Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2008 at 21:16
Awesome for Neil! The Best!

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2008 at 10:41
Originally posted by mrcozdude mrcozdude wrote:

im just happy peart won then some geezer from the artic monkeys or something like,give me hope in the world of musicianship.
Yeah I guess I have to agree with that., but the guy always wins it. One thing that I don`t understand is that why Peart doesn`t recieve more accolades for his Burning For Buddy project and why he doesn`t do anything along those lines again. I just think his work with Rush has become stale. Some people will hate me for this but I think Rush shoul have packed it in a long time ago. These guys are individually talented enough to embark on solo work or other musical projects and Peart proved it with his Burning For Buddy project.
OK bring on the hate mail lawsuits and death threats.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - July 15 2008 at 10:42
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2008 at 11:16
VB, the flying monkeys are on their way to wreak havoc, assuming that they can avoid the Canadian Royal Air Force. Wink 

Given that I love Snakes and Arrows and have really enjoyed their two shows on their stops to Detroit for the Snakes and Arrows tour, all that I can say is that I am glad that you didn't get your way on this one. 

For whatever it is worth, I am happy that Neil won this award from his peers. 
Eli View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2008 at 11:57
I vote for Gavin harrison!
Peart is definitely a legendary drummer, but this year snakes & arrows wasn't Peart best ever...

Eli Sagie
rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2008 at 14:02
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Originally posted by mrcozdude mrcozdude wrote:

im just happy peart won then some geezer from the artic monkeys or something like,give me hope in the world of musicianship.
Yeah I guess I have to agree with that., but the guy always wins it. One thing that I don`t understand is that why Peart doesn`t recieve more accolades for his Burning For Buddy project and why he doesn`t do anything along those lines again. I just think his work with Rush has become stale. Some people will hate me for this but I think Rush shoul have packed it in a long time ago. These guys are individually talented enough to embark on solo work or other musical projects and Peart proved it with his Burning For Buddy project.
OK bring on the hate mail lawsuits and death threats.

They should keep playing - I think they still have some great music left in them playing together.

I have enjoyed their solo projects as well.  Victor was a lot of fun.

Regarding the Burning For Buddy project - I heard he was getting ready to do something with that again - I think on Neil's website he said something about it in his latest letter.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2008 at 14:03
BTW - Gavin Harrison is a fantastic drummer.  I am sure he will continue to do great things.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2008 at 14:39
Well now that he`s playing with Crimson I think that`s a great thing in itself.
SilverAnubis View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2008 at 18:52
Peart don't are good drummer? Oh my god... Peart are perfect, I don't very fan of Rush, but Neil style don't have errors... this is a reality, the best drummer, of course.

I prefer Danny Carey, Donati, Chambers, Portnoy... but, Neil are best, this is true my friend.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2008 at 13:37
`Don`t you guys listen to anything else? I could make a list of about 100 drummers that would make Peart look like a fool.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2008 at 15:33

`Don`t you guys listen to anything else? I could make a list of about 100 drummers that would make Peart look like a fool.

Enough already.

He is legendary.  You can find all kinds of references by other great drummers to Neil and their utmost respect for him.

So you don't like him, big deal.  You and others could also create a list of those who you think are better.  Your opinion.

IMO, you are being a little silly about this.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2008 at 10:46
He`s good no doubt about that I never said he wasn`t good, my point is that he is just a little bit stale and he wore thin on me  some time ago. Of course with a handle like rushaholic it`s obvious that nary a bad word can be said about Peart. I don`t see people praising guys like Billy Cobham and as I said we have a local guy here in Montréal who is 73 years old, Guy Nadon who is simply out of this world. A real local legend who once blew Buddy Rich away back in the fifties when he was just a kid. Rich stormed out of the venue in frustration. You guys goot to listen to more cats play the drums.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - July 17 2008 at 10:51
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2008 at 11:07
Rush makes their first appearance on television in the states in over 30 years, and what do they get....Stephen Colbert prancing across the stage smack in the middle of Neil's drum solo!OuchLOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2008 at 15:47

He`s good no doubt about that I never said he wasn`t good, my point is that he is just a little bit stale and he wore thin on me  some time ago. Of course with a handle like rushaholic it`s obvious that nary a bad word can be said about Peart. I don`t see people praising guys like Billy Cobham and as I said we have a local guy here in Montréal who is 73 years old, Guy Nadon who is simply out of this world. A real local legend who once blew Buddy Rich away back in the fifties when he was just a kid. Rich stormed out of the venue in frustration. You guys goot to listen to more cats play the drums.

I am certainly not saying that there are other great drummers out there - just seems you had something against Neal.

I agree with Billy Cobham - fantastic drummer.  So is Pierre Moerlen.  Gavin Harrison is one my new favorites.
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2008 at 16:25
Well even though I don't like to make a big deal out of these things, but I totally agree with VibrationBaby. I have not heard anything be Neil that has made me awe-struck. I don't care if he's influential, that doesn't make him good. Granted, he is good, but I don't see why so many people view him as highly as they do, on a prog rock site no less. If this were a hard rock site or something like that, I can see Peart being heralded as such, but among other progressive rock drummers I don't think Neil is anywhere near the top.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2008 at 10:38
Thank you. I don`t have anything against Peart and believe me when I was in my teens I went through a Rush phase and still have about 10 of their albums and do listen to them from time to time. I still think La Villa Strangiato is an eye watering instumental. The guy above makes a good point about so many of you guys putting Peart on pedestal on a " progrock site no less ". I`ve always seen Rush as more of a hard rock band and was suprised to see them added here on PA..
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2008 at 11:52
Neil's true talent might be better seen via this DVD. Sometimes the music is not so self-evident.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2008 at 13:46
Wow you have a 100 piece drum kit and you`re an automatic genius. Check out some old Gene Krupa, Louis Belson or Max Roach drum kits and listen to how they could burn down the house. I dunno it just looks goofy to me these " Kiss" drum kits. You don`t need all that crap. Even Bruford plays a rather simple kit with Earthworks.
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2008 at 15:10
^Yea. One of the guys who I always loved to watch was Buddy Rich. He played with hardly no drums, but he found many ways to make it interesting, and entertaining.

Neil definitely utilizes the huge kit well, but it doesn't help show how good he is necessarily. Plus, the guy has no stage presence. He never looks into the music and he never looks like he's having fun. That also has nothing to do with how good he is, but I think he takes playing a little too seriously.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>