Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite guitar solo??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2017 at 17:30
Not sure that it's my favorite, but one that's very usual and get's laughs and odd expressions:

Robert Fripp's solo on "I Advance Masked" (title track)

Sounds like a bumblebee or mouse race or something
Luqueasaur View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luqueasaur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2017 at 15:57
I find really hard to choose only one solo as my favorite. Instead, I opt to share the honorifics with many specimens... inside non-prog metal, I really love Mustaine's solo in the ending of Wake Up Dead; Chris Poland's solo on Blackmail the Universe (from The System Has Failed by Megadeth too) and Hammett's solo on The Four Horsemen.

On non-prog rock, Blackmore's Highway Star and like 20 solos by Brian May. He's freaking brilliant, dude. But if I had to choose one of his, I'd pick Dead on Time and Liar (oh my god, Liar is so amazing). I also love Nuno Bittencourt's Get the Funk Out, It's a Monster and Play With Me. Extreme sucks, but good lord, Bittencourt is amazing. He's like a non-proggy cousin of Petrucci. I have seen a live video where he literally yawns while tapping Play With Me. Like, seriously? I also really, really, REALLY love the solo in Moonage Daydream by Bowie's guitarist and the one in Is This Life by Cardiacs because both are reverb to the core and highly melodic. Another solo that I love with all my heart is the spoof solo in Eat It by Weird Al Yankovich because that solo is simply put amazing.

On prog rock, roughly anything by Lifeson, really. He's one of my favorite lead guitarists and I find REALLY hard to dislike his solos. For me, he's like the Brian May of prog - he's not virtuoso and absurdly technical like say Petrucci but he doesn't need any of this to be legendary. Highlights go to The Weapon (Jesus, that synth-guitar duet sounds so delicious), 2112's late solo, YYZ's Egyptian solo, and The Camera Eye.

On prog metal I'm going for Petrucci's A Fortune in Lies, Surrounded, and In the Name of God. That's one of the most mind blogging shredding I've ever heard, it sounds so damn clear but at the same time to uncomparably difficult. Also, I sort of like the intro solo in Corpsecry Angelfall by Shinichi (Sigh), but it's not one of my favorites.
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HemispheresOfXanadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2017 at 10:28
A few I like:
Devin Townsend - Deep Peace
Snarky Puppy - We Like it Here
Tool - Jambi
Rush - La Villa
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2017 at 00:30
It's a toss-up between :
DAVID GILMOUR - The Fletcher Memorial Home
NICK BARRETT - The Shadow
...........but, of course, there's many solos that move me, but these 2 - boy-oh-boy.........
Arnulf Floyd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arnulf Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2017 at 02:14
Dazed and Confused, Whole Lotta Love, Since I've Been Lovin' You, Black Dog, Stairway to Heaven, When the Levee Break, Kashmir - Led Zeppelin
Echoes, Time, Money, Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Dogs, Comfortable Numb, Hey You, On the Turning Away, High Hopes - Pink Floyd
Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Child in Time, Highway Star, Smoke in the Water - Deep Purple
Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac
Layla - Derek and the Dominos
Dream On, Sweet Emotion, Angel, Love in a Elevator, Cryin', Crazy, Pink  - Aerosmith
Fly by the Night, 2112, Spirit of Radio, Red Barchetta, Limelight - Rush
Runaway, Livin' on a Prayer, Never Say Goodbye, Bed of Roses, Always - Bon Jovi
Paradise City, Sweet Child O' Mine, November Rain, Knockin' on Heaven's Door, Estranged - Guns N' Roses
Yours Is No Disgrace, Starship Trooper, Close to the Edge, Siberian Khatru, Gates of Delirium, Sound Chaser, To Be Over, Awaken, Run through the Light - Yes

Long Live Rock 'n' Roll
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2017 at 05:59
The ending solo from Oldfield's Man on the Rocks, just awesome.

Thanks Mike!
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2018 at 10:19
I'd like to put in a mention for Terje Rypdal's solo over the last eight minutes of "Adagio", from his 1975 album Odyssey. Awe-inspiring! 
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2018 at 10:50
I made a mix tape in the late 70s of my favourite guitar solos at the time. Besides the usual suspects from Zep, Sabbath, Purple, Yes, Floyd, Genesis etc., these three were probably less well known, but remain personal favourites to this day:

Tattoo'd Lady - Rory Gallagher - Closing solo from 'Irish Tour '74'
All Too Much - Steve Hillage - Closing solo from 'L'
Foreplay/Long Time - Boston - Main solo from 'Boston'
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
condor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote condor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2018 at 10:59
Schizoid Man, especially live, like NYC 1974
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2018 at 12:01
the guitar solo in the "blues section" of "Heartbeat" on the first solo album of guitarist Roman Bunka. the song starts at 33:56 and the section I mean at 39:36 (but by all means listen to the whole song, or even better the whole album).

Bunka is by far the most underappreciated guitar player here; the only ones who ever mention his name are Friede and I, though he is a fantastic player

Edited by BaldJean - January 19 2018 at 12:03

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2018 at 12:42
Hendrix in the long version of Voodoo Chile. Machine Gun in Band Of Gypsys is really great too.
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 18:00
I must put in a mention for Dave Flett's solo on "The Road to Babylon". It's on the Manfred Mann's Earth Band album The Roaring Silence (1976). There's another, rather more famous song on the same album which also has a phenomenal Flett guitar solo!
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 04:09
Bold As Love by The Jimi Hendrix Experience always used to be my go to favourite for guitar solos.
This is something I actually haven't thought about. I noticed them but I seem to have lost that thrill because guitar solos are amazing.
Comfortably Numb maybe predictable choice but it's a perfect example because the solos are in two different moods. Although nowhere near the amount of notes used in Bold As Love.
TiddK View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiddK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 09:29
I've not read back all 11 pages in this topic! So I will just say that for pure emotional power and that undefinable "aah" feeling, it has to be Hackett's solo in Genesis's "Firth Of Fifth", which was originally intended to be a flute according to Banks. 

Second place would probably go to Mike Oldfield in Robert Wyatt's "Little Red Robin Hood Hits The Road" from Rock Bottom.
For Nobody's Bush View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote For Nobody's Bush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 17:58
Maybe it's Fripp's in Bowie's Fashion.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote For Nobody's Bush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 18:00
Or maybe Jimi Hendrix' Machine Gun.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote For Nobody's Bush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 18:18
Extract from Star's End from Mike Oldfield's Boxed. Also, Chicago's 3rd album, 1st song.
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 00:49
Comfortably Numb

No challenge. Virtuosity isn't about playing lots of notes. It is about playing something beautiful, emotional, and something that can wrench at you. David Gilmour does that, and doesn't have to be flashy to do so.
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 05:17
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

I must put in a mention for Dave Flett's solo on "The Road to Babylon". It's on the Manfred Mann's Earth Band album The Roaring Silence (1976). There's another, rather more famous song on the same album which also has a phenomenal Flett guitar solo!

Great nomination; Flett played some really wonderful guitar for the Earth Band. Pity that he was only active in prog for such a short period. I just checked his Wikipedia page to see what he had been up to afterwards and it states that "with the help of a number of musicians including Manfred Mann and John Lingwood, Flett's first solo album, Flying Blind, was released in April 2014 for download."
I wonder whether anybody has heard it... I really should check it out.

By the way, Mick Rogers also has some great solos on Nightingales and Bombers and earlier Earth band albums.

Another one that hasn't been mentioned yet is Andy Latimer on Summer Lightning (which some people hate because of its disco rhythm, but still the guitar solo, oh the guitar solo...).
TiddK View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiddK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 10:35
Originally posted by philipemery philipemery wrote:

Comfortably Numb

No challenge. Virtuosity isn't about playing lots of notes. It is about playing something beautiful, emotional, and something that can wrench at you. David Gilmour does that, and doesn't have to be flashy to do so.

Agreed. That's exactly how I feel about Steve Hackett's solo on The Firth Of Fifth. Gets me every time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>