Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - LAST Yes/Genesis Poll ever.... The Ultimate battle
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLAST Yes/Genesis Poll ever.... The Ultimate battle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Pick your favorite. Not color, but of these two. And stop making polls
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
45 [46.88%]
51 [53.13%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: LAST Yes/Genesis Poll ever.... The Ultimate battle
    Posted: August 04 2008 at 15:49
Finally, time has come to put these two bands together face to face. So pick you favorite out of these two. of course, I'm quite overrating the strength of my poll, as I'm quite sure more Y/G polls will appear no matter what...LOL

I pick Genesis, my second-favorite band, and probably the greatest ever, with a discography of variation and beauty unsurpassed in prog (IMO), with peaks like "Firth of Fifth" and bottoms like "Illegal Alien" that only a special band could achieve LOL... Really... from Tresspass to Duke, not one bad album, not one. And even their prog records are brilliant pop records IMO.

Vote. Or collapse painfully.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 16:11
I vote for Mandrakeroot.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 16:21
I voted for Genesis, but now I feel like voting for Yes. Someone please make a new poll on this.
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 17:18
peskypesky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 19:01
I voted for Yes but now I want to vote for Genesis. New poll!
Prog fan since 1974.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 20:00
It will be interesting to correlate the results of this poll with earlier Yes vs. Genesis polls to see how attitudes have changed, or not changed.  New posters come; old posters go.  Tastes change over time, but these have always been top-rated bands by a great deal of people here.  I'll just mention a few of the polls that have Yes vs. Genesis (some are song-based, some mention a third band, and in one not listed here, the poll question is about which is harder to get into -- actually, i will include that because some might find the results interesting -- I'd though of both as beginner level prog; maybe cause I started with them, and thought of neither as challenging in any way, though probably harder to get into if you're already into different prog (I grew up with the stuff thanks to my brothers)).

Poll Question: Which do you prefer?
93 [51.96%]
86 [48.04%]

...........................................................................................................

Message%20Icon Yes or Genesis
By Ely78, July 25 2007 at 17:14

Poll Question: Who is your favourite?
59 [55.14%]
48 [44.86%]

..................................................................................................................................

Yes or Genesis
By Tenth Chaffinch, October 31 2006 at 13:49

Poll Question: Which do you prefer, Yes or Genesis?
68 [53.54%]
59 [46.46%]

.........................................................................................................................
Different, since asked not for preference, but for which one one thinks is better OVERALL.

Yes Vs Genesis
By Olympus, October 03 2005 at 03:08

Poll Question: Which is better OVERALL
212 [62.91%]
125 [37.09%]

................................................................................................................
Different question; same groups.

Harder to get into: Yes or Genesis?
By Sasquamo, November 12 2006 at 14:21

Poll Question: Which band did you have more trouble liking?
58 [34.94%]
52 [31.33%]
54 [32.53%]
2 [1.20%]

.......................................................................................................................

And a very fun one by The T himself:

Final confrontation: Genesis vs Yes vs DT
By The T, December 17 2006 at 22:5

Poll Question: Which one do you prefer?
52 [47.27%]
31 [28.18%]
20 [18.18%]
3 [2.73%]
4 [3.64%]

EDIT: missed posting the results of a poll.

Edited by Logan - August 04 2008 at 21:33
Just a fanboy passin' through.
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 20:04
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

It will be interesting to correlate the results of this poll with earlier Yes vs. Genesis polls to see how attitudes have changed, or not changed.  New posters come; old posters go.  Tastes change over time, but these have always been top-rated bands by a great deal of people here.  I'll just mention a few of the polls that have Yes vs. Genesis (some are song-based, some mention a third band, and in one not listed here, the poll question is about which is harder to get into -- actually, i will include that because some might find the results interesting -- I'd though of both as beginner level prog; maybe cause I started with them, and thought of neither as challenging in any way, though probably harder to get into if you're already into different prog (I grew up with the stuff thanks to my brothers)).

Poll Question: Which do you prefer?
Vote Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
< name="votice" value="58384" id="P58384" =""> 93 [51.96%]
< name="votice" value="58385" id="P58385" =""> 86 [48.04%]

...........................................................................................................

Message%20Icon Yes or Genesis
By Ely78, July 25 2007 at 17:14

Poll Question: Who is your favourite?
59 [55.14%]
48 [44.86%]

..................................................................................................................................

Yes or Genesis
By Tenth Chaffinch, October 31 2006 at 13:49

.........................................................................................................................

Yes Vs Genesis
By Olympus, October 03 2005 at 03:08

Poll Question: Which is better OVERALL
212 [62.91%]
125 [37.09%]

................................................................................................................
Different question; same groups.

Harder to get into: Yes or Genesis?
By Sasquamo, November 12 2006 at 14:21

Poll Question: Which band did you have more trouble liking?
58 [34.94%]
52 [31.33%]
54 [32.53%]
2 [1.20%]

.......................................................................................................................

And a very fun one by The T himself:

Final confrontation: Genesis vs Yes vs DT
By The T, December 17 2006 at 22:5

Poll Question: Which one do you prefer?
52 [47.27%]
31 [28.18%]
20 [18.18%]
3 [2.73%]
4 [3.64%]

This is indeed very interesting. Yes tends to have a very slight edge consistently, however, and I don't see this poll being too deviant. What really intrigued me was the last sample where DT was thrown in; it really mixed things up and gave a decent advantage to Genesis. Does this mean more DT fans are Yes fans than DT fans are Genesis fans? Maybe, maybe not.

This also makes me think that I should, with enough time to pass, eventually hold another Ultimate Prog Tournament series (or something similar), probably with some different contenders and different matchups. Wink
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 20:26
Just as an addendum, since you mentioned the possible significance of when DT was thrown into the mix; how it changed.  A bunch of different ones (some listed more for fun, but widen the picture, and some are altogether useless to this):

Message%20Icon Popish Genesis ELP & Yes.. Floyd?
By cacho, February 17 2008 at 13:01

Poll Question: Which one do you prefer or like?
< name="votice" value="57465" id="P57465" =""> 20 [30.30%]
< name="votice" value="57466" id="P57466" =""> 12 [18.18%]
< name="votice" value="57467" id="P57467" =""> 5 [7.58%]
< name="votice" value="57468" id="P57468" =""> 29 [43.94%]

.......................................................................................................................................

GG, Yes, and Genesis...
By MovingPictures07, February 24 2008 at 18:54

Poll Question: Out of these, which is your personal favorite?
< name="votice" value="57679" id="P57679" =""> 14 [30.43%]
< name="votice" value="57680" id="P57680" =""> 12 [26.09%]
< name="votice" value="57681" id="P57681" =""> 20 [43.48%]

.....................................................................................................................................

Message%20Icon Floyd,Yes,Genesis,Gentle Giant,King Crimson, etc
By cacho, February 13 2008 at 17:19

Poll Question: Which do you think is the most creative name and why?
15 [28.85%]
5 [9.62%]
5 [9.62%]
4 [7.69%]
0 [0.00%]
9 [17.31%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.85%]
2 [3.85%]
5 [9.62%]
5 [9.62%]

.............................................................................................................................

Multiple%20Pages

Poll Question: Which one do you like the most?
67 [58.26%]
48 [41.74%]

Message%20Icon GENESIS Vs YES Vs PFM
By Mandrakeroot, November 19 2006 at 10:30

Poll Question: Which of this three band preferred?
37 [40.22%]
39 [42.39%]
16 [17.39%]

Essential Yes and Genesis
By UtUmNo1, November 18 2006 at 09:21

Is my list of essential albums on the money?
13 [54.17%]
4 [16.67%]
7 [29.17%]

LOL -- neat poll, but very unessential results.

Likewise...

Poll Question: According to you is just to define them so?
10 [37.04%]
17 [62.96%]
 ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poll Question: Wich of these non-prog albums you like the most?
8 [14.81%]
34 [62.96%]
7 [12.96%]
5 [9.26%]
 Yeah, it's quite different again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Genesis,Yes or King Crimson???
By Kord, June 05 2006 at 11:39

King Crimson! Duh! (since Magma is not an option).  But the mighty Crimson, acclaimed winner of the Ultimate Prog band poll loses.

Poll Question: Choose the best
25 [31.25%]
35 [43.75%]
20 [25.00%]

ah, no nice poll chart for this poll (have to manually tabulate)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

genesis, yes or Elp
By paradigm, January 17 2006 at 14:05

no poll again

Yes vs Genesis vPink Floyd?
By BilboBaggins, February 26 2005 at 07:55

Poll Question: Who offers you more by way of a pleasurable listening experience?
70 [38.04%]
68 [36.96%]
46 [25.00%]

Just a fanboy passin' through.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 20:31
I've voted Yes in the last polls, and in that time I didn't apreciate Genesis as I do now. Now Genesis are one of my faves, I got all their Prog era albums.

This question has been done lately on my house, to my father, brother and me. My brother went with Yes, my dad with both(lol), and I really needed to think about it.

Yes has Fragile, CTTE, The Yes Album, Yes, Time and a Word, Tales, Relayer and Drama.

Genesis has Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, SEBTP, TLLDOB, W&W, We Can't Dance and Duke.

Both have the same amount of albums that I really like from them.

Though I have decided to go with Genesis, this time. Supper's Ready beats almost any Yes epic, exception would be The Revealing Science of God.
JesusisLord View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2008 at 00:59
I voted for the apples, but admittedly so, I do like the oranges also......
And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father. Phillipians 2:11
fusionfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2008 at 04:52
Yes(till Going for the one)but Genesis(1969/1977)also belongs to my prog bands TOP 5.It's like asking
me to make a choice between Mahavishnu Orchestra and SBB!
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2008 at 05:04
the ultimate battle? pffffff... 

isn't this like approaching Rocky levels of absurdity....  what is this ...like the Rocky V of PA's polls....

*fast forwards to the climax*

when Rocky (Yes) KO's the ugly beat-up challenger (Genesis) with a Rickenbacker to the jaw...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2008 at 05:17
Well, trying to act like this hasn't been done a hundred times till now:

I'm more of a VdGG and King Crimson kind of guy, but Genesis are definitely in my top 5. Yes, on the other hand, never made it that high. I've made some Yes-Genesis comparisons in my life, especially because both bands oriented towards pop in the 80s. While I'm half-as-satisfied about Genesis's pop as The T sounds pleased, I'm instead hurt by 80% of Yes pop that's been done, it's, in other words, a way more miserable experience.

As for the classic, ever-important best stuff, you know me about CTTE. Wink On the other hand, Fragile, Relayer and, yes!, Going For The One are the great Yes albums. In Genesis, however, I mostly love everything from Trespass to Wing & Wuthering, extending to a good Duke that, this time, isn't comparable with Drama or such from Yes, but more with Nude by Camel (as strength and one-more-breath of good in-styled prog).

Peter Gabriel is my second favourite prog vocalist in the Universe, next to Peter Hammill, so it's really no contest with Jon Anderson, who is still behind two more Andersons (Ian & Laurie), Barrett/Gilmour, G. Lee. the 2 Marillions...it's just no contest.

Both bands' symphonic prog sound is immense, I can't be a fool not to credit both, and while Yes's ingenuity and clear-throughness is brilliant, Genesis's artistry wins again,  even if not by that much of a great distance this time, for me. If I were to transpose into the 70s (my only regret being that I haven't lived together with the prog rock movement), I think both bands, along with the rest of the giants, would have been an oasis of euphoria each time they would have come with something new, but, nevertheless, knowing myself, I would have still probably liked Genesis more.

Yes wins with the covers, wins with Bill Bruford as a complete musician over Phil Collins and perhaps, yes indeed, with Rick Wakeman as keyboardist, as, right now, I'm not picturing myself as that much of a Banks fan. Between Hackett and Howe there's most of the times a tie (until Howe sings. LOL).

As soloists, Anderson has done nothing but to fool around with music after some strong first two or three albums: cheerful, meditative or just dance/song moods. Gabriel, on the other hand, is again my second favourite musicians, as soloist, after yet again that same Hammill. No contest here.

Rick Wakeman's been credited as symphonic prog for his 70s work, more precisely for about 4-5 albums, in rest there are over 100 which are new-age or worse. Nothing much to say about this. But I hear Banks is quite a dubious artist, when solo, himself. So it's probably again that I prefer Wakeman more.

Hackett has a great, complex, pleasant solo carrier. Howe's a bit more "discovered" (an expression I use for fragile in my piano study, nevermind...), his first albums being insignificant and from his 90s stuff having good moments.

About Phil Collins - Bill Bruford, I've already said. Bruford is a thousand times more complete musician, he gets my credit fully.

Uhm...anything I haven't analysed?

If this is enough, then I'll recap my verdict: Genesis wins my heart, Yes is essentially super fine, but not at all the super fine band.

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2008 at 05:20
Yes...by a fraction...
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2008 at 05:33
YES
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2008 at 07:45
Confused Help!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2008 at 09:27
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

I'm more of a VdGG and King Crimson kind of guy, but Genesis are definitely in my top 5. Yes, on the other hand, never made it that high. I've made some Yes-Genesis comparisons in my life, especially because both bands oriented towards pop in the 80s. While I'm half-as-satisfied about Genesis's pop as The T sounds pleased, I'm instead hurt by 80% of Yes pop that's been done, it's, in other words, a way more miserable experience.

As for the classic, ever-important best stuff, you know me about CTTE. Wink On the other hand, Fragile, Relayer and, yes!, Going For The One are the great Yes albums. In Genesis, however, I mostly love everything from Trespass to Wing & Wuthering, extending to a good Duke that, this time, isn't comparable with Drama or such from Yes, but more with Nude by Camel (as strength and one-more-breath of good in-styled prog).

Peter Gabriel is my second favourite prog vocalist in the Universe, next to Peter Hammill, so it's really no contest with Jon Anderson, who is still behind two more Andersons (Ian & Laurie), Barrett/Gilmour, G. Lee. the 2 Marillions...it's just no contest.

Both bands' symphonic prog sound is immense, I can't be a fool not to credit both, and while Yes's ingenuity and clear-throughness is brilliant, Genesis's artistry wins again,  even if not by that much of a great distance this time, for me. If I were to transpose into the 70s (my only regret being that I haven't lived together with the prog rock movement), I think both bands, along with the rest of the giants, would have been an oasis of euphoria each time they would have come with something new, but, nevertheless, knowing myself, I would have still probably liked Genesis more.

Yes wins with the covers, wins with Bill Bruford as a complete musician over Phil Collins and perhaps, yes indeed, with Rick Wakeman as keyboardist, as, right now, I'm not picturing myself as that much of a Banks fan. Between Hackett and Howe there's most of the times a tie (until Howe sings. LOL).

As soloists, Anderson has done nothing but to fool around with music after some strong first two or three albums: cheerful, meditative or just dance/song moods. Gabriel, on the other hand, is again my second favourite musicians, as soloist, after yet again that same Hammill. No contest here.

Rick Wakeman's been credited as symphonic prog for his 70s work, more precisely for about 4-5 albums, in rest there are over 100 which are new-age or worse. Nothing much to say about this. But I hear Banks is quite a dubious artist, when solo, himself. So it's probably again that I prefer Wakeman more.

Hackett has a great, complex, pleasant solo carrier. Howe's a bit more "discovered" (an expression I use for fragile in my piano study, nevermind...), his first albums being insignificant and from his 90s stuff having good moments.

About Phil Collins - Bill Bruford, I've already said. Bruford is a thousand times more complete musician, he gets my credit fully.

If this is enough, then I'll recap my verdict:

whoops....  your verdict sort of got mangled there LOL .... but from what I read... you deserve some clappies. It isn't easy  to make a 5 course meal from decomposed road kill ClapClap

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2008 at 09:58
When I started to explore prog a few years ago, I made a decision to skip Yes & Genesis.  Since then I have acquired one song by each, on compilations, and one Genesis album (Lamb, for a quid).  I watched clips of both on youtube of course.  From what little I know of their output I'd have to go with Genesis (I've also heard a couple more of their albums, years and years ago - never heard any Yes albums in my life.)

But really, Pink Floyd are far better Wink
rotten hound of the burnie crew
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2008 at 10:07
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

never heard any Yes albums in my life

But really, Pink Floyd are far better Wink

LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwyrGwM4a7M

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2008 at 11:04
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

If this is enough, then I'll recap my verdict:

whoops....  your verdict sort of got mangled there LOL .... but from what I read... you deserve some clappies. It isn't easy  to make a 5 course meal from decomposed road kill ClapClap

LOL @verdict

thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>