Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIO/Avant Drop-In Centre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 146147148149150 161>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progrockdeepcuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 20:11
With Cardiacs, it's hard to go wrong with "A Little Man and A House ... ". It's probably my favorite and an excellent starting point. "On Land" is great, too, but a *lot* heavier and the production isn't as good IMO. Most people will tell you that "Sing to God" is their masterpiece; it took me a long time to get into it, but now I'm a huge fan. Still, the production makes it very fatiguing to listen to for long periods of time.

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 21:42
Just heard from the Arteria guys that a new album will be out early next year, woo woo.

One of the new tracks

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - August 04 2014 at 21:58
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 22:05
Excellent!

Their first was quite impressive.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
melotron98 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melotron98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 15:04
Sounds interestingly. I have to check their debut album. What do you think about Nullstellensatz?
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 15:29
Originally posted by melotron98 melotron98 wrote:

Sounds interestingly. I have to check their debut album. What do you think about Nullstellensatz?

I saw them a couple of years ago at RIO and they were really interesting, I haven't got round to picking anything up yet.
Ian

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melotron98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 05:27
Could you give some recommendations for RIO/  Zeuhl? It is one of my favourite prog subgenres and I want to listen to more such a music. Via this thread I found e.g. Caillou and Atomic Ape and I really enjoy them. Below I wrote what I know from RIO:

Univers Zero - full discography
Art Zoyd -  all up to Berlin (chonologically)
Present - full
Etron Fuo Leloublan - Batelages
Henry Cow - full
Samla Mammas Manna - Maltid
Thinking Plague In Extremis
Uz Jsme Doma Uprostred Slov, Caves
Aranis Aranis
Miriodor Mekano
Atomic Ape Swarm
U Totem U Totem
Cardiacs  A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window 

Please suggest something. I want a lot of RIO music! LOL

Edited by melotron98 - August 12 2014 at 05:42
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 05:58
^ Have you tried Fred Frith solo?  I highly recommend "Gravity", "Speechless", and "Step Across the Border" from his solo career.  The latter is a film soundtrack about Frith, and acts as a nice sampler of several of his projects.  The first two are fully realized band albums, as good as anything Cow did.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 20:25
Well if you like Atomic Ape you should really check out Secret Chiefs 3 who are outstanding

Also from the list you posted

Thinking Plague - Decline & Fall and History Of Madness then work backwards
Miriodor - Avanti!, Cobra Fakir then work backwards
Zamla Mammaz Manna - Familjesprickor
Cardiacs - Sing To God & On Land And In The Sea

You don't list any Magma, you can't really do Zeuhl without Magma, checkout Hhai (Live), Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh, Kohntarkosz

Also check out

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
Cheer-Accident
Hamster Theater
Dr Nerve
October Equus
Rational Diet
5UU's
DAAU
Finnegans Wake
Arteria
Yugen
Archaia
Corima
Bondage Fruit
Happy Family
Eskaton
Guapo
Koenjihyakkei
Scherzoo
Setna
Unit Wail
Shub Niggurath

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - August 12 2014 at 20:29
Ian

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melotron98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 03:13
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

You don't list any Magma, you can't really do Zeuhl without Magma, checkout Hhai (Live), Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh, Kohntarkosz
As I wrote in the previous post, the list contains only RIO albums. Of course I know Magma (how couldn't I know them?! Ouch), Shub Niggurath (only Les Morts Vont Vite but I'll check the other albums), Eskaton (only 4 Visions), Weidorje etc. Some time ago I started listenning to Koenjihyakkei's Angherr Shissipa and it is OK. Thank you for the list, I believe I'll find there a lot of amazing stuff. From Guapo I know Five Suns and History of Visitation but I forgot to mention them.

HolyMoly, thanks for Fred Frith recommendation, Gravity sounds great! Thumbs Up
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 03:59

Birdsongs Of The Mesozoic

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 06:03
Originally posted by melotron98 melotron98 wrote:

Shub Niggurath (only Les Morts Vont Vite but I'll check the other albums), Eskaton (only 4 Visions), Weidorje etc. Some time ago I started listenning to Koenjihyakkei's Angherr Shissipa and it is OK. Thank you for the list, I believe I'll find there a lot of amazing stuff. From Guapo I know Five Suns and History of Visitation but I forgot to mention them.

If you have Shub Niggurath - Les Morts Vont Vite youhave the best one, the only other one I like is Introduction but it does share one track "Yog Sototh". I'd avoid the others
Ian

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 07:42
Just posted to AltrOck's facebook page

Some of our most known artists are coming back and new exciting entries will be added to our roster.
Here we go...the next releases are:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tornano alcuni tra i nomi più noti e riconosciuti di AltrOck / Fading assieme a nuove realtà che impreziosiranno il nostro roster.
Allacciate le cinture... ecco le nostre prossi...me uscite:

Alco Frisbass
Breznev fun club “Il misantropo felice”
Ciccada – “The finest of miracles”
Homunculus Res - New album
La Coscienza di Zeno – “La notte anche di giorno”
Not a Good Sign – New album
Simon Steensland – “A Farewell to Brains”
Syndone "Melapesante" reissue, remastered +bonus
The Blue Ship "Executioner's lover"
Yugen – New album

I'm particularly excited by the Yugen, Simon Steensland & Not A Good Sign.
Ian

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melotron98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 09:49
Yes, I found the information about Yugen on their facebok fanpage about two weeks ago.
Oh, and I bought two Unit Wail's albums. Thanks Ian for recommenadiation, their music sounds great! Thumbs Up
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 11:14
Anyone thinking of buying Univers Zero material from Cuneiform/Wayside better get their orders in the week, Steve Feigenbaum just posted this :-

In approximately one week, all rights to all of our Univers Zero titles will revert to the band.

At that time, we will immediately take them down from our bandcamp page, so if you want them, you should get them right now:
https://cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.com/

At that time, we will instruct all 3rd party digital providers (e-music, Amazon digital, iTunes, etc) to take them down, so, once again, if you want them, you should act soon.

We will still have the rights to sell what we have in stock in physical form until they are gone. In some cases we don't have very many, and, in yet one more final 'again', you should not wait too long if you are interested in these.
http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Departments/UZ.aspx

Thank you for your interest.
Ian

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 14:54
"in stock in physical form until they are gone"

That is the more troubling thing in the above IMO.

Any reason why? Is UZ planning to re-release them themselves?
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 15:10
Only speculation but sounds like a falling out between the label & band.
Ian

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 16:00
Ahh. Understandable. I guess this explains the previous album being released solely on a Japanese label.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 13:43
Well, Relaps is about to be released as a LP on the Belgian label Sub Rosa.
A hint to the future of UZ's discography?
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 20:25
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Just posted to AltrOck's facebook page

<SPAN id=fbPhotoSnowliftCaption =fbPhotosPhotoCaption =0 aria-live=polite -ft='"tn":"K"'><SPAN =hasCaption>
<DIV ="text_exposed_root text_exposed">Some of our most known artists are coming back and new exciting entries will be added to our roster.Here we go...the next releases are:<SPAN>--------------------------</SPAN><WBR></WBR><SPAN =word_break></SPAN><SPAN>--------------------------</SPAN><WBR></WBR><SPAN =word_break></SPAN><SPAN>--------------------------</SPAN><WBR></WBR><SPAN =word_break></SPAN>------Tornano alcuni tra i nomi più noti e riconosciuti di AltrOck / Fading assieme a nuove realtà che impreziosiranno il nostro roster. Allacciate le cinture... ecco le nostre prossi<SPAN =text_exposed_hide>...</SPAN><SPAN =text_exposed_show>me uscite:Alco FrisbassBreznev fun club “Il misantropo felice”Ciccada – “The finest of miracles”Homunculus Res - New albumLa Coscienza di Zeno – “La notte anche di giorno”Not a Good Sign – New albumSimon Steensland – “A Farewell to Brains” Syndone "Melapesante" reissue, remastered +bonusThe Blue Ship "Executioner's lover"Yugen – New album</SPAN>

<DIV ="text_exposed_root text_exposed"><SPAN =text_exposed_show></SPAN> 
<DIV ="text_exposed_root text_exposed"><SPAN =text_exposed_show>I'm particularly excited by the Yugen, Simon Steensland & Not A Good Sign.</SPAN></SPAN></SPAN>

I'm liking the look of a many of those.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 20:26
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Well, Relaps is about to be released as a LP on the Belgian label Sub Rosa. A hint to the future of UZ's discography?

I wouldn't mind that, as long as future things aren't vinyl only.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 146147148149150 161>