Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIO/Avant Drop-In Centre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 154155156157158 161>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2016 at 15:38
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 12:27
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Yugen:
https://altrockproductions.bandcamp....death-by-water

Panzerpappa:
https://altrockproductions.bandcamp....estrottedans-2

Hell yeah baby!!

I can feel myself building up to one of those big splurgy Altr0ck orders...
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2016 at 15:32

ClapClap

I like them both. Panzerpappa's seems a step up from their previous, and Yugen is still ridiing their wave of awesome.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2016 at 19:48
Posted elsewhere but deserves sharing here, new release upcoming from Soleil Zeuhl, One Shot related since their breakup, should be a highlight

Ian

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2016 at 22:21
^ Nice!  ill be buying
Kilgore Trout View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilgore Trout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2016 at 08:09
Could anyone recommend some good recent RIO ? (more on the Univers Zero side than the happier side of the genre) 

Thank you.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2016 at 15:21
For those not on his email list, a new CD from Angel Ontalva is coming at the end of the month:

Originally posted by Angel Ontalva Angel Ontalva wrote:

Rich, colourful and textural, OBO is an open project based on carefully constructed improvisation, with strong roots in folkjazz and experimental rock.

Here you can listen to one of the pieces:

The sax player Alexey Kruglov is a prominent personality in the current avant-jazz Moscow scene. Anastasiya Masloboeva is an Irkutsk-based singer-dulcimer player who has developed a unique approach to improvisation with strong russian folk influences.
Vasco Trilla is a portuguese-catalonian drummer specialized in very subtle sonorities and textures obtained with almost any possible object, and Ángel Ontalva uses alternative tuningselectronic manipulations and extended techniques together with a musical vocabulary developed through years of collaborations with musicians from many different cultures.

OBO - "Palace of Waiting" oXaRus 01 will be available in the end of June as a digipack glassmastered CD in a 200 copies ltd edition. You can make a pre-order now for 10 euros, shipping included, to our PayPal account: [email protected] 

Anything he deems worth of a physical release on octoberXart is an autobuy for me at this point.

Edited by Mascodagama - June 08 2016 at 15:22
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2016 at 15:40
Originally posted by Kilgore Trout Kilgore Trout wrote:

Could anyone recommend some good recent RIO ? (more on the Univers Zero side than the happier side of the genre) 

Thank you.

You could try Blituri:

They aren't as gloomy as UZ can be - but definitely a serious, modern composition vibe.

Edited by Mascodagama - June 08 2016 at 15:45
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2016 at 16:56
Originally posted by Kilgore Trout Kilgore Trout wrote:

Thank you.

I might be stretching the limits of 'recent' but:

Arteria
October Equus (especially the album 'Saturnal')
Amygdala (especially the album 'Complex Combat')
Combat Astronomy
Five Story Ensemble (although more chambery than rocky) 
Rational Diet
The Archestra
Athanor
Zaar
Finnegan's Wake (especially the album 'Blue')
Unit Wail (although more Zeuhly)

Additionally, the label 'AltRock' is excellent in skimming the waters of all things avant and has their entire discog available for streaming on Bandcamp.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2016 at 17:20
AltrOck does have some outstanding releases in the RIO?Avant vein. Some recent favourites:

Reve General
Mamma Non Piangere
Factor Burzaco
Empty Days (a project of Yugen's guitarist Francesco Zago)
Humble Grumble
The Loomings

They can all be listened to on the label's Bandcamp page (http://altrockproductions.bandcamp.com/)

Edited by Raff - June 08 2016 at 17:22
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2016 at 17:37
Man With Hats recos are outstanding especially the Arteria
Ian

Kilgore Trout View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilgore Trout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2016 at 09:03
Thank you.

I already knew several bands on these lists, but didn't know about others (especially the ones on AltrOck).

Edited by Kilgore Trout - June 09 2016 at 11:07
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2016 at 08:30
Ian

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2016 at 14:45
Two rather excellent releases this week

Corima - Amaterasu
Ian

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2017 at 13:34
one track from the upcoming Thinking Plague album is up on soundcloud

Blurb

Thinking Plague, "The Echoes Of Their Cries" from 'Hoping Against Hope' (out 2/10/2017 on Cuneiform Records)

Clouds scud across a storm-wracked sky, but while briefly exposing rare shards of blue, most often, blacker, gloomier grays lurk behind the mists.

Sometimes a work of art enables us to articulate our thoughts and feelings in times of upheaval and chaos. In an era when the world has seemingly come off its hinges, an album like Hoping Against Hope offers listeners the consolation that they are not alone. But more than that, this intellectually complex work offers tools to help us make sense, affectively at least, of the whole sorry mess.

Thinking Plague is a storied band, whose thirty-five year history has seen it cleave consistently to the extreme limits of what is possible to do within rock music. Much of the music it released has owed more to traditions external to rock, such as folk, chamber music, and particularly, the avant-garde tradition of twentieth-century classical music.

Thinking Plague are often cited as the leading light of the American arm of the ‘Rock In Opposition’ movement, genre-defying and, above all, unique.

The arrangements we hear on Hoping Against Hope are those we will hear live. Even when singer Elaine di Falco’s accordion is written and recorded in multiple voices, the parts are realizable by a single instrument.

Leader and composer Mike Johnson and newest member Bill Pohl’s tightly scored twin guitars are panned out wide enough for the listener to balance the pursuit of an individual voice against the ensemble texture, which is the creative focus, a carefully crafted polyphony served by each instrumental voice. Pohl’s addition brings a second electric guitar to the texture for the first time, enabling more sinuous scoring, rather than making the sound more ‘rock’.

There is a familiar vocabulary in play, a harmonic palette and a phraseology that has evolved considerably over the band’s lifespan without extreme points of rupture, despite major changes and sometimes long gaps between releases; this is clearly the same band that we heard in the 1980s, but Johnson is writing from a creative position that is fruitfully removed from that he occupied even four years ago. As demanding as this music may be, it is made to sound easy, and more importantly, beautiful.

Ian

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2017 at 14:03
^  That is excellent news and a really good track Thumbs Up
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2017 at 14:05
Here is something that is the definite shizzle for those into the 'art song' / chamber end of the spectrum:

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2017 at 14:21
That's in my list of top albums of the year, its the dogs bollocks.
Ian

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2017 at 14:27
^ It'll be in mine too if I ever get round to making one...
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2017 at 14:27
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

one track from the upcoming Thinking Plague album is up on soundcloud

Blurb

Thinking Plague, "The Echoes Of Their Cries" from 'Hoping Against Hope' (out 2/10/2017 on Cuneiform Records)

Clouds scud across a storm-wracked sky, but while briefly exposing rare shards of blue, most often, blacker, gloomier grays lurk behind the mists.

Sometimes a work of art enables us to articulate our thoughts and feelings in times of upheaval and chaos. In an era when the world has seemingly come off its hinges, an album like Hoping Against Hope offers listeners the consolation that they are not alone. But more than that, this intellectually complex work offers tools to help us make sense, affectively at least, of the whole sorry mess.

Thinking Plague is a storied band, whose thirty-five year history has seen it cleave consistently to the extreme limits of what is possible to do within rock music. Much of the music it released has owed more to traditions external to rock, such as folk, chamber music, and particularly, the avant-garde tradition of twentieth-century classical music.

Thinking Plague are often cited as the leading light of the American arm of the ‘Rock In Opposition’ movement, genre-defying and, above all, unique.

The arrangements we hear on Hoping Against Hope are those we will hear live. Even when singer Elaine di Falco’s accordion is written and recorded in multiple voices, the parts are realizable by a single instrument.

Leader and composer Mike Johnson and newest member Bill Pohl’s tightly scored twin guitars are panned out wide enough for the listener to balance the pursuit of an individual voice against the ensemble texture, which is the creative focus, a carefully crafted polyphony served by each instrumental voice. Pohl’s addition brings a second electric guitar to the texture for the first time, enabling more sinuous scoring, rather than making the sound more ‘rock’.

There is a familiar vocabulary in play, a harmonic palette and a phraseology that has evolved considerably over the band’s lifespan without extreme points of rupture, despite major changes and sometimes long gaps between releases; this is clearly the same band that we heard in the 1980s, but Johnson is writing from a creative position that is fruitfully removed from that he occupied even four years ago. As demanding as this music may be, it is made to sound easy, and more importantly, beautiful.

Nice. good to see this coming out. Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 154155156157158 161>