Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIO/Avant Drop-In Centre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 161>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIO/Avant Drop-In Centre
    Posted: August 12 2008 at 17:41
This thread has been started based on a good recommendation by Pnoom!

Due to an impending closure of the original RIO thread, please post all your loving comments about RIO/Avant (I would think Zeuhl is welcome as well) in here instead of the original.  That way, the original can remain accessible for reading informative old posts.

It would really be good if an admin could lock and sticky the old thread as well.

Thanks!  Thumbs%20Up
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rileydog22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2008 at 17:47
MAGMA

Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pnoom! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2008 at 17:48
WURDAH OLD THREAD WURDAH OLD THREAD!
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pnoom! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2008 at 17:50

But seriously, I'm going to recommend Israeli composer Yitzhak Yedid's latest album, Oud Bass Piano Trio.  It's a mix of modern classical, free jazz, klezmer, arab music, and more.  It's dynamic, exciting, and very engaging.
mecca View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mecca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2008 at 18:16
Why exactly do we need a new thread?  Creating a new one and stickying and locked thread seems a bit needless.  Oh, I see.  A 4k-post threshold...

AIDS Wolf this year will release a new album RateYourMusic said.  Through Skin Graft I bet.

Satanized is something some of you should be interested.  Virtuosic guitar skillz (he's from Normal Love, come on), and tons of rock energy. 

Edited by mecca - August 12 2008 at 18:19
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2008 at 18:57
The only thing I know about Aids Wolf is their nude photo shoots. LOL

Aaron, Ahvak is underrated, not overrated, don't be silly! Wink

Miss M., Ahvak will grow and grow on you... it's seriously in my top 5 RIO/Avant-prog albums of all time.  I prefer it to U Totem's debut. Wink

Edited by James - August 12 2008 at 18:58
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bj-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2008 at 19:04
Could we rename this to 'The RIO Room' ? Clown

RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2008 at 20:27
Originally posted by Bj-1 Bj-1 wrote:

Could we rename this to 'The RIO Room' ? Clown

Maybe on the next rev.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2008 at 20:37
Yes but what's the RPM of this thread, Patrick?

*thinks about how he can make this thread get back on topic again*

Oh yes, Pocket Orchestra, I've had an excerpt of one of their tracks stuck in my brain for a bit today. Big%20smile  Excellent band and you need to find their album somehow.

Edited by James - August 13 2008 at 10:17
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2008 at 20:44
I've actually been pretty good lately (at not buying CDs) - I only ordered Infernal Machina because I didn't want it to not be available later.  I still have some stuff I want to get from Wayside and Greg Walker, and I'm sure that list will grow with this new RIO room.  Big%20smile
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rileydog22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2008 at 04:02
This thread needs more

Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Petrovsk Mizinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2008 at 05:09
The other thread had 13 pages leftCry
But yes, let it be known I have joined the ranks of RIO fans in the last few weeks.

Yay, post on first page!Big%20smile
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Petrovsk Mizinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2008 at 05:12
Hang on lol,  I just realized this one's called the RIO AND Avante thread, not just RIO.
In that case, I've got more to talk about in here then.
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pnoom! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2008 at 10:14
The other one was always the RIO/avant thread even if the title didn't say so.
song_of_copper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote song_of_copper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2008 at 12:59
Hey hey. Cool

Been doing some more listening today.  I'm off on holiday to Norway next week, so I went to the library and looked at guide books, and listened to 'Heresie' again.  It goes rather well with Vikings, I think. *would insert Viking emoticon if there was one*

One thing I've been noticing, though, is that sometimes when I play Univers Zero, my mind tends to wander.  (Reading at the same time doesn't help, obviously, but still...)  I'm sure in time the dots will connect a bit more with it - it's not exactly easy listening territory, after all - but when Present is on, it's so obsessively catchy, I can't ignore it. Heart  'Certitudes' is destined for heavy rotation chez moi, je crois. Tongue

Third play of 'Ahvak' is in progress as I type and it really does seem to get better with each listen.  It does have a slightly clinical feel, somehow, which is a bit odd.  I prefer the bits that 'rock' more, if you know what I mean... LOL

Speaking of 'bits that rock', I walked home from town whilst listening to Weidorje.  Music to put a silly grin on your face...! Big%20smile <--- silly grin.

Apparently the last.fm/ipod problem is to do with the latest itunes update, so it's not just me being a Luddite.  It's a shame, because I daresay my holiday listening habits won't be recorded for posterity, but here is a perfect opportunity not to care about such trifles and just enjoy the music!  (I shall still take a daily dose of Magma, though... Embarrassed)
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2008 at 13:17
Who wrote Thinking Plague's bio?

" You'd have to be primordial ooze to not think this is brilliant."

LOL
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2008 at 14:38
Originally posted by song_of_copper song_of_copper wrote:

Hey hey. Cool

Been doing some more listening today.  I'm off on holiday to Norway next week, so I went to the library and looked at guide books, and listened to 'Heresie' again.  It goes rather well with Vikings, I think. *would insert Viking emoticon if there was one*

One thing I've been noticing, though, is that sometimes when I play Univers Zero, my mind tends to wander.  (Reading at the same time doesn't help, obviously, but still...)  I'm sure in time the dots will connect a bit more with it - it's not exactly easy listening territory, after all - but when Present is on, it's so obsessively catchy, I can't ignore it. Heart  'Certitudes' is destined for heavy rotation chez moi, je crois. Tongue

Third play of 'Ahvak' is in progress as I type and it really does seem to get better with each listen.  It does have a slightly clinical feel, somehow, which is a bit odd.  I prefer the bits that 'rock' more, if you know what I mean... LOL

Speaking of 'bits that rock', I walked home from town whilst listening to Weidorje.  Music to put a silly grin on your face...! Big%20smile <--- silly grin.

Apparently the last.fm/ipod problem is to do with the latest itunes update, so it's not just me being a Luddite.  It's a shame, because I daresay my holiday listening habits won't be recorded for posterity, but here is a perfect opportunity not to care about such trifles and just enjoy the music!  (I shall still take a daily dose of Magma, though... Embarrassed)

Oh I like that clinical feel.  The whole Ahvak album makes me smile like Weidorje make you smile (although Weidorje makes me smile just as much) and I wouldn't change it for the world.  The melodic and rocky bits of many chamber pieces tend to get similar (maybe why you're having issues with UZ) and it's the clinical parts that make Ahvak so much different and more interesting than many chamber prog bands. Big%20smile

Plus Ahvak's album sounds like how I think an industrial album should sound.  It's futuristic, rather than medieaval (like UZ and Present) and it's a welcome change.  I think that's why I like Guapo too, 'cause they're also futuristic and clinical. Big%20smile

I don't know Certitudes yet. Embarrassed

Edited by James - August 13 2008 at 14:40
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote song_of_copper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2008 at 15:27
Originally posted by James James wrote:

Oh I like that clinical feel.  The whole Ahvak album makes me smile like Weidorje make you smile (although Weidorje makes me smile just as much) and I wouldn't change it for the world.  The melodic and rocky bits of many chamber pieces tend to get similar (maybe why you're having issues with UZ) and it's the clinical parts that make Ahvak so much different and more interesting than many chamber prog bands. Big%20smile

Plus Ahvak's album sounds like how I think an industrial album should sound.  It's futuristic, rather than medieaval (like UZ and Present) and it's a welcome change.  I think that's why I like Guapo too, 'cause they're also futuristic and clinical. Big%20smile

I don't know Certitudes yet. Embarrassed

Ahvak certainly is original-sounding (when it could have been a clone of so many things...), and modern-sounding too.  I guess I'm so used to the sound of late-70s production that it feels kinda weird to hear that clean, neatly-spaced, contemporary sound... or something! LOL

Re. UZ, everything I've heard has been really good, but it is so close to being actual chamber music (as opposed to 'chamber rock' or whatever the phrase is!) that again it is quite a different sound than what I'm used to.

With both, though, I think more listening will pay dividends! Smile

One thing that strikes me is that the things I like best combine the 20th C. classical influences with an innate... groove.  Magma and Present have that, for sure.  Even Guapo, in parts.  You call it clinical, I'd call it 'intellectual' I think (the band members certainly like their obscure literary quotes!!), and despite that, it has a certain... clammy sweatiness!  Ick, sorry, that's gross, but that's the best metaphor I can think of right now. Big%20smile

Re. 'Certitudes', it does have those peculiar trembly vocals that I'm sure some people would find annoying, but so far I quite like them!  I seem to recall Present's website has a few samples.  It's extremely repetitive, too, but again, I find that strangely enjoyable... Smile  And it is close to being the original line up, so parts of it will remind you very much of the first 2 brilliant albums. Thumbs%20Up
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2008 at 15:54
I like clammy sweatiness. LOL

Except Ahvak doesn't feel like that to my ears.  Now Far Corner do sound clinical and in the wrong way.  Far Corner (and in some instances, NeBeLNeST) occasionally lack emotion and therefore sound boring.

Ahvak never sound boring and there's so much going on and it oozes with supremely infectious atmosphere it really works for me.

Ahvak is the soundtrack to Blade whilst UZ albums are the soundtrack to something Lovecraftian, or a horror.

Basically, Ahvak are 21st century chamber prog (it is chamber prog, even if it doesn't sound like chamber prog... I know, I think weirdly... but they're influenced by bands such as UZ and Present, I believe) and are more akin to a great science fiction sountrack.

The "industrial" sound I hear is just brilliant and no other band I've heard sounds like them.  It was an instant hit for me bit with each and every listen, it gets better and better.  It's apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic at the same time.

Give it some love and try and understand that "intellectual" clinicalness. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote song_of_copper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2008 at 16:33
Originally posted by James James wrote:

I like clammy sweatiness. LOL

Except Ahvak doesn't feel like that to my ears.  Now Far Corner do sound clinical and in the wrong way.  Far Corner (and in some instances, NeBeLNeST) occasionally lack emotion and therefore sound boring.

Ahvak never sound boring and there's so much going on and it oozes with supremely infectious atmosphere it really works for me.

Ahvak is the soundtrack to Blade whilst UZ albums are the soundtrack to something Lovecraftian, or a horror.

Basically, Ahvak are 21st century chamber prog (it is chamber prog, even if it doesn't sound like chamber prog... I know, I think weirdly... but they're influenced by bands such as UZ and Present, I believe) and are more akin to a great science fiction sountrack.

The "industrial" sound I hear is just brilliant and no other band I've heard sounds like them.  It was an instant hit for me bit with each and every listen, it gets better and better.  It's apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic at the same time.

Give it some love and try and understand that "intellectual" clinicalness. Wink

Sorry, my previous post was unclear - with the 'clammy sweatiness' and intellectual air I was referring to Guapo. Big%20smile

Don't worry James, as I said, Ahvak does seem to improve with each listen! Smile

Edited to add... nice signature. Wink

Edited by song_of_copper - August 13 2008 at 16:34
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 161>