Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedblind guardian

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: blind guardian
    Posted: July 31 2008 at 04:38
hello just heard the bards song from blind guardian they are brilliant can anyone recommend other tracks or albums in a similar vein ie tolkein fantasy stories etc...
iguana View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2008 at 04:53
go listen to manowar. or nightwish. or rhapsody. or kamelot. or hammerfall. or edguy.
or some vintage helloween. even gamma ray. or primal fear. plenty to enjoy on there.
can't pinpoint tracks though as this (incl. blind guardian) is hardly prog.
or, for that matter, progressive.

for the real deal (endorsed by PA) look no further than vintage genesis or marillion.
but, of course, you knew that already
progressive rock and rural tranquility don't match. true or false?
Jabberwocky View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2008 at 05:07
Check out Demons and Wizards project. It has Guardian's Hansi Kursch on vocals and Jon Schaffer from Iced Earth on guitars. nice music.
The only ****ing way out of here is through the rooftop (c) Dolph Lundgren
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2008 at 05:11
Originally posted by iguana iguana wrote:

go listen to manowar. or nightwish. or rhapsody. or kamelot. or hammerfall. or edguy.
or some vintage helloween. even gamma ray. or primal fear. plenty to enjoy on there.

Just doesn't sound much like Blind Guardian.

can't pinpoint tracks though as this (incl. blind guardian) is hardly prog.
or, for that matter, progressive.

Depends on the song. Of course there are plenty BG songs that aren't progressive ... the band had different phases.

for the real deal (endorsed by PA) look no further than vintage genesis or marillion.
but, of course, you knew that already

I really wish it was that simple ... Wink

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - July 31 2008 at 05:13
crossovert View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2008 at 10:37
Listen to RAGE they are the best German SPEED METAL band as that is what i'd classify Blind Guardian. no where near prog although RAGE's new guitarist Victor has done some proggish stuff in Mind Odyssey and his solo career.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2008 at 11:08
"Speed Metal" is a very fuzzy term ... it was first applied to early Thrash bands of the 80s, then to Power Metal bands later. In any case, I would say that only the early albums of BG could possibly be called Speed Metal ... From Imaginations on their music got more and more complex.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2008 at 11:21
Originally posted by rick gryphon rick gryphon wrote:

hello just heard the bards song from blind guardian they are brilliant can anyone recommend other tracks or albums in a similar vein ie tolkein fantasy stories etc...

Hi Rick,

BG did a full album dedicated to TLOTR; 1998's concept 'Nightfall in Middle-Earth', at times has a slight folk/metal feel to it, in between the bombast...LOL

If you really liked The Bard's Song, then you should check out both 'Somewhere far Beyond' (1992) and 'Imaginations From The Other Side' (1995).

If you like LOTR inspired music, then you've got quite a few to choose from, but Bob Catley's 'Middle Earth' is also thoroughly enjoyable...Wink
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2008 at 11:22
Angry  The comments that some people make on this site really, really irk me.  I get it.  Blind Guardian aren't your cup of tea.  But guess what?  They are here.  http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=3056  They were deemed to be a progressive metal band based on at least some of their albums.  Not even prog related, but an actual full-fledged prog category. 

In answer to the original poster's question, read their biography provided on their PA page (see above link).  I believe that it does describe a couple of their albums as fitting the description of what you might be looking for.

You know how I learned about Blind Guardian?  By reading an article about them in Progression magazine, a Progressive rock journal.  I believe that it was actually in the first magazine that I purchased from them.  If my memory serves me correctly it was included in their "Dark Pages" section and was back-to-back with an article about Symphony X, which was also the first time that I had ever heard of them.  Are either of these bands going to appeal to "pure" prog fans who are stuck in the 70's?  No, probably not.  Will they appeal to fans of progressive metal such as Dream Theater?  Yes, probably.  Neither of these bands are amongst my favorites, but I respect them for who they are and the music that they play.  Is Blind Guardian's entire category progressive?  Hell, no.  They are more of a power metal band, but they do have progressive metal albums within their catalogue, and that is why they are included on this site. 

I can't tell you how sick and tired I am getting about reading people with negative attitudes that tend to bash every band that they do not like. (but I'm going to anyway)  i.e. if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all.  My god people, Genesis, Yes, Rush, Jethro Tull, etc, etc. etc.  All of these bands have released non-prog albums and are probably better known as prog rock bands.  And probably at this point they have all released more non-prog albums then they ever released prog albums, so maybe they should all be removed from prog archives.  Maybe Prog Archives should consist of King Crimson (questionable with their 80's output), Gentle Giant, VDGG, and a whole bunch of obscure bands that released 1 album in the 70's that 100 people ever heard and then disbanded so they never had a chance to go on and do another non-prog album. 

Sorry.  I had to get that off of my chest and it is as much related to other threads as it is to this one.  Rant over.  Continue with your mindless bashing and unkind opinions.

Edited by rushfan4 - July 31 2008 at 11:28
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2008 at 11:33
Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

Hi Rick,

BG did a full album dedicated to TLOTR; 1998's concept 'Nightfall in Middle-Earth', at times has a slight folk/metal feel to it, in between the bombast...LOL

If you really liked The Bard's Song, then you should check out both 'Somewhere far Beyond' (1992) and 'Imaginations From The Other Side' (1995).

If you like LOTR inspired music, then you've got quite a few to choose from, but Bob Catley's 'Middle Earth' is also thoroughly enjoyable...Wink

Thank you for this response Fandango.  It came after I started my rant, but it is the type of response that I would hope to see in regards to the posters original question. Smile

Edited by rushfan4 - July 31 2008 at 11:34
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2008 at 11:47
^^I aim to please, Scott, I aim to please....Big%20smile

of course, if you or Rick would like to click on my MySpace page, it will lead you to the BG video of 'Another Stranger Me'....Wink
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
crossovert View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2008 at 22:23
Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

Hi Rick,

Yeah i was referring to their early days, the same thing can be said for RAGE there last album before carved in stone was really bombastic they evolved as well.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2008 at 05:34
^ you mean this one? I like it - but in terms of progressiveness I think it's still one "level" below Nightfall in Middle-Earth. Let's put it this way: Nightfall is - in my humble opinion - a masterpiece, but it's not the most progressive album ever conceived - in fact I would say that it's just about enough to be included. On the following album they managed to even increase the complexity of the arrangement a bit. That's why they're included in the archives. Rage did very well on Speak of the Dead, but IMHO not enough to be included.
 Post Reply Post Reply