Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIO/Avant Drop-In Centre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 143144145146147 161>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2013 at 12:31
Originally posted by Udi Koomran Udi Koomran wrote:

Lets not  forgot Secret Chiefs 3  <span ="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 21px; "> <em style="-: initial; -attachment: initial; -origin: initial; -clip: initial; : transparent; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; vertical-align: line; font-style: italic; -: initial initial; -repeat: initial initial; ">Book of Souls: Folio A & B ....</span>
<span ="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 21px; "><em style="-: initial; -attachment: initial; -origin: initial; -clip: initial; : transparent; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; vertical-align: line; font-style: italic; -: initial initial; -repeat: initial initial; ">most anticipated </span>

Absolutely!

Do you know any updates on these? IIRC the first was suppose to be out in May but was delayed.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Udi Koomran View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udi Koomran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2013 at 05:45
http://www.webofmimicry.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=104

Early October
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2013 at 11:36
Picked up the Miriodor new album at ProgDay, great set and a nice set of guys, had a beer and a chat with Remi at the after party last night chatting RIO.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frippism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2013 at 11:51

Early October

FINALLY
There be dragons
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2013 at 15:34

Early October

Excellent!
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2013 at 20:21
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Picked up the Miriodor new album at ProgDay, great set and a nice set of guys, had a beer and a chat with Remi at the after party last night chatting RIO.

Easily my most looked forward to out of the next batch of Cuines.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2013 at 20:35
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

It's very good.
Ian

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 01:56

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

It's very good.

Stop bragging you.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 21:01
My week in France

Soleil Zeuhl - Paris
So Wednesday night we answered one of the eternal questions that has tasked man for decades - "How much is too much Zeuhl?"

For me it netted out at three and a half bands. I enjoyed all four bands a lot but by halfway through Neom's full on assault I finally started to flag. All four bands had their stylistic differences. Unit Wail were less rhythmic that the other three specializing in a darky moody ambience. Setna was lighter than the other bands with uplifting spiritualistic vocals and a stellar keyboards - sax combination up front. Scherzoo were more traditional with the full on driving drums and bass with keys sax & guitar heavily featured in a standard zeuhl approach. Neom were nuts, two 20 minute full on pieces that I would probably have enjoyed more if they hadn't had 3 zeuhl bands playing ahead of them.

Overall a terrific night meeting a lot of old friends from the avant circuit and making some new friends. Probably between 80 & 100 people there in a lovely little venue that seemed to usually function as a jazz club or cabaret. Alain announced that 13 different nationalities were in attendance so clearly those who love this stuff were happy to make a Paris - Carmaux week of it.

Rock In Opposition - Carmaux
Day 1

L'enfance Rouge were very loud and not really my thing, Aranis were wonderful as usual, played lots of new material and sound very dynamic and high energy, terrific set. Faust were very odd, half performance art half space/psyche rock, I wasn't sure if it was brilliant or complete bollocks, it may well have been both. Featured lots of chainsaws, welders, fire, and smoke, very very entertaining. Got to bed around 2.30 exhausted and happy.

Day 2
Outstanding day, didn't get to see all the bands full sets as the performances were so packed together you had to miss some if you wanted to eat or socialize. Cheer-Accident played their style of clever edgy song based, really good set, Univers Zero performed new material with their new line-up, no Michel Berckmann with Kurt Bude now covering all wind instruments primarily on sax, I personaly miss the Oboe & Bassoon of Michel, guitar is certainly a good add, overall the band was heavier & darker, as usual top notch stuff, Soft Machine Legacy played a very good jazz rock set, not much relation to SM original sound from the early days but the guys can play, MiRthkon were the headliners and didn't disappoint like C-A it's primarily clever edgy song based with heavy crunchy bits, horn section were loads of fun, good to see such high quality new bands get their chance. Loads of good banter with friends old and new, early to bed at 2.30am with the party still going strong. I missed most of Poil's set as I needed to miss one band to get some food and they drew the short straw, the brief stuff I caught sounded fun and I heard glowing reports.

Day 3 
Didn't have the overall quality of bands as Saturday but had the piece de resistance as the finale and a juggernaut in the middle. Senogul were straight ahead instrumental symphonic prog by the numbers, I heard comments such as "who booked Camel?" & "Are we at ROSfest?", Guapo were monstrously heavy and so loud they caused the PA to temporarily shutdown, they kept playing with the only difference being I could remove my earplugs and hear perfectly well, the sound came back and they powered through to the end, driving driving building building brilliant brilliant performance, pretty much played the latest album straight through. Panzerpappa are a Norwegian band who I'm not really sure how to describe, all instrumental lots of jazz influences but certainly rocked, two keyboards, sax, guitar, bass & drums, very tight complex stuff, they were probably the most upbeat happy band of the weekend. Ulan Bator were interesting psyche/space experimental, pretty good. Finally Present, they featured a bunch of new tracks, played hugely complex stuff incredibly heavily with everything holding together beautifully, crushed the ending with the finale of Promenade. Didn't see much of Nullstellensatz as it seemed to be trumpet plus all out experimentation, not really my stuff.

Overall, with Soleil Zeuhl, it was a wonderful week of music meeting old and new friends plenty of socializing and a very high level of performance. If there is one complaint it is that there were too many bands so you ended up running from band to band without a break to regroup, reflect, eat and socialize.

What a wonderful week I've had.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - September 23 2013 at 21:27
Ian

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 23:00
That's odd about Senogul. They certainly aren't symph prog by the numbers/camel clones on their cds.

But all that makes me very jealous. Especially the UZ/present and all the SZ festival. But sounds awesome.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 20:51
Just bought

Caillou - Caillou
Eckert, Alain - Alain Eckert Quartet
Unit Wail - Retort

Latest Soleil Zeuhl releases have arrived!! Smile
Ian

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 22:45
Sweet!

I've been waiting for them. (I'm especially salivating at Unit Wail's second.) Looks like I'm putting together a wayside order soon.
dogen View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2013 at 05:42
SC3 29.10.13 (UK)...
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2013 at 05:51
Altrock albums arrived in USA at Wayside

Empty Days - Empty Days
Mirthkon - Snack(s)
Spaltklang - In Between
Worm Ouroboros - Of Things That Never Were
Ian

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 07:29
Just appeared on the Coming Soon list at Wayside

PRESENT-Triskaidekaphobie (remastered reissue with 20' of bonus live material + rare photos and a complete story of the band)
PRESENT-Le Poison Qui Rend Fou (remastered reissue with a entire second disc of bonus live material + rare photos and a complete story of the band)
UNIVERS ZERO-Phosphorescent Dreams (first release by the new, quintet, more electric lineup - out end of January)
Ian

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udi Koomran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 13:15
the original masters received the royal treatment chez Mr. Toad - utilizing a Ampex ATR 102 recorder and Mytek convertors - these are the very best tools available today for such a delicate job 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udi Koomran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 13:16
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 15:35
Thumbs UpBeerHandshakeHug
Ian

Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 19:39

Just bought

Caillou - Caillou
Unit Wail - Retort

Got those on my list Ian and i'm especially looking forward to Caillou since everyone says they sound somewhat like One Shot.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 19:41
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Just bought

Caillou - Caillou
Unit Wail - Retort

Got those on my list Ian and i'm especially looking forward to Caillou since everyone says they sound somewhat like One Shot.

You'll really enjoy it.  Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 143144145146147 161>