Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIO/Avant Drop-In Centre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 152153154155156 161>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2015 at 14:54
I finally found my vinyl copy of the Samla Mammas Manna debut! Underneath my dad's old cowboy boots in a closet at my parent's place....now how the hell did it find it's way there?!?!?

Anyway, I can't wait to get home to my apartment to pop this mother on the stereo. Wuuuuhi!! Feels like I just received a brand new album.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2015 at 21:43
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Speaking of X-Legged Sally I just found this box set on Igloo:

Box contains: a new concept album from Flat Earth Society, a FES live album and a XLS "best of" compilation on CD; download codes for 5 XLS and 7 FES albums in hi-res format (unspecified what format); and a poster. This for €45.

Damn, I think I gotta have it.

A bit of an odd package, if I do say  so myself. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2015 at 21:46
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I finally found my vinyl copy of the Samla Mammas Manna debut! Underneath my dad's old cowboy boots in a closet at my parent's place....now how the hell did it find it's way there?!?!?

Anyway, I can't wait to get home to my apartment to pop this mother on the stereo. Wuuuuhi!! Feels like I just received a brand new album.

Thumbs Up
schizoidman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schizoidman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 00:20
Truly a crime that the Orange Tulip Conspiracy album is so overlooked. My fav song from it:

Making the useless useful 24/7.
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frippism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 01:06
^ such a great album! Best thing Jason Schimmel's done.
There be dragons
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 05:55
Great album though I actually prefer Atomic Ape just for the vibe.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schizoidman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 22:59
Originally posted by frippism frippism wrote:

^ such a great album! Best thing Jason Schimmel's done.

I, too, have been following Jason's musical journey's from Estradasphere to Secret Chiefs 3 to Orange Tulip Conspiracy to Atomic Ape. To my ears the guy and his band mates seem to create at least a couple of classic songs on just about every release. 

I agree with you that OTC is the best overall album of the Estrasphere/SC3/OTC/AA group. But such great compositions and performances as Corporate Merger, Palace of Mirrors, Mekapses Yitonisa, Hardball, Exodus, Barakiel, Labbiel, Heraklion and Refraction cannot be overlooked. 

Jason is the American version of Steven Wilson.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schizoidman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 23:06
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

The Atomic Ape album is very, very good but for whatever reason I'm more partial to the Orange Tulip Conspiracy record.

From www.atomicapeband.com site:
Upon completion of two US tours with underground legends, Secret Chiefs 3, 2014 proved to be our busiest year yet. Directly following our last tour, we went straight into the studio to lay down the tracks for our second full length album. The album was recorded live to 2" tape in San Francisco's own Lucky Cat Studios. Stay tuned for more updates as we complete the album!
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frippism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 01:35
Y'know for some reason Estradasphere has yet to really click with me, even though at least on paper they have a lot of similarities to SC3 who are one of my favorites... 
There be dragons
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 06:00

Y'know for some reason Estradasphere has yet to really click with me, even though at least on paper they have a lot of similarities to SC3 who are one of my favorites... 

Estradasphere has one album which is far better than the rest, if you've already heard Palace Of Mirrors than I have nothing to add but if you haven't than check it out, it is superb all the way with so many genres mixed together, highly recommended!
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 09:06
Originally posted by schizoidman schizoidman wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

The Atomic Ape album is very, very good but for whatever reason I'm more partial to the Orange Tulip Conspiracy record.

From www.atomicapeband.com site:
Upon completion of two US tours with underground legends, Secret Chiefs 3, 2014 proved to be our busiest year yet. Directly following our last tour, we went straight into the studio to lay down the tracks for our second full length album. The album was recorded live to 2" tape in San Francisco's own Lucky Cat Studios. Stay tuned for more updates as we complete the album!

That's great news, hopefully they'll hit Boston on a tour to promote the next album, Boston was one of the cities they missed on the last SC3 tour.
Ian

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 16:07
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Estradasphere has one album which is far better than the rest, if you've already heard Palace Of Mirrors than I have nothing to add but if you haven't than check it out, it is superb all the way with so many genres mixed together, highly recommended!

It's true. That album is nearly flawless.

I'd throw a bone to their debut, as it's the only album from them I like all the way through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schizoidman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 23:08
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Agree that Palace of Mirrors is superb with the other albums each having a few great songs mixed with stuff that I don't really listen to all that much.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 04:46
The new Guapo is now up on Wayside. There's also a snippet on Soundcloud:

I'm not blown away by the sample on a first listening; the opening passage particularly is a bit retro-sympho for my taste. Though things look up when we get the repetitve Rhodes vamp kicking in around 3'.

I'll be getting the CD anyway. Usually my view on a Guapo album will change quite a lot over multiple listens. Took a while to get into History of the Visitation, and that's probably my favourite now.

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 18:18
Just got the new Guapo today and its blowing me away, stunningly layered and heavy as hell, monstrous.
Ian

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 19:04
Planning to get it in my next wayside order. Didn't anticipate it being released so soon...but no complaints!
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 21:09
If you're a fan of brutal prog the latest Upsilon Acrux is outstanding
Ian

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 21:53
Already bought. Thumbs Up

I do like it...this band is at their best with two drummers in it.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 05:43
Recommended Records have some t-shirts for sale from the Lindsay Cooper tribute concert last November in Italy.  Here is the link:

http://www.rermegacorp.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Category_Code=&Product_Code=LCTEESHIRT&Store_Code=RM
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2015 at 23:30
Yoshi posted on facebook that a new Korekyojinn album is due out on 6/20!

I, for one, am very excited about it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 152153154155156 161>