Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIO/Avant Drop-In Centre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151152153154155 161>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 16:34
History of the Visitation was one of my top 5 albums of 2013, and I think it provides an excellent point of entry to Guapo's music for non-Avant fans - mostly because, as Chris pointed out, is subtler and not as powerfully, unabashedly in-your-face as Five Suns.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 16:38
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

Originally posted by dogen dogen wrote:

Anyone got Guapo's latest, History of the Visitation? I'm quite disappointed by it. Not sure the new personnel has matched up to the previous incarnation.

Yes - and it's an album that repays repeated and close listening. I have seen the current line up perform material from it twice and I think it's the strongest incarnation of Guapo yet; Five Suns may be their most immediate album, but subsequent albums are stronger in terms of composition and subtler in terms of performance.
I am on this page as well. Different band really from Five Suns and Black Oni, with a different approach, but it's a record that has a lot of depth. Given a chance it can really grow on you. Even that little repeated ascending guitar figure that I found quite annoying to start with...now fits perfectly.

There's certainly no shortage of intensity when they play it live - I went to the album launch gig at Corsica Studios and they tore the roof off. Put it this way, when you've got James Sedwards in your band and he doesn't even play guitar, that's probably a killer band.

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 18:44

Anyone got Guapo's latest, History of the Visitation? I'm quite disappointed by it. Not sure the new personnel has matched up to the previous incarnation.

Yes - and it's an album that repays repeated and close listening. I have seen the current line up perform material from it twice and I think it's the strongest incarnation of Guapo yet; Five Suns may be their most immediate album, but subsequent albums are stronger in terms of composition and subtler in terms of performance.

Interesting. I've always thought Black Oni was their tops in terms of pure composition. This lineup is definitely subtler though. No doubt about that.

Either way, I'm looking forward to what they do next!
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syzygy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 15:22
I was at Corsica Studios as well, as indeed was Daevid Allen - they tore the roof off that night, and Stars in Battledress were pretty impressive too.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 16:55

I was at Corsica Studios as well, as indeed was Daevid Allen - they tore the roof off that night, and Stars in Battledress were pretty impressive too.

I noticed a guy who looked like he might be Daevid Allen. Then later realised that it was.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 00:57

Gong were supposed to perform in Israel last year but canceled because of Allen's health situation, the concert as for now is postponed. Can't wait to see them again! Last time they came was with Steve Hillage about 3 or 4 years ago and that was one hell of a show!
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syzygy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 05:45
He and Kavus Torabi had already become firm friends, although I don't think Kavus had joined Gong at that point. Daevid Allen stays in East London when he's in the UK, and shortly before the Guapo album launch the pair of them were somewhat inebriated in Cafe Oto when Korekyojin played there. Daevid Allen has some impressively funky dance moves for a man in his 70s!

Edited by Syzygy - February 01 2015 at 02:20
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 07:07
My latest order from Wayside

Zamla Mammaz Manna - Schlagerns Mystik / For Aldre Nybegynnare
Samla Mammas Manna / Gregory Allan Fitzpatrick - Snorungarnas Symfoni 
Etron Fou Leloublan - Face aux Elements Dechaines 
Etron Fou Leloublan - Les Poumons Gonfles 
Slapp Happy - Desperate Straights

The ZMM/SMM have just had their prices slashed by 50% and the Etron Fou Leloublan haven't been readily available for a while.

Grab them while you can.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
melotron98 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melotron98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 07:15
Nice to know but shipping to Poland is expensive. Unhappy Did you listen to the new Unit Wail's album? Is it worth buying?
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 07:30
I think the latest Unit Wail is probably their strongest, highly recommended.
Ian

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 08:33

That was my reaction.  I should try to give it another listen soon.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 21:51
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

That was my reaction.  I should try to give it another listen soon.

It's certainly a different animal than 5 Suns & Black Oni but I like it a lot, it was my album of the year in 2013 and the bonus dvd of the 5 Suns performance at NF is outstanding.
Ian

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 11:58
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Zamla Mammaz Manna - Schlagerns Mystik / For Aldre Nybegynnare
Although I love Family Cracks, Schlagerns Mystik was hard for me to get into, I guess it was mainly because of the vocals. I don't mind silliness in music at all but that was unappealing to me Embarrassed 
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gully Foyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 14:17
Etron Fou Leloublan - Les Poumons Gonfles 

fantastic album
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 21:24
Originally posted by melotron98 melotron98 wrote:

Nice to know but shipping to Poland is expensive. Unhappy Did you listen to the new Unit Wail's album? Is it worth buying?

Mpst definitely.

I've only listened once...so I still prefer the debut, but there is some sublime moments on this one. 
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 21:24

Thoughts? 
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 21:35
Ill tell you when it gets here, :)
Ian

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 21:45
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Thoughts? 

Pretty different from other Samla, more accessible & laid back, I like it. This is probably the favorite of the last order - Zamla Mammaz Manna - Schlagerns Mystik 

These just showed up on Wayside, quite pricing but been unavailable for a while

X-Legged Sally - Killed By Charity 
X-Legged Sally - Land Of The Giant Dwarves 

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - April 02 2015 at 21:47
Ian

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 21:36
^ Atually, I found it on youtube. Tongue I agree with your assessment. It's good and enjoyable but doesn't roll over my dead grandma if you know what I mean. 

And damn! I've been hoping for X-Legged Sally reissues for years. Now I gotta figure out which ones I want. 
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2015 at 14:49
Speaking of X-Legged Sally I just found this box set on Igloo:

Box contains: a new concept album from Flat Earth Society, a FES live album and a XLS "best of" compilation on CD; download codes for 5 XLS and 7 FES albums in hi-res format (unspecified what format); and a poster. This for €45.

Damn, I think I gotta have it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151152153154155 161>