Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIO/Avant Drop-In Centre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 138139140141142 161>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2012 at 19:34
Thinking Plague has always been among my favorite RIO bands.  "In Extremis" totally rocked my world when it came out.  It remains my favorite.  I've barely given the next two albums a chance, and I'm ashamed of myself for that.  But I did buy them, and they're waiting patiently on the shelf for me to come around.  I do like Decline and Fall; but a History of Madness just kind of left me cold at first.

"In this Life" has always played second fiddle to Extremis for me, even though it's possibly the more "quintessential" Thinking Plague album, inasmuch as Bob Drake plays a large part on it.  But you're right Jon, the first half of Extremis is damn near unbeatable.  I really like their first two albums too (compiled on "Early Plague Years"); their skill at making something grand on a shoestring budget is in high evidence there, and Drake plays an even greater hand in the composition of pieces than he does later on.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2012 at 19:46
Avant that is rocking my world at the moment:-

MoeTar (Oakland) - Saw them in Chicago recently and their CD From These Small Seed is excellent song based avant.
Henry Cow - Concerts, the more I listen to this band the deeper my appreciation gets
Arteria (Mexico) - Cuatro Visiones - recent release from former members of Nazca, Iconoclasta and Culto Sin Nombre, wonderful UZ style Chamber Rock

You can't go wrong with 5UU's and Thinking Plague. I recently been heavily getting into TP connected projects - 3 Mice, Hamster Theater, Dave Willey & Friends and Ligeia Mare.
avalanchemaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalanchemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2012 at 20:25
ALL 5UUs is excellent!  Thinking Plague might just be my favorite RIO band... I was at one time selling most of their discs.  Look in my signature to find my amazon.com sales page... Might find some audio morsels to suit your pallet...

the one I have for sale is History of Madness...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000C0FAV?ie=UTF8&seller=APCTMIN53T18W&sn=Avalanchemaster (copy and paste- link chain service not working...)

I really like Steven Kovacs Tickmayer and The Science Group.  Check 'em if you haven't.

Edited by avalanchemaster - September 04 2012 at 20:29
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2012 at 20:56
3 Mice!  I've been pondering submitting them for RIO/Avant, but I haven't found any tracks online.  Help?
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2012 at 21:18
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

3 Mice!  I've been pondering submitting them for RIO/Avant, but I haven't found any tracks online.  Help?

Check out these samples from Udi Koomran

http://soundcloud.com/udi-koomran/sets/3-mice-send-me-a-postcard-1/

It's a lovely album

SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2012 at 21:35
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Ligeia Mare.

Don't think I've heard of this group before...what are they all about?

Also, I've recently ordered some stuff from the younger generation of Avant rockers...Afuche's two albums, most specifically, plus 1870's debut.  I'm curious to see what they're all like, and couldn't beat the price.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2012 at 21:47
Ligeia Mare (from their facebook page)

"Ligeia Mare is a loose aggregation of musicians within the Boulder/ Denver area who convene to create spontaneous original music.

The group was spawned by the successful collaboration between Farrell Lowe and Dave Willey in a modern dance production at the University of Colorado."

They do some very interesting performance art film soundtrack style stuff, very different from other projects I associate with Dave Willey. Sort of stuff you need a dark room & let it wash over you.

Must admit I like it a lot but it's well outside my normal comfort zone.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - September 04 2012 at 21:48
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2012 at 21:50
Afuche are terrific, saw them at Cuneifest last year & they blew me away, their most recent disc has been in heavy rotation & I've just ordered their first one.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2012 at 22:17
I just saw one of those videos posted in the avant progressive group I'm in on Facebook.  Never checked it out yet (can't yet right now either, since I'm doing homework), but I will do so soon. 
RedNightmareKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedNightmareKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2012 at 23:06
I'm not majorly into the RIO movement. A good friend of mine got me into a lot of Zappa, Henry Cow, Residents, and John Zorn, but that's really the extent of it.  I know it was VERY important, but sometimes I feel the music gets really... I dunno, weird. That's a terrible way of putting it, but it's just my opinion. 
I consider drone metal to be progressive...
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2012 at 23:26
Originally posted by RedNightmareKing RedNightmareKing wrote:

I'm not majorly into the RIO movement. A good friend of mine got me into a lot of Zappa, Henry Cow, Residents, and John Zorn, but that's really the extent of it.  I know it was VERY important, but sometimes I feel the music gets really... I dunno, weird. That's a terrible way of putting it, but it's just my opinion. 

You say weird as if it's a bad thing. Wink
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 18:13
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Afuche are terrific, saw them at Cuneifest last year & they blew me away, their most recent disc has been in heavy rotation & I've just ordered their first one.

I didn't even bother making a post about it outside of the team thread, but I just noticed a week or so ago that they weren't on PA yet.  So I've put them up for addition, they seem like a total no-brainer.  Got both CDs in the mail today, so I'm listening starting with the debut.  It's pretty sweet so far. Clap
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2012 at 21:07
This intrigues me:

I love the disjointedness of this band's sound.  I'll probably look into ordering the album next time I get myself some music.

And I found this one through that one, will probably also look into some of this group:

Edited by SaltyJon - September 07 2012 at 21:13
N-sz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-sz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2012 at 22:08
I love RIO from what I've heard so far, but I haven't heard a whole lot yet. I've become obsessed with Slapp Happy and pretty much everything Dagmar Krause does in the last year. Would Slapp Happy be considered RIO? I know they're closely associated with other RIO bands, but I'm not really sure if they are (except of course during their collaboration with Henry Cow).
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2012 at 13:33
I don't know if this has been posted, but here is a link to lots of songs that Udi Koomran mastered over the last two years for Soleil Zeuhl.

And I'm sure you've all seen the recent releases from SZ--that Corima album sounds amazing!

And of course, a new issue of Dun.
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2012 at 21:04
Yeah, those are available on Wayside soon...may be making an order to pick up some I've wanted for a while plus one or two of this batch of SZ.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2012 at 01:03
RIOfest happening...certainly males in possession of headware not there. Disapprove
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2012 at 17:18
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

RIOfest happening...certainly males in possession of headware not there. Disapprove
I was F'ing fantastic, I had a wonderful weekend.

30000 ft review

Firstly - loads of wonderful friendly people there, met old friends and made new ones so a wonderful experience before the music even started.

Day 1
Kafka - interesting experimental opening with ambience flowing to post rock power. Enjoyable B+
Caravan - strangely lacking presence even though I'm a big fan, loved the old stuff including epc 9ft Underground B-
One Shot - wonderful instrumental zeuhl extremely heavy and in the pocket all night . Excellent A
Day 2
Spoke Orchestra - French slam poetry would have been better if I understood French only lasted 2 songs as did many D
We Insist - straight ahead good post rock with energetic vocalist drummer. Enjoyable B+
Thinking Plague - spectacularly wonderful performance, much stronger than Cuneiform where Elaine was I'll. Magnificent A+
Magma - speechless ....... A+++
Day 3
RIO movie - excellently received very well executed with cameo from Englishman in UZ shirt drinking beer
C Vander masterclass - interesting
FAT32 - high energy keyboards and drums duo with masses of energy and humor. Entertaining B
Eric Baron - ambient electronic soundscapes - very Zen B

The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2012 at 17:38
Just recently purchased my first real RIO album in UZ's Heatwave, after hearing a discussion in one of the 80's polls about the song Funeral Plain.  Thinking of picking up UZed next.  Maybe checking out some Cow.

Plenty of Magma and Caravan in my collection, but wouldn't exactly call them RIO.  LOL
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2012 at 19:09
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Just recently purchased my first real RIO album in UZ's Heatwave, after hearing a discussion in one of the 80's polls about the song Funeral Plain.  Thinking of picking up UZed next.  Maybe checking out some Cow.

Plenty of Magma and Caravan in my collection, but wouldn't exactly call them RIO.  LOL
Magma can definitely be counted amongst the avant scene even if they have their own genre, zeuhl. Caravan definitely not, I think they were there more to boost ticket sales rather than for their RIO quotient. The same thing happened last year with Belgian Lounge Singer Arno, at least Caravan appealed more to this audience.

Some of this years bands were distinctly odd selections with a smell of being booked to fill out a bill and being cheap to book. The top three bands were outstanding so I have no complaints of how Michel goes about making the financials work.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 138139140141142 161>