FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHawkwind @ Hawkfest 2008

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hawkwind @ Hawkfest 2008
    Posted: August 10 2008 at 06:38
Uninterrupted sunshine at a music festival, lager, smokes, and two Hawkwind shows... that's how I'll remember Hawkfest 2008.

Open only to Hawkwind 'passport' holders and guests, this weekend festival in Devon at the end of July was the 4th such Hawkfest. Huw Lloyd-Langton and then Tim Blake played Friday night, but I missed them.

Saturday: Hawkwind

The broad direction of the setlist would have been familiar to anyone who saw them in 2007 or March 2008:  opening with the Black Corridor narrative - the one that's similar to 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 - and then Aerospaceage Inferno. Mr Dibs (bass) did the narrative and then showed anyone who was still in doubt that Hawkwind can survive the departure of a long-standing member, and still carry on. Yep, there's life after Alan Davey.

Unfortunately for this review, by the time Who's Gonna Win the War was grinding out, the gear and lager had kicked in and the rest of the show passed in a happy haze of mesmerised head-shaking. There's bits on youtube if anyone wants to look - including the finale, Silver Machine.

Sunday: Technicians of Spaceship Hawkwind

A band that includes Dave Brock, Tim Blake and Mr Dibs, and which plays stuff like Brainstorm, Infinity, Valium 10, You'd Better Believe It, and Needle Gun is Hawkwind... and this show really kicked. Especially when one had no idea what was coming next. Meaty and spacey!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x71Tat9LYA - TOSH do You'd Better Believe It

Edited by sonic_assassin - August 10 2008 at 06:41
emdiar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2008 at 13:17
Great memories. I danced my f**kin' legs off for three days solid.
Also, I attended the Robert Calvert memorial gig put on by Nik Turner and friends, in Herne Bay.
Talking of Alan Davey, check out his space rock outfit, Pre-Med. I caught them at the Sonic World Fest this summer and they were the best band in the line-up.

Thanks for the link.

Edited by emdiar - October 17 2008 at 13:17
Perception is truth, ergo opinion is fact.
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2008 at 17:12
I Told myself not click on this thread Cry now that i live in Canada no more Hawkfest for me , if thereis one next year might well go as i am hoping to be back in the Ole country for next summer 
June View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2008 at 15:27
I'm guessing this is a good as thread as any to ask this... Can anyone recommend a good live Hawkwind DVD? Is there actually anything out there?
emdiar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2008 at 13:27

June, I was at the Bob Calvert memorial gig this year, and won a copy of the DVD Hawkwind-Solstice At Stonehenge in a raffle. It was released in 2004 by Cherry Red Films.

This is an excellent start. It's their legendary 1984 Stonehenge set of which men still speak in hushed tones of awe. Somewhere in the crowd am I, seventeen years old, and having the absolute trip of my life.
Saw them last Wednesday at Wolverhampton Civic hall! We're all 24 years older but I still can't get enough.
Perception is truth, ergo opinion is fact.
sonic_assassin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2008 at 18:26
Maybe it's horses for courses, June, but I think the best Hawkwind vid is the one done in Nottingham in 1990, at the (then) Central TV studio.  It musically kicks. And there's a female vocalist on some tracks! 

It's sometimes called "Classic Rock Legends", sometimes "Bedrock" (the name of the series of concerts broadcast on British TV back then) and someimes "Live Legends".

The VHS tape includes the track Wind of Change, whereas the DVD doesn't. So the VHS version had a bonus track?? It's usually the other way around!
 Post Reply Post Reply