Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCaptain Beefheart Theory

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 17:11
AMMMusic 1966 is up there.  But I'd definitely go with TMR.  

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 19:09
Trout Mask is one strange album, to this day.  I've been listening to it since it was released (that'd be nearly 40 years) and I still don't necessarily 'get' it all.  As another poster noted, songs such as Ella Guru are almost mainstream. 

The two earlier albums (Safe As Milk, Mirror Man Sessions) are closer to standard blues (though not in your usual 12-bar sense) and therefore a bit more accessible.

All in all, Beefheart & company (for let's not forget the talented musicians in his bands) are right up there with the best in my opinion.

It's too bad Lick My Decals Off, Baby (which immediately followed TMR) is not available on CD, at least the last time I checked.  It is in the vein of TMR.

Two often overlooked albums (because they are somewhat commercial) are The Spotlight Kid and Clear Spot.  These used to sell as a low-priced two-fer CD.  The production on these is pure slickness, but the songs transcend that.  I'd highly recommend both, if for no other reason than Click Clack and Big Eyed Beans From Venus.

To be avoided at all costs are Unconditionally Guaranteed and Bluejeans & Moonbeams.  These two misguided albums are a wreck. 

Of the later albums, Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) is my favorite.

"You mean to tell me it's that low yo-yo stuff?"

Edited by jammun - August 14 2008 at 19:13
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 19:19
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

AMMMusic 1966 is up there.  But I'd definitely go with TMR.  

*cough*Uncle Meat*cough*

Wink

I got TMR at the age of 12, I was barely into Can and Henry Cow so the first five listens was pretty frustrating. It growed on me a lot though, but it never was an album I played too often. Still, it's one of the Captain's best albums, along with Shiny Beast and Doc At The Radar Station. All those are 4-4.5 star albums, IMO.
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 19:31
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Originally posted by Pnoom! Pnoom! wrote:

Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

Originally posted by Pnoom! Pnoom! wrote:

Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

This music sounds very intriguing - I'll have to give it a go one of these days.

You will not regret getting Trout Mask Replica.

I wouldn't make that guarantee to anyone. 

I think NS is the type of person who will at the very least appreciate TMR and will not regret hearing it.

At the least I need to try the album as it's apparently a RIO/Avant "classic".

I second all of this. The first Beefheart album I heard was TMR and although his other works are good, this towers above the rest. There is simply nothing else out there that has tried or ever will try to do what TMR did. I believe it is easily a RIO/Avant "classic" and should be heard by anyone who dares to think they know all about music.
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 20:31
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

My experience was first encountering him on Zappa's Bongo Fury, which I found interesting.  My next one was Doc At The Radar Station, which I liked but didn't make me a big fan.  Trout Mask I tried a while after that one, despite it having a devoted following, I didn't care for it and still don't.  I picked up Safe As Milk a little while ago and it's got me interested in exploring more.

Considering all the weird music I like, you'd think Trout would have been a hit with me, but somethings just don't click sometimes.

Interesting i knew about he in almost the same way as you, via bongo Fury, which i found strangeTongue, then i have to re listen several times because at the same time it was my first Zappa album hahaha

Then several years later, i purchase Safe As Milk and i LIKE a lot, then i found my way out listening mirrorr man (fascinanting), Trout Mask Replica, Lick my Decals off The Spotlight Kid, Clear Spot, etc.

But i think the most emotional Beefheart that i found is in the song Futher That We´ve Gone for Bluejeans and Moonbeans

Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 21:17
Safe as Milk is the most accessible Beefheart album, since it's basically (awesome) blues with Beefheart's crazy vocals.  Occasionally, the tracks show his avant leanings (Electricity), but mostly it's just one of the best blues albums ever released.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 21:26
Originally posted by zafreth zafreth wrote:

My experience was first encountering him on Zappa's Bongo Fury, which I found interesting.  My next one was Doc At The Radar Station, which I liked but didn't make me a big fan.  Trout Mask I tried a while after that one, despite it having a devoted following, I didn't care for it and still don't.  I picked up Safe As Milk a little while ago and it's got me interested in exploring more.

Considering all the weird music I like, you'd think Trout would have been a hit with me, but somethings just don't click sometimes.

Interesting i knew about he in almost the same way as you, via bongo Fury, which i found strangeTongue, then i have to re listen several times because at the same time it was my first Zappa album hahaha

There's your basic one-two punch Big%20smile
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2008 at 18:55
Originally posted by zafreth zafreth wrote:

Then several years later, i purchase Safe As Milk and i LIKE a lot, then i found my way out listening mirrorr man (fascinanting), Trout Mask Replica, Lick my Decals off The Spotlight Kid, Clear Spot, etc.

But i think the most emotional Beefheart that i found is in the song Futher That We´ve Gone for Bluejeans and Moonbeans

I think you might be me.  Bongo Fury was my first Zappa album, too. LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2008 at 21:20
For all who's first experience with Zappa and Beefheart was Bongo Fury (and therefore Debra Kadabra), and that you chose to continue on the Zappa and Beefheart paths (you did, didn't you), congrats on being made of stern stuff Clap
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2008 at 23:53
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

For all who's first experience with Zappa and Beefheart was Bongo Fury (and therefore Debra Kadabra), and that you chose to continue on the Zappa and Beefheart paths (you did, didn't you), congrats on being made of stern stuff Clap

Thanks jammun after hear and understand that album, i bought nothing more and nothing less that Hot Rats of the FZ side and ASAM of the Doc side, and then... i fell in love completely with their music..

Big%20smile

A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2008 at 09:31
Originally posted by song_of_copper song_of_copper wrote:

I tend to think of Beefheart's music as being like the musical equivalent of one of those 3D pictures that you have to look at, look at again, look at a third time, keep looking at, and suddenly - all at once, when you've pretty much given up and relaxed your effort - it snaps into focus, and you can see what's really in there.  Glance at it quickly and all you see is random dots.  But get your eye in... and every time you look at it, you'll see something different.

I like that analogy but I could never get those pictures to work! Beefheart's more way-out music seems like an unstructured mess at first listen but everything is there for a reason. When the pattern becomes clear it's Magic!
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2008 at 11:12
Originally posted by A B Negative A B Negative wrote:

Originally posted by song_of_copper song_of_copper wrote:

I tend to think of Beefheart's music as being like the musical equivalent of one of those 3D pictures that you have to look at, look at again, look at a third time, keep looking at, and suddenly - all at once, when you've pretty much given up and relaxed your effort - it snaps into focus, and you can see what's really in there.  Glance at it quickly and all you see is random dots.  But get your eye in... and every time you look at it, you'll see something different.

I like that analogy but I could never get those pictures to work! Beefheart's more way-out music seems like an unstructured mess at first listen but everything is there for a reason. When the pattern becomes clear it's Magic!

I basically agree with you two on the subject of Captain Beefheart: His music takes so long to get into while not having that much in the way of craftsmanship (as commonly understood, at least Wink) is where its entire appeal comes from. The reason for this is that his underlying mindset is worlds apart from that of most music, even experimental stuff, which makes the process of understanding his music a rather mind-expanding experience in itself.

To be honest, I listen to Captain Beefheart very very rarely and I don't either have that much of an opinion about how good he is at what he does... but I already understand the ramifications of the Captain being an "outsider artist". Those artists are hard to appreciate but hard to judge objectively for the same reasons.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12