Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recent Purchases

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 459460461462463 524>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2017 at 17:47
Frank Sinatra - Sinatra's Swingin' Session!!!
Dean Martin - The Platinum Collection (white vinyl)

EDIT: Another quick order.

Stone Temple Pilots - Tiny Music... (blue vinyl, look at that beauty!)

And yet another quick order to add to my Elder collection:

Elder - Dead Roots Stirring (2017 remaster black/purple splatter vinyl)
Elder - s/t (2017 remaster purple in green vinyl)

Edited by MillsLayne - November 06 2017 at 21:45
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2017 at 13:14
Nice finds today: this Tool bootleg for 3€ and a pile of jazz (Dexter Gordon, Charlie Parker, Chet Baker . . .) for 1€ each.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2017 at 20:42
Chicago - Chicago II
Earth Wind & Fire - Greatest Hits
Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2017 at 05:26
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2017 at 16:58
^ Nice! What's the one on the right? I can't make out the title from the glare.

Today:

Gracious - Gracious!
Gracious - This is...Gracious!!
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2017 at 03:55
^
It's the first pressing of Journey by Arthur's Brown Kingdom Come in near mint shape. Wonderful motoric electronic space prog album. Smile

EDIT: Captcha got me literally five or six times before this post went through. Angry

Edited by ALotOfBottle - November 13 2017 at 03:55
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2017 at 22:44
Thumbs Up 

(In response to the album, of course, not the Captchas...)
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2017 at 20:40
Crimson - Chicago 2017

Ok, I think I have enough live Crimson.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2017 at 20:54
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 04:21
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Captcha-test:

Agusa - s/t
Dreadnaught - Hard Chargin'
Weserbergland - Sehr Kosmisch, Ganz Progish
Grachan Moncur lll - Mosaic Select

That Grachan Moncur set is real sweet.

I have a Dreadnaught album from years ago (Musica En Flagrante) but must admit I never really got into it.

What do you think of the Weserbergland?  I like it, but in my head it is bracketed with Walrus (I guess because both are Kraut-ish projects with the mighty Mattias on drums) and when I play it I keep thinking how I like Walrus more Ouch
Hi Simon

Sorry for my tardy reply but this site takes a bit of a toll on you. I have to take the odd break in order to keep my sanity.

That Grachan Moncur set is indeed real sweet. May just be the finest recordings I have of his actually. One thing this set really has going for it is the way it was captured on tape. These recordings smoke just about anything I've heard of supposedly new and improved studio recordings. There's just no way you can beat the level of intimacy and warmth found on this baby. Funny thing is it's probably made with a couple of well-placed mics in some old broom cupboard. 

Hmmm haven't heard Walrus but seem to remember Michael birdie-nam-nam reviewing them a good while back. Safe to say I found the new Weserbergland a little too...erm..polite? for it's own good. Kinda weird seeing as most new albums made in the retro vein (be that symph, psych whatev) up here in Scandinavia seem to have realised that a big part of the magic that was the 70s came off the warm production. Weserbergland seems to have caught the "American" bug where psych music often is recorded in some form of sterile lab where drums don't really sound like drums and every little peep and gesture NOT pertaining to a certain pitch or note is eradicated by huge big scissors and professional school ink.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 07:35
^ No sweat David. Captcha could drive the sanest of us to drinking the furniture polish and eating brass candlesticks.

You are actually right about the recording technique on those Grachan Moncur albums, and almost all of the classic sixties Blue Note recordings, if you substitute “Rudy van Gelder’s studio in Englewood Cliffs, NJ” for the old cupboard. He did start out using the back room of his parents' house though, until he was established and was able to get the studio built! But in either place I think the technique was the same: the band played live captured by a pair of stereo mics. And it works just great.

I know what you mean about overproduction. I feel similarly about the Gaudi album this year, which also has not grabbed me like I hoped it would. I love Steely Dan, don't get me wrong, but most of the time I'd rather hear the human element and even a few mistakes than an airbrushed product. Hell when they recorded Maggot Brain everyone was on LSD including the engineer, and it sounds right to me.

A bit of Walrus:

Edited by Mascodagama - November 21 2017 at 07:37
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 12:23
Funky you should mention that Gaudi album as I have been spinning that sucker almost incessantly since I got my hands on it. I absolutely love the grandeose production although tbh it took some weed to win me over. Since then I've loved it every time I put it on regardless of my sobriety.
It reminds me a lot of Screamadelica actually...though without the odd Rolling Stones cameo. S'got that same serene electronics 'recorded in an incredibly clean and wet limestone cave' sound to it.

Blue Note recordings yeah. Now that should be the standard in any 'retro-style' production methinks. Dungen certainly knows what I'm on about.

Thanks for the walrus btw. I love the teeth.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 13:44
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Funky you should mention that Gaudi album as I have been spinning that sucker almost incessantly since I got my hands on it. I absolutely love the grandeose production although tbh it took some weed to win me over. Since then I've loved it every time I put it on regardless of my sobriety.
It reminds me a lot of Screamadelica actually...though without the odd Rolling Stones cameo. S'got that same serene electronics 'recorded in an incredibly clean and wet limestone cave' sound to it.
Maybe I need to try it when better refreshed! Though it has been a long time since I partook of the herb. It did have a way of opening up certain music that I have to say is not replicated by a good glass of pinot noir, or even a Duvel Trippel Hop, more's the pity.

Edited by Mascodagama - November 21 2017 at 13:51
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 14:04
Heh...yeah I'm not sure the vino is the way forth either...at least not in that way. I'm more of a sour beer aficionado these days but due to those slipped discs in my back I've been shaking hands with buddha on a daily basis (threw the pills mr doctorman gave me directly in the trash after three weeks of feeling like an impemding surgery patient...and they didn't help with the pain either). I do find the same erm 'mindset' is quite easily attainable otherwise only one has to remember (or your body) the same level of relaxation.
Then again comfy chair in the bubblebath may just do the trick.

Edited by Guldbamsen - November 21 2017 at 14:06

- Douglas Adams
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 23:34
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Crimson - Chicago 2017

Ok, I think I have enough live Crimson.

not possible! 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2017 at 10:27
^ My next Crim purchase will be new studio material.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2017 at 10:30
Upgrade: Matching Mole/Little Red Record 2 cd expanded

Soft Machine: BBC 1967-1971/BBC 1971-1974 2 cd set
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2017 at 12:26

I hope you buy again soon then. :p 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2017 at 20:11
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

I hope you buy again soon then. :p 

Hope so too but i'm not holding my breath. I enjoy Jakko's contribution but, just like David Sylvian in the early 90s, I don't think he's the right fit (compositionally) for Crimson.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2017 at 20:24
Meanwhile, I'm waiting for Bob to pay us all a drink. Haha!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 459460461462463 524>