Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recent Purchases

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 463464465466467 524>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 05:31
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

<div dir="auto" style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px;"> 
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Oh and yet another 'what?!?!?!': remixes ? <div dir="auto" style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px;">Like techno?
<div dir="auto" style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px;">
<div dir="auto" style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px;">Well, kinda...<div dir="auto" style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px;">
<div dir="auto" style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px;">Full skinny on the box contents: you get the five studio albums, the 'Erholung' live album with two additional tracks including a 26-minute odyssey, another CD of a concert from 1976 consisting of two 40-minute trips (this is a real gem) and three CDs assembled by Reichel from AR&M material retrospectively. These are:<div dir="auto" style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px;">
<div dir="auto" style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px;">“Transformation”:  Made by AR in 1996 as part of his initial exploration of digital technology, and actually a pretty respectable mid-nineties ambient / chillout album. If it had been released at the time it could have sat quite happily on my shelf between FSOL and Little Axe (if you remember them!). He didn't release it then as he’d decided that you can only be one thing at one time (funny story in the book about the flack he'd recently got from fans of his rock singer stuff when he authorised the CD reissue of Grune Reise...).<div dir="auto" style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px;">
<div dir="auto" style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px;">“14 Pieces for Guitar and Echo Chamber”:  AR found a box of tapes when looking for additional material that turned out to be unaccompanied echo guitar experiments he'd laid down during the AR&M years. I think these have been edited by AR to make more coherent pieces and treatments applied in a few places. A bit to my surprise this is one of the best things in the box, quite mesmeric and compelling stuff.<div dir="auto" style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px;">
<div dir="auto" style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px;">“Virtual Journey”: a second CD of beat-orientated mixes made by AR for the box set. These are generally more minimal (largely just guitar and rhythm) and on the whole work pretty well, with a few tracks that I can see myself programming up regularly when I'm in the AR&M headspace. <div dir="auto" style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px;">
<div dir="auto" style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px;">I guess the trancey and groove-driven nature of quite a lot of the original AR&M material lends itself better to this kind of treatment than most 70s rock/psych/prog. And AR hasn't made a fool of himself with these mixes - we're not talking about a Wishbone Ash Trance Visionary-style fiasco here, thankfully.<div ="yj6qo"="" style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8px;">

I think you're right about that. The often simplistic and hypnotic drive of the old Krautrock motorik engine does seem to lend itself to more modern stuff like IDM and electronica. That is also why I dig Klaus Schulze's Moonlake and Franco Battiato's most recent homage to his early prog rock roots, Joe Patti's Experimental Group - both of which successfully merge the old school spirit with contemporary electronic music.
Problem here though is that I already own all A. R. & Machines studio albums...and it can get a little pricey having to buy every new boxset that comes along with previously unreleased material. Still....aaaaargghh!

That reminds me, I've still to hear the infamous Yes remixes. I figure most of the condescending reviews of it are written by elderly folks who haven't heard anything new since 'Video Killed The Radiostar'

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 13 2018 at 05:31
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 11:13

I think you're right about that. The often simplistic and hypnotic drive of the old Krautrock motorik engine does seem to lend itself to more modern stuff like IDM and electronica. That is also why I dig Klaus Schulze's Moonlake and Franco Battiato's most recent homage to his early prog rock roots, Joe Patti's Experimental Group - both of which successfully merge the old school spirit with contemporary electronic music.
Problem here though is that I already own all A. R. & Machines studio albums...and it can get a little pricey having to buy every new boxset that comes along with previously unreleased material. Still....aaaaargghh!

I didn’t know about this Battiato project...how is it?

Yeah, if I’d had all the original AR&M albums I wouldn't have sprung for the box, tempting though some of the new stuff is. 'Tis frustrating when that happens!

That reminds me, I've still to hear the infamous Yes remixes. I figure most of the condescending reviews of it are written by elderly folks who haven't heard anything new since 'Video Killed The Radiostar'

Often these things fall between two stools and fail to satisfy as either rock or electronica....having said that, I haven't heard them either.

Edited by Mascodagama - January 13 2018 at 11:14
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 14:36
A little shopping last night........

MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 17:46
^Trespass is by far my favorite Genesis album. 

Pre-ordered:

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Gumboot Soup

Ordered:

Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Boards of Canada - In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country
June of 44 - Anahata
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 22:29
Today's purchases:
Bacamarte - Depois Do Fim
Los Canarios - Ciclos
Crucis - Crucis
Earth, Wind & Fire - Gratitude
Ragnarok - Ragnarok
Uriah Heep - Salisbury

And some late Christmas gifts that only came in the mail this morning:
Alas - Pinta Tu Aldea
Comus - Song To Comus
Interpose+ - Interpose+
SBB - Memento Z Banalnym Tryptykiem

Today was a good day... Big smile
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 21:20
Ordered:

The Breeders - Last Splash (red vinyl)
Beck - Odelay (Vinyl Me, Please "bourbon" edition)
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 04:38
Panther & C- "Il Giusto Equilibrio"
Astrolabio- "I Paralumi della Ragione"
Maxophone- "La fabbrica delle nuvole"
Accordo Dei Contrari - "Violato Intatto"
il Cerchio D'oro-  "il Fuoco Sotto la Cenere"
Cantina Sociale - "Caosfera"
Taproban- "Per Aspera Ad Astera"
Gandalf's Fist- " A Day in the Life of a Universal Wanderer" Special Edition 2017
Soup- " Remedies" 

On Pre-Order

Therion - "Beloved Antichrist"
3rdegree- "Ones & Zero's: Vol 0" 2018 sequel to " Ones & Zero's: Vol 1 2015
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 10:24
The Moody Blues-- Days of Future Passed ( deluxe edition W/DVD audio 2017)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 10:28
The Clash - Give 'em Enough Rope (CD)
Táxi - s/t (LP)
Tangerine Dream - Dream Mixes 4 (CD)
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 18:57
Xmas stuff:

King Crimson - Sailors' Tales
Art Zoyd - 44 1/2
Sirius - Acoustic Main Suite
Kullhammer/et al - Basement Tapes Vol. 4: Bali
Tree Ear - Witches Butter
Orchestra Of The Upper Atmosphere - 03
Seijaku - After Seijaku
Curlew's 1st album
H-Alpha - Red Sphere
Trio96- Duo03
ADC - Kublai
STS - Paris 98
Nekropolis - Kannan Live 75
Citizen Cain - Skies Darken
Nadavati - Le Vent...
Papir - V
Ibliss - Supernova
Embryo - Live
Mirthkon - Snacks
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2018 at 17:07
Ordered: 

Deftones - Around The Fur
Deftones - White Pony
June of 44 - Engine Takes To Water
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 21:44
Triumvirat - Illusions On A Double Dimple
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 23:57
Some recents:

AEOC - Kabalaba 
D Moye/ et al - Cassava Bells
TU - Live In Russia
Fripp/Eno - No Pussyfooting
T Gunn - Music For PIctures
Ash Ra Temple Experience - Live In Melborne
The Thing - Baby Talk
TD - Quantum Key
TD - Quantum Gate
Lenny White - Venusian Summer
F Frith - Guitar Solos
Greg Fox - The Gradual Progression 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2018 at 17:57
Hawkwind - Hall of the Mountain Grill
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Steely Dan - Katy Lied
Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells A Story
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 19:42
Just ordered this surprise from last year.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 21:44
Crosby, Stills & Nash - Crosby, Stills & Nash 
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young -  Deja Vu
Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 18:40
Van der Graaf Generator - H To He, Who Am The Only One
Emtidi - Saat
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 12:05
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Bearded Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 12:24
Miriodor - Signal 9
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 12:27
Art Zoyd: 44.5 - Live and Unreleased Works

Third big box set in recent months. This is becoming a worrying habit!
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 463464465466467 524>