Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed80's Action Movie Stars

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Who's your favorite 80's action movie star?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [18.18%]
2 [18.18%]
1 [9.09%]
5 [45.45%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [9.09%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 80's Action Movie Stars
    Posted: June 24 2008 at 13:46
Who is your favorite?

Mine is Sylvester Stallone. He's so awesome. The first three Rambo movies were made in the 80's, and all of them ruled (even Rambo III). He made other pretty cool action movies in the 80's (Cobra being one example) but the Rambo Movie series almost automatically puts him at the top of this list (in my opinion). The other people on this poll come close, though. Kurt Russel had escape from New York and Big Trouble In Litlle China, both very awesome. Bruce Willis really only had Die Hard and Die Hard 2, but that's already a great resume, because Die Hard is arguably one of the best movies ever made. Mel Gibson, before he became a religious lunatic (even though I thought that one his recent movies, Apocalypto, was a great movie), made awesome movies like the Mad Max and lethal weapon series in the 80's...

Would you like some Bailey's?
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2008 at 14:02
Tough choice. I went with Bruce Willis. Chuck Norris is extremely cool, but his movies are pretty horrible.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2008 at 16:38
Willis: little charisma, poor acting. Decent movies (DIE HARD)
Russel: OK charisma, medium acting. Decent-to-weak movies
Norris: NO charisma, NO acting. Awful movies
Van Damme: Poor charisma. NO acting. Bad movies (though enjoyable thanks to the martial arts action)
Gibson: Good charisma. Decent acting. Excellent movies (well, not really his action movies, but in the 90's)
Seagal: weird charisma (he doesn't have any, but somehow he's very likeable, therefore he has some charisma). Poor acting. Awful movies.

Stallone: Good charisma (please don't see Cobra or the one about trucks and arm contests), Decent acting (as rocky at least)... And ROCKY. (First blood is good also).
Schwarzenegger: Tons of charisma, atrocious-yet-likeable acting, entertaining movies.

Stallone and the Governor win with me. A tie.

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 00:01
Arnie narrowly beats out Sly.

Two actors on the list even did a movie together...Russell and Stallone in Tango & Cash.

1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 00:25
For me:

1. Arnold- had the most great films and is just likable: Terminator, Conan, Predator, Commando (the single greatest of cheese EVER)
2. Gibson- Road Warrior. Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. Lethal Weapon 1 and 2. The end. He had insane charisma, looks, comic timing, but he could turn into a badass at the drop of a hat. Those four films are all perfect; he's one of the few people to star in a franchise that actually met the standards of the first, and he starred in two such series (Mad Max held its standard for all three and was even bettered with the second).
3. Willis- Die Hard is the only one of note (Die Hard 2 is the worst of the four), but Die Hard is the best action film ever so nyah, plus he seemed like an average Joe in the middle of all these steroid addled freaks
4. Russell- similar to Willis in that average Joe regard, but not as much and his two movies combined can't touch Die Hard. But still, those Carpenter films rock so hard (if you have the DVDs of Escape and Big Trouble, listen to the commentaries; he and Carpenter spend the whole time laughing like the old firends they are and they even sort of MST3K their own films)
5. Stallone- The first Rambo is really the only thing he did in the 80s that I enjoyed (I like Rocky I, the new Rambo, and Demolition Man, but all were before or after the 80s), but he is so good in that. The first two Rambo sequels are the action ones but they are so achingly stupid that I go for the more personal revenge of the first.

The rest suck. Even you Chuck.
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 15:04
Where's Michael Dudikoff?
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 15:27
Who's Michael Dudikoff?
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 15:41
Bruce Willis is the best actor, but as for movies I'll have to call it a tie between Kurt and Arnie. Will cast a vote when I've picked one.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 15:50
Segal LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2008 at 03:19
I've voted for Arnie now... from the eighties Kurt just has Escape from NY and Big Trouble in Little China. Arnie, though, has Terminator and Predator and Conan the Barbarian and Commando (very entertaining if not what I would call a legitimately good movie LOL)....
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2008 at 08:02
My favorite Arnold movies were always Total Recall and The Running Man. Haven't seen any of them since my teens, though.   
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2008 at 11:23
Total Recall's from the 1990s IIRC, though, so I'm not sure if it counts even if it's a great movie.
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2008 at 23:42
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Who's Michael Dudikoff?

Star of American Ninja and other horrible Canon Film productions. Look him up on youtube.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2008 at 15:19
Originally posted by BroSpence BroSpence wrote:

Who's Michael Dudikoff?

Star of American Ninja and other horrible Canon Film productions. Look him up on youtube.

He did a ton of B movies.I particularly remember the movie Platoon Leader,which was part of the glut of (mostly terrible)Vietnam War movies that came out after Platoon won the Best Picture Oscar.

Edited by TheProgtologist - June 27 2008 at 15:19

salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2008 at 16:07
Has to be Schwarzenegger, doesn't it? Made quite a lot of good films when the rest of those on the list barely managed one- he has a strong screen presence too IMHO, and quit films before he headed down the straight-to-video path.

Chuck Norris seems a very likeable bloke and managed one good film in the shape of 'Code Of Silence'- apparently it was written as a Dirty Harry film and it's sure as hell a better script than 'The Dead Pool'! Most of his other films are dull though.

Never liked Stallone save the first Rambo film and one he did called 'Nighthawks' (Keith Emerson did the soundtrack, funnily enough!).

Don't mind the Die Hard films, but I never liked the Lethal Weapon ones very much..

Edited by salmacis - December 26 2008 at 10:45
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2008 at 18:56
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Originally posted by BroSpence BroSpence wrote:

Who's Michael Dudikoff?

He did a ton of B movies.I particularly remember the movie Platoon Leader,which was part of the glut of (mostly terrible)Vietnam War movies that came out after Platoon won the Best Picture Oscar.

Haha Platoon Leader was pretty funny. I'm still waiting to see "Moving Target" which stars Dudikoff and Billy Dee Williams (Lando Calrisian)!
JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2008 at 08:24
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Norris: NO charisma, NO acting. Awful movies

Angry
What do you mean no charisma? He's the fact!

Kidding aside, The TerminatorEvil%20Smile got my vote.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2008 at 12:05
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

'Cobra' is godawful- such a Dirty Harry clone they had two of the actors in the first film in 'Cobra' as well.

Come on, it had a pretty cool car chase.
 Post Reply Post Reply