Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report errors & omissions here
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Policy Discussion(was-Kansas Two For The Show30th)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPolicy Discussion(was-Kansas Two For The Show30th)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Policy Discussion(was-Kansas Two For The Show30th)
    Posted: July 10 2008 at 19:08
I reviewed this one under the original album.  Just saw that a separate entry was made for the 30th anniversary edition.  I copied my review over to that one, so please delete the one under the original album.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

ClassicRocker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2008 at 20:24
Actually, on the same subject, there is a minor error with the album entry.  It's not track #9 (Down The Road) that was on the LP and then omitted from the original CD release, rather track #8 (Closet Chronicles).

Minor error, so I didn't think it warranted its own topic.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2008 at 20:37
^Plus the thread title was loose enough for that to make perfect sense.
I, of course, never make errors when I post albums, yeah right. LOL

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 10 2008 at 20:39
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2008 at 22:28
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

^Plus the thread title was loose enough for that to make perfect sense.
I, of course, never make errors when I post albums, yeah right. LOL

Yes, thank you for letting me sortakinda hijack your thread.
(And of course not! Big%20smile)
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2008 at 22:44
And while we await our corrections, here's something funny from Jen Sorensen...

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2008 at 23:25
I added the album and sorry for the reference to track  9 you are correct it was track 8. I think the release was significantly changed to warrant a new release.  If I am  incorrect please change it but I think the major additions to the album warrant a new release rather than adding to  the existing release.  If anyone disagree  I will listen?
In other words let the reviews of the first one stand and review this one as its own entity. 

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2008 at 23:33

I reviewed this one under the original album.  Just saw that a separate entry was made for the 30th anniversary edition.  I copied my review over to that one, so please delete the one under the original album.

I would suggest you review this one on its own with the 11 song bonus disk with the remaster on the first cd.  The comparison to the original is not even close.

Smile

E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2008 at 09:09
I picked it up yesterday and the quality is top notch. I'll spin the second disc here shortly, but you can't deny that first disc...with "Mysteries And Mayhem" being one of the best live tracks I've ever heard. Cool to see that old album art again, too.

Also like the fact that there was no post-production tinkering or overdubs for this.

E
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2008 at 11:10
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

I would suggest you review this one on its own with the 11 song bonus disk with the remaster on the first cd.  The comparison to the original is not even close.

Smile

I could have worded that a little better.  I reviewed the 30th Anniversary Edition under the original album's entry before you added the 30th as a new entry. 

I went back and blanked out my review under the original album.  I suppose I could go back and review the LP.  Oddly enough I still show up as having 201 reviews.  Wonder if that will correct itself?

I am a little cheesed that you got first review honors when I was actually first. LOL

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 11 2008 at 12:37

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2008 at 13:18
We've been quite strict on this in the past. M@x ruled that re-issues of albums should nto be listed separately, but that bonus tracks should simply be detailed in the original entry. For example, Jethro Tull's "This was" was recently re-issued in deluxe form with a second disc, and this has simply been detailed as part of the original entry.

My concern is that we are setting a precedent here, which others will cite for future additions. How do we distinguish when a re-release is different enough to warrant a separate entry. By the number of bonus tracks, their length, their quality, their relevance, etc.?

I'm happy for this to be debated here before we come to any final conclusion though.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2008 at 13:27
I'm with you on that.  That's why my I placed my review under the original TFTS entry.  Is there much difficulty in merging the new reviews under the new entry into the old one? 

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 11 2008 at 18:18

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2008 at 13:44
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

We've been quite strict on this in the past. M@x ruled that re-issues of albums should nto be listed separately, but that bonus tracks should simply be detailed in the original entry. For example, Jethro Tull's "This was" was recently re-issued in deluxe form with a second disc, and this has simply been detailed as part of the original entry.

My concern is that we are setting a precedent here, which others will cite for future additions. How do we distinguish when a re-release is different enough to warrant a separate entry. By the number of bonus tracks, their length, their quality, their relevance, etc.?

I'm happy for this to be debated here before we come to any final conclusion though.

Bob,

here is my take on this. 

If an album has been retitled as this has i.e. new catalog number and has sufficiently changed that the reviews of the original become irrelevant then I think a new entry is warranted.
  You cannot in all good conscience review the first release and say you know what this one will sound like and vise versa.  In fact I think it is misleading to review the first CD and link it to this release.

If the album undergoes a straight  digital conversion and throws a few songs in the mix then no because it is not changing the original significantly.  This one where they brought in a producer to remix and remaster plus add an entire new disk to the mix is. The "bonus tracks" were taken form the same tape that had all the originals on it so in my mind this is a new release.

I also added another one in Kerry Livgrens Collectors Sediton because he actually re rerecorded the entire CD changing it significantly. There is no way you can listen to the first and say oh yeah it is just like this one.  I feel the same about this one.

I think you can make a case for Who's next because they placed all the Lifehouse material on that disk as well. That Tull CD is another good example.  Maybe a case by case is warranted.

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2008 at 18:45
I'm going to have to take an opposing view for these reasons:

1. The reviews of the original aren't irrelevant to this release as it has all the tracks from the original LP and when or if they get this version, they can certainly update their review.

2. The minutes of bonus material don't exceed minutes of original album material.

3. Nothing in the cover art or on the CDs labels identify it as anything other than Two For The Show, you have to go into the booklet before it gets referred to as the 30th Anniversary Edition

4. Steven Wilson remastered and remixed Porcupine Tree's Up The Downstair, even replacing the drum machine with a real drummer, added a bonus disc of material that wasn't included on the original and still both versions only have one entry.

To me this is an expanded and certainly the definitive edition of TFTS, since Closet Chronicles was omitted from the first CD issue (boo!).  Well, at least I waited until this release to get it.  But it's still TFTS.

Man, don't you wish they had filmed a concert on one of those tours that the album was made from?  As far as I know the earliest filmed concert was the one with Elefante replacing Walsh.  What do you know bro?  Anything lurking out there in some vault?

Garion my wayward son. LOL

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 11 2008 at 18:46

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2008 at 19:46

I'm going to have to take an opposing view for these reasons:

1. The reviews of the original aren't irrelevant to this release as it has all the tracks from the original LP and when or if they get this version, they can certainly update their review.

2. The minutes of bonus material don't exceed minutes of original album material.

3. Nothing in the cover art or on the CDs labels identify it as anything other than Two For The Show, you have to go into the booklet before it gets referred to as the 30th Anniversary Edition

4. Steven Wilson remastered and remixed Porcupine Tree's Up The Downstair, even replacing the drum machine with a real drummer, added a bonus disc of material that wasn't included on the original and still both versions only have one entry.

To me this is an expanded and certainly the definitive edition of TFTS, since Closet Chronicles was omitted from the first CD issue (boo!).  Well, at least I waited until this release to get it.  But it's still TFTS.

Man, don't you wish they had filmed a concert on one of those tours that the album was made from?  As far as I know the earliest filmed concert was the one with Elefante replacing Walsh.  What do you know bro?  Anything lurking out there in some vault?

Garion my wayward son. LOL

You have the right to your opinion even if it is wrong.  Wink LOL

I don't think the orginial even sounds like this one anymore.  It is like comparing a Blackberrry to rotary dialed phone.

My ansewer to 2 is that the bonus material is 2 minute less than the original cut version (if that makes any sense LOL).

You do make a good point about Steve Wilson although in my opinion it should be added separately.

Yes I am surprised it wasn't filmed at some point considering how big they were from 76 ot 78.  This must have been one of the most unfilmed bands of the decade.  The only thing they have from the 70's is already out there on Sail On. It is sad that the only live concert footage is the Kirshner shows.

There is that one from 1980 Audio Visions tour that could be cleaned up and released but I don't know what the legal issues are with that material.  It is a complete concert in Houston Texas with a half way decent set list.  They also play mask of the Great Deceiver and some lame song from Schemer Dreamer.  LOL

The bootleg that is out on it looks like it was taken from a video tape machine that bounces all over the place.  It is terrible.

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2008 at 21:11
Well, to heck with it!  I've got my review back in both places, bwahahahahah!

You have made a precedent that surely destroy this site and the universe.

But you know I can't seriously go back and do a different review for the LP version, I haven't heard it in years and I am quite happy with what they've done with it.  If I were only allowed to own one Kansas album, this would be it.

Consider the case of Nektar Live At The Roundhouse.  They dropped what was on the second side of the original LP (recorded live in the studio) and then added a s-load of stuff that was never on the original LP or CD.  There's one that was certainly worthy of getting it's own entry.

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 11 2008 at 21:53

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2008 at 02:55
I apologize in advance for my late entry to this discussion, the length of my post, and any errors... upon posting this it's 2am over here Tongue

Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

I see your concerns Bob, but I must say that I am glad this is open for discussion Smile.
I do not own Jethro Tull's new deluxe release of This Was , but, if I may make a point with it, here is the product description on Amazon.com:
Product Description
2008 two CD 40th Anniversary collector's edition of Jethro Tull debut album. Disc One contains the mono version of the album, which has never been available on CD, plus nine BBC tracks from sessions which relate to the album. Disc Two features a new stereo mix of the album plus four bonus tracks from rare early singles: 'Sunshine Day', 'Song For John Gee', 'Love Story' and 'Christmas Song'. This release also features new liner notes and anecdotes from the band members. This Was originally reached #10 in the UK charts, partly thanks to great airplay from BBC Radio DJ John Peel. 35 tracks. EMI.

Note that the 4 rare early singles are the only tracks referred to as "bonus tracks". These were all previously released (although rare, they were available as singles at one time). With the rest of the album, we have a brand new, unreleased mono mix included, and a new stereo mix. IMO, a remix is much more significant than a remaster (they appear to me at least to be two different terms). To me, a remaster refers to something more simple, such as removing hiss/odd noises or increasing/decresing volume levels of the original recording. A remix is an overhaul; the song actually sounds noticeably different to someone who is familiar with the original, which can include minor to major changes in specifics such as speed or equalization (making some instruments "come out more" that were previously "in the background", for example). Although  I realize there is some grey area, hopefully you can understand the general guidelines with which I'm trying to split the two.

Back to Tull. So I'm also unsure if the BBC tracks are all unreleased (could be some, or none at all...), but assuming they are all unreleased, that means out of the 35 tracks of this edition of This Was, 31 of them are brand new. Even if the BBC have all been available before, the original album is included in two totally new sounds/masters, which in all fairness could easily impact one's rating on the album and how/what they hear within the recording.

IMO, other albums such as PT's Up The Downstair, with all the drums entirely replaced sounds like a big enough change alone to affect one's rating. 5.1 remixes also offer a different perspective on the music, and could easily warrant their own entries  (although I suppose that could always be limited to the video section as DVD Audios).

The release that sticks out in my mind the most as necessary for multiple entries is Pink Floyd's Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. In this one entry, we have not two, but FIVE different track listings. Even just the two original releases (along with other bands such as the Beatles' albums Rubber Soul & Revolver - we already see it with Help and A Hard Day's Night), it is necessary to distinguish between the UK and Us releases as they are actually different original albums with different track listings. Therefore, they do not provide the closest of listening experiences. Then with these 40th Anniversary editions (both of them), one of the mixes (I believe it was the mono) has not been widely released (if at all). Several tracks on the 3rd bonus disc were also previously unreleased (to my knowledge).

And on top of that, we have all these releases (especially Piper) with deluxe packaging, liner notes, and other extras (such as the Piper notebook-style bound package with the reproduction Syd Barret diary). I acknowledge this is not the biggest selling point, although i have seen a fair share of reviews between this site and others that have either upped a rating or downgraded it by a point or two due to the quality of the packaging. It's the type of thing that buyers notice. Especially since PA is a site that promotes the purchase of music, and certainly not its stealing or pirating, then it is important to consider the packaging of said music for we often do not pay just for the sound.

I hope I don't sound like I'm getting ahead of myself here; my intention has not been to overwhelm anyone.

Bob, although some of your questions may have been rhetorical, I'll go ahead and say we definitely cannot gauge this decision off of the "quality" or "relevance" of extras. It goes without saying that we are a bunch that often don't see eye-to-eye in terms of those descriptions. As far as maybe the length or number of bonus tracks are concerned, I think as I said before it is important to look at how much, and which material, has been previously unreleased. My (final) example that comes to mind in regards to this point is the Who's Live  At Leeds, which has now been significantly expanded/re-released 3 times. The original LP release had 6 tracks, running about 40 mins. Then in 1995, the length of the album was essentially doubled in length, making for a totally new experience. Most recently, in the deluxe edition, that 1995 length itself was doubled, adding a brand new performance of Tommy that had never been released. Each successive release changed how the album sounded and functioned for the listener. Different experiences warrant different opinions, and let's not forget what's important here, different entries!

Congratulations! You have made it through my post! Clap That's all I got... for the moment. (Now's the reply... if you dare! Wink)

- BTW Brian, ("Slartibartfast" is sooo unwieldy) great pun you threw in there! ("Garion my wayward son".) just had to mention that LOLClap
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2008 at 03:39
I've altered the name of this thread a bit, in the hope of drawing in more opinions.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2008 at 02:02
You might want to start a whole new thread Bob. The name Kansas doesn't draw a whole lot of response here whatsoever. Yet at progressive ears the thread on this album has reached its 11th  page. 

Sad really.

Ouch

ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2008 at 06:23
Was planning to respond but am way too occupied enjoying listening to my copy of this new release. Will get back to you later.

One comment though; the root cause of this thread had to do with how to manage reviews between the two versions of this album. I went back and read my review of the original ‘Two for the Show’. It still applies to the 1978 release, but is woefully inadequate for this version. So if we don’t have two separate entries for the albums, how does one reconcile their reviews to account for both versions?

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2008 at 06:52
Let me throw in to the discussion another similar issue. What about albums that came into being as a result of a collaboration of two (or more) artists both of whom we have added to our database? Like this case:

The First Day (with David Sylvian)
(8 ratings)

The First Day (with Robert Fripp)
(13 ratings)

Should we place the album entry in both discographies like in the above example? As for me, I really don't like the idea of a single album having two entries and two different ratings. It basically seems to be David Syvian's album with just a participation of Fripp. So, maybe the entry from Fripp's discography should be deleted and replaced with a mention in his bio (with a link to the entry in the Sylvian's discography), what do you think? But there's also the problem of both entries having reviews...

As for the original issue I agree that there should be separate entries for different editions of the same album when they differ significantly. And that's what I did when adding Marek Grechuta to the database with his album "Droga za Widnokres". The original album was issued in 1972:

Droga za widnokres
(4 ratings)

but in 1991 he rerecorded it with some different musicians and altered the cover:

Droga za widnokres (rerecording with ANAWA)

so IMO it deserved a separate entry.

Edited by Tuzvihar - July 13 2008 at 06:53
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>