This will never, ever end, because, you see, none of us really knows what the other means by "prog."

Note to self: If you ever start a music-reviewing site, just list all artists alphabetically, and in the broadest categories possible/practical. Just put the so-called "prog rock" in with the ROCK, the "prog metal' in with the METAL, the "prog folk" in with the FOLK, the "prog jazz" (or whatever we call it) in with the JAZZ, etc.Ermm

Much like record stores -- in their wisdom -- do.Clap

These would-be fine, exacting categories suck, IMO. From what I can see, they're only good for starting arguments, "ghettoizing" music, and dividing music fans. (They help you find "similar" music, you say? The highly-subjective nature of "similar" aside, that's what your EARS, and good reviews are for!)

Geek How's this for a definition?
PROG FAN: a person who obsessively and compulsively over-intellectualizes and analyzes music, pronouncing some to be worthy (and thus "prog") but most as unworthy. No two "prog" fans will ever agree upon these distinctions, however, and they will argue endlessly on the scope of the term they would use to separate their supposedly high-brow music from that of the bleating, sheep-like masses.

(See also proghole, progsnob, file clerk, art rock accountant, dweeb and nerd -- also the related pain-in-the-ass, party-pooper, buzz killer, and insufferable pompous wet blanket. )

But carry on Wacko -- I know you will! Sleepy

Indignant, mortally-offended, "just leave then" response posts to follow in 3 - 2 - 1....WinkLOL

Edited by Peter - June 17 2008 at 01:57
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 00:10
Great Post PeterClap

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 00:15
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

PROG FAN: a person who obsessively and compulsively over-intellectualizes and analyzes music, pronouncing some to be worthy (and thus "prog") but most as unworthy. No two "prog" fans will ever agree upon these distinctions, however, and they will argue endlessly on the scope of the term they would use to separate their supposedly high-brow music from that of the bleating, sheep-like masses
(See also proghole, progsnob, file clerk, art rock accountant, dweeb and nerd -- also the related pain-in-the-ass, party-pooper, buzz killer, and insufferable pompous wet blanket. )

LOL   this one's for wiki, Peter

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 00:20
^ Ermm Aw, I bet you're just saying that to put me off guard, Drew -- I imagine you're writing me a nasty life-threatening PM even now! Shocked

Ermm Hmmm... I wonder how a proghole would murder someone? Death via endless bickering? Boredom?
 Labelling to death?

Geek Everyone here should just buy one of these (and a truckload of refills!):
Wink!

Thanks, pal!Hug

Edited by Peter - June 17 2008 at 00:23
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 09:38
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ That's highly questionable, but you give no examples either of bands denied progrelated status or ones added as full prog that are unworthy   ..as far as I know, ProgRelated is not a regular category to be utilized as such, but rather a special area for a small number of artists that were literally related to prog or who were significantly influenced by it.  In the case of the Dead, neither is demonstrable, IMO.

It is not questionable. The site has a clear policy to include any new band that just released one album that can be called progressive, and even those who never released any album (unsigned bands).

But for older bands, there is a strict policy that denies some bands that have one or two albums that can be called progressive because in general the artist's primary genre is not prog. And they are denied even in the prog-related . BTW, Prog-Related nowadays add only the favorite non-prog bands of some of the "powerful" collabs.

That's why, for example, the database of this site has no credibility for me concerning the new prog bands.  And instead of fighting hardly against the proposals of old bands, I think something should be done to close the floodgates of new bands. But this would mean that some collabs would have to stop using the genres they take care of to add bands they like and many disagree, like those bands that got 20% yes, 80% no in the polls and were added anyway.

But this subject is too hot to be touched and of course the replies will be all in state of denial. But I want to know if there is any collab that had to write an essay explaining why any band deserves to be added in the genre he is "specialist" in the same way you demand the other people to do to prove that a band deserves to be added either in a full prog genre or in a prog-related genre.

And just to finish, I don't even know much material from Grateful Dead to care about their addition, but the discussion about this addition created an adequate situation to raise these questions.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 13:27
Such a post does you no credit Akin. I had always perceived you as someone who took their appointment as a PR (and thus ambasador for the site) seriously. Just because you disagree with some additions, and feel that others who should be here go unapproved is no excuse for resorting to conspiracy theories and the questioning of the integrity of our SCs.

Your first paragraph is correct, M@x has stated that the site policy should eb that if a band has made a prog album, they should be listed. The second paragraph is quite simply imaginative rubbish. There is no such policy, either stated or not. The notion that it is the favourites of powerful Scs is also insulting and wrong. It insults both the collaborators and the Admin team (who oversee the Prog related category). We treat ever request to add a band as Prog related equally. The name or position of the proposer is irrelevant.

The suggestion in your third paragraph that collaborators use genres to add bands they like is also insulting. Each sub-genre has a team who jointly decide on additions. The memebrs of the genre teams take their work very seriously, and take great pride in ensuring bands added to them fit that genre. It is very easy to make uninformed and insulting accusations such as you have done, but interestingly you offer no evidence.

Your fourth para implies that any denial is futile. You have appointed yourself judge and jury. You then appear to suggest that there should be no need for a proposer to offer any form of justification for their proposal. Confused

You may actually find it reassuring if you were to join a specialist team and see exactly how they work. You would then find that your conspiracy theories are unfounded and hurtful to your co-collaborators involved.
Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 14:26
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

sigh

Stern%20Smile You know, I've said it again and again, but no one seems to take much notice -- or perhaps my position is too "extreme":

"Prog" or "progressive" is not exactly a known, clearly-delineated form of music. In fact, it's not even a single "form" of music at all. It's very amorphous, very subjective, very much a value judgment made in a unique fashion by each individual here.

THUS "prog related" (or "proto prog") is even more problematic. Despite what many here seem to pretend, the music this site deems "prog" has no clear boundaries. As soon as you try to define and contain or "encircle" it with mere words, in a manner that will meet with broad approval from music fans from 14 to 64, and whose tastes range from death metal, to classic rock, to folk, jazz, classical, rap etc, etc, etc, some listed bands which do not meet that supposed criteria can be easily found.

The exact nature of "prog" (and what is "related" to it ) is thus not worth arguing about. In fact, I sincerely believe it's pointless (if the point of arguing is to reach resolution, or some form of agreement, or to determine who is right, and who is wrong), because it's all so subjective. Beyond its historic origins and applications (inadequate and subjective then, as well) "prog" is merely a value judgment -- much like "good," "bad" "best," "worst" "overrated/underrated" (retch), etc.

Prog Archives: I love a lot of the listed music, and enjoy the virtual company of many of the great people here.Thumbs%20Up I care much, much less for the constant bickering and pontification as to "real" prog, inclusion and exclusion, etc.Thumbs%20Down

Is prog just complicated rock? What about the jazz, metal and folk stuff? Is it complicated MUSIC? Where's the classical & "prog bluegrass," etc, sections, then? (And then someone will say "Pink Floyd's not complicated."

Just face it: "progressive" is a near-useless way to categorize music (beyond your OWN collection, that is). What is "related" to that huge, ever-expanding, undefined, highly-contentious and subjective thingamabobby? Everything else is!

This will never, ever end, because, you see, none of us really knows what the other means by "prog."

Note to self: If you ever start a music-reviewing site, just list all artists alphabetically, and in the broadest categories possible/practical. Just put the so-called "prog rock" in with the ROCK, the "prog metal' in with the METAL, the "prog folk" in with the FOLK, the "prog jazz" (or whatever we call it) in with the JAZZ, etc.Ermm

Much like record stores -- in their wisdom -- do.Clap

These would-be fine, exacting categories suck, IMO. From what I can see, they're only good for starting arguments, "ghettoizing" music, and dividing music fans. (They help you find "similar" music, you say? The highly-subjective nature of "similar" aside, that's what your EARS, and good reviews are for!)

PROG FAN: a person who obsessively and compulsively over-intellectualizes and analyzes music, pronouncing some to be worthy (and thus "prog") but most as unworthy. No two "prog" fans will ever agree upon these distinctions, however, and they will argue endlessly on the scope of the term they would use to separate their supposedly high-brow music from that of the bleating, sheep-like masses.

But carry on Wacko -- I know you will! Sleepy

Indignant, mortally-offended, "just leave then" response posts to follow in 3 - 2 - 1....WinkLOL

Peter, I couldn't agree more with you. ClapI was always against artificial invention of some "sub-genres" and felt that it would be better to have less than to have more sub-categories. Definition and labeling can be a burdensome job and create unneeded frustrations where there is no problem. Even the term prog is questionable as you said, but at least it has a historical reference to 1970s progressive rock.

Maybe you are too harsh when defining prog fans but surely some do deserve it. LOL

Prog-related category is confusing, but as I remember Max introduced it as a means to expand the addition of other bands that may add value to the PA in terms of attracting more "non-prog" visitors who might be interested to learn of "pure" prog. While I cannot say I entirely agree with this idea, it was up to him to decide.

How this all started? Ah, THE GRATEFUL DEAD! Since I am a big fan of the band (but no, not Deadhead Dead) and that I own 99% of their official studio and live albums, I think I can throw a penny or two into this thread.

Without doubt, GD are one of the greatest rock acts in the history. Clap Regarding their genre/category description, I think it is silly idea since their music is the art influenced by plethora of musical elements and legacy. But, to uninitiated, let me try to put it this way:

1. 1967-69, first four albums (s/t debut, Anthem of the Sun, Aoxomoxoa and Live Dead) are genuine psychedelia sprang out of Californian folk-rock, related to JEFFERSON AIRPLANE. There were lots of experimentation with long solos and electronics, both in studio and live context;

2. 1970-73, two studio (Workingmans Dead and American Beauty) and three live (The Grateful Dead, Europe '72 and Bear's Choice), more mainstream country rock and folk rock oriented studio albums with frequent blues and R'n'B covers. In this period they gained reputation of a "jam band" capable of playing long improvisations in concerts.

3. 1973-77, four studio (Wake of the Flood, Mars Hotel, Blues for Allah and Terrapin Station) and a live album (Steal Your Face), they developed an enormous "Wall of Sound" technology for live gigs, resembling the FLOYD's attention to technicalities, these albums contain more elements of jazz and progressive rock, and even traces of electronic/space experiments. Creative peak of the band, at least in terms of studio albums production.

4. 1978-81, two studio (Shakedown Street and Go to Heaven) and two live sets (Dead Set and Reckoning), Declining period, studio albums are weaker containing shorter and radio friendly songs, elements of mainstream American "heartland rock" with usual mixture of country, folk and blues.

5. 1987-90, great come back after 6 years hiatus, commercial peak with album In the Dark. Poor album Built to Last and excellent live set Without a Net with lengthy improvised versions of songs including jazz moments.

Now, that's it excluding their enormous unofficial or semi-official (Dick's Picks) and bootleg live records...
Anyone can tell me where to file this band? Confused In fact, I don't really care. I just love them Big%20smile.

It is only illogical to have JEFFERSON AIRPLANE here in "proto" category and not to have GD. I will leave you to decide without my explicit answer...
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 15:30

Getting back to the specific thread topic, the admin team have never been asked to decide on GD. If someone is wanting to add them and would like the admin team to consider them for PR or PP, just let us know.

akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 16:03
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Such a post does you no credit Akin. I had always perceived you as someone who took their appointment as a PR (and thus ambasador for the site) seriously. Just because you disagree with some additions, and feel that others who should be here go unapproved is no excuse for resorting to conspiracy theories and the questioning of the integrity of our SCs.

Your first paragraph is correct, M@x has stated that the site policy should eb that if a band has made a prog album, they should be listed. The second paragraph is quite simply imaginative rubbish. There is no such policy, either stated or not. The notion that it is the favourites of powerful Scs is also insulting and wrong. It insults both the collaborators and the Admin team (who oversee the Prog related category). We treat ever request to add a band as Prog related equally. The name or position of the proposer is irrelevant.

The suggestion in your third paragraph that collaborators use genres to add bands they like is also insulting. Each sub-genre has a team who jointly decide on additions. The memebrs of the genre teams take their work very seriously, and take great pride in ensuring bands added to them fit that genre. It is very easy to make uninformed and insulting accusations such as you have done, but interestingly you offer no evidence.

Your fourth para implies that any denial is futile. You have appointed yourself judge and jury. You then appear to suggest that there should be no need for a proposer to offer any form of justification for their proposal. Confused

You may actually find it reassuring if you were to join a specialist team and see exactly how they work. You would then find that your conspiracy theories are unfounded and hurtful to your co-collaborators involved.

You critics would be valid if I had said that every specialist adds what they want. I said that some have added bands contrary to others suggestions (like polls with 80% voting for not adding). I know that are hard workers there and I directed my comment to those who abuse of their position sometimes. I, of course, will not mention their names explicitly for ethical reasons.

My fourth paragraph was misunderstood by you. I said that there should be the necessity of every addition to be justified, being it done either by consensus over suggestions or by the private research of the specialists. So instead of battling over the arguments 'I see prog in the songs of band X' and 'I don't see prog in songs of band X', the proposers would write an essay like the ones the specialists had to write to justify an inclusion and if he could make a good essay, the band would be really considered for addition. This measure would also close the floodgates and avoid the fights based on taste. This would make the argument 'if X then Y' less often also because anyone could check all the arguments that led the inclusion of X before proposing Y just because the person thinks they sound the same.

About the second paragraph, my argument is not rubbish, because many bands were rejected because one of their albums was prog, but the rest of their catalogue not prog enough. Check the forums and you will spot that very often. About the prog-related additions, they seem to be made according to special collabs taste. If it is so, it doesn't mean that they are in fact done like that, but that the policy for these additions is so bad that they make it seem true and they lead to the most fights of the site.

See, every discussion has always the same arguments "I think it is'/'I think it is not' and 'every artist is added according to his own merits'. If these are the main arguments, if you compare a band that was approved and a band that was rejected, you will think that the additions are not based on the arguments (which are always the same, as I said), but on the people that made the arguments in favor or against the inclusion.

The conclusion is that the site lacks transparency in its decisions and if nothing is done to increase transparency to the people who is concerned about the site, most of the energy will continue being spent on the same bs and we will see the same kinds of unfertile discussions and topics forever.

And for those who felt offended by my previous post, I apologize because I didn't mean to offend the people that work hard for the site, but probably my points were not so clear for you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>