FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGene Simmons insults Radiohead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gene Simmons insults Radiohead
    Posted: June 13 2008 at 16:24

Kiss star Gene Simmons has slammed bands including Radiohead, who he believes put on boring live shows.

Simmons said that bands have a responsibility to provide a spectacle for their fans and shouldn't just stand static with a guitar.

"I admire bands like Radiohead, but the idea of being that serious? f**k that, get up on stage and blow sh*t up,Simmons said.

Simmons went on to compare live performances to films, saying that they require audio and visual elements.

If you're not fulfilling the visual part it's like watching a movie with your eyes closed,” he told WENN.

"One of the biggest compliments we get is (when people say), 'I f**king hate their music but that's the best show I ever saw in my life.'"

Radiohead were criticised by music fans earlier this week who called the opening nights of their European tour “terrible”.

I just copied this from www.ultimate-guitar.com

Opinions? I think that he was completley out of line saying something like that, and should keep his mouth shut, but at the same time their shows aren't that exciting from what I've heard. I still think Gene Simmons was pretty out of line by saying that.
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 16:27
When the worst band ever insults the best band ever, all you have to do is just turn the other cheek and let those talentless hacks humor themselves. Ying%20Yang
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 16:29
It's just Gene being Gene.  He didn't really insult their style, so much as point out the difference between a Kiss show and a Radiohead show.  One features good music, and a good light show, and the other is a circus.  It would be like Dee Snyder saying Thom Yorke wears boring clothes.  Obvious, yes, when you're wearing spandex and mascara.
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
KeleCableII View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 16:32
I wonder what he would have thought of a Gabriel-era Genesis show, haha.
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 16:33
What's the insult, really?

He thinks that visuals are an important element in a live show. I, to an extent, agree. He also thinks that Radiohead's live shows are lacking the visual part. Big deal. He admits he admires their music/other competence, but thinks they should take themselves a little less seriously in shows.

Frankly, his comment is fine by me, and basically uninsulting. He's not 'slamming' Radiohead at all, he's criticising their live visual performance, and he's not doing it specifically to Radiohead, just generally for bands he feels lack the needed live visual elements.
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 16:33
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

It's just Gene being Gene.  He didn't really insult their style, so much as point out the difference between a Kiss show and a Radiohead show.  One features good music, and a good light show, and the other is a circus.  It would be like Dee Snyder saying Thom Yorke wears boring clothes.  Obvious, yes, when you're wearing spandex and mascara.

Clap
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 16:34
Extroverted 70s rocker dismisses some boring band's boring stage show. Nothing to see here, folks.
fighting sleep View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Ahh to think that the spirit of such theatrical performers/bands as Pink Floyd, Peter Gabriel, and Yes lives on in such an unworthy vessel. Wink LOL

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

I thought it was fine, he states up front he admires them and then explains why he (and many others presumably) feels the visual is a s important as the music..  what's the big deal?  For Simmons it seemed fairly tame, and I see his point.

Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 16:40
Kiss gives me a bitter taste in the back of my mouth. Gene Simmons himself slightly less so, but he's not exactly cheese on a plate, so to speak.

'Let's give it another fifteen seconds..'
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 17:07
Originally posted by TGM: Orb TGM: Orb wrote:

What's the insult, really?He thinks that visuals are an important element in a live show. I, to an extent, agree. He also thinks that Radiohead's live shows are lacking the visual part. Big deal. He admits he admires their music/other competence, but thinks they should take themselves a little less seriously in shows.Frankly, his comment is fine by me, and basically uninsulting. He's not 'slamming' Radiohead at all, he's criticising their live visual performance, and he's not doing it specifically to Radiohead, just generally for bands he feels lack the needed live visual elements.

I do agree. But also in some way Gene cannot expect from a prog band extravagant stupid circus show. I dunno about Radiohead really, I saw their clips and the voice is quite pittiful, but that's another topic. What I say is that Gene can't expect a "prog" band playing live like Kiss. There's no need. Ok you can do it the Genesis style, or Yes, or Floyd or even ELP, but the Kiss show is for clowns as Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Guns, etc.

If it was another guy like Dave Gilmour or Peter Gabriel, etc telling that I would be fine, but Gene Simmons telling that it's quite
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 17:16
When there's a reality-show based on an artist's family life, it should be a general rule to strip that character of every inch of credibility.

I enjoy KISS music. But please!

Anyway, I don't think he was insulting or anything. But you don't have to worry that much about what he says... He has a reality show based on his family life, for Who/whatever-you-believe-in's sake!

Now if Bret Michaels from Poison would have said that about Radiohead, then we would have to rally behind the...Tongue
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 17:22
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

When there's a reality-show based on an artist's family life, it should be a general rule to strip that character of every inch of credibility.

I enjoy KISS music. But please!

Anyway, I don't think he was insulting or anything. But you don't have to worry that much about what he says... He has a reality show based on his family life, for Who/whatever-you-believe-in's sake!

Now if Bret Michaels from Poison would have said that about Radiohead, then we would have to rally behind the...Tongue

Bret Micheals is 1000 times worse than kiss which are already pretty bad.

Edited by jwxlite - June 13 2008 at 17:22
1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 17:37
You know guys, I'm with Gene on this one. I don't shell out anywhere from 25-100 bucks for a ticket to basically watch 5 guys stand around like I'm watching footage of them in the studio. It's why I'd kill for Bruce Springsteen, King's X, and Peter Gabriel tickets but didn't really get excited when Porcupine Tree came to town. PT's live DVD is one of the best live prog DVDs, but only because of the music. Visually, there is no reason for me to watch my TV screen while it's on. While Gene is certainly just doing this to be Gene, he's got a point and if you look at the more commercially successful prog/related groups (Rush, Pink Floyd, Peter Gabriel, etc.), the majority of them put on a killer show. Now, commercial gain shouldn't be the reason for doing it, but perhaps if more artists brought an energy to their live shows prog would have been or would be bigger.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 17:37
if this thread lasts for more than 3 pages, then, well, that'll be just sad...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 17:39
hahahah...

compared to KISS.. who wouldn't be boring live hahahhah

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
*frinspar* View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 17:39
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

Absolutely. And if you read between the lines, it's Gene doing what he always does, and that is promote KISS at every opportunity. He's making sure people don't forget about KISS and their fiery, loud and entertaining shows. I would let Gene sell anything for me. LOL

I think for any band, there should be some room for spectacle. Otherwise, I agree, seeing a group live and having people barely move doesn't really excite me. I might as well buy the live album. Which is why I just don't have such a desire to see live shows anymore.
Bands play live to be able to connect with fans. Not to simply play live. A reasonable amount of interaction should be an important part of the show.
listen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 17:43
Different types of music call for different kinds of atmosphere. Do classical orchestras call for explosions and visuals? I think it's presumptuous and naive to say that all music shows should be expressive in the same way, and it ignores that there is a whole range of human expression that can come through music, not all of which involve "blow[ing] sh*t up".
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 17:43
Yawns 
*frinspar* View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 17:56
Originally posted by listen listen wrote:

Different types of music call for different kinds of atmosphere. Do classical orchestras call for explosions and visuals? I think it's presumptuous and naive to say that all music shows should be expressive in the same way, and it ignores that there is a whole range of human expression that can come through music, not all of which involve "blow[ing] sh*t up".

That's not very fair. I think there is a lot of room for options other than "explosions" and "no explosions".
I think Gene's example is one end of the spectrum. And where their music is based on fun, and lacks a great deal of technique and prowess, their draw is to be a visual experience as much as anything.

But there is room for exercising some imagination in finding ways to immerse the fans in the live experience by tantalizing not only their ears, but also their eyes.

I'm certainly not saying some bands need to hire GWAR to choreograph their shows and design rubber puppets LOL But I have felt a little slighted before when I paid good cash to be in the same room as a band and felt that it might as well have been a studio recording played through giant speakers with mannequins set up in front of me.

Then again, some bands do get so worked up by playing their music live that they radiate an aura of excitement that feeds the crowd and sometimes that's all that's needed.
But there is a disconnect that some bands have from their audiences where they may as well not be there.

Quote Do classical orchestras call for explosions and visuals?

1812 Overture Big%20smileWink

Edited by *frinspar* - June 13 2008 at 17:57
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>