Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDIXIE DREGS / STEVE MORSE BAND

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIXIE DREGS / STEVE MORSE BAND
    Posted: April 09 2005 at 12:30
Ok, so I saw the show last night.. and it was fantastic. Luckily I have a friend who works at BB Kings, so he got me in first and I got the seat right beneath Steve..... his feet when he was doing the floor pedals were about 5 inches from my face... of course my neck sort of hurts now... LOL!

I enjoyed the Steve Morse Band (just the trio of Steve, Dave and Van).. just because I'm also a huge fan of Dave LaRue's. They opened the show with a medley of classic rock tunes, that allowed Steve to play some "in your face" guitar riffs. He played some Mountain, Deep Purple, even some Who. I noticed they also added in a little of "Freebird" which is what we Southerners refer to as throwing in the kitchen sink...  Tthe rest of the almost hour long opening set was a great selection of steve morse solo stuff.  The strictly instrumental music is so good and performed so well you dont even realize there are no vocals. THe best part is that being the only girl sitting that close to them, I got lots of attention and Dave played off me most the night. At the end of the show, he came over to me, bent over off the stage and gave me a kiss and a big hug...and then he thanked me for the energy. Wow, how wonderful... I love hugs from tired sweaty guys!!...

I think I preferred the Dregs tho just because I love the play off between Steve and Jerry on electric violin. However, the keyboards were just too low in the mix. I like the Dregs drummer, Rod, better that the band's younger drummer, Van. Rod's more fluid, better rhythm, and more energy actually. They started the set with "Cruise Control" then on to "Assembly"..Loved the Zep cover(Kashmir), and the Mahavishnu Orchestra song "Celestrial" for Jerry (since he used to play with that band).

The funny thing is that I've met Jerry before... I just can't remember where... neither can he tho, we discussed it later and he said that he thinks we've hung out together... and I said, "Yes, and I don't think it was all that long ago.. so I must really be getting old"

I got some time with Steve after the show.. and of course Dave. So I have some pictures I'll post later. Jordan Rudess was there also. But I didn't get a chance to talk to him.

It was a great show... and after Allan Holdsworth a few months ago, I wasn't looking forward to another instrumental show... but I'm sure glad I went!!

The other interesting thing is that I took the young Mr. Tarkustra with me.  He had a blast, and I'm sure he'll come on and tell you all about it later.

THIS IS ELP
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2005 at 01:06
THIS IS ELP
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2005 at 01:21

One more picture... of Steve Morse's foot pedals...

THIS IS ELP
wowie_zowie View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2005 at 09:02
AAARRRGGHHH!! I'm so jealous!!!  I wish I could have been there (I could have, but would have had to pay a lot for flying over...). Thanks for sharing your review and pics though ;-)

Edited by wowie_zowie
zappabozzio View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 19:05

Awesome! Jordan Rudess was there, nice! I went to the January 7th show in Orangevale, CA. It was amazing! I wrote about it and also have a few pictures from the show I attended @ http://www.freewebs.com/zappabozzio/DixieDregs.htm. Though my pictures are very poor quality from a camera phone. Also, go to the link at the bottom of the page- it has some great pictures and a few video clips from the show...

Edited by zappabozzio
Velvetclown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 19:06
Thanks Threefates  I´ve been a Morse fan for many a year. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 23:40
I got an email from Dave LaRue yesterday.. which ends with a "see you soon"... hmmm
THIS IS ELP
sdubose99 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2006 at 23:29
Hey Zappa, I was probably 6 feet from you at Orangevale.  Here are my pictures from the show...

http://www.pbase.com/sdubose/dregs_sacramento_2005117&pa ge=all

Scott

Edited by sdubose99
 Post Reply Post Reply