Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Tangent & Beardfish join forces in new lineup!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Tangent & Beardfish join forces in new lineup!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Tangent & Beardfish join forces in new lineup!
    Posted: July 02 2008 at 15:39
From the bands website:

The Tangent to join forces with BEARDFISH:

The Tangent is undergoing a large change. After four studio albums plus 2 live CDs and a DVD, the group is about to take a new step forward.
Andy Tillison will remain at the band's helm, along with founder member Guy Manning, Theo Travis and the more recently recruited Jakko M Jakszyk. However, the association with the Malmo based trio of Jonas Reingold, Jaime Salazar and Krister Jonsson is now over and The Tangent will return in effect to its more project based rooting. The replacement musicians are well known to many of you and are the whole of the young and enthusiastic quartet "Beardfish" from Sweden. The new project band will make its live debut at The Summer's End Festival in the UK on the 28th September. Plans are afoot for the commencement of recording of the next Tangent album, which it is hoped will use the lineup to maximum effect

And here's a link to a more in depth explenation from Andy Tillison: http://thetangent.org/

It should be interesting to see how the knew line up works out at Summers End, but I've got to admit I'm worried about the loss of Jonas Reingold, definitely one of the best bass players going and rather large shoes to fill.

Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 16:01
Wow.  I've read that Andy thinks Not as good as the book is not as good as A Place in the Que. Maybe this is something he is doing to reinvigorate himself.  I think I need to finally check out Beardfish
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 16:01
I wanted to post this last night, but forgot about it until now

I don't know about you guys, but those band's albums this year were TOP notch, I am way more than excited about this . Not worried about the bass player's shoes, have you seen Beardfish's bass player play? He's a madman!
mpomy View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 16:37
I'm so glad things are happening for Beardfish. I can't believe how good this band is. They are so young and play such powerful music. The enthusiasm is contagious. I was most pleased to hear that Beardfish will continue to exist in its own right. There is a TON of good music yet to be written and played by these gentlemen.
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2008 at 02:23
Hmmm. Yea I am a bit concerned about the loss of Reingold, but hey, we still have The Flower Kings. This should be quite interesting.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2008 at 06:32
I don't want Beardfish's dynamism, playfulness, enthusiasm and ability to be absorbed into something they have less control over. Can someone reassure me here?
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2008 at 08:03
The combination of Reingold and Salazar really impressed my on their newest disc; but, always open to see how things get shaken up.

Now if we can somehow convince Tillison to take a less active role in the vocals department. Big%20smile

E
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2008 at 12:52
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

The combination of Reingold and Salazar really impressed my on their newest disc; but, always open to see how things get shaken up.

Now if we can somehow convince Tillison to take a less active role in the vocals department. Big%20smile

E

Well, they do have a second singer now, maybe he can be convinced to do the lions share of the work line Stolt did.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2008 at 00:49
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

E

I love Tillison's vocals! but then... I love Rikard's as well. I'm torn Embarrassed
mpomy View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 09:33
Originally posted by russellk russellk wrote:

I don't want Beardfish's dynamism, playfulness, enthusiasm and ability to be absorbed into something they have less control over. Can someone reassure me here?

I've had exactly the same concern since hearing this news. Rikard has posted that elsewhere that there is nothing to worry about, as Beardfish are already making plans for the next record. Tillson has also said that The Tangent will continue to be 'project' oriented, which makes me think that he's not looking for a permanent collaboration/exclusive either.
THRAKtor View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2008 at 12:26
Shame about the "Malmö trio" leaving, Salazar is still my favourite Flower Kings drummer, was impressed with Krister Jonsson and Reingold is just the man as far as bass is concerned.
I hope Tillison does keep hold of the English member of the band to maintain some sort of continuity.

And would definitely like to see him share the vocals with Rikard and even Jakko.

Beardfish are amazing, and as Reingold says it does sound interesting on paper but will have to see what the chemistry between them and the English quartet will be like.

Maybe Tillison was just too lazy to play all the keyboard parts himself!
 Post Reply Post Reply