Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recent Purchases

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 331332333334335 524>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 18:16
KLAUS SCHULZE - "La Vie Electronique Vol 13"
Am I gonna get all of these, or what? It's starting to look that way, zoiks.

ULVER - "Wars of the Roses"
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 23:44
Filling in some holes in my Camel collection...

“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 00:30
^Ice is worth the price alone on that second album (really the only worthy part of the album LOL).

And I finished my NIN studio collection yesterday with this (no remix albums included):

catfood03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catfood03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 07:44
Sinoia Caves: Beyond the Black Rainbow OST

(note: not my photo. I bought the mp3 version)
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 08:10
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Are you purposely seeking out the LVE compilations over his studio albums Steve? 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 08:13
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Are you purposely seeking out the LVE compilations over his studio albums Steve? 
The LVE albums are more readily available right now (and very attractively priced).  Most of the studio albums I want seem to be out of print, and used copies run pretty expensive.  I'm hoping for a reissue in the near future.  But most of them are on Youtube anyway so that'll hold me for now.  If you know where I can get the studio albums at a reasonable price, I'd love to know.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 08:20

The LVE albums are more readily available right now (and very attractively priced).  Most of the studio albums I want seem to be out of print, and used copies run pretty expensive.  I'm hoping for a reissue in the near future.  But most of them are on Youtube anyway so that'll hold me for now.  If you know where I can get the studio albums at a reasonable price, I'd love to know.

Well erm... I own most of my Schulze albums on vinyl - used vinyl no less, so that's probably the easiest way of finding them (in DenmarkTongue). I've actually been a little hesitant buying any more on vinyl, because I miss out on all of the extra stuff he puts on the cd versions.
So yeah I'm basically of no help whatsoeverLOL
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 08:22

Well erm... I own most of my Schulze albums on vinyl - used vinyl no less, so that's probably the easiest way of finding them (in DenmarkTongue). I've actually been a little hesitant buying any more on vinyl, because I miss out on all of the extra stuff he puts on the cd versions.
Finding a stash of Klaus vinyl around here is about as likely an event as finding Klaus himself walking the streets of Atlanta.  Not that he wouldn't fit in just fine.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 08:29

Finding a stash of Klaus vinyl around here is about as likely an event as finding Klaus himself walking the streets of Atlanta.  Not that he wouldn't fit in just fine.

LOL
I am pretty lucky then to have found and acquired Blackdance, Mirage and Audentity during one visit to a vinyl shop.
Then again, I'd imagine that you have it a whole lot easier finding cool obscurities from the US than I have here in Scandinavia.

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 09:32
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

^Ice is worth the price alone on that second album (really the only worthy part of the album LOL).

Yeah, Ice is a great song. Loads of awesome guitar work from Latimer who I feel is still an extremely underrated player.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 15:35
Bought:

Merzbow - Anicca
I Anderson - Rupi's Dance
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 15:40
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Yeah, Ice is a great song. Loads of awesome guitar work from Latimer who I feel is still an extremely underrated player.

While Ice is definitely the highlight of the album, I think the album is actually pretty good. I especially love Who We Are. But even the poppy songs are great. I think there is one dud on the album. I think Remote Romance if memory serves.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Bearded Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 15:59
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Also Audun. Fill me in on the SWANS whenever you like. Are they very different from THE SMITHS?
Just curious. Like to hear your take.
I'm still quite new to Swans (only have their last two studio albums and one live album), so I'm not exactly an expert on the matter. I like what I've heard from them so far though. I find their mix of post rock with other musical genres in their own dark way very interesting. I especially like their Can-influenced tracks (one from The Seer in particular, but the name of the track escapes me). Never heard The Smiths, so wouldn't know how they compare.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 16:55
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

While Ice is definitely the highlight of the album, I think the album is actually pretty good. I especially love Who We Are. But even the poppy songs are great. I think there is one dud on the album. I think Remote Romance if memory serves.
agree, but I'd go one further and say that Remote Romance kinda rules too.

-Kehlog Albran
catfood03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catfood03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 17:39
Well, I don't have it in my hands yet, but I pre-ordered the upcoming Aphex Twin...

TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 10:28
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Also Audun. Fill me in on the SWANS whenever you like. Are they very different from THE SMITHS?
Just curious. Like to hear your take.
I'm still quite new to Swans (only have their last two studio albums and one live album), so I'm not exactly an expert on the matter. I like what I've heard from them so far though. I find their mix of post rock with other musical genres in their own dark way very interesting. I especially like their Can-influenced tracks (one from The Seer in particular, but the name of the track escapes me). Never heard The Smiths, so wouldn't know how they compare.

Swans and The Smiths have almost nothing in common.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 10:47
Ordered yesterday:

Edited by rushfan4 - September 05 2014 at 10:48
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 10:49
The Swans work primarily in two modes -- either a) ecstatic beauty, a ritualistic celebration of life, or b) intense catharsis, a purging of deep pain and loss.  Either way it's pretty intense.  It uses a lot of repetition and long-form writing.  It's "Big" music.

The Smiths were a unique and hugely successful British pop band in the 80s.  They had a jangly yet hard-hitting instrumental attack, topped with a singer (Morrissey) who had a really amusing conversational style that touched on melodrama, humor, and witty sarcasm, delivered in a crooning voice that keeps the tongue ever so slightly inside the cheek.

The Shaggs were a proto-prog band from Sardinia that featured Todd Rundgren and Furio Chirico (future drummer for Arti & Mestieri).  Their groundbreaking use of the Tuna Fish Guitar created quite a ruckus in the Berlin School community when Edgar Froese suddenly dropped his pants in a

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 13:12
Some pickups today at the used shop (all CD)

HAIR POLICE - s/t
BLACK DICE - Load Blown
SISSY SPACEK - s/t
HELLA - Hold Your Horse Is
ANIMAL COLLECTIVE - Campfire Songs

not bad for a lunch break.

-Kehlog Albran
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 13:21
Just bought:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 331332333334335 524>