Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHerbie Hancock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 23:20
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

i should be on the JR/F team Wink

hahahha... in a funny way... you are....  like me.. just unofficially.LOL  The J-R/F team works unlike any other here I've noticed.. that comes from having two real, true,  experts on the 'team'. One of the best examples of how the site should work in the truest sense of a collaborative site.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 23:22
Joe Zawinul (sp?), Wayne Shorter and Larry Young (who is already on so many albums on this site ie Santana, Miles, McLaughlin and Tony Williams Lifetime)should be added next. This has less to do with personal taste, but more with following the flow of ongoing additions and their relationship with people already on PA.

Also, I appreciate the idea of allowing progressive jazz fusion on this site and discluding that huge glut of mundane jazz fusion. In that spirit I would like to recommend the spin-offs from Herbie's most progressive band, Sextant, and would like to recommend solo albums by Bennie Maupin, Eddie Henderson and Julian Priester. Our good friend 'Roctapus' should be able to help with that.

Edited by Easy Money - August 22 2008 at 23:26
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 23:26

im down for Brubeck and Coltrane, but i wont be upset if they arent added. I can understand why a lot of people would prefer they NOT get added. But i'd be happy if they did. Im kinda neutral i guess.

btw, is Hancock still being looked at, or is it just a waiting game now? it seems most people want him here, and there have been many good arguments for addition.

Hugues has asked to do the bio....  when given the go ahead.. he'll be added.  There have been many good arguments, none more so than by Martin.. by  those who know the music.. agree for the most part. The only sticky point seems to be  the 'rock' aspect...  but what is 'rock' anyway...  that has different meanings to different people.   Sly and the Family Stone for example... Funk?... Rock?...  both?... ask lots of people.. will get lots of answers.   That is what we have experts and genre teams for.. to make those subtle distinctions. 

Edited by micky - August 22 2008 at 23:27
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 23:46
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

im down for Brubeck and Coltrane, but i wont be upset if they arent added. I can understand why a lot of people would prefer they NOT get added. But i'd be happy if they did. Im kinda neutral i guess.

btw, is Hancock still being looked at, or is it just a waiting game now? it seems most people want him here, and there have been many good arguments for addition.

Hugues has asked to do the bio....  when given the go ahead.. he'll be added.  There have been many good arguments, none more so than by Martin.. by  those who know the music.. agree for the most part. The only sticky point seems to be  the 'rock' aspect...  but what is 'rock' anyway...  that has different meanings to different people.   Sly and the Family Stone for example... Funk?... Rock?...  both?... ask lots of people.. will get lots of answers.   That is what we have experts and genre teams for.. to make those subtle distinctions. 

That's been my only ? with regard to Herbie.  In one sense he clearly belongs, in another sense he's more funk a la Sly or with the earlier stuff (Sextant) who knows what.   But I'm thinking when Sly was booked at Woodstock no one was thinking genres.  It was rock.  I mean, ya didn't see the Temptations there, unless my memory (always suspect) is failing me. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2008 at 00:14
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

im down for Brubeck and Coltrane, but i wont be upset if they arent added. I can understand why a lot of people would prefer they NOT get added. But i'd be happy if they did. Im kinda neutral i guess.btw, is Hancock still being looked at, or is it just a waiting game now? it seems most people want him here, and there have been many good arguments for addition.

That's been my only ? with regard to Herbie.  In one sense he clearly belongs, in another sense he's more funk a la Sly or with the earlier stuff (Sextant) who knows what.   But I'm thinking when Sly was booked at Woodstock no one was thinking genres.  It was rock.  I mean, ya didn't see the Temptations there, unless my memory (always suspect) is failing me. 

Well it's too damn bad the Mighty Tempts were'nt invited to Woodstock cos that would have been one hell of a party, by the way, while rockers were going through their 'progressive' phase in the early 70s, it was the same with many 'soul' artists, witness many lengthy multi-part psychedelic compositions recorded during the early 70s by the forementioned Temptations, Isaac Hayes and others.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2008 at 02:16
 ^ funny you mention Hayes, a friend just played me ...To Be Continued  (1970)  and I was quite surprised to see several songs well over ten minutes, and the strange 15-minute 'Medly:Ike's Mood l'   Confused  Cool

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2008 at 02:27
I like the two album soundtrack from Shaft. Lots of cool orchestrated semi-psychedelic RnB/jazz grooves. A friend of mine used to do repair work on Hayes' Mellotron and that weird multi-pedaled RMI kybd from the early 70s.

Edited by Easy Money - August 23 2008 at 02:27
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2008 at 03:02
Just heard his three albums from '70 to '72 and I'm not too keen on them. Nowhere near as song-oriented as I like. Confused

That being typed, I didn't hear much in the way of prog, unless jazz-fusion is prog by definition.
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2008 at 03:08
 ^ I think the real question is;  is jazz-fusion a part of jazz rock/fusion, and by association, prog

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2008 at 07:13

exactly why I used Sly is an example Clap  'Rock'?  what is it anyway...  has different meaning for different people.  Steely Dan was mentioned by Richard once as being a regular fixture on Jazz-Rock broadcasts on radio...  yet how many would label their music.. pop rather than rock..far too many I'm afraid

see rock as a more general terms than just screaming geetars.  Rock is a HUGE umbrella.. and always has been.. your Woodstock example being perfect. Clap
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2008 at 07:37
Having said that, you guys really need to look at early Earth Wind and Fire. They're on Progressive Ears. EW&F live in the mid 70s was one of the most progressive shows I have ever seen, right up there with Genesis (when they were good) and King Crimson.

Extended compositions, complex harmonies, very new and modern song writing style, best horns and vocals in the business and killer polyrhythmic percussion. Their live show was an extended modern jazz/RnB African flavored symphony, hard to tell when one song started and the other ended.

Of course they went commercial later, even working with our beloved Phil, Tony and Mike hit machine (kiss of death).

Edited by Easy Money - August 23 2008 at 07:45
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2008 at 08:58

I'd say I'd do the bio if no-one else volunteeredWink, but I rreally have enough todo right now.... so f anyone feels like it..... BE MY GUESTSmile

I think that it's important to highlight his Mwansishi era/band (that's Mwandishi, Crossings ans Sextant) and his Head Hunters era/days. Let's not include the non-Hancocck  Headhunters albums, though.

Edited by Sean Trane - August 23 2008 at 09:00
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2008 at 16:23
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Having said that, you guys really need to look at early Earth Wind and Fire. They're on Progressive Ears. EW&F live in the mid 70s was one of the most progressive shows I have ever seen, right up there with Genesis (when they were good) and King Crimson.

Extended compositions, complex harmonies, very new and modern song writing style, best horns and vocals in the business and killer polyrhythmic percussion. Their live show was an extended modern jazz/RnB African flavored symphony, hard to tell when one song started and the other ended.

Of course they went commercial later, even working with our beloved Phil, Tony and Mike hit machine (kiss of death).

great suggestion John ... will kick that upstairs.. see what they think.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2008 at 16:25
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I'd say I'd do the bio if no-one else volunteeredWink, but I rreally have enough todo right now.... so f anyone feels like it..... BE MY GUESTSmile

I think that it's important to highlight his Mwansishi era/band (that's Mwandishi, Crossings ans Sextant) and his Head Hunters era/days. Let's not include the non-Hancocck  Headhunters albums, though.

hahaha. sorry Hugues.. I must have misread you. 

Any takers.. if not.. I'll do it

and I agree..  the non-Hancock Headhunters is not included.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2008 at 16:46
I'll do the Herbie bio if no one else wants to, I don't want to elbow out you or Darkshade though.

Check it out, first Sancious review up and running, prog meets jazz fusion just like Ivan and Mike were looking for.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2008 at 16:55
Well, I guess at least all this means that you'll also have to accept Jamiroquai.Big%20smile
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2008 at 16:57
why not.. you accepted Blind Guardian didn't you....LOL

you are in no position to be a smart ass Mike....Wink
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2008 at 16:58

I'll do the Herbie bio if no one else wants to, I don't want to elbow out you or Darkshade though.

Check it out, first Sancious review up and running, prog meets jazz fusion just like Ivan and Mike were looking for.

go ahead John was hoping someone would take it.. it's yours... working on additions of my own now..

checking out the review Clap 
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2008 at 17:00
AngryThis is getting ridiculous.........

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2008 at 17:25

go ahead John was hoping someone would take it.. it's yours... working on additions of my own now..

checking out the review Clap 

Ha Micky now you're quoting Miles' song titles (from Big Fun).  I just knew it would come to this Big%20smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>