Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGoblin Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Goblin Appreciation Thread
    Posted: April 10 2005 at 11:34

After their omission from the "Favorite Italian Prog" thread, I thought it was necessary to start up a thread of their own.  A criminally underrated band that released two good studio albums and countless proggy soundtracks for Italian horror films in the 70s.  Is anyone else a fan?

Velvetclown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 11:35
Hob Noblin 
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 12:39
i'm not a particular fan, but they have some good bits; the music is very bizarre; however it is much much better than krautrock bands like can and neu!.
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
Keke View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 13:05

Profondo Rosso is just brilliant. Brilliant. One of my all-time favorite albums.

dropForge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 17:03

John! Serious Goblinfan, here. Check out my article on Roller at http://www.seaoftranquility.org/sections.php?op=viewarticle& amp;artid=70.

I'm still not sure why Goblin isn't more popular (it seems as though the band is more popular with Argento/Romero fans and soundtrack enthusiasts than bona fide Itali-progfans.

I love nearly everything by Goblin (Volo is a clunker) and Claudio Simonetti (not counting the 2-3 years in the mid-'80s where he "experimented" with pop music), and Claudio's current band, Daemonia.

Zombi is an American duo (keyboards/bass and drums/keyboards) creating music in the time-honored Goblin tradition circa Profondo Rosso, Roller and (of course) Zombi. These guys kick ass, and the new CD (my review link is below) Cosmos is, er, stellar.

John, which part of the USA are you in? Zombi's touring right now; the tour is well under way, and the dates can be found here: http://www.seaoftranquility.org/article.php?sid=363

{Or at http://www.zombi.us}

Claudio Simonetti - Demoni (remaster) http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&a mp;id=1607

Claudio Simonetti - Opera (remaster) http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&a mp;id=1418

Claudio Simonetti - Il Cartaio http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&a mp;id=1418

Daemonia - Live In Tokyo http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&a mp;id=1150

Zombi - Cosmos http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&a mp;id=1628

The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 17:25
I rather went off Goblin after watching an Argento movie in Media Studies (we were looking at the history of horror, much to my annoyance). Though I love the soundtrack to Suspiria, subsequent listens have been marred (probably permenently) by that film. I can't help but recall how laughably cheesey it is and it just makes me cringe.

Roller and Profundo Rosso remain untainted, however!
John Gargo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 17:41

Yikes... someone who doesn't apprecaite Dario Argento's genius? 

I think Suspiria is one of the finest horror films ever made... certainly in the top 10 for me.

The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 18:33
Originally posted by John Gargo John Gargo wrote:

I think Suspiria is one of the finest horror films ever made... certainly in the top 10 for me.

The first killing is masterful. After that it descends into a pit of awfulness. The scene with the bat being possibly the icing on the cake.

Then again, I'm not a film person, or a horror person. I'm a comedy obsessive.
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 21:58
Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

The first killing is masterful. After that it descends into a pit of awfulness. The scene with the bat being possibly the icing on the cake.

Then again, I'm not a film person, or a horror person. I'm a comedy obsessive.

tenebrae is excellent too!

have you seen "the lair of the white worm"? (not by argento)

[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
Olin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 22:27

Very good music!

++++++++++++++

I love this MP3 sait

Edited by Olin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 22:32

Originally posted by greenback greenback wrote:

have you seen "the lair of the white worm"? (not by argento)

HAVE I?  It's directed by my favorite filmmaker, Ken Russell.  For similar looniness that he made around the same period, I highly recommend GOTHIC.

Horror is by far my favorite film genre... it's the first type of movie I connected with at a young age and it's the one in which I continue to find merit/enjoyment in.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 22:34

Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

The bat scene?  Well in the days before computer generated special effects, that's about as good as it was going to get.  It's perhaps the least successful scene in the entire film, but overall I think it's a masterpiece.  The camera angles are genius, the story is like a fairy tale gone evil, and the visuals are incredible...  Argento's use of color has never been surpassed, in my opinion.

Someone recommended TENEBRE... I highly recommend you check it out.  It's more subdued storywise and it has some equally impressive set pieces.  And, as with any Argento film, is a visual tour-de-force.

dropForge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 23:56

Quote Horror is by far my favorite film genre... it's the first type of movie I connected with at a young age and it's the one in which I continue to find merit/enjoyment in.

Coming to DVD format this year for the first time:

Race With The Devil  -- by far one of the creepiest films I've ever seen! Peter Fonda, Warren Oates and their wives are chased across county and state lines by the members of a widespread satanic cult after one accidentally witnesses a ceremony in a secluded area by a riverbank. Check this one out!

The Manitou -- you heard right! Finally.

dropForge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 23:57

Someone recommended TENEBRE... I highly recommend you check it out.  It's more subdued storywise and it has some equally impressive set pieces.  And, as with any Argento film, is a visual tour-de-force.

Opera is probably my favorite Argento film. It's aged very well, and Claudio's score is tops.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2005 at 00:03

Originally posted by dropForge dropForge wrote:

Opera is probably my favorite Argento film. It's aged very well, and Claudio's score is tops.

OPERA is certainly top notch.  Perhaps the most impressive camerawork of his career, with some truly over-the-top and wonderful tracking shots.

My top 5 Argento would be as follows...

1.  Suspiria

2.  Inferno

3.  Tenebre

4.  Opera

5.  Profondo Rosso

Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 08:27

Just bought Il Fantastico Viaggio del Bagarozzo Mark (Beetle Mark's Fantastic Journey): very good one released in 1978. Original concept' story! (italian vocals).

Edited by Andrea Cortese
snowdogx1 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 14:25
My only experience with Goblin was the soundtrack of a movie called "Night of The Zombies" (god-awful movie, fantastic soundtrack) but I haven't been able to find it or anything else by Goblin on CD. Any idea where I can find some of their stuff?
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2006 at 14:36

Many online vendors stock all things Goblin and Goblin-related (Claudio Simonetti, Daemonia):

http://www.synphonic/8m.com http://www.lasercd.com http://www.cduniverse.com http://www.footlight.com

YesGoblin View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 12:23
Goblin is not very well known because they tended to do soundtrack music but they are one the best  prog bands to come from Italy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 12:25
Originally posted by YesGoblin YesGoblin wrote:

Goblin is not very well known because they tended to do soundtrack music but they are one the best  prog bands to come from Italy

you've got your sh*t togetther for a forum newbie.... most of the time they just create new threads instead of using the search function.

here.. have some clappies.. I have a few laying around ..

ClapClap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>