Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIO/Avant Drop-In Centre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 144145146147148 161>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 19:49
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Just bought
Caillou - Caillou
Eckert, Alain - Alain Eckert Quartet
Unit Wail - Retort

Latest Soleil Zeuhl releases have arrived!! 

Got those on my list Ian and i'm especially looking forward to Caillou since everyone says they sound somewhat like One Shot

It's very good but this full release is stellar, I particularly like the Unit Wail which is even better than their debut.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - November 18 2013 at 19:51
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 19:50
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Just bought

Caillou - Caillou
Eckert, Alain - Alain Eckert Quartet
Unit Wail - Retort

Latest Soleil Zeuhl releases have arrived!! Smile

Got those on my list Ian and i'm especially looking forward to Caillou since everyone says they sound somewhat like One Shot.

You'll really enjoy it.  Tongue

Glad you chimed in Patrick 'cause I know you really dig One Shot.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 01:14
Originally posted by Udi Koomran Udi Koomran wrote:

Mmmmmmmmm.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 01:15
And:

How is Worm Ouroboros Badbad?
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 10:12
I'm listening to Caillou for the first time right now. Thumbs Up
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 12:43
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

And:

How is Worm Ouroboros Badbad?

Retro Canterbury sound, mellow & relaxed, most instrumental with some vocals. Not deliberately retro like some examples. Very well done.
Ian

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 17:26

And: How is Worm Ouroboros Badbad?

Retro Canterbury sound, mellow & relaxed, most instrumental with some vocals. Not deliberately retro like some examples. Very well done.

Hmmm....sounds interesting. I may have to cave.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 17:41

I'll have to check them out as well.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 18:29

I'll have to check them out as well.

Thirded.  (no pun intended)
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 19:46
Originally posted by Udi Koomran Udi Koomran wrote:

the original masters received the royal treatment chez Mr. Toad - utilizing a Ampex ATR 102 recorder and Mytek convertors - these are the very best tools available today for such a delicate job

Clap
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2013 at 07:59
So I was just wondering, do any of you guys (girls?) know the early proto RIO album Le Bal du rat Mort by Komintern? A wild bunch that grew out of the ashes of Red Noise, and considering they made this album in 1971 really puts them quite ahead of their time.
This band is a personal fave and they genuinely sound like a French take on Samla Mammas Manna with all kinds of baguettes and harmonica playing in there.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2013 at 08:32
^ baguettes, you say?  I won't stand for loafing around.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2013 at 08:33
Common with a bit of butter in there, who knows where this'll go?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2013 at 19:48
Finally got around to hearing all the new Altrocks. My initial thoughts:

Empty Days - Empty Days: The instrumental tracks I like a lot...the vocal ones seem a little pointless/don't add much to the overall experience. An entire album of the dark soundscape stuff would have been better IMHO. Also, not a lick of rock here.

Mirthkon - Snack(s): A good step up from Vehicle IMO. Less camp, more...substance for lack of a better word. Definitely worth a listen, even to people who are not fans.

Spaltklang - In Between: Fantastic avant-jazz that certainly reminds me of the Blast/Brown Vs Brown type compositions. Fairly high energy and complex. My favorite of the bunch.

Worm Ouroboros - Of Things That Never Were: Very impressed. Didn't really know what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised. Lovely modern prog-rock that looks forward while looking backwards. I like the guy's voice as well. Dips a little towards the middle, but overall very nice job, certainly my second fav from this batch.
LostWaxMuseum View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LostWaxMuseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2013 at 11:53
I was wondering what fans of RiO think would be the current counterpart to Rock in Opposition, if there is one? I've been a fan of Cassiber, Biota and the Art Bears for many years and I'm looking for music that's kind of along those lines, but explores new sonic territory. I'm thinking it's probably scattered, individual artists now as opposed to an organized movement. Any recommendations?
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2014 at 11:13

Just got the new rereleases of Present's first two albums on Cuneiform. They sound wonderful and there is loads of bonus material. Highly highly recommended.

On the subject of modern RIO bands my recommended list would include

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (though unfortunately no longer active)
October Equus
Yugen
Cheer-Accident
Miriodor
Thinking Plague
Mirthkon
Secret Chiefs 3
Guapo
Ian

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2014 at 14:02
Originally posted by LostWaxMuseum LostWaxMuseum wrote:

I was wondering what fans of RiO think would be the current counterpart to Rock in Opposition, if there is one? I've been a fan of Cassiber, Biota and the Art Bears for many years and I'm looking for music that's kind of along those lines, but explores new sonic territory. I'm thinking it's probably scattered, individual artists now as opposed to an organized movement. Any recommendations?

All of Toby Driver's bands.

There's also a particular movement of noisy jazz rock (best term I've heard for it is "thrash jazz") coming out of europe for the last few years - bands like Jean Louis, Zu, and Fractale off the top of my head.  I'd say that qualifies (and is awesome).

Or there's always drone metal
Udi Koomran View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udi Koomran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2014 at 23:53
My greatest discovery this year was Normal Love's Survival Tricks
 I might sound overly excited... but hey after all that's what we are here for right ? being passionate and enthusiastic about music 
How long has it been since you heard something that made you go : "what hell was that ??" meaning hearing something you are not ready for that isn't instantly "comprehended" that dropped your jaw to the floor (now when was the last time that happened... ) Something that truly sounds radical and compelling. 
For a few monthsI am trying to wrap my brain around the latest album of Normal Love - Survival Tricks and I'm still trying to put the pieces of this puzzle together heh heh 
As much as this music seems "difficult" its nevertheless captivating and highly enjoyable. One of the keys to this album's uniqueness is the sound and production. 
I was so knocked out by the creative processing and sheer imagination of the production I just had to write Marc Alan Goodman (the sound engineer ) a warm thank you note for his inspiring work. 
This album proves (at least to me) that the envelope can by pushed the glass ceiling can be broken and avant progressive can re invent itself and prove its vital and relevant.

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 00:55
I like 'em.

My mind will always link them to Zs. Especially with the heavy electronic shift they made from 2007 to Survival Tricks (like Zs did with Arms to New Slaves). I'll admit, a perhaps unfair comparison but nevertheless...
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frippism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 02:19
Got the album because of your post in avant progressive on facebook and it's fantastic. So many things going on at one moment it's impressive
There be dragons
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 144145146147148 161>