Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDeimos - Prog Metal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deimos - Prog Metal
    Posted: July 28 2008 at 16:42

Hi Guys, We received a request from the Russian band Deimos to be included on PA.  They released an album in 2004 titled Never Be Awaken.  Here is a link to their MySpace page which includes 4 of the 8 songs included on this album: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=243511494

And here is a link to their website: http://www.deimos-band.com/

A description of their music from their website:    The music of the group can`t be limited by the framework of any definite style. It`s a mixture that incorporates the elements of different musical directions. All of them are forming in a concrete, actual image composition, which finds it`s distinctive sound, as a result. The basis is rock, even hard rock, and further one can search for the echo of doom, death, thrash and so on.

They have released a second album titled Outside Emptiness, but for this project they used the band name Blind Blossom.  They say that the band Blind Blossom exists parallel to Deimos and that the reason of this differentiation was in the great stylistic dispersion in musical material. 

Anyhow, happy listening and thank you once again for your time and efforts.

Scott
burritounit View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 16:47
Thanks Scott I'll add them to our charts. Checking their songs at their myspace and it sounds good.Thumbs%20Up
"I've walked on water, run through fire, can't seem to feel it anymore. It was me, waiting for me..."
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2008 at 13:42
Here is a link to the thread that I created for their "parallel" band Deimos.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2008 at 22:15
They've been cleared for addition. If you'd do their bio the get here faster. I tried writing it but found nothing on them.Unhappy
"I've walked on water, run through fire, can't seem to feel it anymore. It was me, waiting for me..."
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2008 at 23:20
evidently they were formed in 1999--  this is the best I could come up with, taken from
http://www.crucialblastshop.net/search.php?page=0&numOfResults=0

DEIMOS   Never Be Awaken   CD   (Wroth Emitter)  

Russian prog metallers Deimos are obscure enough that they don't even have a listing in the Encyclopedia Metallium, the premier online encyclopedia for heavy metal, and their is little background information to be had on their one and only album Never Be Awaken from 2004. Our pals at Wroth Emitter just turned us on to this weird album, an oddball mix of thrash metal, death metal, doom, jazz fusion, and 70's prog rock and folk music that even after listening to it half a dozen times over the past week, I still can't come up with any bands to really compare this to. Which means that this is actually pretty damn interesting. The disc starts off with the title track, which begins with the sound of chirping birds and sunny woodland sounds, as a sparkling acoustic guitar appears playing a sweet, darkly tinged melody joined by fretless bass and a breathy female singer, very proggy and folky until the tranquil mood is shattered by death metal vocals and heavier metal riffing. The fretless bass adds a very jazzy, Jaco Pastorius-like feel to the song, and this mix of fusiony jazz, 80's prog, and death metal is thoroughly strange sounding. The second song "Guardian" is ripping thrash metal with speedy double bass drumming and choppy, crushing thrash riffage, layered with acoustic guitars and that amazing jazzy fretless bass sound. "Last Light Flashes" is midpaced progressive death metal, with dissonant guitar lines alternating with the chunkier thrash riffing, haunting female singing trading off with the raspy, blackened male grunts, and ends with an extended fusiony solo. The rest of the album is just as odd, with lots of clean guitars and acoustic parts, crushing thrash metal, Gothy male vocals and gutteral death roars, whole passages where the band goes off into jazz fusion territory, bits of deathdoom and bluesy rock, classical guitars, keyboard solos, sweet Maiden-esque dual guitar harmonies, over the top prog rock arrangements, all wrapped around a VERY 80's metal sound and production. Imagine Opeth, Skyclad, Uriah Heep, Wishbone Ash, Jaco and My Dying Bride combined into an epic prog metal powerhouse, but playing really bizarre arrangements and injecting a heavy dose of death metal and black metal. Like all Russian prog metal, Deimos is kind of an acquired taste, but one that fans of really weird and ambitious prog should check out. The album also features some very cool cover art and a thick booklet with lyrics that is laid out like one of those older childrens fairy tale books from the 1970's.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2008 at 09:23

Here is their biography from their website:

*****************************************************************************************************************
DEIMOS biography

The beginning of 1999, winter.
An announcement about searching for musicians for the doom-death project appears in Moscow rock shops . It is signed "Leonid" and contains the telephone number.
Spring-summer.
Different people call and come. The relationship establishes with vocalist Dima and bass player Victor from the old Moscow band ABYSS. Not long before them appears the drummer Sergey, who was learning to play in the Pioneer center club. The attempts to get to the rehearsal base fail, so their meetings are taking place at home partly conversations with vodka, partly musical improvisations.
Autumn-the beginning of winter.
The members of the group stabilize this way: Leonid Gezalyan - guitar, Vladislav Manshin - drums, Aleksander Bulanov - bass. The 14 nth of December the historic rehearsal , which commemorates the beginning of intelligent and single minded Deimos activity, occures at the base near "Tulskaya" metro station.
Winter,2000.
The group is learning some numbers, now in Otradnoye culture center. The rehearsals take place 3 times a week. Feeling the lack of vocalist, Leonid Gezalyan invites an old friend of him Roman Orlov, who writes the words to the first four Deimos` compositions. Meanwhile Vladislav Manshin finds the second guitar player - Marine.
Spring-summer.
April, 25. Deimos are on the stage for the first time ever. The event takes place at the R-club, where the group earns 200 rubles. The vocalist doesn`t enjoy performing on public, so he leaves the group. The bass player and the girl who played the guitar are out of the group too, `cause they are not visiting rehearsals for the whole month. That summer one can hear guys playing at Leonid`s place they are rehearsing there with the new bass player Jury, guitarist Aleksander Glazkov and vocalist Tadeush Senich. The two last were Leonid`s school`n university mates.
The years 2001 - 2002.
The group is staging in Moscow clubs, changing bass players and learning new compositions.
Spring-autumn,2002.
Deimos begins to record their debut album. Firstly the drum parts are recorded at the October`s fortieth anniversary culture club. Commonly during the night the drummer records two compositions, but the process drags on because of the lack of money. It`s financed by the musicians themselves.
The year 2003.
All instruments and vocal are recorded already and the arrangement is made at the "Liga" studio. By the end of the year compositions of the group became accessible for the whole world owing to the fact that the Deimos official Internet site appeared.
Winter,2004.
The musicians are headlong racing to their next album surrounded by new sounds, ideas, thoughts; with the optimism in the eyes and the piercing sincerity of all that are created.

About people

For today Deimos are:
Tadeush Senich - vocal.
Leonid Gezalyan - guitar.
Aleksander Glazkov - guitar.
Sergey Pan'kovsky - bass.
Dmitry Dobrohotov - drums.

About music

The music of the group can`t be limited by the framework of any definite style. It`s a mixture that incorporates the elements of different musical directions. All of them are forming in a concrete, actual image composition, which finds it`s distinctive sound, as a result. The basis is rock, even hard rock, and further one can search for the echo of doom, death, thrash and so on.

************************************************************************************************************
What is the preferred method?  Should we create our own biography from this information?  Or since this is the biography as created by the band, should we get permission from them to reproduce this biography as our biography?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you,

Scott

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2008 at 20:40
It would look more unique and original to the site if we created the bio from this information.Wink

Edited by burritounit - August 21 2008 at 20:41
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 11:32
Alright here is a first stab at a biography.  It'll be a first, so we'll see what I can come up with.

DEIMOS are a progressive metal band from Russia that had its beginnings in 1999.  After five years of playing in numerous clubs working on compositions and going through numerous lineup changes the band released their debut album Never Be Awaken in 2004, with guitarist Leonid Gezalyan being the lone remaining member from the original lineup. 

DEIMOS performs a brand of progressive metal that combines blues rock with jazz fusion mixed with thrash metal and a heavy dose of black metal and death metal.  The singing is done with mostly male death metal growls, but on a couple of songs they serenade us with beautiful and melodic female vocals from guest vocalist A. Norloguyanova.  They have a unique and somewhat bizarre sound that should appeal to fans of ambitious progressive metal.

The current lineup of DEIMOS consists of:

Tadeush Senich - Vocals
Aleksander Glazkov - Guitar
Leonid Gezalyan - Guitar
Sergey Pankovskiy - Bass
Yuriy Egorov - Keyboards
Dmitriy Dobrohotov - Drums

In addition to DEIMOS, the band members also formed a second band in 2007 known as BLIND BLOSSOM which exists as a parallel entity which performs a stylistically different form of music.

Please let me know what you think and feel free to edit accordingly.

Thank you,

Scott

Edited by rushfan4 - August 30 2008 at 13:14
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 12:05
Well it seems nice to me but maybe you can name who the current members are.Wink
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 12:13
I wasn't sure if that was part of the bio, or listed separately.  Should we just add the current members, or should we also include the former members?  From reading the bio on their site, I'm not quite certain who performed on the album.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 12:24
Some bio's never include the members but if you can do so, it would be more informative. Also, I think their current members would be more important, but if you'd like to include past members that would be fine too.

Well, here is some info you might find interesting to add: http://www.metal-archives.com/index.php If that's not them you can do a search on that same page of the band.

Edited by burritounit - August 30 2008 at 12:26
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 12:34
I updated the above post to include the current members as listed on the other site. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 12:38
Seems ok to me. Once you feel like it's complete let me know. I could add them if it's ok with you. And I could put your name under the bio to know it was you who wrote it. That is, if you want.

Thanks,Thumbs%20Up
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 13:18
I gave the available songs from their website another listen and tweaked the biography a bit.  I am not authorized to add bands so if you are OK with the biography, then please add.  It will be a first biography for me, so some day I might look upon this one and laugh, but I have no problem taking the credit (or the blame as it may be) for the biography.

Thank you,

Scott
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 13:23
No problem.Thumbs%20Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 13:31
OK, it's done: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=3931 Feel free to add their discography, if not, I will do so later tonight.I even gave you the credit for the addition.

Thanks for the help and good job.Thumbs%20Up

Edited by burritounit - August 30 2008 at 13:33
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 13:41
OK.  I have added the album Never Be Awaken.

Thank you,

Scott
 Post Reply Post Reply