Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIO/Avant Drop-In Centre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 161>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote song_of_copper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 14:06
Originally posted by James James wrote:

The first description also sounds like Shub-Niggurath who sound nothing like Guapo. Wink

Listen the guitar on Shub-Niggurath albums, it's even more agony (but good agony) than Trigaux. Big%20smile

I listened to Shub-Niggurath's third album earlier and oh my... it's quite a departure from Les Morts Vont Vite yet it's utterly brilliant as well!

It goes further way from chamber prog and sounds completely alien.  It sounds far less structured and melodic but I love the chaotic madness!

It's a push for me, as to whether it's darker than Les Morts Vont Vite or not... but oh my, is it a good album!

Just be careful though... don't expect a follow-on from Les Mort Vont Vite (or the self-titled debut), this is proper avant-prog.  This is noisey, harsh, unmelodic, clinical and clunky.  I love it!

Oh well, at least I tried!! Tongue  Music is 'as hard to describe as the taste of strawberries'. Wink

I haven't heard Shub-Niggurath yet... Cry  Soon, I hope!  They are starting to look essential...

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 14:07
Originally posted by song_of_copper song_of_copper wrote:

The first description also sounds like Shub-Niggurath who sound nothing like Guapo. Wink

Listen the guitar on Shub-Niggurath albums, it's even more agony (but good agony) than Trigaux. Big%20smile

I listened to Shub-Niggurath's third album earlier and oh my... it's quite a departure from Les Morts Vont Vite yet it's utterly brilliant as well!

It goes further way from chamber prog and sounds completely alien.  It sounds far less structured and melodic but I love the chaotic madness!

It's a push for me, as to whether it's darker than Les Morts Vont Vite or not... but oh my, is it a good album!

Just be careful though... don't expect a follow-on from Les Mort Vont Vite (or the self-titled debut), this is proper avant-prog.  This is noisey, harsh, unmelodic, clinical and clunky.  I love it!

Oh well, at least I tried!! Tongue  Music is 'as hard to describe as the taste of strawberries'. Wink

I haven't heard Shub-Niggurath yet... Cry  Soon, I hope!  They are starting to look essential...

Les Morts Vont Vite will suit you very nicely.  Wink
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 14:09
Aksak Maboul is a really great band.  I am thoroughly enjoying both their albums - currently listening to their debut, Onze Danses Pour Combattre La Migraine, and it's a varied and interesting work, borrows from a lot of different styles.
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rileydog22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 14:13

Present features Daniel Denis, who was drummer of UZ, so they sound similar... but UZ have more brass, whilst Present are more guitar orientated.  Infact, they're more electrified.

I'm reminded of that "it's just a bunch of wining trumpets" guy, because UZ doesn't actually feature any brass at all.  Not until Heatwave anyways.  n00b. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rileydog22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 14:13
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Aksak Maboul is a really great band.  I am thoroughly enjoying both their albums - currently listening to their debut, Onze Danses Pour Combattre La Migraine, and it's a varied and interesting work, borrows from a lot of different styles.

Onze Danses is pretty much the greatest thing ever. 

VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 14:17
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

Present features Daniel Denis, who was drummer of UZ, so they sound similar... but UZ have more brass, whilst Present are more guitar orientated.  Infact, they're more electrified.

I'm reminded of that "it's just a bunch of wining trumpets" guy, because UZ doesn't actually feature any brass at all.  Not until Heatwave anyways.  n00b. 

You spotted my deliberate mistake. Wink
song_of_copper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote song_of_copper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 14:29

Well, Pat, if you like it... what's the statistical likelihood that I'll like it as well...? Ermm

Almost certainly, going by recent experience! LOL
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 14:32

Well, Pat, if you like it... what's the statistical likelihood that I'll like it as well...? Ermm

Almost certainly, going by recent experience! LOL

I've only listened to it a couple of times, but it is very dark.
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pnoom! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 15:21
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

Onze Danses is pretty much the greatest thing ever. 

Except the second album is significantly better.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rileydog22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 16:10
Nah.  The first album had character, a unique feel, a sort of charming naivete to it that I really like.  The second album was just a clusterf**k of RIO musicians stomping on Hollander and Kenis.  It's a decent album, but not nearly as good as the first.  

Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pnoom! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 16:29
The first album also has a bunch of duds and doesn't feel like a very cohesive album.  The second album is very consistent and at least feels like every song belongs on the same album as the others. Sure, it feels like a lesser Western Culture, but it's still pretty awesome.

Edited by Pnoom! - August 14 2008 at 16:30
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rileydog22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 16:35
The second album is certainly consistent, but at the expense of FUN.  Sure, the first album has duds, but that's because it's just two guys screwing around and having fun, and making some very interesting music in the process.  The second album is just a second-rate Henry Cow.  

Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pnoom! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 16:42
And the first one is screwing around at the expense of sounding good.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rileydog22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 17:10
Nah.  

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 17:22
I guess you'll have to agree to disagree guys.

I've heard both albums... but not recently, so I cannot remember them for the moment.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote song_of_copper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 17:24
I've got the house to myself until various inebriates return from the Beer Festival. Dead

What should I listen to right now do you think?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 18:07

I've got the house to myself until various inebriates return from the Beer Festival. Dead

What should I listen to right now do you think?

Well if you had it, I'd suggest Shub-Niggurath's Les Morts Vont Vite but as you don't... erm, well I don't know.

Try Ahvak again. Big%20smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote song_of_copper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 18:14
Haha, too late, I picked UZ, 'Heresie'.  And it's starting to work for me... Thumbs%20Up
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bj-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 18:14
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

Also, tell me about Present, and why you not only like it, but why it seems like Hughesman will possibly enjoy it.

Present are similar to Univers Zero, minus the classical intruments. Their music is dark and repetetive (not necessarly a bad thing) and more direct than UZ perhaps. I don't think they're as effective like UZ on an emotional level, but their arrangements are a joy to listen to. Sparse sometimes, yet detailed. Basically, If you like UZ, Present are a must-check-out, particulary their two first albums (which are among my absolute favorites ever).

RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bj-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 18:18

Haha, too late, I picked UZ, 'Heresie'.  And it's starting to work for me... Thumbs%20Up

Heard their others yet? If not, their debut and Ceux du Dehors (my favorite) are both highly recommended.Big%20smile
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 161>