Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPierrot Lunaire & Opus Avantra

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which band's music excites your neurons more?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [66.67%]
2 [33.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pierrot Lunaire & Opus Avantra
    Posted: July 13 2008 at 20:22
PA bio:
An original mix of soft progressive and avantgarde atmospheres is the distinctive sound of PIERROT LUNAIRE, highly regarded among foreign collectors though not particularly representative. Still, over the course of their two albums, this band draw from a broad set of influences as diverse as FAUST, PFM and DEBUSSY for their eclectic, unpredictable sound.

PIERROT LUNAIRE's first album contains really beautiful instrumentation. The second ("Gudrun") is one of the most adventurous records of Italian progressive, and it is one of my favourite albums of all time too. "Gudrun" is one of those masterpieces where only one classification seems appropriate: extraordinary music. In any case, PIERROT LUNAIRE's two albums are a must for adventurous listeners 

PA bio:
"OPUS AVANTRA comprises three parts: OPUS (opera - work) AVAN (avanguardia - vanguard) and TRA (tradition - tradition). Their style blends elements of progressive, classical, opera, jazz and just plain general weirdness, using keyboards, bass, drums, violins, cellos, clarinet, flutes and other instruments. They were highly influential in the progressive avant-garde scene of the time.

"Introspezione" also referred to as "Donella Del Monaco" has all kinds of classical influences including contempory classic. Beautiful operatic voice which I like very much. The second album ("Lord Cromwell") is more difficult, almost avant garde but contempory and old classical music inspired too. It takes time to fully appreciate this album but it's worth to give it that time. "Strata" has beautiful vocal passages, some difficult piano pieces but very interesting too! The fourth album "Lyrics" is somewhat overshadowed being less difficult, less intense, with more minimal of ideas, but still coming forth from the first aproach. Still they are one of the all time best Italian bands. If you're up to it, start with "Introspezzione".
"

A silly poll just to get the word out about these two Italian 70's experimental/avant-rock/folk-ish bands.
Obviously I could have added Stormy Six and Orchestra Njervudarov, but I didn't, so there you go...

jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2008 at 20:27
I'm not very familiar with Opus Avantra so I can't vote, but from what I heard of Gundrun it's great stuff, and the debut as well; lots of acoustic guitar and strange but addictive melodies.Thumbs%20Up

Edited by jimmy_row - July 13 2008 at 20:28
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2008 at 20:38
Great poll Assaf.  I like both, but if I could only take one to the Island it would be Pierrot.  

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2008 at 07:57
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

if I could only take one to the Island it would be Pierrot.  

Yeah, me too

They have this charm in their music, simplicity and melody combined with some quirkier parts (particularly in Gudrun). Wonderful music!

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2008 at 16:25
Any other takers?
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2008 at 16:36
I have the first Opus Avantra CD and Pierrot Lunaire - Gudrun, I bought them on a blind purchase a while back and I never quite got into them, I'll have to give those CDs another good listen someday to see where I stand with them, I remember really liking the last song on that Opus Avantra CD and being disappointed that the rest of the album wasn't the same, 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2008 at 14:03
Good poll.  I love both, but Gudrun is one of my absolute favourite albums.  Much as I like Opus Avantra, I find Pierrot Lunaire more exciting, but Opus Avantra has such beautiful music.
thepenultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the penultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2008 at 15:04

Excellent choices both are, i would go as well with Pierrot Lunaire, though i dont listen to them as often as i wish, both bands are high quality ones.

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Alberto Muņoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2008 at 21:17
Pierrott Lunaire!

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 21:36
Wow, no votes for Opus Avantra... I actually thought they would "win" the most votes.

Post Reply Post Reply