Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat is Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is Prog?
    Posted: April 08 2004 at 17:03

*Hope I didn't miss this in a different thread!*

I'd like to spin off a discussion which I hope will be very interesting, as we are all members of this forum because of a common interest; passion for Progressive music. I hesitate to use the term Progressive Rock, as many of the bands we love play jazz, folk or classical derivatives, and some don't even bother "Rocking it up".

I think the best way to play it is to see what comments come in, and then I'll respond - because (obviously!) I have my own opinions - but I am more interested in what other members think.

So; What Is Prog? What defines a piece of progressive music that sets it apart from a piece that isn't progressive? Does it have to have cool riffs? Great vocals? Instrumental pyrotechnics? Does it have to be intellectually challenging? Is Sergeant Pepper prog?

ENJOY 

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2004 at 17:18

I don't think it's possible to define 'prog' exactly but most of us know what prog means and can point to the albums in their collection that have shaped it and made it recognisable.For the sake of this I would just take one:

Yes - Close To The Edge

It's definetly brilliant music played by highly trained and knowledgable musicians.''No nonsense,headbanging mindless boogie'' it aint !!! 

Edited by richardh
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2004 at 17:31
Looking at the genre "In General" terms, we see odd meters, virtuouso musicanship (hopefully), melding of genre's ie; classical, church music, folk, jazz, rock and ethnic, shifting rhythms, themes, point-counterpoint, multi level song structure(maani, help) meaning one song can have many movements or ideas, not just verse,-chorus-bridge-chorus. Prog usually is not "simple," it's complex. Even simple songs like Lucky Man, get a "treatment." Additional synths and such to spice it up.   
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2004 at 06:18
Prog is ... prog. That's surely the best definition !
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
dude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2004 at 07:20
i thought we pretty well settled this one,there is a pretty good definition accessible from the home page
philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2004 at 08:17

Originally posted by dude dude wrote:

i thought we pretty well settled this one,there is a pretty good definition accessible from the home page

True!...I could put mine but I don't want controverses

Marcelo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2004 at 11:57
Like slogan of one of the few local prog radio shows says, it is "The music what everybody would love... if could listen to".
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2004 at 18:51

I don't think it's clear enough. I think it's a great attempt - and very brave, considering how difficult it is to define prog - witness this thread (which is floundering in the water!) and the various debates within other threads.

The definition page starts out with a short, fuzzy definition and then proceeds to describe sub-genres of prog, with some sub genres crossing over into other sub-genres, at almost equally fuzzy levels.

I know it's a very difficult thing to define - but a fantastic site like this should be able to manage - even if it takes hundreds of attempts! And the best way to come up with a really good definition is to start here - among the members; self-confessed prog addicts with a rabid attention to detail unless I'm much mistaken?

PROGRESSIVE ROCK — a style that combines rock, classical, psychedelic and literary elements — was born in the late '60s with art-rock bands like Pink Floyd and King Crimson, whose albums typically featured 7 to 10 minutes songs with shifting time signatures and evolving musical themes

Doesn't prog also include Jazz? Funk? Metal? What kins of literary elements - exclusively Science Fiction? How about Musical excellence? Isn't that also an ingredient?

Were King Crimson originally an "Art-Rock" band? What is Art-Rock?

Does this mean that to be prog, a song has to be long? Is prog only about songs? Do the time signatures have to shift and do the themes have to evolve? Is that all that has to happen?

Hopefully you see what I mean and understand why I asked the question - I'm really not trying to rubbish someone's excellent attempts at distilling what prog is, just trying to improve on it.

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2004 at 23:12

Dealt with ad infinitum in the early days of the Forum, with (of course) no universally-accepted definition. An impossible task: "Let's all agree on the art that we've each come to cherish in different ways, and at different times/places, over the course of unique lives. Weeeee!"

Another exercise in chasing your own tail! Stern Smile

Still, if never-ending, nitpicking arguments with strangers half your age is your thing, then enjoy !

But I'm "all funned out." I'm taking a breather.

WinkOr, I'll just sit here on the sidelines, watching you attack that which others hold dear, and make disparaging, sarcastic and superior commments like this:

Gentlmen, start your egos!

Edited by Peter Rideout
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
dude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2004 at 23:35
Im with you Peter, i will just step back and let the Younguns duke it out!!
corbet View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2004 at 02:34
I love Peter's "I'm sick and tired, and I won't take it anymore!" tear across the forum just recently...  must have run out of milk for his cereal this morning...
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2004 at 07:59
Originally posted by Peter Rideout Peter Rideout wrote:

Dealt with ad infinitum in the early days of the Forum, with (of course) no universally-accepted definition. An impossible task: "Let's all agree on the art that we've each come to cherish in different ways, and at different times/places, over the course of unique lives. Weeeee!"

I've only just joined - I had a look through earlier posts to try to avoid toe-stepping, but couldn't read 'em all . The impossible I do. Miracles you'll have to hang on in there for.

Another exercise in chasing your own tail! Stern Smile

I think that establishing a clear, fundamental definition is quite a useful excercise - something that clarifies what prog is about. Agreed, it can only ever be vague, like any other "category" - but I have questions like anyone else that still has an interest! Otherwise, people who don't know might end up thinking that Mariah Carey is prog

Still, if never-ending, nitpicking arguments with strangers half your age is your thing, then enjoy !

OK - Thanks Dad! I'll stay away from the 10-year olds

But I'm "all funned out." I'm taking a breather.

WinkOr, I'll just sit here on the sidelines, watching you attack that which others hold dear, and make disparaging, sarcastic and superior commments like this:

Gentlmen, start your egos!

Attack?

No.

Challenge.

Yes.

I do not think I am superior to ANYONE on this forum - I've only just joined and don't know anyone. As you correctly say, we each have our own distinctive viewpoints and appreciate fine music in our own ways.

I like to think that I am not sarcastic or disparaging - if you think I am, then tell me what I said that is sarcastic or disparaging. I am aware that I have some very serviceable size 12s that often get put "in it", but I will only apologise for upsetting people, not for being who I am.

Live Long and Prosper

progchain View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2004 at 08:45
Prog means to be over & beyond time, space, masses & fashion, in every way, not only in music!
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2004 at 10:44

No offense, meant, newcomers! You've a perfect right to debate the nature of progressive rock. It's just that I and others already did so here (exhaustively), and we really got nowhere with it. I was also tired, and yes, grumpy last night.

ErmmAt certain points, however, when we discuss the relative merits of that which we can't help but respond to subjectively, we must agree to disagree.

I'm just a bit tired of arguing, and want to concentrate more on humour, and reviewing.

But share your thoughts -- they could make interesting, thought-provoking reading. And who knows? I might be moved to weigh in on the issue.

Keep proggin'

Peter

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2004 at 13:30

progchain Nice definition - I like it!

Peter Rideout Of course it's all subjective - I take no offense - and hope that I haven't given any! When I joined, I anticipated some long, juicy debate with intellectual people - as prog typically attracts intellectuals. So far, I have not been disappointed.

I hope to develop a sense of humour, given time...

Cert. (OK, my name is Mark, but I prefer wierd and wonderful handles on the 'net - don't ask why, I just do).

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2004 at 02:20

Well here's my definition of Prog.

Progressive generally means to change. That's basically what Progressive is supposed to be about, the evolution of rock music. And from the 70s, bands like Yes were called progressive, becasue unlike other bands then, they were being revolutionary by experimenting with sound on the keyboard.

Progressive rock in some ways isn't really "ROCK" if you know what I mean. It doesn't really get you into the tough mood. It's majestic, climactic, and emotional at times. Progressive sort of defines rock as an artform. A platform in which you can express moods and feelings in music much better than your conventional riffs.

Most definetly progressive rock is about experimentalism, and evolving rock and allowing it to change and grow even if people don't notice it in the mainstream. It's a stable platform for true musicianship in rock, when rock can't be taken more seriously than simplistic hard rocking melodies for teenagers (punk and some metal)

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2004 at 06:12
Originally posted by Fantom JSK Fantom JSK wrote:

Well here's my definition of Prog.

Progressive generally means to change. That's basically what Progressive is supposed to be about, the evolution of rock music. And from the 70s, bands like Yes were called progressive, becasue unlike other bands then, they were being revolutionary by experimenting with sound on the keyboard.

Progressive rock in some ways isn't really "ROCK" if you know what I mean. It doesn't really get you into the tough mood. It's majestic, climactic, and emotional at times. Progressive sort of defines rock as an artform. A platform in which you can express moods and feelings in music much better than your conventional riffs.

Most definetly progressive rock is about experimentalism, and evolving rock and allowing it to change and grow even if people don't notice it in the mainstream. It's a stable platform for true musicianship in rock, when rock can't be taken more seriously than simplistic hard rocking melodies for teenagers (punk and some metal)

OK I'll go with that

Stormcrow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2004 at 14:37

OK, I think I have it.

The problem is that we get hung up on the word "progressive".  There is progressive (small P) rock, in the way that THE BEATLES' music progressed from "Rubber Soul" to "Revolver" through "Sgt. Pepper".  And then there is Progressive (large P) rock, usually refered to as Prog; such as "In The Court Of The Crimson King", "Octopus" and "Tarkus".

Further confusing the problem of defining the genre is the fact that there are so many sub-groups....

"OK, this is Caterbury, that is fusion, over there is symphonic, that's prog-metal on the sofa and that's neo-prog over in the corner."

<SMILIE>

So there must needs be some way to cut through the fog in order to make a definitive answer to "what is Prog?".

Knowing in advance that I'll get flamed, I'll still give it a try.

Rock 'n' roll, even when it progresses, is music that speaks FIRST to the hips.

Progressive rock, whether it actually progresses or not, is music that speaks FIRST to the brain.

Neither are a bad thing.

That's all.  Fire away.

Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2004 at 14:52

I entirely agree with that!

Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2004 at 14:55

Okay, let's look at the word first: Pro-gress-ive. Hhhmmh, maybe it's Prog-res-sive? No, no, it's Progre -ssive. Wait, no, it's Progress - ive. Root word; PROGRESS. Not in political terms, that would be a misnomer. How about a general forward movement, learning as we go, taking something that already exists and building, adding new ideas and properties, and creating something different. Not exactly new, but improved. Revolutionary, like the Porsche to the Edsel. SO, simplistically........

Progressive Music is the melding of different genre's to create a revolutionary art form.   

Nah.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>