Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedELP vs. Le Orme vs. Egg

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [53.57%]
7 [25.00%]
6 [21.43%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ELP vs. Le Orme vs. Egg
    Posted: August 03 2008 at 19:12
Which one of above mentioned keybord-dominated trios do you prefer?

I suggest to consider :
ELP - only 4 classic studio albums (ELP, Tarkus, Trilogy, Brain Salad Surgery)
Le Orme - from their extensive catalogue only 4 classic prog albums (Collage, Uomo di Pezza, Felona e Sorona, Contrapuntti)
Egg - all 3 albums, of course
Mostly it's impossible to win the fight against stupidity. But always it's necessary to attempt it.
anglagardist View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2008 at 19:15
My opinion is here :

ELP :

band with quite uneven quality IMO, excellent at their best (e.g. Tarkus suite, 2nd part of Karn Evil 9, Take a Pebble without middle interlude), but rather low at their worst. None of their classic albums are without weak spots, sometimes too pompous and bombastic to my taste, sometimes too syrupy. Despite all three members are fantastic musicians, not my favourite band of this poll.

LE ORME :

often cosidered as Italian answer to ELP, they seem to me quite different, in many ways typically "italian". I love their wild, heavy instrumentals or instr. sections, but, unfortunatelly for me, the majority of their songs are short, melodic pieces without real development. I admit melodies are often good, I like voice of A. Tagliapetra, but I lack more "epic proportions" in music of Le Orme. Sometimes I find Le Orme too melodic to my taste, so all in all : Not my favourite band of this poll.

EGG :

my winner of this poll.  IMO every Egg's album contains some filler, mostly in their experimental pieces. But majority of thier material is for me very interesting, dark mix of rock, classical and jazz. Never too bombastic or sweet as ELP, most of the time more complex and adventurous than Le Orme.

I WILL HIGHLY APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENTS ABOUT COMPARING THESE THREE BANDS
Mostly it's impossible to win the fight against stupidity. But always it's necessary to attempt it.
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2008 at 21:07
I've seen ELP beaten by Camel on the PA prog tournament this yearShocked, so i wouldn't be surprised they get beat again here. Nothing against EGG or LE ORME--they're excellent bands, i like them both- but ELP is ELP , one of the giant of prog music, selling 20Million  albums when the 2 other sold 20.000 combined, not meaning they are 10 million times better, but it means quite a few people liked them back then .

I enjoy ''the Polite Force'' but Tarkus is Tarkus , a monster of a suite. The first ELP album gave birth to a lot of new bands eager to follow the path of this groundbreaking recording...and i am not talking about TRILOGY, PICTURES, BSS !!!!
......And i am not even considering ELP part of my favorite bands, but someone has to give them credit and say thanks!

Also I am not even sure if someone creates a new poll here on PA  with ELP versus RICKY MARTIN, our trio would winLOLCry...Martin might pull out an easy victory!
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2008 at 21:12
LE ORME is my favourite of the three here by a wide margin. I do really like ELP's debut(gave it 5 stars),but the rest is hit or miss with me. As much as i love canterbury EGG is one band i never could get into.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2008 at 21:19
Originally posted by sinkadotentree sinkadotentree wrote:

LE ORME is my favourite of the three here by a wide margin. I do really like ELP's debut(gave it 5 stars),but the rest is hit or miss with me. As much as i love canterbury EGG is one band i never could get into.

Same here (ELP debut and Trilogy are superb but I have some difficulty with the rest , even BSS can get on my nerves) Le Orme are superb craftsmen that CONTINUE to create great music TODAY. Plus I always vote the same way sinkadotentree does.Wink Man's got impeccable taste and an adventurous spirit!
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2008 at 21:22
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Same here (ELP debut and Trilogy are superb but I have some difficulty with the rest , even BSS can get on my nerves) Le Orme are superb craftsmen that CONTINUE to create great music TODAY. Plus I always vote the same way sinkadotentree does.Wink Man's got impeccable taste and an adventurous spirit!

Traitor!!!LOLLOLWink
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2008 at 21:39
Never thought I'd vote for anything ELP in a what do you prefer most poll, but they are the least uninteresting of the three IMHO.

EDIT: and their debut really is decent, despite how much I trash everything related to them.

Edited by Pnoom! - August 03 2008 at 21:40
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2008 at 21:54
Originally posted by febus febus wrote:

Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Traitor!!!LOLLOLWink
LOLLOLLOL  I was echoing what he wrote when voting for Hawkwind! Cool  But Choosing between fantastic and superb is a strange thing, anyway! It's not like ELP is mediocre!
But everyone at PA knows that febus is a classy taste guru. ClapClapClap

Ah, the circle of life, "round and round"  we go (quote from Hero and Heroine by the Strawbs , my # 2 alltime prog disc) . What no Genesis-Yes ? Wassss up? LOL
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2008 at 22:09
I'd really like to vote Egg, but I have to be honest and say ELP.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2008 at 22:26

Nice recovery tszirmay LOL. And Pnoom! said ELP's debut was "decent"?Shocked. Must be a full moon tonight or something.Wink

"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2008 at 22:45

Nice recovery tszirmay LOL. And Pnoom! said ELP's debut was "decent"?Shocked. Must be a full moon tonight or something.Wink

Phew! land mines ! Tact and diplomacy courses , I say! Ouch

You see what happens when you "take a pebble" .......and Pnoom! Confused   Decency! Embarrassed
Oh well, nice review of the Phideaux,BTW  I am intrigued
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 01:41
ELP's high points (BSS,Trilogy, Tarkus) beat the other groups hands down.
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 04:15

Yeeeey! finally a poll with Egg's! one of the best canterbury bands and one of my favorite prog bands overall. Approve

Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 15:29

Yeah, or I just have better taste than you
Alberto Muņoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2008 at 17:30
Le Orme and i vote by heart,..

Post Reply Post Reply