Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedvolcano! - Paperwork (2008 (review))

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: volcano! - Paperwork (2008 (review))
    Posted: July 25 2008 at 01:01
Listen to "Africa Just Wants to Have Fun" here...

In 2005, Volcano! released their first album Beautiful Seizure, which was a major breakthrough for them garnering them a lot of success and much praise (by the likes of Drowned in Sound). At that point and still now, no bands are comparable to this miracle of music. They introduced themselves with heaps of unsettling noise, raw and ragged guitar, raucous bass, complex rhythms "that change times and volume", and lovely vocals singing surprisingly human (crude and realistic, exquisitely unglorified) lyrics. They produced one of the most breathtaking releases in the current generation with hair-raising songs such as Easy Does It and Red and White Bells. They seamlessly united math, pop, noise, and free-jazz influences into one cohesive, downtrodden album.

Three years later, after a hiatus, their new album is set to be released. In all truthfulness, Paperwork is a natural progression from Beautiful Seizure. But progression means change has occurred, and these changes are certainly noticeable. Collectively, every single member of Volcano! has stepped up his skills, but besides that obvious skill-based change, what else? Well... electronics play a much larger roll structurally rather than simply for atmosphere as was exemplified in Beautiful Seizure. Oftentimes, grainy electronics coincide with convoluted beats providing bombastic punches at the listener--lovely punches, albeit. And they're often dancable--yes, a new element to Volcano!'s repertoire is the sheer danciness of the record, but it fits well considering how lighthearted the atmosphere is this time around. These also reflect upon the lyrics, which are often filled with satire (not angst), for example, Africa Just Wants To Have Fun (which should be on their myspace soon enough) featuring "razor-sharp satire of certain rock stars who purport to save the world with dubious, self-serving rhetoric" (hint hint, Bono from U2), playful sexuality, or the realities of work-life mixed with Spanish linguistics. And with that, Paperwork begs to be played at full volume and alone (so to save yourself the embarrassment of accidentally jumping around the room under others' scrutiny) for its intensity and roaring energy go full force, with each song filled to the brim with volume and density.

This album is wreathed with memorable songs all about, including the rhythmic (with a lovely 10/4 chorus) and melodic Africa Just Wants to Have Fun, Fairy Tale, which is probably Volcano!'s most schizophrenic song ever, 78 Oil Crisis unbounded by freak folk tendencies, Astronomers Ballad possibly being my favorite Volcano! song, which starts out slowly romantic and then transfigures itself into a handsome monster... hold on, two more favorites!, Palimsests, the band's crowning achievement in slow song progression, and then Kitchen Dance which gave me shivers when the melody from the first song on the album was repeated again slowly, and at the end of which a resounding and uplifting crescendo alleviates and then calms itself down again into a puddle of one last lovely melody... kitche-kitche-kitche-kitchen danc(ccccccccccccccccc)e.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for anyone looking for something fun and innovative.

Edited by mecca - July 25 2008 at 01:12
Logan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2008 at 17:01
I'm listening to "Girls Africa Just Wants to Have Fun" -- it is fun!  Will share opinions about and impressions of this band's music later.
mecca View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2008 at 22:08
bump...

You can listen to Africa Just Wants to Have Fun on the band's myspace now: www.myspace.com/volcanoisaband

...also, a video! of the band disturbing the midnight in foreign countries!: http://youtube.com/watch?v=vglQTKqBP3c

Edited by mecca - July 26 2008 at 22:11
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2008 at 16:47
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I'm listening to "Girls Africa Just Wants to Have Fun" -- it is fun!  Will share opinions about and impressions of this band's music later.

And?
Logan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2008 at 17:34
What do you think, Bartlomiej?  At the time I was left unsure, and having myspace problems, that I didn't having anything of value to say.  Plus I was extremely active with this forum at that time so let this slip --> http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=1&PN=18 Excuses, excuses. ;) Of course one should never say someone will do something without doing it, and your interest is appreciated.

Listening again, and it's quite punk (on the experimental punk side of things). I should have asked Mecca at the time where he saw it.  It would be art rock, or related.  Crossover?   I could mention this to Xover, but would love to get your opinion first.  Thanks.
EDIT: I'll mention it to them before you post your opinion since this is long overdue.  Lot of suggestions at the time, so lack of opinions in this thread at the time.

Edited by Logan - December 11 2008 at 17:40
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2008 at 18:06
Well, I thought it sounded a kind of avant/RIO to my ears and I posted this in the Avant/RIO Team's thread... in August. I reminded it not long ago 'cos it wasn't evaluated. And reminded it today once more 'cos it still isn't evaluated by them.
Logan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2008 at 18:19
Thanks.  There is an avant relation (bands like The Residents etc.), and it does have experimental qualities, but I wouldn't think it well suited to Avant.... But I was really unsure with this one.  I've mentioned it to Crossover, whether they would be okay with it or not, I have found them a most excellent team to get the opinions of when it comes to ones that I feel unsure about.
micky View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2008 at 12:11
checking it out thanks for the heads up Greg.
Logan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2008 at 12:15
Thanks, Micky.  I'm unsure on this -- it has math rock/ post punk qualities (and I partially thought of your team because you evaluated The Stranglers).
micky View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2008 at 12:16
loving it so far.. that first track is delicious...
Logan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2008 at 12:33
Yeah it is; fantastic track. :)
micky View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2008 at 12:41
that it was...watching that youtube video now (interesting LOL)...  a bit on the freaky side of Xover..  but I agree.. don't think it fits Avant and it is probably us.. or the PA's sh*tter.. and this band belongs here IMO.  We'll see what the rest of the guys say. 
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 12:57
Finally getting around to this, and yes I don't think this kind of post-punk stuff fits in Avant.
micky View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 19:35
figured as much Pat... Clap  Xover or bust on that one.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic