Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNewby here with a question: Ephel Duath

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newby here with a question: Ephel Duath
    Posted: August 07 2008 at 21:50
OK, first please let me present my self.

Been lurkin here for the past 3 years and have hear & discovered so much godd ##$/##"##$%%/$!"/$% music.

A gazillion tks to the creators of this place.

OK, Ephel Duath. Namely the Painters pallette & Pains necessary tp know

I was never a big fan of heavy dark metal. But this band Thumbs%20Up wow......

What I love:

- The level of fusion they bring: namely jazz / metal
- The amazing complexity of each song, they will litterally take you places within one song you would NOT expect
- The knitting process accomplished to make each song work is simply amazing
- The execution is impressive & more than respectable !!!!

In all, they made me able to jump to anither level with Prog from where I was before.......I.E. I am now OK with a screaming singer as an instrument and in that genre, it fits in LOL remarquably well.

I still cannot listen to some metal....but with their style, it is simply perfect.

So my question. What is out there close this this genre ? What the metal guys call Left Field Metal.

More complex the sauce, the better

Tks in advance

P.S. read on thier blog, they have a new one OTW

Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2008 at 22:48

OK, well here are some highly complex metal bands that fuse genres and all that stuff you seem to like about Ephel Duath:

-Between the Buried and Me: as I see them, the most exciting band out there these days; they are just unbelievable. Check out their album Colors. It's pretty darn heavy, but they manage to work in spacey sections, jazzy sections, and even a polka and bluegrass section among some of the most perfectly written and executed music I've ever heard. The album preceding Colors, Alaska,  is also very good, and it's worth checking out as well. The experimentation is put in seprate tracks on Alaska, where as on Colors, they turn all of their elements into huge, varied epics of sorts.

-The Dillinger Escape Plan: a bit noisy, for which they get a lot of crap on this site, but I don't think Ephel Duath is any less loud/obnoxious than these guys. They have a metal/hardcore background, but they like to create complex jazz-infused, polyrhythm-ridden spasms of songs which are often short, but involve many different parts. They also throw in some electronic/sonic experimentation, some grungy Faith No More influenced songs and even a lounge-jazz type piece. Check out their most recent album Ire Works.

-Unexpect: This band does what Ephel Duath does with jazz with classical music. It is very chaotic, very complex, very bizarre, and very interesting. Check out In a Flesh Aquarium.

www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Plankowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2008 at 00:35
try, Yakuza's "Samsara"
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2008 at 02:14
I know several artists that I would classify along the lines of Ephel Duath. 

Atheist,
Behold the Arctopus,
Buzzard (album 'Churp'),
Cosmosquad,
Counter-World Experience,
Cynic,
Dysrythmia,
Friendly Bears,
Necrophagist,
Sabbat,
Sadist,
Skeptic Sense.

Let us know what you think?

Edited by npjnpj - August 08 2008 at 04:30
Zinc22 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2008 at 07:22
Tks guys Smile

Will do, may I ask one small favor ?

I have briefly looked at these guys discogaraphy and for some it is quite large.

Mind me asking what are the fist off the bat reccomended albums in their line up ?

Tks again. this is EXACTLY the info I was looking for & I am sure I will not be dissapointed
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2008 at 08:04

OK, let's see now:

Atheist - Unquestionable Presence

Behold the Arctopus - Nano-Nucleonic Cyborg Summoning

Buzzard - Churp (they only made this one, as far as I know)

Cosmosquad - Squadrophenia (also their only one, I think)

Counter-World Experience - Leaving Lotus

Cynic - Focus (their only album)

Dysrythmia - No Interference

Friendly Bears - On Oceans, Light, And Sleep (also only one)

Necrophagist - Onset Of Putrefaction

Sabbat - Mourning Has Broken

Sadist - Lego

Skeptic Sense - Presence of Mind (not sure how many they made)

Others would probably disagree.

As a tip: I would probably start with Dysrythmia, Behold the Arctopus and Necrophagist, there are some overlaps in the line-ups.

Good luck!   Smile
tokenrove View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2008 at 12:32
There's no one else really quite like Ephel Duath (I'm a big fan, too), but you might enjoy Spiral Architect and Panzerballet as bands with a big fusion influence.

As for the other recommendations, I have to disagree with some of the albums to start with... if you're coming from the fusion side, I think Atheist's Elements is a better intro, and Necrophagist's Epitaph is a better album than Onset IMHO. Cynic and Behold the Arctopus are definitely other bands I second the recommendation on.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2008 at 08:58
I'll second the recomendation for Unexpects In a Flesh Aquerium (wouldnt know where to find their debut, Utopia, or if its even in the same style). I'll also add Mastodon's Blood Mountain.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2008 at 03:43
tokenrove is probably right. I'm not really too familiar with this genre as a whole.
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2008 at 19:57

^Yea, Epitaph is way better than Onset, but really Necrophagist isn't anything like Ephel Duath. The former is simply a really talented, speedy death metal band, while the latter is a band that fuses death metal with jazz and stuff. It's often that kind of experimentation that sets bands above others and seperates talent from genius.

Truthfully, a lot of the bands from npjnpj's list don't have that kind of experimentation, and some of them really just don't have lasting power. What I love about the 3 bands that I mentioned is that, besides the high level of sophistication, experimentation, production quality, etc. is that the compositions all seem like they're driven by people with souls. Unexpect doesn't often show emotion, but it is in there in spots and often subdued. Bands like Atheist and Necrophagist seem lifeless and hardly memorable to me. But I'll leave it up to you to decide what you think of all of these bands.

Regarding Mastodon, Blood Mountain definitely grabs you right away, but in the long run I think Leviathan has more lasting power.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 12:23
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

I'll second the recomendation for Unexpects In a Flesh Aquerium (wouldnt know where to find their debut, Utopia, or if its even in the same style). I'll also add Mastodon's Blood Mountain.

It´s no where enar as crazy or as good as In a flesh... it´s almost power metal like Ermm
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
 Post Reply Post Reply