Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report bugs here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA couple of things that just don't work

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: A couple of things that just don't work
    Posted: July 14 2008 at 18:31

Hiya. I don't want to irritate anyone, but I have a few remarks, though I'm not sure where to start.

I'd hate to bring up the fact that I cannot review anymore. I assure you I've said this several times in several threads. In the beginning, it was a wild dream for me to become a collaborator of some kind. Then I stopped making reviews. I realise you can't get anywhere without reviewing. Basically I thought it'd be better, that I reviewed albums that actually needed reviews instead of going through my shelf of classics and adding the 120th review to one album after another. I even picked two from the unreviewed thread to help this. And I would buy stuff that most wouldn't as new, and review them immediately. Given that's just 5 so and so reviews from me, but still.

Nowadays, I was actually listening to After Crying and this thing occured to me, I cannot do anything for this site, haven't been able for years. Last time I tried, it asked me to sign in. That is rather funny, seeing as how I'm signed in to the forums at all times unless I'm sleeping, and after signing in through it, it would just return me to the same question. It's like soliving a piece of puzzle to open a new puzzle, which happens to be the same as the early one. Yes, I tried to delete all the cookies, I even reinstalled Opera. In fact, I had to format my computer a while ago and set it up again, but it still doesn't work, so I'm fairly sure the problem is not in my end.

I was talking to a friend of mine about an unrelated issue, and the PA forums came up. I said there was this thread I wanted her to see. So I opened the forums and realised I can't remember which forum it was in. So I opened my profile hoping to find a list of my own posts. It wasn't there, probably never has been. So I went to search and tried searching for posts that have been posted by the user "Passionist", and it loaded for minutes finding nothing. Now that sounds a bit odd seeing as how I've posted some 700 posts already, and I searched all forums. Now I remembered the name of the thread, so I entered that and tried every forum separately, and the engine still found nothing, not even a suggestion. I'm guessing that's not supposed to happen. But basically the search engine for me seems worthless.

Also, the forums seems awfully crowded at times. I understand that there's only this much one can do to bandwidth issues, but considering all the posts we get at nighttime (my nighttime, +2GMT), I'm wondering, if it's really purposeful to fill the forums with posts that fill in the "just for fun" forums. You know what I mean. I'm not a moderator or an admin, and I am not trying to give advice or orders on how to run this, but either that or something else is really making my access to PA really slow. Especially nowadays it seems to have increased... well, decreased.. well, gotten slower. could be the virus attacks too, right?

Along with these lines we've had discussions about the signatures, and I'm really happy of what's happened to the sizes of those, so thumbs up. Though what bugs me is people making pyramids of quotes, even of posts written just above, as if others couldn't read what's 5cm above...

There's also some sort of bug in the little reply box just under the last post. Every now and then when I type, it seems to ignore the borders and write on the same line until I press enter, when instead it should cut the line and continue on the next one. Hitting enter at the end of the line makes the placing of the text seem awfully messy once you publish it.

Just a couple of things I can think of now, though there's more, if I can remember them tomorrow. Thanks for reading through and for the advice, I'm just trying to adjust

-Tuomas--

EDIT: Actually yeah, I was wondering here, with the quick links to threads in the main window... Is it really in everyones' interest, that they link to the first page, when a thread might extend to several pages. it's often quicker to jsut enter the particular forum and then go straight to the last page as it is.

Edited by Passionist - July 15 2008 at 09:15
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2008 at 03:57
There's a number of points there Passionist, some of which are "bugs", but some of which are policy matters better discussed in the "Help us improve the site section".

Your problem singing in to post reviews would appear to be a bug. To explain though, you can be signed into the forum, but not to psot reviews. Although the two use the same name and password, the sign in to each in independent of the other. We have found in the past that firewalls can sometimes affect the sign success of the sign in. I note that you say you've deleted all the cookies, that would be the other suggestion. Have you tried signing in to post review on a different PC?

One way or another, we shoudl be able to get you sorted out for psoting reviews.

The search for psot facilities only looks for threads started by the member. This restriction is there to help the site perform better. It was found that if it was searching all the posts on the forum, it adversely affected the site performance for everyone else.

The "Just for fun" post is something we are looking at removing from the latest posts list. As to whether they shoudl be allowed, that is a policy matter, and we're happy to let them continue.

Pyramid quoting. I agree with your thoughts, but that's not really a bug, it down to the way people use the facility.

I also agree re the quick links, it's something which has been flagged up to M@x (the webmaster).

Thanks for your input!
Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2008 at 04:53

Thanks for the quick reply. I did turn off my firewall when trying to review, but it made no difference. Forgot to mention that earlier. I use zonealarm, which shouldn't restrict too much or be a problem anyway, but true enough I haven't tried writing reviews with another computers. All in all the problem looks to me as if the forums recorgnised my signing in, but the main site not. Because it plainly asks me to sign in again after doing so. Could it be that for some reason my account is only partially working?

I understand some of the points aren't really bugs, but I thought I'd post them in the same post to make it more convenient, after all, isn't it the same people who read these both? And those issues anyway aren't as important, just on a side note.

EDIT: Thanks for fixing the logging in. I was finally able to write some reviews! Thumbs%20Up

Edited by Passionist - July 15 2008 at 06:09
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2008 at 08:09
A couple "fo" things that don't work.  Man, don't you just hate it when you're typing doesn't wrok? LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2008 at 09:16
It's the keyboard, I swear!
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2008 at 11:20
Good to see your reviews appearing!!
 Post Reply Post Reply