Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIO/Avant Drop-In Centre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 136137138139140 161>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2012 at 19:59
Originally posted by Scavence Scavence wrote:

If anyone has the time to answer this question I would appreciate.

I am searching for the darker bands known in RIO and I would even want to try bands in other progressive music. I know that progressive music is a wide-ranged word but I am willing to give every band a try because I've found lots of pearls by listening something else than I was used to.

Miasma and the Carousel of Headless Horses was the first band that caught my attention.

To name a few bands I like:

Blackflim - Blackfilm [Electronic]
Gorguts - Obscura [Death Metal]
Kronos Quartet - Uniko [Classical]
Mar de Grises - Draining the Waterheart [Doom Metal]
Miasma & The Carrousel of Headless Horses [RIO]
The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble [Jazz]

If you think you know a band that has a weird atmosphere then I am eager to listen.

Just some thoughts..

Some will fit your "needs" more than others, but here you go:

Daniel Denis - Les Eaux Troubles
Kevin Hufnagel - Songs for the Disappeared
Absolute Zero - Crashing Icons
Guapo - Five Suns; Black Oni
HORDE CATALYTIQUE POUR LA FIN - Gestation Sonore (I personally don't like it, but you might)
MORKOBOT - Morbo
Thinking Plague - In Extremis, A History of Madness (and then all the rest of their catalog)
MAKE A RISING - both albums
Motor Totemist Guild - City of Mirrors
OCTOBER EQUUS - all three releases
Present - Triskaidekaphobie / Le Poison Qui Rend Fou (and all other releases)
RATIONAL DIET - all three releases
ROZ VITALIS - Compassionizer
SHINING - Grindstone
SOTOS - Platypus
ZAAR - s/t
U TOTEM - s/t (a must have!!!)
UNIVERS ZERO (everything)
VORTEX - get the two-on-one release
YUGEN - Labirinto D'acqua, Iridule
ZYPRESSEN - s/t

The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation (which you probably know given you like TKDE)
SYRINX - both releases

Scavence View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scavence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2012 at 04:48
To both replyers. I will check every single band wich I didnt already knew. From what I am hearing now I can tell that I will find alot new favorites. As for Shub Niggurath, I only gave it a quick listen so far. But the alias 'The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young' does sound inviting to me.

Thanks for the recommandations.

Edited by Scavence - February 02 2012 at 05:17
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 18:31
Out of those who donated to Carla Kihlstedt's Necessary Monsters kickstarter, how many of you have checked out her Rabbit Rabbit Radio site?  The new song there is awesome.
Evolutionary Sleeper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolutionary Sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 18:44
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Out of those who donated to Carla Kihlstedt's Necessary Monsters kickstarter, how many of you have checked out her Rabbit Rabbit Radio site?  The new song there is awesome.

The new song is quite good indeed. 
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 19:08
Originally posted by Evolutionary Sleeper Evolutionary Sleeper wrote:

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

The new song is quite good indeed. 
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2012 at 05:03
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

[QUOTE=Scavence]

Present - Triskaidekaphobie / Le Poison Qui Rend Fou (and all other releases)

Recently picked up this two-for-one album and it's superb. One of the best listens I've had in a while. Quality!
Van Manu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Van Manu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 16:59
Vraiment Autre Chose , the humble french avant prog radio show , does his 43 th show about the fabulous and unknown ( a shame!) label : Auris Media Records .
For the 10 years of Kruzenshern I Parohod , let's listen tracks from their 5 albums include the 2 lasts one , and one track from the next with Vialka , beautiful
Let's also discover other excellents stuffs from this label , let's listen free jazz , contemporary music , rock in opposition , klezmer core.
Let's go to our blog , let's listen , let's read , let's download , and enjoy .
It's a french show, but music has no languages http://vraimentautrechose.hautetfort.com/
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 19:31
For those of you on facebook who haven't seen it yet, there's a thriving group for avant prog fans now:

Anyways, I'm currently listening to Idiot Flesh (one of the precursors to Sleepytime Gorilla Museum). They are really good, I can hear where SGM got some of their sound. Any of you guys listen to these guys before? Their albums are almost impossible to find and if you do they are expensive, but they are on grooveshark:
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 19:47
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

Anyways, I'm currently listening to Idiot Flesh (one of the precursors to Sleepytime Gorilla Museum). They are really good, I can hear where SGM got some of their sound. Any of you guys listen to these guys before? Their albums are almost impossible to find and if you do they are expensive, but they are on grooveshark:

I actually found one of their albums (The Nothing Show) at my local independent store mixed in with the SGM cds for $13 new. Big smile I haven't listned to it yet though. Tongue
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 19:51
That is a nice find  - if you find another, pick it up for me, I'll pay ya back.
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rileydog22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2012 at 11:07
Hey RIO folks,
Long time no see! I've been chatting with Scott Brazieal (keyboard player with Cartoon, PFS, 5uu's, and other tasty avant groups) and he has just released a new album that I think would fit well in the avant section. 

Anyways, give him a listen. Scott's a good dude, and was even generous enough to do an interview on ProgArchives a couple of years ago

avalanchemaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalanchemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2012 at 12:15
Thanks for the heads-up on the Scott Brazieal disc.  I own everything else you listed and find his music completely engaging... A lot of RIO seems formulaic at this point (at least to me); I hate to say it, but even the new Thinking Plague was a little lackluster for me...  Especially after this many years.  I still bought it though, as they are one of my modern faves in the genre.  Their live disc is great though... I purchased that one just a few months ago.  Perhaps my obsession with RIO has faltered a little.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalanchemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2012 at 12:16
btw, Idiot Flesh were/are great.  I am saddened that SGM is no more, however I can't wait for their final album... 
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 22:32
Will do Gazz. Wink

Originally posted by avalanchemaster avalanchemaster wrote:

btw, Idiot Flesh were/are great.  I am saddened that SGM is no more, however I can't wait for their final album... 

Indeed. Anyone have news on how that final album is coming?? I thought it would have been released by this point.
Van Manu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Van Manu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 02:21
For the SGM final album they are launching a kickstarter campaign next month
to raise funds to finish that as well as a short film that goes with the
record
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 02:38
Ahh great. Thanks for the update. Thumbs Up
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frippism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 09:46
Originally posted by Van Manu Van Manu wrote:

For the SGM final album they are launching a kickstarter campaign next month
to raise funds to finish that as well as a short film that goes with the
record

Finally! A bit of news! You can be sure I'm donating.
There be dragons
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 10:14
^ Ditto!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalanchemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 18:30
I will definitely put up some money for SGM (best live show ever) towards their final recording... and film.
When someone learns of a site, can they post the link?

btw, been listening to nothing but 5uus lately... reminded of the brilliance.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 22:25
Page 4, unacceptable

Wayside has Art Zoyd's Champ de Larmes and Symphony... on special right now
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 136137138139140 161>