Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIO/Avant Drop-In Centre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 149150151152153 161>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesDoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2014 at 04:35
Anyone here familiar with Tipographica from Japan? They were the first RIO band I listened to, because I read that it was somehow similar to Zappa's The Grand Wazoo. Now I'm a little bit familiar with the RIO genre (looking into the classics like Henry Cow, Samla Mammas Manna, Etron Fou Leloublan, Art Bears...) and I freaking love it, but Tipographica is still one of the most unique and complex stuff that I know of.

They released 3 studio albums and one live album, unfortunately pretty hard to find and expensive since it was a Japan-only release. All albums are excellent. Their kind of RIO gets rid of the classic notions of rythm to create mental-hacking structured in destructurization jazz, mainly influenced by Henry Cow's moods and Zappa's sense of humour. I strongly recommend it, and if anyone knows of a band that plays stuff like this please tell!

Here are some songs :

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2014 at 08:44
Udi Koomran was recommending them on the Avant Progressive facebook group, I liked the samples I heard & plan to pick some up soon.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2014 at 16:47
I've only been able to find God ays I Can't Dance, but It's very excellent indeed.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
JamesDoom View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesDoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2014 at 06:16
Guitarist Tsuneo Imahori also went on to form Unbeltipo after Tipographica, more rock-focused avant-prog trio, impressive stuff but the atmosphere doesn't touch me quite as much as his former band.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 07:06
Tipographica was awesome!  The most messed-up rhythmic sensibility imaginable, but always swinging - Akira Sotoyama godlike on drums.

I've only got the God Says and Floating Opera albums, and those weren't easy to find without breaking the bank. Would highly recommend both.

Unbeltipo is also excellent but like JamesDoom I get more out of Tipographica, so would look for those first.

Another associated act is Date Course Pentagon Royal Garden (snappy name!) but I've yet to get to grips with their material. From what little I've heard it's a bit like a big band jazz take on the kind of music that Tipographica were doing - quite tasty stuff.

Edited by Mascodagama - December 28 2014 at 07:13
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 07:21
I was also going to ask if anyone here is digging Hyrrokkin's Pristine Origin album?  One of my favourites of the last year or so, turbocharged free rock with the addition of some great free jazz horns on a couple of tracks. Really like the feel of this, super angular and brain-twisting, but nice and loose at the same time.
It's streaming on a Bandcamp page:

Edited by Mascodagama - December 28 2014 at 07:21
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 09:40
An album I hope to review in the next few days is by the Mexican band ARTERIA. The leader was from the band NAZCA which is more Chamber Rock than anything else. Anyways this album is like listening to a more powerful UNIVERS ZERO. Lots of bassoon and a guitarist who plays in that avant style. Lots of atmosphere, darkness and depth to their sound. Hard to imagine me not giving this 5 stars at this point.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 09:51
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

I was also going to ask if anyone here is digging Hyrrokkin's Pristine Origin album?  One of my favourites of the last year or so, turbocharged free rock with the addition of some great free jazz horns on a couple of tracks. Really like the feel of this, super angular and brain-twisting, but nice and loose at the same time.

I bought this earlier this year, great band, remind me a lot of Many Arms and Zevious. Super intense driving twisting metal jazz. I saw them live about 2 years ago in Columbus in a Chinese restaurant with a tiny bar area. They were way too loud for such a small venue and there was only about 6 of us watching them. Terrific show. They were supporting Many Arms.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - December 28 2014 at 09:52
Ian

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 09:59
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

An album I hope to review in the next few days is by the Mexican band ARTERIA. The leader was from the band NAZCA which is more Chamber Rock than anything else. Anyways this album is like listening to a more powerful UNIVERS ZERO. Lots of bassoon and a guitarist who plays in that avant style. Lots of atmosphere, darkness and depth to their sound. Hard to imagine me not giving this 5 stars at this point.

Fantastic band, I've been stalking their facebook page in the hope of news of new material, its been three years since their debut and they seem fairly active on the live front. 

If you like Arteria & Nazca I'd recommend Culto Sin Nombre which is the band the bassoonist Juan Carlos Ruiz formed between Nazca & Arteria.
Ian

Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 13:28
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I bought this earlier this year, great band, remind me a lot of Many Arms and Zevious. Super intense driving twisting metal jazz. I saw them live about 2 years ago in Columbus in a Chinese restaurant with a tiny bar area. They were way too loud for such a small venue and there was only about 6 of us watching them. Terrific show. They were supporting Many Arms.

I know the dudes from Many Arms and the dudes from Hyrrokkin are friends with my friends in Abertooth Lincoln. Reminds me that Abertooth Lincoln is particularly awesome. They are like avant garde influenced punk. :3
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 13:47

Tipographica was awesome!  The most messed-up rhythmic sensibility imaginable, but always swinging - Akira Sotoyama godlike on drums.

I've only got the God Says and Floating Opera albums, and those weren't easy to find without breaking the bank. Would highly recommend both.

Unbeltipo is also excellent but like JamesDoom I get more out of Tipographica, so would look for those first.

Another associated act is Date Course Pentagon Royal Garden (snappy name!) but I've yet to get to grips with their material. From what little I've heard it's a bit like a big band jazz take on the kind of music that Tipographica were doing - quite tasty stuff.

Love those guys!! One of my current faves from Japan, and I gotta say, even if I do enjoy Tipographica, they're still no match for themBig smile Structure et Force is an absolute masterpiece of modern music!

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 14:10

Sounds like a cool gig, I wish we had Chinese restaurants that hosted avant rock bands here!

Mustn't grumble though, we do OK in London. I saw Zu play a few weeks ago in Camden. They rocked!
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 16:59

I like the sound of it, I'll listen to it later. Thanks.

Did this make it onto CD form (without having to buy the LP with it)??
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 17:11
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Sadly not - as far as I know it's either download only or LP / remix CD / download package. Don't think there is a CD of the straight album.

Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 17:11

Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Fantastic band, I've been stalking their facebook page in the hope of news of new material, its been three years since their debut and they seem fairly active on the live front. 

If you like Arteria & Nazca I'd recommend Culto Sin Nombre which is the band the bassoonist Juan Carlos Ruiz formed between Nazca & Arteria.

Thanks for the feedback Ian, I thought you would like Arteria, just didn't know if you knew them. I did notice that Ruiz was in Culto Sin Nombre when I was looking up the band members. I'll check them out.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
melotron98 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melotron98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 14:56
Hi, anyone listening to Ground Zero, maybe? I came across this album a few weeks ago
and it's truly insane and amazing!!! Big smileLOL What would you recommend from their discography?
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 15:07
^ That guy is a crazed genius. Check out Plays Standards. You would not believe what he does with a lot of classics.
melotron98 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melotron98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 13:19
Posted today on YT Wink
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 16:23
Originally posted by melotron98 melotron98 wrote:

Hi, anyone listening to Ground Zero, maybe? I came across this album a few weeks ago
and it's truly insane and amazing!!! Big smileLOL What would you recommend from their discography?

Null & Void  is the hallmark for noise-rock albums IMHO.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 16:23

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Sadly not - as far as I know it's either download only or LP / remix CD / download package. Don't think there is a CD of the straight album.

That's a shame!

But that's for the heads up on the band anyway. Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 149150151152153 161>