Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrian Eno Poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Who did Brian Eno once call the future of music.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [3.23%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.23%]
3 [9.68%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.23%]
3 [9.68%]
1 [3.23%]
0 [0.00%]
11 [35.48%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.23%]
4 [12.90%]
1 [3.23%]
1 [3.23%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [6.45%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.23%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2008 at 04:59

Originally posted by Wikimadeupia Wikimadeupia wrote:

According to David Bowie, then in the middle of his own groundbreaking 'Berlin Trilogy', its impact on the genre's direction was recognized early on:

“ One day in Berlin ... Eno came running in and said, 'I have heard the sound of the future.' … he puts on 'I Feel Love', by Donna Summer … He said, 'This is it, look no further. This single is going to change the sound of club music for the next fifteen years.' Which was more or less right."

Donna Summer was the proggiest of the Disco divas having made a couple of concept albums and recorded a 8 minute version of Jimmy Webb's MacArthur Park

What?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2008 at 05:16
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Wikimadeupia Wikimadeupia wrote:

According to David Bowie, then in the middle of his own groundbreaking 'Berlin Trilogy', its impact on the genre's direction was recognized early on:

“ One day in Berlin ... Eno came running in and said, 'I have heard the sound of the future.' … he puts on 'I Feel Love', by Donna Summer … He said, 'This is it, look no further. This single is going to change the sound of club music for the next fifteen years.' Which was more or less right."

Donna Summer was the proggiest of the Disco divas having made a couple of concept albums and recorded a 8 minute version of Jimmy Webb's MacArthur Park

sounds like one for the Xover team LOLThumbs%20Up
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2008 at 08:19
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

4th prize - Micky for thinking I might have an ulterior motive with this poll (takes one to know one) ha ha ...

hahhaha ... thanks Embarrassed. .and as always.. there was an ulterior motive ..in suggesting in a humourous way that you had an ulterior motive. LOLWink
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2008 at 08:19

I've always enjoyed that Eno story because the first time I heard the song in question it hit me the same way. I was in a friend's car, and he was playing his dashboard am radio. At the time we were living in a one dead horse town in East Texas and the am radio usually played music by The Bellamy Brothers, Freddy Fender and BJ Thomas, all of a sudden this song comes on that sounded like it could have been from Mars. Many years later I found out that Eno had a similar ephinac experience while listening to this same song ... the rest of the story when I return.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2008 at 08:20

Now that ambient electronic music, techno and techno-related music are more and more becoming the norm for background music (especially in large urban areas) it is probably really hard to understand just how weird Summer and Moroder's first hit sounded. It definitley got your attention if you were living in semi-rural USA. At that time it was hard to believe that a song like that could become a top 40 hit all across the states.
Now you know the rest of the story.

1st prize - Dean, and bonus points for his hilarious image of an overly stimulated and giddy Eno drunk at a cocktail party and gushing at every other song that comes on the stereo and saying 'Hear that, thas the future of music'.

2nd Prize - Anderson III for knowing that Miles' ambient proto-trip hop masterpiece "He Loved Him Madly" was a big influence on Eno.

3rd prize - Stonebeard for knowing Roger Eno's middle name.

4th prize - Micky for thinking I might have an ulterior motive with this poll (takes one to know one) ha ha ... yeah, Eno said the JH Experience was the future of music, unfortunately it was 2002 when he said it, probably drunk again.

Bands left out:

All the bands mentioned presented major stylistic and 'futuristic' influences within their respective genres, but in retrospect I could have included Kraftwerk ... Duh!    Run DMC, Public Enemy, Stereolab, Aphex Twin etc etc.

If I didn't already know the qoute, I would have guessed Devo, unless Kraftwerk would have been included.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2008 at 08:25

yeah, Eno said the JH Experience was the future of music, unfortunately it was 2002 when he said it, probably drunk again.

ShockedLOL

well, a fun poll after all. Clap
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2008 at 19:10
Now that I think about it not that surprising.  Those sequenced synths would have drawn him to I Feel Love like a fly to sh*t.  Same thing happened to me, and I hated disco.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2008 at 19:31
Brian Eno was always going on about the future of music.  I've read that he said something similar when he heard a My Bloody Valentine album (haven't read through the whole thread, so this may have been raised already).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2008 at 07:27
Q. Are we not  men?
A. We are Eno!
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2008 at 20:20
Well this is what I want to know , What's the future of music today, Brian Jean-Baptiste de la Salle Eno? LOL
Will someone please ring the barman!
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123