FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDefining "Prog" ... a practical solution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2008 at 14:42
^ we should be careful to avoid misunderstandings here. I think that for example an album like Mahavishnu Orchestra's Inner Mounting Flame is not prog *by style*. I do think that it's progressive ... thus, by meeting the first criterium, I can call it "prog".

I just doubt that the proverbial "man on the street" back in 1973 would have named that album (or anything by Magma or Van der Graaf Generator) when you had asked him to name some important Prog Rock albums. It's much more likely that it would have been something by Yes or Genesis.

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 02:07

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

As I see it, there are two major criteria which can be examined to determine whether a piece of music can be called prog:

I believe the main point is that this are two different criterias, one for Prog and another for any genre.

1. is it truly progressive?

Not necesarilly Prog, for example early REM had a very progressive (as an adjective) approach to music compared with the common mainstream, but by no mean it's Prog or should be here.

Anglagard in the 90's made almost exactly what Yes and Genesis did in the 70's, they even refused to use any instrument not availlable in the 70's but they are part of the Progressive Rock Genre beyond any doubt.

2. does it *sound* like some previously recorded music which has already been identified as being "Prog"?

If it has certain elements that we have mentioned "ad nauseam", but still can't completely define it's Ptrog and should be here, if not, well there are lots of clasic Rock sites.

Number one has been defined by Certif1ed, and I largely agree with his definition (and also that statement by Emerson). However, most of what we call prog does not satisfy this definition - and I'm not necessarily talking about new vs. old/classic here. I think we have to acknowledge that there is a certain bandwidth of progressiveness ... some prog artists are less (truly) progressive than others, but we still call them Prog.

It has also been repeated many times that Progressive Rock does not have to be progressive in an evolutionary sense, a band doing what Yes did in 1972 is still Prog even if they didn't evolved a centimeter.

Number two is a much more fuzzy criterium ... nevertheless I think it's necessary. Not only are many bands we call Prog not as innovative or musically challenging as others, there are also some which copy or at least take significant parts of the style of other bands which we know to be Prog.

But still they are Prog, because they play a GENRE called Progressive Rock. A musician who makes a composition which sounds as Bach will probably be writting a Baroque STYLE piece of music, today or in the XXX Century.

By combining these two criteria we essentially get four situations:

For me the combination is not required.

A) Something is truly progressive and also sounds like typical "Prog" music

Ofcourse it's possible and it's the ideal

B) Something is truly progressive, but doesn't sound like typical "Prog" music

Then most surely is progressive but  not necessarilly is  Progressive Rock.

C) Something is not truly progressive, but sounds like typical "Prog" music

Then it's Progressive Rock by definition.

D) Something is not truly progressive and doesn't sound like typical "Prog" music

Then it's not Prog in 99% of the cases.

Now, the interesting question is: which of these situations are "Prog" to you? Obviously D is clearly not Prog. The absolute purists might go for A only. The musicians among us who don't like derivative music but are inclusive in terms of style might go for A and B. Those who simply compare styles and don't care much for musical intricacies might go for A and C.

In my opinion A and C are almost always Progressive Rock, B can be Prog or not, and D well if it's yellow, has feathers and says quack, it's most surely a duck or in his case they meet all the parameters not to be considered Prog.

If we take into considerations that a general definition of "Prog" should try to incorporate most major views, I can only deduce that both A, B and C qualify. This means that if one of my two criteria is met, a piece of music can be called "Prog".

In general terms I agree that A and C qualify, B is neutral and D most surely is not.

For me the elements of Progressive Rock are much more defining than the fact they could be progressive, evolved or 100 years ahead of their time.

So ... what do you think?Big%20smile

My two cents.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - July 02 2008 at 02:12

russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 03:09
I like what Mike's done, and I pretty much agree with him. Great work, Mike.

I've been struggling for a few months with a visual representation of the definition of prog. I'm aware of the limitations of Venn diagrams - the boundaries tend to be far too rigid, and there are always exceptions - but it's the INTENT I'm interested in.

Could people please try to break this diagram? There should be a place for every band/artist. All comments are appreciated (though I'm not sure about those who think this is a waste of time - I'm not sure why you're reading this thread, in that case!).

Edit: Mike, I'm not trying to usurp your thinking. This is your thread. I'm adding to the debate. If you want me to naff off and make my own thread, I will.

Edited by russellk - July 02 2008 at 03:21
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 03:43
I'm a litle confused as to why Classic Prog Rock is wholly subsumed by Prog Related - I would have thought that Classic Prog would be out on its own, with other "bubbles" intersecting it.

The description is't very accurate either - the "amalgamation of other genres with rock" process started at least 5-6 years earlier in the Progressive Music Scene, which is what Classic Prog arose from.

There's also a confusion between Progressive Music as a generality and the Progressive Music scene (specific to rock music) I noted above. If it's simply music that breaks convention, then you need to go back another few centuries... Wink

The important thing is not to stop questioning.
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 03:58
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

I'm a litle confused as to why Classic Prog Rock is wholly subsumed by Prog Related - I would have thought that Classic Prog would be out on its own, with other "bubbles" intersecting it.

The description is't very accurate either - the "amalgamation of other genres with rock" process started at least 5-6 years earlier in the Progressive Music Scene, which is what Classic Prog arose from.

There's also a confusion between Progressive Music as a generality and the Progressive Music scene (specific to rock music) I noted above. If it's simply music that breaks convention, then you need to go back another few centuries... Wink

Happy to help. Yes, you're right: prog-related should either not include classic prog rock or the definition should be altered to include it (i.e. PROG RELATED: classic prog rock and rock with elements of classic prog). I'll have a think about that ... or I'm open to suggestions ...

The description of Classic Prog Rock does summarise what was going on at the time, but doesn't preclude what was happening earlier, which is why I put the c. beside each date. Perhaps the earlier parts of the process could become a proto-prog set. The dates only apply to Classic Prog Rock.

There's plenty of room in the set 'Progressive Music' to go back as far as you like - it's the intersection with prog-related and classic prog rock I'm interested in, as well as the more nebulous 'progressive music' that is NOT rock but is still a part of the archives (such as drone music).
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 04:35
Since this is an entirely different topic, I would recommend that you start a separate thread ... but nicely done diagram!Clap
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 04:36
Will do, Mike - I thought it was related, but I respect your wishes.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 04:43
^ it is related and I don't mind you posting it here, but it looks like it has the potential of spawning several pages of discussion, so it deserves its own thread.Smile
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 04:52
^ Done - separate thread started.
omri View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 12:53
Somehow we allways find that popularity is a main issue. This is why people in the streets would name Yes or Genesis as defining prog and not VDGG, Magma or Gentle giant as Mike said earlier.
Yet, we can take this argument to an absurd easily. No prog band ever was popular as Michael Jackson in the 80's or Maddona in the 90's. I'm quite sure none of us will suggest to define prog by each of those examples (and please, don't correct me if I'm wrong here !). Therefore I think that popularity is not a factor here at all. Using the example of VDGG I claim that this band (and it is tottaly subjective - I know) is more progy than both Yes or Genesis. I feel that the progressiveness of a band / artist is quite important and for me it is a big part of what defines prog  (this is why I allways thought David Bowie belongs here and was quite sattisfied to see nowadays he is finally included).
The claim about influence sounds more logic to me but I heared very few Zappa outputs so I can't argue if Magma was influenced by him (and I don't have 1001 centigrades yet so it is impossible for me to judge). However, for me Magma or Can feel more progy than most of the bands that are concidered as defining prog like Yes, Genesis or ELP (all 3 are excellent bands IMO).
omri
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 14:19
^ Maybe when trying to find benchmarks for the progressive *style* it makes sense to name specific tracks:
  1. Genesis - Supper's Ready
  2. Yes - Close to the Edge
  3. ELP - Karn Evil 9
  4. King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
I think that these tracks represent the essence of what we think of when we hear the word "Prog". The tracks also represent a good balance between experimentality/avant-garde and melodic/harmonic elements. I would tag these tracks as 100% prog by style, and 60-80% truly progressive, as I think that there are indeed some pieces of music which are even more progressive - but are a bit less iconic in terms of prog style.

Rubidium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2008 at 00:55
I have two problems with this.

"B) Something is truly progressive, but doesn't sound like typical "Prog" music"

Although I know next to nothing about the genre, I'm sure there are several rap artists who are progressive thinking, and they certainly sound nothing like the "typical prog music", so wouldn't they fall into this category? 

But on the other hand a band like Magma made music that we would certainly consider to be progressive, and it doesn't sound like "typical prog music", which leads me to the second problem I have:  At what point does untypical prog music become typical?  Magma's music was certainly atypical when it was first made because there wasn't much like it before (or at least not to my knowledge).  But after a couple of albums would it then be typical enough for any Magma "clones" to be considered prog under criterion C?  And if so then wouldn't Magma's "typical" music classify them under criterion A, or are we only considering where they would fall at the conception of their "truly progressive" music?  If it's the latter, then how could anybody fall under criterion A?  How can a band be truly progressive while still sounding typical?

I think you might need to define what you mean by "truly progressive" and "typical", but wouldn't that just bring you back to the original question that you were trying to solve?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2008 at 03:22
Originally posted by Rubidium Rubidium wrote:

I think you might need to define what you mean by "truly progressive" and "typical", but wouldn't that just bring you back to the original question that you were trying to solve?

Good point. First of all I think that Certif1ed's definition of Prog and that of Keith Emerson describe very well what I mean by "truly progressive". As far as "typical" is concerned ... it's somewhat fuzzy. Just imagine someone who has the combined knowledge of all us "experts" here ... imagine what he would say if a newbie asked him "what about album xyz - is this typical prog?". I think that for Magma's key albums he'd say that it's not the first thing which would come to mind, but still somewhat - or even "quite" - related to for example King Crimson. Personally, in that case I would say that if the style of prog was a person, Zeuhl would be something like a weird cousin.Wink

About your question: I don't think that my approach completely solves the question "What is Prog". But I think that it separates two contradictory aspects of why we call something prog ... a difficult question is divided into two questions which still aren't straight forward to answer, but in the end less difficult and less contradictory.

Together with the idea of not simply making these two criteria yes/no anwers, but to allow a certain bandwidth/level, we get a much more transparent way of determining prog status. We could even tweak it some more and for each question list some criteria:

1. Is it truly progressive? Complex structure/form, Innovation, Spontaneity/Experimentation, Development/Exploration ...
2. Is it prog "by style"? Reminds of typical Prog Rock key albums, typical Neo Prog key albums, typical Prog Metal albums etc..

Kestrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2008 at 03:30

I think the problem is that we're trying to come up with a somewhat detailed definition of several somewhat unrelated genres of music. I don't consider "prog" a real genre. I don't see a whole lot of Krautrock influence on Symphonic prog and vice versa. They are two separate genres that have one thing in common: they pushed the boundaries of what rock is (to varying degrees). I believe that to be the definition of "progressive rock" and then we can begin to define what symphonic prog is, what krautrock is, what RIO is, and so on since the bands in those categories have a lot more in common. We can discuss how they pushed the boundaries, how they relate to another, etc. 

When we choose Genesis, Yes, ELP and King Crimson as what we define the progressive style to be, we're discluding tons of other bands that don't fit into the "English symphonic" style. They are only markers of a specific subset of what progressive rock is. I wouldn't put Can into the same genre as Genesis; they're completely different from each other.

Like I said, I don't think prog is a genre of music, just like classic rock (which I guess is a whole other argument). All it is is a term that we apply to certain kinds of music that we think others will enjoy just because they push the boundaries of rock music. 

Edited by Kestrel - July 03 2008 at 03:34
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2008 at 13:39
Nice point on the agenda! You've spoken wise (whoever wrote this topic)

There are indeed two kinds of prog:
- Music that has some change in it making it innovating.
- Music that is inspired by innovating bands but doesn't innovate itself

Both can be called progressive. Progressive rock doen not have to be innovative if you put it like that.

I also think to much music is called progressive (grindcore, metal, blablalba). Some bands claiming to be progressive could learn from Elvis. For they aren't progressive at all! I guess every band wants to bring something new, but some bands just can't do that.

Also there is little change in musical equipement these days. In the '60 and '70 a lot of new amplification was made that made new music possible. No-one could have played metal in the '60 because the amplification of the time would not have allowed it. So, no new possiblities that weren't there before.

To be truly progressive these days is a hard thing...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2008 at 05:01
Originally posted by Kestrel Kestrel wrote:

I think the problem is that we're trying to come up with a somewhat detailed definition of several somewhat unrelated genres of music. I don't consider "prog" a real genre. I don't see a whole lot of Krautrock influence on Symphonic prog and vice versa. They are two separate genres that have one thing in common: they pushed the boundaries of what rock is (to varying degrees). I believe that to be the definition of "progressive rock" and then we can begin to define what symphonic prog is, what krautrock is, what RIO is, and so on since the bands in those categories have a lot more in common. We can discuss how they pushed the boundaries, how they relate to another, etc. 

When we choose Genesis, Yes, ELP and King Crimson as what we define the progressive style to be, we're discluding tons of other bands that don't fit into the "English symphonic" style. They are only markers of a specific subset of what progressive rock is. I wouldn't put Can into the same genre as Genesis; they're completely different from each other.

Like I said, I don't think prog is a genre of music, just like classic rock (which I guess is a whole other argument). All it is is a term that we apply to certain kinds of music that we think others will enjoy just because they push the boundaries of rock music. 

I understand you completely. However, you're missing the point of what I'm trying to do. Remember the basic scenario that I described earlier:

Imagine you're an expert of prog music (which most of us are). A total newbie - a person who hasn't heard anything we call prog - and asks you "What is Prog? Please don't give me a long description, just name  2-3 albums.".

Would you tell him to listen to Mekanik Destruktiv Kommandoh, Inner Mounting Flame or Still Life (VdGG)? I wouldn't. I would tell him to listen to Foxtrot, Close to the Edge and - well, maybe not necessarily ELP, but maybe ItCotCK or Thick as a Brick. I simply think that these albums are closer to representing the essence of what "Prog" stood for in the 1970s. Of course I would mention to the newbie that Prog actually encompasses a huge variety of styles ... but none of them are (or were) as iconic and revered as those key albums I named.

What you need to understand is that by naming a "nucleus" of albums I'm not excluding all the other genres. I'm merely saying that they were offshoots of the main classic prog movement - which is indeed synonymous with "Classic British Symphonic Prog Rock" - or parallel movements (like Krautrock or Canterbury/Prog Fusion) which were also regarded as being "Prog", but were probably seen as second tier developments by most people (I'm saying "probably" because I wasn't there myself, so I can't know for sure). Note also that as I said before, some of these bands may actually be more progressive than the other, more iconic bands.
Kestrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2008 at 13:27
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by Kestrel Kestrel wrote:

I understand you completely. However, you're missing the point of what I'm trying to do. Remember the basic scenario that I described earlier:

Imagine you're an expert of prog music (which most of us are). A total newbie - a person who hasn't heard anything we call prog - and asks you "What is Prog? Please don't give me a long description, just name  2-3 albums.".

Would you tell him to listen to Mekanik Destruktiv Kommandoh, Inner Mounting Flame or Still Life (VdGG)? I wouldn't. I would tell him to listen to Foxtrot, Close to the Edge and - well, maybe not necessarily ELP, but maybe ItCotCK or Thick as a Brick. I simply think that these albums are closer to representing the essence of what "Prog" stood for in the 1970s. Of course I would mention to the newbie that Prog actually encompasses a huge variety of styles ... but none of them are (or were) as iconic and revered as those key albums I named.

What you need to understand is that by naming a "nucleus" of albums I'm not excluding all the other genres. I'm merely saying that they were offshoots of the main classic prog movement - which is indeed synonymous with "Classic British Symphonic Prog Rock" - or parallel movements (like Krautrock or Canterbury/Prog Fusion) which were also regarded as being "Prog", but were probably seen as second tier developments by most people (I'm saying "probably" because I wasn't there myself, so I can't know for sure). Note also that as I said before, some of these bands may actually be more progressive than the other, more iconic bands.

Perhaps, but Genesis, Yes, King Crimson and Tull are also far more accessible than any Krautrock band; they're like the pop of prog. I think it may just be more of a product of our Englishness (or English-speaking, more specifically). Jethro Tull was popular because it had the benefit of being from England and could be transported to places like the USA where they would gain even more success, while Can did not get that luxury. (Of course, places like Germany could see the bands you listed as the iconic prog bands but since I have never visited Germany or any other European country, I have no idea of how they view the situation.)

I do see your general point though and I guess I'm just arguing some nitpicky particulars. 

Right now, I'm wondering if there is really a point to the term "retro" prog. Even though they are adhering to the guidelines set by Genesis, Yes, etc. they are still a response to the simplicity of pop music. If Genesis and Yes were popular today, then I could see criticisms of retro prog bands being valid, but because they are just continuing the work of those early bands and are still breaking traditional song (not as much as some bands of course, but breaking nonetheless), maybe the retro label is pointless.

Side question, is Anglagard considered retro prog?

Edited by Kestrel - July 04 2008 at 13:29
akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2008 at 16:22
Well, I've said that before and I'll say it again. The problem in defining what is prog or not is that Progressive Rock was a label to a musical movement that took place mainly in the late sixties and in the seventies, the thing we call today Classic Prog. There were other musical movements that had some elements in common with Progressive Rock and later were put in the same umbrella.

Then came many other movements influenced by Progressive Rock (and other movements/genres as well)  that are somewhat different to prog rock, but were also put under the same umbrella and this keeps on growing so much that nowadays we don't talk about Prog Rock anymore. And a more hazardous move that has being done is to use the elements that are present in the new movements put under Prog umbrella to rewrite the past story and to "discover" old prog bands that were not labeled as so.

When a person says he likes prog, the person hardly mean to say that he likes blues, jazz, avant-garde, heavy metal, nu-metal, black/death metal, synth rock, post punk, folk, psychedelic, electronic music, indian music among others. People hardly like every genre (here called subgenre) labeled as prog  that's why there will never be "union among the progressive ranks".

So, in my opinion, is useless to discuss "pratical solutions" for defining prog because every "solution" will not be pratical and will not help. Take as example the first trial of using the pratical solution given. The first reply was a disagreement that Metallica was not "non-prog". This is a sign that what people in the site call "Prog" will never have a efficient way to define, because it is too much to be defined.
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2008 at 06:26
Originally posted by akin akin wrote:

Well, I've said that before and I'll say it again. The problem in defining what is prog or not is that Progressive Rock was a label to a musical movement that took place mainly in the late sixties and in the seventies, the thing we call today Classic Prog. There were other musical movements that had some elements in common with Progressive Rock and later were put in the same umbrella.

Then came many other movements influenced by Progressive Rock (and other movements/genres as well)  that are somewhat different to prog rock, but were also put under the same umbrella and this keeps on growing so much that nowadays we don't talk about Prog Rock anymore. And a more hazardous move that has being done is to use the elements that are present in the new movements put under Prog umbrella to rewrite the past story and to "discover" old prog bands that were not labeled as so.

When a person says he likes prog, the person hardly mean to say that he likes blues, jazz, avant-garde, heavy metal, nu-metal, black/death metal, synth rock, post punk, folk, psychedelic, electronic music, indian music among others. People hardly like every genre (here called subgenre) labeled as prog  that's why there will never be "union among the progressive ranks".

So, in my opinion, is useless to discuss "pratical solutions" for defining prog because every "solution" will not be pratical and will not help. Take as example the first trial of using the pratical solution given. The first reply was a disagreement that Metallica was not "non-prog". This is a sign that what people in the site call "Prog" will never have a efficient way to define, because it is too much to be defined.

Not sure anyone will disagree with you regarding the breadth of what's now called 'prog' and the small likelihood that anyone will like every facet. And yes, we argue about it all the time. I'm not sure, though, why you would conclude that no solutions will help. I would have thought Mike's thread has helped people see some similarities and differences in various aspects of prog, and at the least people will be better informed when they next come to argue!
Dorsalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 02:30
From A to Z baby.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>