FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFor the prog fan that is not a prog fan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2008 at 06:56
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

ive given this band more than 3 tries, they just dont click with me. they're almost, dare i say, booooring. i actually fell asleep to one of their albums (and it was 3 in the afternoon and i wasnt tired prior) so yea, no. thanks for the suggestion though Smile

Must admit, they had the same effect on me. Maybe I just didn't hear the right albums...
forevergrateful68 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2008 at 18:26

You and I share a pretty similar taste. I'm also really into jam bands as well as prog. I can see why you would like Jazz-Fusion and all since that's basically how jam bands work, improvising and all. I'm guessing you have a pretty broad knowledge of the genre but here are some bands I really like that are on the jazzy side: Galactic, Medeski Martin & Wood, Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey, Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Victor Wooten (solo), The Big Wu, Aquarium Rescue Unit, Addison Groove Project...

If you have time also check out these bands: Perpetual Groove, Tea Leaf Green, STS9, Yonder Mountain String Band, and My Morning Jacket.

Glad you have an appreciation for Umphrey's McGee too, they are probably the best new band on the live circuit right now.
kem828 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2008 at 17:44
Originally posted by forevergrateful68 forevergrateful68 wrote:

You and I share a pretty similar taste. I'm also really into jam bands as well as prog. I can see why you would like Jazz-Fusion and all since that's basically how jam bands work, improvising and all. I'm guessing you have a pretty broad knowledge of the genre but here are some bands I really like that are on the jazzy side: Galactic, Medeski Martin & Wood, Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey, Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Victor Wooten (solo), The Big Wu, Aquarium Rescue Unit, Addison Groove Project...

If you have time also check out these bands: Perpetual Groove, Tea Leaf Green, STS9, Yonder Mountain String Band, and My Morning Jacket.

Glad you have an appreciation for Umphrey's McGee too, they are probably the best new band on the live circuit right now.

Absolutely agree, I was in a very similar position almost a year ago, so i got really into the prog jam scene. In addition to those above, try Particle, maybe even some Disco Biscuits.

Its tough to know if you enjoy a lot of these bands, as sometimes the studio album is nothing like the live experience. I didn't enjoy listening to STS9 until I saw them with Umphrey's, for instance.
Did I miss you talk about Bela Fleck and the Flecktones? because they are also quite fantastic.

Its alittle off, but I've recently been listening to two different spectrums of the "prog-jam" The Livetronica of The New Deal, as well as the bluegrassy jam band style of Tea Leaf Green. They are all fantastic bands, but it depends on what you are feeling like

-Tehan (Progandpoo)
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2008 at 18:54
Nice to hear that people are bringing up bands like MM&W, STS9 and Particle. I think these bands are creating a whole new type of prog rock that is being missed out on by a lot of people on this site.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2008 at 01:13

You know, I did skip over Bela Fleck, dunno how I mentioned Wooten and not Fleck...I only have a little Bisco and Particle but both bands are great. I'll definitely hit up a show if either of them are in town.

I've heard of The New Deal, but have yet to really check them out. I have seen Tea Leaf Green before (put on a free concert at my college!!) and they were awesome. Totally groovin' and played a cool Doors cover. I bought a bootleg CD of one of their Jam in the Dam performances and love it.

I was planning to go to the UM/STS9 show when they came to Atlanta but missed it due to sickness Cry. It's cool to see other people feeling the same music I love, especially since the jam scene has some of the best music out today.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2008 at 22:45
Originally posted by forevergrateful68 forevergrateful68 wrote:

Galactic i havent had a chance to check out, but i have all 3 of Stanton Moore's albums which are fantastic. The rest of those i havent heard of except Addison Groove Project. My friend owns some stuff by them, ill ask him if i can check out some of his cds. and im quite familiar with MM&W, and Victor Wooten. Which of the ones i havent heard would you say is best to check out first?

these bands i have never heard of either. will check them out.

thank you. they definitly are. seen them live twice. will again, next time theyre in my area
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2008 at 19:10

I'd say it all depends on what you're really into right at the moment. The best is probably the Aquarium Rescue Unit, but if you really want jazz-fusion done right, I'd go with the Dirty Dozen Brass band since they're style is much jazzier, with AQR being more on the rock side. The Big Wu is also more rock, while the JFJO is acid jazz more or less.

As for the other bands, I'd say that it's a must to check out Perpetual Groove, Tea Leaf Green, and STS9. P-groove is definitely my favorite, as I've seen them live many times. YMSB is great too, but it's bluegrass so I don't know how much you're into that, and My Morning Jacket is more indie-rock style than jam. They are pretty experimental though, which is something I like. Also check out The String Cheese Incident, as they are great too.

Remember, if you want a preview of what these bands sound like, you can check out www.archive.org to hear some live shows. A lot of the recordings are very well done, so just look for the right one. I'd recommend doing that before buying anything just to make sure it's what you want. Plus, you can use it to check out hundreds of other bands too.
Happy listening!
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2008 at 19:16
yea im into Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, Phish, String Cheese, moe, and other jam bands, so i enjoy bluegrass and appreciate it. i dont own any 'actual' bluegrass records, but i like it when i hear it.
Luna Tuna View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2008 at 21:01
Look to Italy, discover another nerve....
Banco (Darwin), Semiramis (Dedicato a Frazz), Balletto di Bronzo.
Good luck with the discovering!
;-)

Don't discuss taste...unless you agree ;-)
Lystmaler View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2008 at 04:30
Yeah, Italian Symphonic would be right up your ally I believe. The style is often jam like while still keeping that symphonic sound.

You mention world influences, which leads me to ask if you've heard Orphaned Land? They're of the metal variety but they have a pretty tight sound I believe you should at least check out. And if Metal is what you seek, Unexpect are a rather formidable band who offer, well, 'unexpected' variations in their music, which might offer the 'intensity' and variation you appear to want to discover.
mr70s View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2008 at 09:51
Goblin's Profondo Rosso is a great mix of gothic prog / jazz-rock. A previous release when they were known as Cherry Five is good also (think that is S/T) The self - titled Dedalus lp is worth checking out also.
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2008 at 18:11
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

This is me basically. I enjoy bands that make prog rock, but I dont like prog rock. Now before you all lynch me, let me explain.

There are people on this site (generally speaking) that are into prog rock and cant get enough of it. I am not one of those people. I dont generally 'look' for prog rock. If anything I am, more or less, seeking music that is jazz, funk, jazz-fusion, etc related.

I said, I enjoy certain bands that make prog rock, but the genre as a whole I technically dont listen to... Cry

Maybe you should check FROGG CAFÉ, from the USA. Highlights are "Creatures", "Fortunate Observer of Time" and the semi-live double CD "The Safenzee Diaries" --- all of them albums full of great prog music with lots of jazz and experimental elements, as well as some exciting jams here and there.

From Italy, you can check DEUS EX MACHINA and D.F.A. (both of them actually releasing new albums this year): jazz-oriented prog with a strong experimental edge, and a gusto for jamming. Also from Italy is ACCORDO DEI CONTRARI, whose music is more structured but there's good jamming as well.

"Five Suns", "Elixirs" and "Black Oni", the three latest GUAPO albums might as well appeal to you: the basic style is Zheul, yet the jazzy elements are clearly noticeable.

KARCIUS from Canada (Quebec) can also fit your preferential musical tastes.

From Japan... you can't go wrong with KBB: their three albums are some of the best that this country has ever delivered to the world of prog. And yes, the jazz element is a strong asset in their style.

From Spain, do not miss GURTH, PLANETA IMAGINARIO or SOMA.PLANET.

Hopefully, these reccomendatiosn will be useful for you.
   Kind regards. 
fusionfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2008 at 08:48
Excellent recommendations Cesar IncaClap!
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king
trackstoni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2008 at 06:52
   Take it easy Darkshade , on yurself , you must pay money , time , and sweat for yur earnings . i'm into progressive rock since 1968 , and i still enjoy my stuff up till now . I don't look at all for somethng new to buy , as my old albums satisfies me . You must always take into consideration these factors to get a step ahead in music . The right timing , the right place , the right people and the right mood . So , don't push things to the Extreme , wait for your turn in our school , YOU HAVE TO DIG A LOT my friend //////////////////Clown 
Tracking Tracks of Rock
OZ_Prog47 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2008 at 04:44
Hi guyz from Down Under,
 I'm reading these threads and find them of interest...... KBB have a new one out and could I suggest that you give a shoot to Outer Limits, Vermilion Sands, Interpose+ S/T, Rovo, Theta , Cinema, Teru's Symphonia or Pochaite Malko.... They all have a great violin playing amongst their ranks..... The Japanese scene is a very active on many fronts. Prog , zeuhl, jazz rock or more experimental stuff is all over the place..... It's one the country who absorb many influences and make them part of their scene.....
      G'Day for now         Erick

I am listening to music for the last 45 years..... Mainly prog jazz world dub cross over and anything with strings attached
pkazee View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2008 at 15:37
I tend to like the 70's prog I first became familiar with back in the day, but have not yet heard much new prog that excites me (though, like you, I keep listening!).  In general, when it comes to new music, I tend to like  that which takes me somewhere I've not previously been, and much of what is being made now simply sounds too much like what went before.

In fact, of the artists I've only become familiar with in the past year or so, the only two that have caused my head to turn have been:

BOB DRAKE (I'd suggest starting with WHAT TIME IS IT... or maybe the title is WHAT DAY IS IT... something like that, and then, if you like that, try ANIMAL MEDALION CARPET). and

AHVAK (I believe they only have one album to date).

As for older stuff that's different from the norm, I'd suggest trying the following, and if you like any of these, I'd be happy to make other recommendations:

CAN (Flow Motion and Limited Edition are both great, though the later - and more unusual of the two - is easier to find in a double-length collection titled Unlimited Edition, and I'm not really fond of any of the added material)

GONG (Shamal or Flying Teapot... the 1st is jazz/space/fusion, the 2nd definitive spacerock)

HENRY COW (LegEnd or Western Culture or Desperate Straights... in order of unusualness)

GREAVES & BLEGVAD (Kew. Rhone.   This one is sort of avant-prog jazz)

Good luck!
Paul
pkazee View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2008 at 20:04
Glad to see Soft Machine and Gong on your list.  I presume you know the later's SHAMAL?  Anyway, like you I have not heard much in the way of new prog that has excited me, though I've only come back for a taste during the past year.  One album from the past decade that has impressed me is Bob Drake's What Day Is it?  Have you checked this one out?  I'm also fond of his more recent, Medallion Animal Carpet, though it is quite different from What Day Is It?

Another newer album that impressed me is by a band called AHVAK.  I believe its their only album.

Going back to older stuff, you may be familiar with much of this, but if not, I'd recommend:

Rock Bottom - Robert Wyatt (of Soft Machine)

Leg End (aka Legend) - Henry Cow
   (or... if you're a bit more adventurous, then Henry Cow's Western Culture, or if you really like to swing
    toward the unusual, then Desperate Straights,  by H. Cow and Slapp Happy.

Kew. Rhone - Greaves & Blegvad (just maybe the greatest avant-prog-jazz album ever)

Flow Motion - Can
   (or, if you're ready for a very strange trip, then my fave... Limited Edition.  Unfortunately, this one
    is hard to find, except as an expanded double-disc edition titled Unlimited Edition.  I say that this is
    unfortunate because... for my money... none of the added material is nearly as interesting).

pkazee View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2008 at 20:06
sorry for the repost.  after posting the first message I got an error message telling me the post had failed, so I started over.  oh well...
CJCrackaMcNasty View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2009 at 21:50
  I feel for you.  It gets really annoying in my life because I don't have any friends as into a diversity of music as I am. All whom do live in wwwland.  However I started with Hip Hop and evolved from there.
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2010 at 19:44
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Hey Darkshade, You know I share your enthusiasm for Hancock and Miles, we both keep showing up in the same threads ha ha.
I was raised on classic early 70s prog rock. It's great stuff but there's only so many times I can listen to the same records. I keep looking for newer prog rock that I like, but there is a lot of weak material to wade through. Some post 70s bands I like include Ozric Tentaclees, Birds and Buildings, Jaga Jazzist, Shining, Maserati and Kensos.
There is also a lot of great progressive music in the modern world of electronic music, not exactly prog-rock but similar.

P.S. I don't care for new prog bands that sound like old prog bands, it's time to move on, most of the bands I listed draw on the past but still sound fresh and new.

This. I am all for the great bands of the 70s, but I just don't think bands these days should be doing that. It isn't the 70s anymore. I find stuff like Transatlantic a bit cheesy, actually. Unless that's the idea.
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>