Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedlife on other planets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: do you believe there´s life out there?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.56%]
2 [5.13%]
5 [12.82%]
23 [58.97%]
6 [15.38%]
2 [5.13%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: life on other planets
    Posted: July 07 2008 at 16:04
so, what do u think now that smaller and smaller planets are being discovered?

Edited by Zitro - July 07 2008 at 16:05
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 16:36
In my thinking....

"If....

....there is a Creator, then I don't know. He'd probably want to study or occupy his time with more than us, so why not have other life-filled planets"

....there is no Creator, then hell yes! Countless stars, countless possibilities. We can't be the only ones who've done it."
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 16:42
Most likely.  Anyone interested can look up the Drake equation and other related arguments and hypotheses.
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 17:40
In the infinite universe I'm sure we're no special exception to the rule of space being a vacuum. I'm sure there's something out there, even if we never meet.
Kestrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 18:20

There probably are, but I doubt we'll ever meet. The nearest galaxy to ours is the Andromeda Galaxy which is 2.5 million light-years away. If we ever developed technology that could bring us near the speed of light... it would still take us 2.5 million years to get there. Unless we develop some teleport technology or wormhole stuff or something... I don't see a point in even thinking there is anything out there.

Edit: I guess there are closer galaxies to us than the Andromeda galaxy; it's just the nearest spiral galaxy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nearest_galaxies

Even with the closest one which is .02 million light years away... that's still 20,000 light years away... I can't imagine ever reaching that. Unless Star Trek happens.

Edited by Kestrel - July 07 2008 at 18:24
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 18:36
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Most likely.  Anyone interested can look up the Drake equation and other related arguments and hypotheses.
Ah, that would be me then Embarrassed

The Drake equation (N = N* fp ne fl fi fc fL) is concerned with predicting the number of planets that could support a technological intelligent lifeform whose electromagnetic radiation (tv, radio etc.) we could detect now, so it specifically concerns itself with planets within our galaxy. What it does not predict is the infinitesimally small probability of us ever detected said radiation.

So, since we can never hope to detect the technological intelligent lifeforms in our own galaxy, there is no reason to exclude the other galaxies in the Universes and we can also remove the intelligence, technological and planetary lifetime factors from the equation, therefore the total number of possible planets that possibly could support (or have supported, or will support) life of any kind is, as they say, astronomical.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 18:48
Originally posted by Kestrel Kestrel wrote:

There probably are, but I doubt we'll ever meet. The nearest galaxy to ours is the Andromeda Galaxy which is 2.5 million light-years away. If we ever developed technology that could bring us near the speed of light... it would still take us 2.5 million years to get there. Unless we develop some teleport technology or wormhole stuff or something... I don't see a point in even thinking there is anything out there.

Edit: I guess there are closer galaxies to us than the Andromeda galaxy; it's just the nearest spiral galaxy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nearest_galaxies

Even with the closest one which is .02 million light years away... that's still 20,000 light years away... I can't imagine ever reaching that. Unless Star Trek happens.

Star Trek Voyager was stranded in the Delta quadrant of this galaxy (75,000 light-years away) and it was supposed to take them 75 years to get back (average speed of Warp 6). So 20,000 light-years would be 20 years.
What?
Kestrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 19:00

Haha, so even in our imaginations we are not capable of such speeds. I've only seen a couple episodes of Star Trek so I had no idea how fast they could go.

Do you happen to know Star Wars speeds?

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 19:01
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL...   LOLLOLLOL..  no.
What?
Kestrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 19:47
Haha. Well, this http://www.theforce.net/swtc/hyperspace.html#speed says 120,000c. 

Edited by Kestrel - July 07 2008 at 19:48
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 20:15

The Drake Equation is pretty interesting, I'm thinking there is but we won't come in contact with them anytime soon.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 21:01
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Ah, that would be me then Embarrassed

The Drake equation (N = N* fp ne fl fi fc fL) is concerned with predicting the number of planets that could support a technological intelligent lifeform whose electromagnetic radiation (tv, radio etc.) we could detect now, so it specifically concerns itself with planets within our galaxy. What it does not predict is the infinitesimally small probability of us ever detected said radiation.

So, since we can never hope to detect the technological intelligent lifeforms in our own galaxy, there is no reason to exclude the other galaxies in the Universes and we can also remove the intelligence, technological and planetary lifetime factors from the equation, therefore the total number of possible planets that possibly could support (or have supported, or will support) life of any kind is, as they say, astronomical.

Ah, I knew you would find your way to this thread.  Tongue

Such an interesting topic - led me on about an hour's worth of "wiki-ing" that had me reading about the Cambrian explosion and the evolution of the eye.  Confused
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 21:07

Ah, I knew you would find your way to this thread.  Tongue

like a circling buzzard Wink

Such an interesting topic - led me on about an hour's worth of "wiki-ing" that had me reading about the Cambrian explosion and the evolution of the eye.  Confused
The eye is the easy bit - 'tis colour vision that takes some explaining
What?
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 21:09
Originally posted by Kestrel Kestrel wrote:

Even staying within our own galaxy (which I consider big enough for our current purposes, thank you very much Wink), the nearest extrasolar planet is 10.5 light years away.  If we were to launch a probe like Voyager 1 to study it (traveling at 17.1 km/s), it would take over 17,000 years to reach the planet - which has been determined to be a Jupiter-sized (mass) planet, so probably no little green men to greet it anyway.

Remember the wise old (and late) Douglas Adams:  Space is big.

Edited by NaturalScience - July 07 2008 at 21:10
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 22:33

It annoys me when that happens... I was doing that earlier. LOL  I kept clicking on the relevant links and never getting back to where I started.
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 22:49
is difficult
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2008 at 13:45
There is a life on Kobaia. 
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2008 at 17:14
Life, absolutely. Intelligent life, I'm not so sure. Probably not in this time, in this galaxy. Pity...

But then again, many values of parameters in Drake's equation are unknown, so I can at least hope..
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2008 at 18:12
What is life anyway? Confused
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2008 at 18:43
not in our solar system but it is possible in others.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>