Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGene Simmons insults Radiohead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 23:36

^ Well I won't argue that.  Found myself jamming with the boys to 'I wanna rock & roll all night...' one evening and yeah, enjoyed it.  But Kiss and Radiohead is apples and oranges, and I'm not a huge Radiohead fan.

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2008 at 00:02
A Kiss show is probably a sh*tload better than a Radiohead show...
Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2008 at 02:34
I always see Kiss when they come to Australia ... one reason the show !   fans like to get it on it too 4,000 Gene Simmons walking around when you go in the concert arena scary  ...   great fun Kiss concerts are a blast. They have awesome stage props and they spend a ton of money you can tell and they seem to put on a different show every time.  With Kiss its more than about the music its about the escapism and a window in time back to youth while it lasts.  Kiss are great on stage but lately the things Gene is saying I find a bit egotistical I think he should refrain from saying this stuff  ...  we know its true.  

Edited by Yorkie X - June 14 2008 at 02:35
Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2008 at 03:03
I never thought I'd agree with someone like Gene Simmons, but he has a point. Maybe not the "blowing s**t up part, but considering the size of the venues Radiohead are playing, most of the fans can't even see what they're doing, they should at least give them something interesting to look at. Maybe an elaborate light show and giant screens with crazy animations and stuff.

From what I've seen of live Radiohead, they don't have much of stage presence, and don't really put any effort at all into getting the audience excited. You get the feeling that they don't even really care about the audience, at least KISS puts a lot of effort in pretending to.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2008 at 03:13
^ I've always wondered why people put the "stage presence" and visual qualities of a music concert above the actual music. Maybe that's why I don't often see bands live ... seeing how all the other people in the audience don't care about the music makes me feel like some kind of freak.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2008 at 03:15
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

I sort of appreciate it when a band does nothing for a crowd on purpose. KC are the ultimate example with Fripp confiscating camcorders and stuff. I think KC's next live album should be called "STFU if You Don't Like It"

KC does nothing for the crowd? Fripp may be the the biggest audience hater in rock, but that's part of the reason he recruited Adrian Belew. While the other members hide in the back, play their parts, and avert their eyes, Belew is up there keeping the energy going and making sure the audience is having a good time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2008 at 03:18
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ I've always wondered why people put the "stage presence" and visual qualities of a music concert above the actual music. Maybe that's why I don't often see bands live ... seeing how all the other people in the audience don't care about the music makes me feel like some kind of freak.

It's not the most important part, but it's an important part regardless. The fans want to feel like their support is appreciated, and it's difficult to feel that way when the whole band is facing away from the audience, and don't look like they're having any fun at all.

Edited by Harry Hood - June 14 2008 at 03:25
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2008 at 03:18
I don't go to shows. I'd kind of like to, but I live in Indiana. And really, prog is not known for being overly fun...but it can be. I don't get much of a kick out of just seeing a band in person, so I want to show to kick ass, you don't get visuals and explosions on headphones.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2008 at 04:11
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

It's not the most important part, but it's an important part regardless. The fans want to feel like their support is appreciated, and it's difficult to feel that way when the whole band is facing away from the audience, and don't look like they're having any fun at all.

About 3 years ago I saw the Flower Kings ... during the performance Roine said something which I can't remember word for word, but he was asking the audience whether they're having fun and - after receiving a positive response of course - explained that they were having fun too, although it might not always look that way. Their show was a lot like what you can see on the "Meet the Flower Kings" DVD (it was the same tour, actually) ... they were quite "static" on the stage. The point is that as soon as you move around much on stage and try to look "hyperactive", the musical performance will suffer. Of course you can try to switch between running around on stage during easy parts and "static mode" during difficult parts, but progressive music has a tendency to be difficult throughout a piece. So - the more musically demanding the music is, the less "stage acting" should be expected.

BTW: A few months ago I saw Symphony X at the same venue. They were as static as The Flower Kings - with the exception of Russell Allen. Now of course it's a definitive advantage when a band has a full time singer ... he has plenty of time to interact with the crowd, and when he has nothing to do (intros, solos etc) he can mosh and dance and effectively become a member of the audience.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2008 at 04:49
It's not so much the visual aspect, but just demonstrating a passion for the music and showing your appreciation for the audience. I wouldn't consider "Meet The Flower Kings" a static performance at all, even if it lacks lasers and explosions and stage diving. You can feel the chemistry between the band members, and their passion for playing comes across in the music itself.

I recently saw Neal Morse perform a solo show in a run down chruch in Long Island. There couldn't have been more than thirty people in the audience. Regardless, Neal put on a great performance, frequently thanked the audience for coming, took requests (including a song never played before live), and generally appeared to be having a good time. There were no lights or pyrotechnics, just Neal and his guitar and piano.

Stage presence doesn't have to be about costumes or special effects, but it still needs to exist in some form. Radiohead fails in this department. If the passion for the music isn't there, they should at least increase the visual aspect of it, so that the fans can feel something. If Gilmour-era Floyd could pull this off well, I don't see why Radiohead couldn't at least try.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2008 at 05:49
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

I sort of appreciate it when a band does nothing for a crowd on purpose. KC are the ultimate example with Fripp confiscating camcorders and stuff. I think KC's next live album should be called "STFU if You Don't Like It"

KC does nothing for the crowd? Fripp may be the the biggest audience hater in rock, but that's part of the reason he recruited Adrian Belew. While the other members hide in the back, play their parts, and avert their eyes, Belew is up there keeping the energy going and making sure the audience is having a good time.

I think his talent probably was probably more on Fripp's mind than how well Belew could shake his ass on stage hahahha.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2008 at 05:57
Well of course, if you're gonna be in KC musicianship is top priority, but he also needed a frontman, and Belew is definitely the most entertaining frontman KC have ever had. The fact that he's not afraid to entertain the audience even in the presence of The Fripp just makes him that much more amazing.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2008 at 06:13
I think a balance should be found between putting up a show like KISS's, which seems to privilege the visual aspect over the musical one, and Radiohead's just standing on the stage and doing their thing as if they didn't care a lot about their audience. Bands like Rush, to make just an example, manage to be entertaining in a visual sense while making absolutely great music, so that a gig of theirs is a complete experience. As much as I dislike Gene Simmons, I think he did have a point - though he probably chose too easy a target for his criticism.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2008 at 06:29
This is why I like seeing bands in smaller venues, there not big enough for some silly pyrotechnics which can become a distraction more than anything else, but allow the band to get close and interact with the audiance.  When I saw Pain of Salvation headline last years Summers End festival, I saw the bas player Simon Anderson get down on his knees and pose with those in the front row (who sat on the edge of the stage for them) for pics mid song, and I didnt notice any drop in the bass playing either. Still remains the best live performance I've seen. 
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2008 at 11:00
I'm pleased he didn't go for the throats of a prog band I like,  had he done that I would have cut his tongue off and shoved it down his leather pants.  Approve
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2008 at 11:23
O.K., mega big rock star that typifies all that is "evil" about music to some elitist yahoos makes subjective comment about one of his fave musical acts' lack of showmanship live ....
Somehow, we, as a mass of petulant posers should rise and smite said MBRS for saying what many concert-goers think - why go to a show to hear the record ?

(massive editing of rambling on semi aimlessly for point)

Anyways, what's wrong with expecting to enjoy a concert. For whatever reason that might be.

Edited by debrewguy - June 14 2008 at 11:25
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2008 at 12:12
Do people have such a short attention span that they need lasers and giant video screens and firebreathing and dancers and what was I saying?
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2008 at 12:40
Originally posted by A B Negative A B Negative wrote:

Do people have such a short attention span that they need lasers and giant video screens and firebreathing and dancers and what was I saying?
  LOL   
xenuwantsyou View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2008 at 13:20
I thought radiohead's lights were just fine the other day.
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2008 at 13:33
Originally posted by moreitsythanyou moreitsythanyou wrote:

When the worst band ever insults the best band ever, all you have to do is just turn the other cheek and let those talentless hacks humor themselves. Ying%20Yang

True, but the man does have a point. A live show should be more than just 4 dudes with guitars standing still. I wouldnt go as far as saying they have to go as far as Kiss, but something in between would be nice, like Muse´s current shows... which I can´t afford to see cause all the "cheap" tickets are sold outCry ...I put "cheap" cause they weren´t very cheap to begin with, but at least affortable
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>