Topic ClosedOriginality - An observation by King By-Tor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 14:57
Originally posted by Pnoom! Pnoom! wrote:

Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

That said, I'd rather listen to an extremely derivative album that's decent but in no way special than an experimental album that misfires.
Sorry to call you out on this, but I honestly find it quite a lame response (not to mention cliche; I don't know how many times I've seen some equivalent of it).  There are so many experimental albums that don't misfire (regardless of your taste) that you should rather listen to than a decent derivative album that that statement really doesn't mean anything at all.I'm sorry if that didn't make sense.  Basically, it doesn't mean anything to say you'd rather listen to a decent derivative album than a poor experimental album because there are lots of great experimental albums, so why waste your time on either the decent deriv or the poor exp?

Well said
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 15:03
Point taken. I guess I'm sometimes just too cynical for my own good. Sleepy
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 15:17
Originally posted by King By-Tor King By-Tor wrote:

... And then there's the vocal minority who makes claim that any song that has little to no structure MUST then be good.

...How then is simply having no structure being original?

Comments?

No one ever claims stuff like that! you're just making things up.  Who on earth are these people?

Laplace and Pnoom! has a lot of good points here. You don't.
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 15:22
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

... And then there's the vocal minority who makes claim that any song that has little to no structure MUST then be good.

...How then is simply having no structure being original?

Comments?

No one ever claims stuff like that! you're just making things up.  Who on earth are these people?
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 15:43
It's easy as hell to set up a straw man and then tear him apart.  It's much more difficult to actually argue with someone who makes valid points.  

Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 15:50

Should this music simply have faded away when the time was right?
Yes and no.  The classic style (Gen, Yes, KC) definitely.  The new bands that are pushing the genre's boundaries (TMV, Kayo Dot, etc), no.
I'd like to know how they're pushing boundaries that is so different from other bands. Honestly, they make a lot of random noise with no structure and that's fine. But how does that push boundaries?

The thing is that it's not random noise and there is structure. You just don't see it. If there really were no structure or musicality then I would agree with you. And once again, people like you are grossly mischaracterizing the avant-garde "position". I've never heard anyone say that less structure equals better, and I've never heard a song that has no sructure.

I don't understand how you can honestly call Kayo Dot or TMV "random noise", except for the noise sections on FTM, which aren't even that long. It's not noise at all. Merzbow is noise.

I've heard this argument before. The one side doesn't understand why "we" don't want to listen to music "that sound like the music you already like!" and the other side doesn't understand why "you" can. I personally agree with Pnoom, laplace, Equality, etc., but it's mostly a moot point for me because they sound like Yes symph and I hate Yes.
Originally posted by Walker Walker wrote:

so I think it's pointless exercise.

No more so than the rest of the internet.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 16:09
don't categorise me with ze angry posters I was nice :F
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 16:16
@King By-Tor: 

Just because you don't see any structure in the recordings of Kayo Dot doesn't mean there is none.

Later you asked: "How then is simply having no structure being original?"

Answer: Of course it isn't. But having an *unusual* structure can be original.
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 16:30

Yes and no.  The classic style (Gen, Yes, KC) definitely.  The new bands that are pushing the genre's boundaries (TMV, Kayo Dot, etc), no.

I'd like to know how they're pushing boundaries that is so different from other bands. Honestly, they make a lot of random noise with no structure and that's fine. But how does that push boundaries?

I fail to see how bands like Kayo Dot and TMV which are clearly feature very composed music with sometimes pretty plain to see structure is just "noise with no structure".
It's so easy to say that if you don't give them time. Now that I've been listening to BLD for some time now and TMV in general for some months now, you can clearly see why the composer chose the path of the songs, for emotional effect, and obviously those bands are not going to appeal to everyone, KD being sometimes especially inacessible, but to say they are just noise and have no structure, but that's just plain false.
There are a lot of bands I don't like and are inacessible, but I wont outright say they have no structure, because it's not really an opinion as to whether they have structure or not, it's a fact they have a structure, but whether you can see that structure straight away or not is your opinon.

I'd like to know how they're pushing boundaries that is so different from other bands- Tell me what bands sound like TMV and Kayo Dot. So far, only TMV and Kayo Dot sound like TMV and Kayo Dot as their respective bands and in their respective genres.
"Random noise and no structure" is not where they have "pushed boundaries"
It's pretty obvious, especially Kayo Dot, they have challenged many conventions of not just rock, but prog in general, but again it's not something you hear upon first listen.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 16:36

I like Neo Prog and thus I am an expert at unorginality.

Listening to Twelfth Night's Fact and Fiction on the way up, I can easily see why many people would hate Neo. It's in-your-face, but in the opposite way RIO is. It's relies on usually proven chord progressions people should like, and usually very bombastic and "epic." It can be intense, bust distant, or just overly close and sentimental. You develop a taste for it, and like it, or hate it.  It's like the Arena Rock of Prog. Cliched at times, but nuances make other stuff worthwhile.

It's about songs. If you demand craziness in yer music, don't come to Neo for it. But I find Neo is the perfect balance of emotion, interesting music, and catchiness it's the perfect stuff I'd want to go to a show to see. I can like stuff like Kayo Dot n King Crimson, but I wouldn't really care to see a concert of either. Wel, maybe Crimson. ;P
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 16:50
After discussion with the thread originator, I've placed this in the Blogs section. He's aware it can be returned to the PML at his discretion.
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 16:55
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

especially Kayo Dot, they have challenged many conventions of not just rock, but prog in general, but again it's not something you hear upon first listen.

Did you get that backwards?
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 17:02
^it reminds me of that Gerogerigegege track which starts with two DJs announcing the song and one of them says, "this is a world - if not America - exclusive"
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 17:07

Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

especially Kayo Dot, they have challenged many conventions of not just rock, but prog in general, but again it's not something you hear upon first listen.

Did you get that backwards?

I did mean it the other way around actually, lolEmbarrassed
My bad, thanks for that actually, otherwise I might have completely overlooked that.
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 17:08
Just making sure.  I wanted to know if I agreed with you.  Smile
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 17:55
Very interesting read, By-Tor. While I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon and attack your post as I believe you made some good points, I will however say that I do look for originality in ANY music, whether it's modern or not. I love bands like The Flower Kings but I also love bands like Koenjihyakkei or The Mars Volta, and I never was able to understand the absolute plethora of insults against bands like the Flower Kings. I can understand how ones like Spock's Beard, et al, can be seen as acting "in the spirit of the 70s", but even though I don't like SB anymore really, I can't see them as being completely unoriginal.

If I want an album of Yes, I'll pull out Yes. If I want an album of Genesis, I'll pull out Genesis. If I want The Flower Kings's "spirit of the 70s" yet completely unique brand of symphonic rock, then I'll pull out The Flower Kings. I see the influences but I don't believe they sound like Genesis or Yes too often to hinder my enjoyment of them, and I very much agree with your points here... These bands are often too maligned and while I can understand why, it's not my loss.

However, I have extremely come to respect peoples' opinions of more strict or "retro"-sounding bands and each person has their preferences. I love The Flower Kings, but I know not everyone does, and I personally think they create a completely original experience... even if they tap into many 70s influences.

Despite that, I don't think that many people here say that unstructured bands are better because they're more original. I disagree with that sentiment, and I heavily enjoy bands in RIO/Avant and Zeuhl as much as I do Symphonic or any other genre.

Bottom line: I say as long as the music doesn't steal, rather than show their 1970s influences more than other bands, it's all good, innovative music to me and I love it all.

It's not how obscure a band is or how much they emulate the sound of Genesis, it's what they do with their sound, and that's what makes me love the bands I do. Bands that are soulless and try to simply copy the 70s or try to be as Avant as possible for no reason will not garner my attention. That's my take on it, anyway, but I definitely keep my mind open to any type of music as much as possible. It's all going to be different for everyone, and while I agree with you on the point that bands like TFK are often too insulted, you could make a similar argument for other artists as well. Magma, being my second favorite band of all time, I believe can get even worse treatment, but it all comes down to subjectivity in the end.

Either you like it or you won't.
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 18:36

Since that's a blatantly false statement (whether you like them or not, neither band is "random" or has "no structure"), I find it hard to imagine I'll convince you, but here goes.

The Mars Volta pushes boundaries because of the way they've managed to turn punk songs (at heart) into prog songs.  Other bands have melded punk and prog (This Heat, Cardiacs, Ruins, etc), but TMV are the only band whose songs are not a mix of punk and prog, but rather simultaneously both punk and prog.  In that way, they opened up a whole new avenue in prog music still waiting to be explored.

Kayo Dot pushes boundaries because they don't just take the classical influences of trad prog and work them into rock songs, they, as the Mars Volta do for punk and prog, make songs that are simultaneously classical and rock/metal.  In addition, the way they layer their songs isn't present in any other prog bands.

Another good example would be Battles, who blur the line between prog and indie, and also take the inherent mathematical, intellectual end of prog hinted at in Genesis and take it to the extreme, further than any other prog band ever has in terms of mathematical precision.

All of these bands use similar techniques/influences as Genesis, Yes, and KC, but the way they structure their songs is different from those bands, whereas in Spock's Beard, the only reason their song structures aren't identical to those of those three bands is because their song structures are mashups of smaller sections, each identical to those used earlier by Gen, Yes, and KC.

I suppose my wording on this one was poor and simply asking for a backfire, and for that I apologize.

It's not that I don't like the bands (I do like both) and thank you for explaining where they can be found to be original - as I actually do question if people know what they're saying when they say it, so cheers. Clap

now to get onto reading the others posts I haven't seen yet
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 18:40
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

@King By-Tor: 

Just because you don't see any structure in the recordings of Kayo Dot doesn't mean there is none.

Later you asked: "How then is simply having no structure being original?"

Answer: Of course it isn't. But having an *unusual* structure can be original.

Again, poor wording on my part. Thanks for the input though.

Indeed, unusual structure is unconventional, but I rarely find a time when in today's music something comes out that is really NEW. Are we becoming so thirsty for new ideas that well sacrifice what has always worked well? Yes, of course, that's how we progress, kudos to the experimental bands for that. However, I don't think that more conventional bands need to be overlooked or called down at simply because they use a conventional structure.
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 18:41
Quote It's not that I don't like the bands (I do like both) and thank you for explaining where they can be found to be original - as I actually do question if people know what they're saying when they say it, so cheers.

Ah, that makes a lot more sense.  I've recently been a member of a forum where if you don't know what you're talking about you get absolutely grilled so that's made me more cautious about stating things I can't back up.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 18:46
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

I like Neo Prog and thus I am an expert at unorginality.

Listening to Twelfth Night's Fact and Fiction on the way up, I can easily see why many people would hate Neo. It's in-your-face, but in the opposite way RIO is. It's relies on usually proven chord progressions people should like, and usually very bombastic and "epic." It can be intense, bust distant, or just overly close and sentimental. You develop a taste for it, and like it, or hate it.  It's like the Arena Rock of Prog. Cliched at times, but nuances make other stuff worthwhile.

It's about songs. If you demand craziness in yer music, don't come to Neo for it. But I find Neo is the perfect balance of emotion, interesting music, and catchiness it's the perfect stuff I'd want to go to a show to see. I can like stuff like Kayo Dot n King Crimson, but I wouldn't really care to see a concert of either. Wel, maybe Crimson. ;P

Thank you Mr. Stonebeard, it seems we see eye to eye on this topic.

I think one of the things that sometimes frustrates me is the fact that people attack a genre they don't like simply because they don't like without stopping to read into the nuances of the music that makes another certain audience like it. It doesn't have to be 100% new to be good.

This may seem to be contradictory when I attacked (seemingly, in fact mostly by accident) a couple of other bands, but seeing them always held on a pedestal while bands I like are constantly bombarded with criticism has left sort of a bad aftertaste with me. (although no one knows that more than a Neo-Prog fan I suppose Wink)

@Everyone else who made meaningful comments (for or against) - Keep them coming! I enjoy discussion
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>